Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal acknowledges the elephant in the room..."We make shitty movies"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Universal acknowledges the elephant in the room..."We make shitty movies"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Universal acknowledges the elephant in the room..."We make shitty movies"

Jesus, that's real? It reads like something from The Onion.
Old 11-04-11, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a surprise! People who think an over-caffeinated geek-hero piece of crap like Scott Pilgrim is a good movie don't like a deliberately slow-paced moody, atmospheric film like Wolfman. Go figure.
Old 11-04-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

As a counterpoint, Scott Pilgrim is at 81% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Wolfman is at 33%.
Old 11-04-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Universal has always been a schlocky studio. There was a period there in the 1930s when Carl Laemmle Jr., the studio head's son, tried to make prestige movies--they even had Irving Thalberg working there before he went over to MGM--and they even won a Best Picture Oscar for ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. But it was the horror films that kept them going in the early 1930s (FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA, THE MUMMY, THE INVISIBLE MAN) and when they were on the cusp of bankruptcy in 1937, teenage singing star Deanna Durbin saved the studio with a series of light musicals (e.g. 100 MEN AND A GIRL, MAD ABOUT MUSIC) that proved enormously popular. In the 1940s it was Abbott & Costello (BUCK PRIVATES, HOLD THAT GHOST, et al) and the team of Jon Hall and Maria Montez (ARABIAN NIGHTS, COBRA WOMAN, etc.) that kept the studio afloat.

And in the 1950s, it was more monster and sci-fi films (CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, TARANTULA, THIS ISLAND EARTH, etc.), Audie Murphy westerns, and low-budget swashbucklers with Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis that dominated the studio slate until Hudson and Curtis became big enough stars to carry bigger-budgeted product and Hudson began teaming with Douglas Sirk on one hand and Doris Day on the other. Douglas Sirk did most of his 1950s films at Universal and things like MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION and IMITATION OF LIFE were hugely popular but derided by critics, and only later became "classics."

And in the 1960s, Universal went into TV production big time, pioneering TV movies and longer-length series, e.g. "The Virginian," "Name of the Game." It was the last studio to have actors under contract, but they tended to be lower tier stars like George Peppard, Doug McClure, Michael Sarrazin, Rosemary Forsyth, and James Farentino. But at least they gave us some early Clint Eastwood starrers like COOGAN'S BLUFF, TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA, THE BEGUILED, and JOE KIDD, and his earliest directorial efforts, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, BREEZY and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER. Of course, he soon switched over to Warner. (Eastwood had been under contract to Universal as a male starlet in the 1950s.)

And then in the 1970s there were the AIRPORT movies and, of course, they nurtured the career of the biggest schlockmeister of them all...Steven Spielberg! What was JAWS if not a high-end take on CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-04-11 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-04-11, 10:20 AM

Because trendy, popular films have never disappeared from the public eye and unpopular films have never stood the test of time?

For amusement, people should look at Oscar winning films and see how many the average person even knows from previous decades and see how many fantastic films are not represented at all.

I'm just tired of people endlessly bashing films like Wolfman because it's so popular to do, instead of just giving it a chance or admitting that they just don't like the genre or the niche of the film itself. It wasn't a badly made film. It was a well-made film that was deliberately aiming for a particular mood that a lot of people just didn't care for. That doesn't make it a bad film.
Old 11-04-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
When I think of Universal I think Back to the Future, Jaws and E.T.
Me too. Sad that when I think of Universal I think of movies 25-30 years old. Heck, even Jurassic Park was almost 20 years ago.

I suppose Dreamworks was the worst thing to happen to Universal. When Spielberg left it just made their shittastic films all the more glaring now that there's no Spielberg films to hide behind.
Old 11-04-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not like Wolfman was some untested product. It was a remake of a classic with name recognition. It had a fairly well-known star and strong supporting cast. It's in a genre that has done well and followed a string of remakes and reinventions of Universal monsters that had done well up to a point (The first two Mummy films, Van Helsing at least hit $100 million).

Despite all that it kind of sucked and didn't light up the box office. I don't see the Wolfman remake standing the test of time.
Old 11-04-11, 10:54 AM

Van Helsing was a steaming turd of a film. It had an abysmal story, terrible direction and was incorrectly marketed as being a love-song to Universal's classic monster movies in order to trick fans of those films into the box office. It had much more in common with Hammer films, which Universal doesn't own all of, so they didn't want to promote it that way.

The only people I personally know (not just people on the internet) who like the film are people who either want to sleep with (or be) Hugh Jackman or want to sleep with Kate Beckinsale. Box office receipts often reflect who many hard-ons a film gives people and not always the quality of the story.

I think there will be a devoted group of followers of The Wolfman as time goes along. Is it the greatest movie ever? Not by a longshot, but it deserves better than it gets. I highly suspect that a large percentage of the people who bash it on the internet have never even seen it.

The fact that some bitter geriatric from Universal is saying it was a bad movie isn't going to sway my opinion. He's probably just regurgitating what some secretary cobbled together from the internet in our to appease the public. I just think it's funny that he comes out with this interview because it's going to give him a better public opinion because he's being "honest". He's probably up for review again at Universal, and as he admits in the article, he pours on the bullshit to sweet-talk his way out of being fired. I'm sure it's what he's doing now, and I doubt that half of the opinions are really his.
Old 11-04-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
I'm just tired of people endlessly bashing films like Wolfman because it's so popular to do, instead of just giving it a chance or admitting that they just don't like the genre or the niche of the film itself. It wasn't a badly made film. It was a well-made film that was deliberately aiming for a particular mood that a lot of people just didn't care for. That doesn't make it a bad film.
I'll happily bash The Wolfman because it's a shitty movie. I love "monster movies," I like the actors, the production design and the effects are great. The movie itself? Total shit.

