Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-14, 12:26 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,131
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 12:51 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
I still fail to understand why that one little moment is the cause of so much venom-spewing hatred by so many people, but it's on YouTube, so you can see for yourself without having to watch the whole movie.
Nobody ever says "Gee, I hate Mummy Returns because that pygmy rides the falling log Dr. Strangelove style". They are the same type of throwaway gag bits.
__________________
Cop: Of course. The head of security at Greendale Community College has kidnapped the real dean and replaced him with a "deanel-ganger.”
Jeff: Well, when you say it that way, it sounds ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 01:12 PM   #78
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,574
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
Nobody ever says "Gee, I hate Mummy Returns because that pygmy rides the falling log Dr. Strangelove style". They are the same type of throwaway gag bits.
Precisely. And even if it was as bad as people make it out to be, it's two seconds in a 100-minute movie that's filled with a lot of ridiculous shit.

The way that people sometimes zero in on the tiniest things with laser precision never ceases to amaze me. I've recently been making posts in defense of Alien vs. Predator, which I know a whole lot of movie nerds hated. I can understand people not liking the movie if they thought the acting, writing, and directing were poor. Fine. But those aren't the reasons I commonly hear cited for why people hated the movie. The #1 reason? The incubation time for the aliens is shorter than it was in previous Alien movies. It went from hours to minutes. Amazing as it seems, that's apparently a Huge Fucking Deal for a lot of folks.

I don't get it, and I never will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 01:36 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,820
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
Nobody ever says "Gee, I hate Mummy Returns because that pygmy rides the falling log Dr. Strangelove style". They are the same type of throwaway gag bits.
I hate Mummy Returns
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 01:49 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,127
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I wonder how many pitches in Hollywood use the words "grounded" and "darker" right now.
And let's not forget "grittier"
__________________
On the outside lookin in, and it's funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 10:42 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I hate Mummy Returns
Do you not like the movie as a whole, or simply because a lone pygmy pulled a Dr. Strangelove?
__________________
Cop: Of course. The head of security at Greendale Community College has kidnapped the real dean and replaced him with a "deanel-ganger.”
Jeff: Well, when you say it that way, it sounds ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 11:01 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,131
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Precisely. And even if it was as bad as people make it out to be, it's two seconds in a 100-minute movie that's filled with a lot of ridiculous shit.

The way that people sometimes zero in on the tiniest things with laser precision never ceases to amaze me. I've recently been making posts in defense of Alien vs. Predator, which I know a whole lot of movie nerds hated. I can understand people not liking the movie if they thought the acting, writing, and directing were poor. Fine. But those aren't the reasons I commonly hear cited for why people hated the movie. The #1 reason? The incubation time for the aliens is shorter than it was in previous Alien movies. It went from hours to minutes. Amazing as it seems, that's apparently a Huge Fucking Deal for a lot of folks.

I don't get it, and I never will.

I'm one of the few people that doesn't hate AVP Requiem. Why? The violence and make-up/creature effects lock it in for me even if the story sucks. It's that simple. I'm also one of the few Paul WS Anderson fans here, too. He's a great big budget B-movie director.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:26 AM   #83
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,392
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

I enjoyed the first 3 Mummy movies for what they were to me: escapist fun. I see no reason whatsover to redo these. This project can only be a cash grab by the studio(s), unless they turn out some outstanding cinematic entertainment (which I seriously doubt) they can bite me.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:35 AM   #84
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,661
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

I don't know, is rebooting The Mummy really a cash grab when it's based off a character/concept that's been around for decades?
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:37 AM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,470
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Precisely. And even if it was as bad as people make it out to be, it's two seconds in a 100-minute movie that's filled with a lot of ridiculous shit.

The way that people sometimes zero in on the tiniest things with laser precision never ceases to amaze me. I've recently been making posts in defense of Alien vs. Predator, which I know a whole lot of movie nerds hated. I can understand people not liking the movie if they thought the acting, writing, and directing were poor. Fine. But those aren't the reasons I commonly hear cited for why people hated the movie. The #1 reason? The incubation time for the aliens is shorter than it was in previous Alien movies. It went from hours to minutes. Amazing as it seems, that's apparently a Huge Fucking Deal for a lot of folks.

