Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt)

I think this film gets off to a somewhat funny start with its cast, but along the way, the film's running time feels like 5 years, and it just went on and on, and the middle section of the film really sags. Segal's writing buddy, Nicholas Stoller directed this film, and his direction is nothing special, but he really gets up close at times, so close you could see the peach fuzz on Emily Blunt's face in one scene due to the lighting and angle of her face. There are bits of comedy that work, but it gets dragged down by many of the other scenes that languish on the screen, and bored this viewer.

I give it 2.5 star, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-29-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I saw it this afternoon. Pat is right, the beginning is probably the best part than really drags through the middle and ends almost abruptly. But it had a good amount of laughs and uncomfortable moments. I enjoyed it, needs be about 15 min. shorter though. I'll go 7/10.
Old 04-29-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

My thoughts:

I did enjoy it, and Chris Pratt did a great job. I was a bit hesitant at Allison Brie doing an English accent, but she seemed to pull it off well. Though I wonder if it slipped when she was doing the Elmo voice. I'm interested in how people do voices while doing accents, or vice versa. Like when Mike Judge is voicing Butthead, but Butthead is doing his bad Italian accent, or Beavis doing Cornholio. It takes some effort to think about how the character would say something in his way.

It was awesome seeing the hotel dude from Forgetting Sarah Marshall as the taco customer. I wish we would see more of him in other movies.

There was a scene in the hospital that made Emily Blunt's nose and chin look bright orange, I was questioning the lighting/make-up decision there.

And I'm no psych student, but that donut experiment seemed extremely simplistic and drew some pretty wild conclusions from just one aspect of someone's decision making. I know the prof pointed it out later, but holy shit, that was the basis of pretty much everything for Blunt's character.
Old 04-29-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I saw it last night. It's got some very funny stuff, but for a light comedy, it has a surprising amount of weight to it. It deals with some very specific relationship issues that I don't think I've seen addressed in mainstream comedies before this. Segel and Blunt are really terrific and have a believable chemistry with each other.

As Tarantino pointed out, the movie feels very long, but I actually think that worked in the film's favor, as by the end, it felt like a significant amount of time had passed and I could understand the desperation of the characters.

It's worth seeing, but a lot of people will probably hate it.

I agree.
Old 04-30-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Pratt stole the movie and made it tolerable...didn't like a few of the weird turns it took (food facial scene) but enjoyed it for the most part... I do think there was a GREAT 90 minute comedy in there somewhere but it looks like Stoller is taking a page out of the Apatow playbook and saying 'editing for pace be damned!'
Old 04-30-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This opened at #5 this weekend, so I guess there's no R-rated summer comedy this year that will spin its tires for a few months like The Hangover in 2009 or Bridesmaids last year.
Old 04-30-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ That's because summer comedies aren't meant to take up loads of people's time to view.

I've only seen Community in spots, and few of what I see have Alison Brie. Is she always that cute and quirky?
Old 04-30-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I've only seen Community in spots, and few of what I see have Alison Brie. Is she always that cute and quirky?
Yes. Check out the various Community threads in the TV forum. The people here have a strong affinity for her.
Old 04-30-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Allison Brie also shows up periodically on "Mad Men" as Trudy, Pete Campbell's perky wife.
Old 04-30-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is going to be my birthday movie tomorrow. A tradition since I saw True Romance in 1993. I also plan to get some pie.
Old 04-30-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ That's because summer comedies aren't meant to take up loads of people's time to view.
According to IMDB, the theatrical cut of Bridesmaids is actually one minute longer than Five-Year Engagement.

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 05-01-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just got back from this and while i didn't think it was as good as FSM...i still liked it. i do agree that atleast 15-20 minutes could've been cut but i never got bored with it. i loved the van morrison themed soundtrack and the ending was really very sweet. oh and emily blunt and alison brie are 100% adorable.
Old 05-02-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I think this film gets off to a somewhat funny start with its cast, but along the way, the film's running time feels like 5 years, and it just went on and on, and the middle section of the film really sags. Segal's writing buddy, Nicholas Stoller directed this film, and his direction is nothing special, but he really gets up close at times, so close you could see the peach fuzz on Emily Blunt's face in one scene due to the lighting and angle of her face. There are bits of comedy that work, but it gets dragged down by many of the other scenes that languish on the screen, and bored this viewer.

