Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
I'm a Tintin fan and loved it
15.38%
I'm a Tintin fan and liked it
7.69%
I'm a Tintin fan and was disappointed
11.54%
I'm a Tintin fan and think the trailer looks like crap--no interest in seeing it
3.85%
I'm a Tintin fan but will wait for download, stream, or optical media
0%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and loved it
23.08%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and liked it
9.62%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and was underwhelmed
15.38%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and think the trailer looks like crap--no interest
11.54%
I don't know much or anything about Tintin and will wait for download, stream, or optical media
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Adventures of Tintin (D: Spielberg, 2011): The Reviews Thread

Saw it in 3D and thought that aspect of it was not utilized as well as it could have been.
Certainly not up to the 3D standard that UP and Avatar have set.
The story was just a mish mash and mildly incoherent.
The animation and the digital realization of the universe was sublime however.
Looking forward to what Jackson or someone else will do with the sequels (are they still making a trilogy out of this?)

Anyone else spot the Sumatran rat monkey reference?
And did anyone else spot Spielberg's headshot and likeness used on the sultan character? The one who kept the ship model in bulletproof glass.
Old 01-31-12, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fmian
Saw it in 3D and thought that aspect of it was not utilized as well as it could have been.
3D rarely is.
Old 01-31-12, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
3D rarely is.
Yes I have found that it rarely is too.
Although I would have expected better from Spielberg.
Even Final Destination used it better.
Old 01-31-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I did a little more digging:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...96165f22d0.961

Spielberg announces new Tintin movie

(AFP) – Dec 12, 2011

NEW YORK — Steven Spielberg announced in New York a sequel to his 3D movie version of the comic book hero Tintin.

He told a press conference Sunday that "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson would direct the new film and that he had already chosen the book by the Belgian author Herge that would serve as the basis for the script.

Spielberg was promoting the US premiere on December 21 of his "Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn," which already premiered in Brussels in October and has been on European, Middle Eastern and Indian release.

In the sequel, the comic books' bumbling Thompson detective twins "have a much bigger role," Spielberg said.

This time, Spielberg will produce and Jackson will direct, swapping their roles in "Unicorn."

"It's being written right now and he's directing it after he does 'The Hobbit' and I'll produce it with him as he's produced this with me," Spielberg said.

"We have the story and we have the book we're adapting from Herge and we can't wait to get started."
http://collider.com/kathleen-kennedy...ark-3d/130315/

Producer Kathleen Kennedy Talks JURASSIC PARK 4, a 3D Re-Release for JURASSIC PARK, and the TINTIN Sequel

Kennedy: Oh yeah it is being moved forward, in fact Steven and I were talking about it this morning. We’re working on a script right now, we’ll see a script probably February or March. If we can do some camera capture this summer, which I think we could do, then we would be on track to have the movie either Christmas 2014 or summer 2015, and so that’s what we’re looking at right now.
Old 01-31-12, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like previously stated....get Edgar Wright for Tintin 3.
Old 01-31-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

What I want to know is what stories they're adapting for the second one. The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun was rumored but I think they said that's not happening. It's too early for Destination Moon. There aren't a ton of other two parters, so they'd have to do some clever combining, but that could be good in its own right.
Old 01-31-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please for the love of god don't rewrite anything.
Why it took 3 top shelf screenwriters to write what had already been written I'll never know.
Use the comics as a panel by panel storyboard for the films like Sin City and 300.
In fact, just get Zack Snyder to sort the next ones out.
Old 01-31-12, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....ehhhh I dunno about that. I liked Spielberg's movement of the camera in Tintin. I'd let them keep their direction of the frame. I don't mind rewriting up the dialogue a bit.
Old 02-01-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sin City was written in a dynamic, cinematic style. Tintin was not. And part of the issue of the first movie was that they were combining two separate stories so that required some writing work.

As far as which stories to use, it could be interesting if they don't go for one of the official two-parters. Cigars of the Pharaoh and The Blue Lotus could be pretty spectacular. I like the thought of a Syldavia thing with King Ottokar's Sceptre and The Calculus Affair.
Old 02-01-12, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of TinTin .. I hesitantly anticipated the movie, hoping it wouldn't be a mess, but stay true to the spirit of the books.

Spielberg and Jackson were partially successful.
The movie started very well .. (I saw the 3D release) .. but as the story progresses, certain Spielberg-isms kicked in.
The final sequences in the movie were overblown in their action, and more like an animated Indiana Jones than TinTin.
Then another thing that really puts me off Spielberg (and many other directors), the overwhelming orchestral soundtrack where every moment is telegraphed ahead by the music score. No subtlety. And it is LOUD! Far too loud.

Summary .. I really enjoyed the movie at the start, but by the time the movie ended, I was done too.
That said, I'll definitely pick up the Blu-Ray disc. I know, I sound ambivalent.
Old 02-01-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like the thought of a Syldavia thing with King Ottokar's Sceptre and The Calculus Affair.
That would be awesome, the only thing is that Ottokar's Sceptre doesn't have Haddock, so they'd have to do some changes to incorporate him without just shoehorning him in. Plus a number of his adventures sans Haddock were shown in the articles in his apartment.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing those stories (Ottokar's Sceptre is awesome), but when translated to film we lose Snowy's sarcastic commentary, which went away when Haddock came into play.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-01-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-01-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's the problem if they're committed to Haddock. If it's an early story, you have to shoehorn him in or explain that he's somewhere at the bottom of a whiskey barrel for the duration.

A lot of the stories that have connected elements are early and late, e.g., Chang in The Blue Lotus and Tintin in Tibet, Alcazar in The Broken Ear and Tintin and the Picaros. That kind of combination would need some skillful reworking.
Old 04-06-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Random bump but I rewatched this on Netflix for the first time since it was in theaters. I liked it then and still think it’s a pretty good movie. Fun action/adventure and the humor works pretty well.

My one knock against it would be the photo realistic CG they went for. I think I almost would have preferred more of a straight up animation look personally as the way it’s done looks odd at times. Not enough to where I dislike the film though.

I would definitely see a sequel as the film was clearly set up that way, but it seems doubtful that will ever happen as this one is already nine years old. Good film though and a somewhat underrated/forgotten Spielberg film in my opinion.
Old 04-06-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still waiting on that sequel which they keep promising.
Old 04-07-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I recently watched it on Tubi for the first time. It was bad in all kinds of ways. The characters were right in the middle of the uncanny valley. The physics changed from realistic physics to cartoon physics and back again so there was no dramatic tension. The plot was nonsense: the big reveal was that the villain was after the good guy because their ancestors had fought once, three hundred years ago. There were scenes of beautiful animation followed by scenes of sloppy animation. Tintin was changed from a boy reporter to an action hero who faces a dozen men with machine guns and wins. Snowy was changed from an ordinary dog to someone who was smarter than anyone else in the room -- but only if it advanced the plot.