I don't get it, and I never will.

I just saw AVP for the first time, and thought it was really solid. Might even be the third best Alien movie.
__________________
"Go... go watch that inane new Kevin James comedy and drool into your Walmart mac and cheese." - TGM
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 12:43 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,131
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
I just saw AVP for the first time, and thought it was really solid. Might even be the third best Alien movie.

I think what soured some folks on AVP initially was that it was rated PG-13 then released as R rated for DVD and Blu-ray. AVP: Requiem tries to correct that with an initial R-rating right out of the gate but the story sucked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 02:15 PM   #87
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,574
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
I just saw AVP for the first time, and thought it was really solid. Might even be the third best Alien movie.
It's funny, James Cameron went around badmouthing AVP, saying that Fox was ruining the series by going that route. But then he actually saw the movie, and told an interviewer that he loved it and thought it was the third best Alien film. I agree with him, and I've heard from several other people who hated the movie before even watching it but were pleasantly surprised once they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I think what soured some folks on AVP initially was that it was rated PG-13 then released as R rated for DVD and Blu-ray. AVP: Requiem tries to correct that with an initial R-rating right out of the gate but the story sucked.
It's all about context, and in the context of the film, I didn't mind the PG-13 at all. It didn't feel like Live Free or Die Hard to me, where they shot an R-rated movie but edited out a whole lot to get a lower rating. Even in the theatrical version, AVP is far more violent and bloody then the original Alien and probably even Aliens, but since the majority of the violence is directed toward alien creatures who spew green blood instead of red, the MPAA went easy on them. The unrated cut I watched recently didn't add much violence, since there probably wasn't much to add; I only noticed one new digital blood splatter. Most of the alterations are added character scenes.

As for AVP2, I guess I would have enjoyed the graphic violence more if (A) it had been shot an edited in a competent way, allowing me to actually see some of it, and (B) it hadn't been so gratuitous. It feels like they're overcompensating for the PG-13 of the first movie, and just throwing in horrific violence for the sake of horrific violence to appease the gore-hounds. "Hey look, children being murdered! Pregnant women being murdered! Faces getting melted off! Yay, violence!" Couple that with the fact that the story is worthless, the action scenes aren't even 10% as creative as the ones in AVP, and there isn't a single character who isn't an insufferable jerkoff, and you've got a movie that's far worse than the first one.

The second one did have nice costumes, though. Tom Woodruff and his crew always do a great job in that area. It's just too bad that I could only actually see the costumes in the behind the scenes videos on the Blu-ray and not in the movie itself. The movie is so dark and shot and edited so poorly that it's impossible to even know what the hell you're looking at half the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 02:26 PM   #88
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,073
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Never saw the third film, but after reading that the Sasquatches make the football touchdown gesture, I'm glad I didn't, you know, because these monsters watch football and such.

/facepalm
And sasquatches and undead mummies actually exist.

But, yes, a tad silly wih the football gesture but the movie was set up like a living cartoon, for better or for worse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 08:43 PM   #89
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,336
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

This is so bad. I am not even going to watch this. Its not related to Universal. Its made by Halcyon International Pictures.





Last edited by Match; 05-09-14 at 08:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:50 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
It's in the Redbox at work. Must admit, I'm not interested at all.
__________________
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death
"Smart can't beat free."
Gillian Flynn
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 12:27 AM   #91
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,574
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Match View Post
This is so bad. I am not even going to watch this. Its not related to Universal. Its made by Halcyon International Pictures.



It doesn't look great and doesn't look awful. It just looks like every other movie, ever.

