Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

In an interview with MTV, Brad Bird mentioned he had hoped to direct the movie:
“We were already deeply into ['Tomorrowland']. George [Clooney] had committed to it, and we were down the road a bit,” he said about the timing of his choice. “For a moment there, I thought that it would work out to do this and go right into ['Episode VII']. It was supposed to be summer of this coming year. There was no way to make that schedule and give this film the attention that it deserved, so I had to step away.”
Sounds like he might have been able to do both had Disney just scheduled the film for December from the beginning.

Also, Frank Marshall was at Pinewood last week and tweeted a shot of the poster Kevin Smith mentioned seeing during his set visit:

Last edited by joe_b; 10-14-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

Supposed concept art leaked:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...i-concept.html

Although I wouldn't put it past JJ to read ideas on forums and have an artist draw up fan ideas to throw everyone off the scent.

These images are pretty kick-ass though, and do reflect some of the rumors out there if true.
Old 10-15-14, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

The concept art LOOKS legit (who knows?) and, if so, it looks like we're in for a darker, grittier STAR WARS, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-15-14, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Supposed concept art leaked:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...i-concept.html

Although I wouldn't put it past JJ to read ideas on forums and have an artist draw up fan ideas to throw everyone off the scent.

These images are pretty kick-ass though, and do reflect some of the rumors out there if true.
Spoiler:
The guy holding Vader's helmet in the first pic doesn't make sense considering the armor was incinerated in a pyre at the end of ROTJ.
Old 10-15-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
The guy holding Vader's helmet in the first pic doesn't make sense considering the armor was incinerated in a pyre at the end of ROTJ.
Spoiler:
Two thoughts - it's likely certain parts of Vader's suit were made of extremely durable materials, wouldn't be surprised to see bits survive. Second thought: it's also likely Vader had multiple suit parts stashed away in different places, like his personal retreat and such. Not a stretch to imagine someone looting those places after 30 years.
Old 10-15-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Spoiler:
Easy - multiple parts. That stuff gets rank after a few days use.
Old 10-15-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get those things at any Empire Gift Shop.
Old 10-15-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
Two thoughts - it's likely certain parts of Vader's suit were made of extremely durable materials, wouldn't be surprised to see bits survive. Second thought: it's also likely Vader had multiple suit parts stashed away in different places, like his personal retreat and such. Not a stretch to imagine someone looting those places after 30 years.
Spoiler:
Yeah it makes sense to me that Vader likely had some spare parts for his suit. The concept art is pretty cool looking to me. Whats up with Chewbacca's right hand though?
Old 10-15-14, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see it being JJ fucking with us, but if it's true it sounds cool.

Last edited by anomynous; 10-15-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

How did Dark Empire explain it? Luke just found extra Vader armor?
Old 10-15-14, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous
I can see it being JJ fucking with us, bit if it's true it sounds cool.
There's a chance some of these are discarded concepts. The various Star Wars art books are filled with beautiful designs that look nothing like what appeared in the finished films. Still, a few of these pieces are too well rendered for me to believe they won't be appearing on screen. A couple of them almost looks like production stills (apart from the artist's signature at the bottom).

Spoiler:
- The wreckage of a TIE fighter and Star Destroyer littering the landscape of the desert looks quite striking. Using an overturned AT-AT as a makeshift dwelling is a brilliant idea.

- The alien in the second image reminds me of a small version of the Drac from "Enemy Mine" (morseo than the "Bill & Ted" creature he was described as resembling). The little droid reminds me a bit of Weebo from "Flubber". This piece of artwork looks like something from the Rebels cartoon series: the male and female could easily pass for Kanan and Sabine with the dim lighting.

- Sadly, I can see a bit of Luke in the cyborg from the first image -- but maybe that spoiler report from a couple weeks back is influencing my perception. For all we know, it could be Leia holding Vader's helmet. Now that would be a twist. It is curious that there have been virtually no rumors regarding her role in the film... but I doubt Disney would have asked Fisher to lose 40 pounds if her character was now a cyborg hiding under robes the whole movie.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
Whats up with Chewbacca's right hand though?
Spoiler:
The caption reads: BIONIC ARM FROM WAR WOUND. From what I've read, this concept was discarded early on -- though there was that alleged scene description that mentioned Chewie had his arm in a sling. Maybe he gets a robotic arm by the end of the film? Could be cool.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-16-14 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spoiler:
The caption reads: BIONIC ARM FROM WAR WOUND. From what I've read, this concept was discarded early on -- though there was that alleged scene description that mentioned Chewie had his arm in a sling. Maybe he gets a robotic arm by the end of the film? Could be cool.
I dunno how much I'd groove on that, sort of sounds goofy to me. I sort of hope that idea gets scrapped or already was.
Old 10-15-14, 03:55 PM