I've never discussed my dislike of that movie with anyone so it's not like I'm trying to be popular. I watched it, I hated it, end of discussion.
Old 11-04-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's clear that Universal is trying to do something different. Certainly, on paper, before you get into the details, Wolfman, Land of the Lost, Cowboys & Aliens works. (I liked C&A actually).

Universal gets credit for making the Bourne films, which are absolutely fantastic and essential action films of the modern era.
Old 11-04-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, let's not forget these are Universal films:

Being John Malkovich
Blood Simple
Traffic
Wet Hot American Summer
Session 9
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Pianist
Swimming Pool
Lost in Translation
21 Grams
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Constant Gardener
Brick
Eastern Promises
Atonement
In Bruges
Burn After Reading
Milk
A Serious Man
The Kids Are All Right
The American
Hanna

Some of these are among my favorite films of the last decade.
Old 11-04-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is cool and all but to come out a shit all over actors and name names is not professional. I'd be pissed if I was Del Toro.
Old 11-04-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
Also, let's not forget these are Universal films:

Being John Malkovich
Blood Simple
Traffic
Wet Hot American Summer
Session 9
The Man Who Wasn't There
With the exception of Blood Simple which has changed distributors every few years (and now resides with MGM), the rest of these films were produced by USA Films. In which Universal bought and it became ...

The Pianist
Swimming Pool
Lost in Translation
21 Grams
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Constant Gardener
Brick
Eastern Promises
Atonement
In Bruges
Burn After Reading
Milk
A Serious Man
The Kids Are All Right
The American
Hanna
... FOCUS FEATURES! Congratulations, you named films that have not a single thing to do with Universal other than they're all owned by parent company NBC Universal! Thanks for playing, here's your parting gifts.
Old 11-04-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In fairness, I wanted to see all these stinkers. I think they were all good ideas at the start but lost their ways to completion. Land of the Lost especially went the wrong way. Though I'm not a fan of his, I thought Will Ferrel was a good choice for the dad in what I expected to be a family adventure movie, then I saw they turned it another moronic Will Ferrel comedy out of it. Certainly, the wrong thing to do with that materal. Cowboys and Aliens is a cool title and concept, but it quickly fell apart. Was the graphic novel as bad? I was especially looking forward to Wolfman but it was tolerable at best and I hated the climax. Still, a cool looking monster.
Old 11-04-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've heard, the graphic novel was terrible. They basically came up with the idea and sold the movie rights, then when it looked like the movie was getting made they slapped together the graphic novel and put it out. They sent it out to stores super cheap and even free in some cases. I think Midtown Comics was giving it away with any purchase.
Old 11-04-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
This is cool and all but to come out a shit all over actors and name names is not professional. I'd be pissed if I was Del Toro.
Meh, if you suck you suck. Nothing wrong with pointing it out. I actually think more people should do that. Maybe then we wouldn't have so much shit.
Old 11-04-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Wolfman was a better movie than Van Helsing or those shitty Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser.

But even then, I don't think Wolfman was better than okay; though I believe there's a good movie in there somewhere, the problem was that nobody involved was able to find it and put it on screen.
Old 11-04-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
I love "monster movies," I like the actors, the production design and the effects are great. The movie itself? Total shit.
I wouldn't call it "total shit" but it was dull. Even the wolfman-on-wolfman battle was lifeless. But I totally agree on the production design - the sets were beautiful and the atmosphere was terrific.
Old 11-04-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
With the exception of Blood Simple which has changed distributors every few years (and now resides with MGM), the rest of these films were produced by USA Films. In which Universal bought and it became ...

... FOCUS FEATURES! Congratulations, you named films that have not a single thing to do with Universal other than they're all owned by parent company NBC Universal! Thanks for playing, here's your parting gifts.
Wow, I had no idea these were by Focus Features. Thanks for imparting your knowledge. I am now a better person.
Old 11-04-11, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually enjoyed The Wolfman. I certainly never thought it was deserving of a lot of the bad reviews it got.
Old 11-04-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wolfman was a better movie than Van Helsing or those shitty Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser.

But even then, I don't think Wolfman was better than okay; though I believe there's a good movie in there somewhere, the problem was that nobody involved was able to find it and put it on screen.
I totally agree.
Old 11-04-11, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, I had no idea these were by Focus Features. Thanks for imparting your knowledge. I am now a better person.
Yeah most of those films are foriegn films (Eastern Promises, Swimming Pool, 21 Grams) and american indies (Burn After Reading, Serious Man) that are financed outside of the traditional studio chanels and then acquired by the distribution arm of a major studio after they are completed.

When I think of Universal I think Back to the Future, Jaws and E.T. They need to lure Spielberg back and give him free reign.
Growing up I too thougth of Universal as a top tier studio that made among the best films, Turns out this was purely because of Spielberg. I was shocked to learn that Universal had pretty much always been in the middle--a second level schlock warehouse that never had the reputation of MGM, 20th Century or Paramount.
Old 11-04-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just think Bus after a couple thousand more "In your faces" you'll be just as good as us...
Old 11-04-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Getting punched in the throat is better than having holes drilled into your testicles.
Old 11-04-11, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....well what if I like holes drilled through my testicles?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.