It's sad that we haven't gotten a really good mummy movie since, jeez... 1959? As much as I enjoy and will defend the Brendan Fraser movies, they're really more like Indiana Jones than traditional mummy films. The only mummy film I've seen in recent years that was even halfway interesting was Tale of the Mummy, which I think I mentioned in this topic a while back. It was directed by Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Resident Evil: Extinction) and had Christopher Lee in a tiny role. It's your typical late-90s horror film trash, but the fact that the mummy attacked people using his bandages like tentacles made it just a smidge more creative than your regular mummy tale.

It's too bad the filmmakers behind Dracula 2000 didn't keep going with revisionist Frankenstein and Mummy films, because theirs was the first truly creative take on Dracula in decades. Instead of the usual "Dracula is really Vlad the Impaler" crap, here we learn...

Spoiler:
...that Dracula is actually Judas Iscariot. It explains his hatred of Christian imagery and aversion to silver, because of the 30 pieces of silver he was paid to betray his friend. He tried to commit suicide out of shame but couldn't; his punishment was immortality. He can end his curse at any time by asking forgiveness, but refuses to do so. Since his betrayal of Christ was all part of God's plan, Judas felt he had a legitimate grievance with Him, and took his revenge by preying on God's children; this was the birth of vampirism.


Better than what Francis Ford Coppola gave us, no?

Even the more recent Dracula adaptations have gone back to the tired old "Mina is Dracula's lost love reincarnated" plot device, like the NBC TV series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I wonder if the new Mummy reboot will bother serving up this story again, since Dracula movies have been stealing it and rehashing it for the past few decades.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 02:34 AM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

I just hope these newer Mummy movies don't become those older Mummy movie sequels. How many goddamn ways can you creatively name your movie while still telling essentially the same basic story? (Thanks Svengoolie!)

About AVP: How is Lance Henriksen considered the 2nd person to be killed by Alien/Terminator/Predator? I heard a Predator "offed" him in AVP, but Bishop was neither human, nor "dead" at the end of "Aliens".
__________________
Cop: Of course. The head of security at Greendale Community College has kidnapped the real dean and replaced him with a "deanel-ganger.”
Jeff: Well, when you say it that way, it sounds ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 03:47 AM   #93
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,574
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I just hope these newer Mummy movies don't become those older Mummy movie sequels. How many goddamn ways can you creatively name your movie while still telling essentially the same basic story? (Thanks Svengoolie!)
It's like the Return of..., Revenge of..., and Curse of... titling scheme that affected both the Pink Panther and Halloween movies. Some of the Mummy titles seem truly random and make no sense at all. How is the mummy's hand significant in The Mummy's Hand? It could apply to any film in the series. So could titles like The Mummy's Tomb and The Mummy's Curse. I don't think horror films, monster movies in particular, started getting really good and story-specific titles until Hammer came along. Titles like Taste the Blood of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula not only sound bad-ass, they actually relate to the plots of those films.

Quote:
About AVP: How is Lance Henriksen considered the 2nd person to be killed by Alien/Terminator/Predator? I heard a Predator "offed" him in AVP, but Bishop was neither human, nor "dead" at the end of "Aliens".
I think it's one of those things where people really stretch to make some little piece of trivia sound interesting. It's like pointing out that only two of the actors who have played James Bond have been English. It's a statement that requires a little asterisk next to it, explaining that three of the others were at least British. Saying that Lance is the second person to have been "maimed horribly" by an Alien, Predator, and Terminator doesn't sound as good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 10:42 AM   #94
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,131
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Ha, Bill Paxton was killed by a Terminator, too. I forgot about that.

I forgot about Lance but remember the fanboys going wild at "Hudson" getting dispatched by an Alien and a Predator in their respective movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 10:50 AM   #95
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
It doesn't look great and doesn't look awful. It just looks like every other movie, ever.

It's sad that we haven't gotten a really good mummy movie since, jeez... 1959? As much as I enjoy and will defend the Brendan Fraser movies, they're really more like Indiana Jones than traditional mummy films. The only mummy film I've seen in recent years that was even halfway interesting was Tale of the Mummy, which I think I mentioned in this topic a while back. It was directed by Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Resident Evil: Extinction) and had Christopher Lee in a tiny role. It's your typical late-90s horror film trash, but the fact that the mummy attacked people using his bandages like tentacles made it just a smidge more creative than your regular mummy tale.