There's about a dozen more pieces of concept art posted here:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/
Old 10-15-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,807 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
if you're going to have someone holding a Vader helmet then it sort of needs to be the real one and not a spare. I seriously doubt Vader's armor, or cyborg parts for that matter, would have completely burned in the pyre. It's either made of metal or something else that is just as heat proof.
Old 10-15-14, 04:35 PM

^
Spoiler:
One of the concept pieces of the helmet is even labeled HELMET_BURNT. It reveals a metal mesh (hiding beneath the shiny black material) that gives the helmet and faceplate their shape.

As if the Abu Dhabi set photos weren't enough proof, it's clear that (much like the Rebels cartoon) they're mining old Ralph McQuarrie concept art for the movie. The piece with the girl walking into the back room reminds me of a costume design from the original film when the main hero was supposed to be female:

Last edited by joe_b; 10-15-14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
The pics of the helmet make me think the rumors about someone finding Luke's hand floating in space are wrong and it's actually Vader's. That would make a lot more sense since Luke's hand should be at the center of a gas giant.

I'm still holding onto my hope that the desert planet is actually Endor suffering the environmental impact of fallen debris.
Old 10-15-14, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_b
There's about a dozen more pieces of concept art posted here:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/
Spoiler:
The second to last pic is labeled "wampa saber." Is there going to be a wampa jedi?

I also noticed one pic labeled as "Massassi temple." If I remember right, isn't that the temple on Yavin 4 that Luke converts into the New Jedi temple? I think it was also originally Exar Kun's (ancient Sith Lord) temple.
Old 10-15-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Spoiler:
if you're going to have someone holding a Vader helmet then it sort of needs to be the real one and not a spare. I seriously doubt Vader's armor, or cyborg parts for that matter, would have completely burned in the pyre. It's either made of metal or something else that is just as heat proof.
Spoiler:
The helmet looks like its sort of scuffed up and a bit damaged but doesn't appear to be burned but its hard to tell from just that picture. Plus it may have been made out of some kind of a material that didn't burn like you said, so it could be the Vader helmet that Luke burned. Who knows what it'll actually look like or if that will even make the final film though since its just concept art.
Old 10-15-14, 05:51 PM

Spoiler:
The second to last pic is labeled "wampa saber." Is there going to be a wampa jedi?
Spoiler:
No, but that does sound hilarious.

It looks like the hilt is fashioned out of a wampa's claw. I think MakingStarWars.net mentioned something about this being the bad guy's saber.
Old 10-16-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@TheFilmStage
Kathleen Kennedy says Episode VII will conclude filming in 3 weeks, followed by 61 uninterrupted weeks of leaked material ahead of release.
9:03 AM - 16 Oct 2014
Old 10-16-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

how many weeks until the script is leaked online?

And will you read it?
Old 10-16-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll definitely read the scripts. I am more interested in the plot/story than anything else.
Old 10-16-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The screenplay to Episode I was in bookstores a week before the movie came out. I remember reading it while listening to the soundtrack and thinking, "This has to work better on screen. There's no way it's as shitty as this sounds."
Old 10-16-14, 02:52 PM

Warwick Davis has confirmed he will be appearing in Episode VII. Good for him. Out of all the Star Wars actor I've had the opportunity to meet at conventions, he was by far the nicest.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/us0MWzVBnxM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The screenplay to Episode I was in bookstores a week before the movie came out. I remember reading it while listening to the soundtrack and thinking, "This has to work better on screen. There's no way it's as shitty as this sounds."
I had the comic adaption beforehand, but I'm not sure if I read it before seeing the film. If I did, I still wasn't clear on every thing in the plot. On opening day, I had to go to the restroom during the big Queen Amidala decoy reveal and didn't really understand what was going on. Unlike most, I could easily tell the difference between Portman and Knightley in the film -- but I still didn't grasp what all the subterfuge was about (or if Natalie was actually supposed to be playing two different characters). Later, I discovered the whole royal decoy concept was just another idea Lucas ripped off from "The Hidden Fortress".
Old 10-16-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The Empire Strikes Back novelization was in stores a good month before the movie came out, because I read it before seeing the film. I also remember the comic book adaptation of ROTJ being released a few weeks before the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.