I give it 2.5 star, or a grade of C+.
Saw this last night and thought the exact same thing. Felt like they were taking the full 5 years out on the audience.

Definately some funny bits and I think a good cast but it was just too long and slow to work for me.
Old 05-06-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And I'm no psych student, but that donut experiment seemed extremely simplistic and drew some pretty wild conclusions from just one aspect of someone's decision making. I know the prof pointed it out later, but holy shit, that was the basis of pretty much everything for Blunt's character.
The Marshmallow Test is a famous test from the 1970's.

<hr>

I didn't think the movie dragged... I knew it would take a long time to go through all five years. It didn't feel like it was over two hours to me.

Loved the movie and really liked all the "Apatow" players coming back, especially both Kevin Hart and Gerry Bednob (the guy who threatens on unsheath his blade in The 40 Year Old Virgin).

The guy who played Ming was also in Community as well as The Sarah Silverman Program (with Brian Posehn). There's definitely multiple connections among all the actors.

The movie itself was funny, sweet in the right parts, and hit the right notes.
Old 05-06-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
The Marshmallow Test is a famous test from the 1970's.

<hr>
Yeah I can understand the marshmallow thing. I'm talking about her extrapolating that and using the exact same situation and trying to apply it to adults and drawing wild conclusions. And then Jason Segal pretty much tore down her entire thesis with his explanation. Even the professor later said the idea sucked.
Old 05-06-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
This is going to be my birthday movie tomorrow. A tradition since I saw True Romance in 1993. I also plan to get some pie.
Has a friend of your's who also is a True Romance fan ever sent a hooker to pick you up at your birthday movie only for it to lead to a wild adventure full of coke, pimps, and movie producers?

If so, I am glad after all that the birthday movie tradition still lived on.
Old 05-08-12, 09:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Wife and I saw it today and both enjoyed it. Nothing that special, but fun and better than most recent films of this type IMO. My favorite parts were the ones with Andy from Parks and Rec and Alison Brie from Community. Interesting that it had at least one major supporting cast member from the four NBC Thursday night comedies.
Old 05-08-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This wasn't nearly as funny as I expected it to be. The trailers pretty much showed the majority of the slap sticky outrageous funny stuff. I agree with those that said it felt a bit long, and some of the middle parts dragged for me too. I actually didn't like Chris Pratt at all, he came off as a pretty typical obnoxious friend character. The only thing I liked was him singing.

I have to say though, my favorite part was
Spoiler:
the elmo and cookie monster voice, which was absolutely hilarious and awesome to see
Old 05-09-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Wife and I saw this a bit earlier today. I liked it, but it was definitely a bit too long. I wasn't bored with it, but I did start to get a bit restless near the end.

The oddest part to me was the fact that theater was stone silent pretty much throughout the movie. My wife and I were the only ones actually laughing. Had a total Max Cady/Cape Fear moment there.
Old 05-15-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The wife and I both liked it, but we thought it was too long as well, considering the pace of the film.

Three of out of five stale donuts.

Really liked the cast.

I didn't realize Alison Brie and Chris Pratt were in this, so that was a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-07-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This is one of those movies that will play well on cable. It's very funny in spots and enjoyable overall, but it's episodic in nature which plays better when not forced to take it in all at once (ie - in a theater), if that makes any sense.

I really liked it overall and didn't mind the leisurely pace of the whole thing, it was the proper mix of comedy and drama for the type of movie it was trying to be.
Old 09-07-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ I feel the same. Too much for a single sitting, but catching bits here and there could make it tolerable. If I come across "Cookie and Elmo" when it's on cable, I won't be changing the channel until it's over.
Old 09-08-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

^ I feel the same. Too much for a single sitting, but catching bits here and there could make it tolerable. If I come across "Cookie and Elmo" when it's on cable, I won't be changing the channel until it's over.
That part was awesome.
Old 09-08-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://youtu.be/yONXy9dccf0

Can't embed
Old 04-11-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't care for it as much as some here. Way too long and quite depressing in spots, with not a lot of humor. There were a few segments like the venison bit and conversations with the other psych students that just killed the movie in its tracks.

Best scene were the Elmo/Cookie Monster scene, which was actually when I realized that Alison Brie wasn't English because she kept losing her accent.
I also liked the scene at the end
Spoiler:
when they are in the park for the wedding and picking out the music, clergy, and dress as they rush through.

Of course, there's some Segel man-ass for anyone interested.