It's too bad the filmmakers behind Dracula 2000 didn't keep going with revisionist Frankenstein and Mummy films, because theirs was the first truly creative take on Dracula in decades. Instead of the usual "Dracula is really Vlad the Impaler" crap, here we learn...

Spoiler:
...that Dracula is actually Judas Iscariot. It explains his hatred of Christian imagery and aversion to silver, because of the 30 pieces of silver he was paid to betray his friend. He tried to commit suicide out of shame but couldn't; his punishment was immortality. He can end his curse at any time by asking forgiveness, but refuses to do so. Since his betrayal of Christ was all part of God's plan, Judas felt he had a legitimate grievance with Him, and took his revenge by preying on God's children; this was the birth of vampirism.


Better than what Francis Ford Coppola gave us, no?

Even the more recent Dracula adaptations have gone back to the tired old "Mina is Dracula's lost love reincarnated" plot device, like the NBC TV series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I wonder if the new Mummy reboot will bother serving up this story again, since Dracula movies have been stealing it and rehashing it for the past few decades.
I'm glad to see some love for the underrated Dracula 2000.
__________________
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 12:19 PM   #96
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,336
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

http://collider.com/the-mummy-andres-muschietti/

Quote:
Director Andres Muschietti Departs Universal’s THE MUMMY Reboot over Creative Differences

It’s not a great day for Hollywood remakes. First, the Point Break reboot lost star Gerard Butler due to creative differences and a scheduling conflict. Now, Universal’s reboot of The Mummy has parted ways with director Andres Muschietti over creative conflicts as well. Muschietti joined the monster movie less than a year ago, after his work on the more modestly budgeted film Mama generated buzz to go along with its box office take. It seems that the studio’s original plan was to go for a darker take on the horror icon – something Muschietti was on board for – but has recently decided to go in a more family-friendly direction.

According to The Wrap, Muschietti has departed Universal’s reboot of The Mummy in an amicable split over creative differences. Director Len Wiseman, who exited the picture citing scheduling conflicts just before Muschietti joined, previously spoke about the tone of the new film, saying:

“It’s horror. Its epic. It’s more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating.”

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts turned in the current version of the script, which was apparently darker and scarier than Universal wanted. Muschietti was on board with that take, but has departed due to the decision to develop more of a “four-quadrant, more family-friendly action-adventure blockbuster.” Perhaps the darker tone didn’t mesh with Universal’s plan to unite their horror icons under one mega monster movie banner. The good news for Muschietti is that he may be able to stay in house at Universal and return to the adaptation of the post-apocalyptic novel, Bird Box. The studio, however, will once again have to find another helmer to take over their monster property.

The Mummy is currently slated for an April 22, 2016 release date.
If Universal thinks making a family-friendly action-adventure blockbuster of The Mummy is a good thing. They needs to make this a darker scarier horror movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 12:29 PM   #97
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,131
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I'm glad to see some love for the underrated Dracula 2000.

That movie is a lot of fun and brought Gerard Butler into the mainstream. Also, that soundtrack was awesome. I have the Canadian Blu-ray import.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 12:19 AM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Ha, Bill Paxton was killed by a Terminator, too. I forgot about that.
Bill Paxton is the only man who has been killed by:

Terminator
Alien
Predator
&
Pat Benatar.
__________________
Cop: Of course. The head of security at Greendale Community College has kidnapped the real dean and replaced him with a "deanel-ganger.”
Jeff: Well, when you say it that way, it sounds ridiculous.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 05:10 PM   #99
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,684
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Alex Kurtzman to Direct 'The Mummy' Reboot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...source=twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 05:41 PM   #100
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Interesting. Same thing applies to Orci. We'll see where they go.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0