DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/597169-five-year-engagement-2012-dir-stoller-jason-segal-emily-blunt.html)

riotinmyskull 12-08-11 06:02 AM

THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt)

http://i39.tinypic.com/14wrfqd.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IoRF_Bzuwtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A comedy that charts the ups and downs of an engaged couple's relationship.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1195478/

Solid Snake 12-08-11 07:11 AM

Re: THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) (dir. Stoller) (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt)

I might see this..seems to hit some predictable notes but... the enjoyable mostly in the positive than in the negative for me.

davidh777 03-27-12 12:02 PM

On February 15, 2012, the MPAA announced the film has been given an R rating

Matthew Chmiel 03-27-12 01:11 PM

I'm there opening weekend simply due to the fact Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller are involved. :thumbsup:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek and The Muppets. The men are three for three when working together.

Yes, I know Segel isn't a credited screenwriter for Get Him to the Greek, but he wrote a majority of the songs for the film alongside a producing credit.

sauce07 03-27-12 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11168626)
I'm there opening weekend simply due to the fact Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller are involved. :thumbsup:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek and The Muppets. The men are three for three when working together.

Yes, I know Segel isn't a credited screenwriter for Get Him to the Greek, but he wrote a majority of the songs for the film alongside a producing credit.

Ahem

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2965/10658753.jpg

3/4

Dr. DVD 03-28-12 09:50 AM

^ I didn't know Segel had anything to do with the script for that POS. I am glad that Five Year will allow Segel and Blunt to have center stage as opposed being props for Jack Black goofiness.

Kory 03-28-12 12:56 PM

There is some awesome footage of the cast (Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, and Alison Brie) singing karaoke at a bar in Ann Arbor on YouTube. I believe John Krasinski is also there singing, as I believe he's married to Emily Blunt?

Solid Snake 03-28-12 01:11 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7OjFtv7LZRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qxMios7YTr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

riotinmyskull 03-28-12 01:28 PM

i didnt think i could love alison brie any more. i was wrong.

Kal-El 03-28-12 01:47 PM

I love Emily Blunt but can't stand Jason Segal outside of HIMYM so I'll most probably skip this.

Dr. DVD 03-28-12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11170204)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7OjFtv7LZRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The two guys to whom these women are attached may consider themselves my worst enemies.

Solid Snake 03-28-12 09:06 PM

Yeah, I love Brie. LOVE LOVE her on Community. It was a nice surprise to see that she was in Mad Men when i got the BF deal on the 3 seasons back in 2010. She's so fucking cute.

bluetoast 03-28-12 09:09 PM

That grandparents chat/funeral thing reminds me of something that would be in an Aardman animation movie....just seemed like that tone/type of humor. I'm interested in this, saw the trailer a while back, but it's making the theatrical rounds now.

Tarantino 04-28-12 10:06 AM

I saw this last night. Chris Pratt really steals the show as Segal's best friend. His scenes are just hilarious. The movie had a lot of funny bits. However, it's way too fucking long. It's over 2 hours long but feels like it's about 3 hours long. It just fucking drags.

Also, I didn't see him in the trailer, so I didn't know he was going to be in this (granted, I watched the trailer a really long time ago, so he may have been in there and I just didn't see him), but I loved the small
Spoiler:
Kevin Hart
role.

My rating was a 6/10. If the editor had cut a lot out and brought it in at an hour and a half, I probably would be rating it higher.

TomOpus 04-28-12 10:32 AM

It was interesting to see 2 local TV film critics thrash the movie (one gave it 1 out of 5) in their first segment of the morning news show. The second segment had the one who hated the movie interviewing the stars and saying how funny they were and how great some of the scenes were. I know they don't want to piss off any stars but I'd like to see someone actually give some nice, negative feedback.

davidh777 04-28-12 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11209672)
It was interesting to see 2 local TV film critics thrash the movie (one gave it 1 out of 5) in their first segment of the morning news show. The second segment had the one who hated the movie interviewing the stars and saying how funny they were and how great some of the scenes were. I know they don't want to piss off any stars but I'd like to see someone actually give some nice, negative feedback.

But they did give negative feedback, in the first segment. Do you mean they should throw it in the stars' faces? Good luck getting future interviews.

CaptainMarvel 04-28-12 11:31 AM

I saw this last night and thought it was very, very good. The audience seemed to really enjoy it as well.

I never felt as if the movie was overly long (well, except that I had to pee).

Greg MacGuffin 04-28-12 11:32 AM

I saw it last night. It's got some very funny stuff, but for a light comedy, it has a surprising amount of weight to it. It deals with some very specific relationship issues that I don't think I've seen addressed in mainstream comedies before this. Segel and Blunt are really terrific and have a believable chemistry with each other.

As Tarantino pointed out, the movie feels very long, but I actually think that worked in the film's favor, as by the end, it felt like a significant amount of time had passed and I could understand the desperation of the characters.

It's worth seeing, but a lot of people will probably hate it.

Dr. DVD 04-28-12 03:02 PM

Saw it. I liked it overall, but someone needs to tell Apatow and his production teams to take some editing lessons. They could have cut 20 minutes from this and made it palpable. It came across like a Michael Bay approach to a romantic comedy: instead of a bunch of action sequences connected by a thin plot, they decided to have a bunch of comedic scenes in the same vein. All of the actors were top notch, and while Chris Pratt was funny, I thought Fred Schepsi was more of a scene stealer. The fact that this movie had Emily Blunt, Mindy Kaling, and Alison Brie gives it a bias from me, as does Jason Segal.

I think there should be a rule that Emily Blunt and Alison Brie do something together at least on a yearly basis,
Spoiler:
the Cookie Monster vs. Elmo scene was brilliant.
They seem to have a rapport and it shows, whether on screen or at karaoke bars. ;)

Jon2 04-28-12 10:58 PM

Wive and I saw this today, and I have to agree with Jeffy Pop and Dr. DVD. Fairly pleasant enough light rom-com with a few hysterical moments and a touch of serious relationship issues. Although it did drag a bit, here and there, it didn't feel like two hours.

Also, didn't get the feeling that five years had elapsed in the story or character's lives.

Double_Oh_7 04-29-12 01:01 AM

You obviously have never worked in television.

bluetoast 04-29-12 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 11210417)
Also, didn't get the feeling that five years had elapsed in the story or character's lives.

Now this is what I was afraid of. Still looking forward to it though.

The Bus 04-29-12 02:51 AM

That will never happen. They'll get blacklisted by the publicists or the studio and won't be on the next junket.

TomOpus 04-29-12 10:19 AM

:lol: Geeeze, I never said it would ever happen. Just said it would nice to see it happen. I'd also like to see $1 popcorn and soft drinks at the theater and $5 tickets for every show.

bluetoast 04-29-12 10:45 AM

The closest I can get you is $6 before 6, but mostly for art house fare. :D