Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
7.07%
26.26%
41.41%
14.14%
7.07%
1.01%
1.01%
1.01%
1.01%
0%
0%
I will not be the first avenger to see this.
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Loved it. This was exactly the Captain America movie I wanted to see---just the right mix of all the elements, and I really loved the way they worked in the Hydra/sci-fi weapons and vehicles into the mix. And yes, the scene with Steve and the dummy grenade was really great. Tommy Lee Jones was perfect, as well.

A couple VERY minor gripes:

Spoiler:
In Cap's early fight when he went behind enemy lines, they didn't quite emphasize enough that he had superhuman powers, IMO (although they did fine with that later).

Maybe (certainly) I've watched too many kung fu movies, but I would have liked a bit of Cap training to learn how to fight---just being given super-strength and speed isn't the same thing as weapons and hand-to-hand combat training. And I particularly remember in the classic Avengers issue where they thaw out Captain America, and he has a little fight with the other Avengers---the reason he can beat superheroes who are bigger and stronger than him is because of his fighting skill.

Also, I didn't really need that scene at the end where they set up the fake room to make Cap think he was still in the 1940s. That seemed completely unrealistic and unneccesary.

This is nitpicking though, as I loved the movie.
Old 07-23-11, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked that the movie kept the American patriotism and that many of today's youth will see how American youth behaved back then and not this rioting, protesting against wanting to fight our attackers of today.
The actor who played Captain America is up there with Chris Reeve's performance of Superman.
Old 07-23-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The actor who played Captain America is up there with Chris Reeve's performance of Superman.
I know you're going to get blowback from this, but I agree with you. He's been steadily growing as one of my favorites (he was a blast in both FF's, Scott Pilgrim, The Losers, etc), and he was perfect as Steve Rogers.

The movie had flaws, but he was stellar.
Old 07-23-11, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I liked that the movie kept the American patriotism and that many of today's youth will see how American youth behaved back then and not this rioting, protesting against wanting to fight our attackers of today.
I think anyone who sees pictures or movies from or based on that era sees that the patriotism is there. It's kind of common knowledge.

I really liked the War Bonds sequence. it just...got the cheese element right.

The one thing that stuck out immediately to me was...if they did the experiment on him to make him a better soldier...how come they didn't throw out to the frontlines immediately? They just put him out there to sell those War Bonds. Waste of a product. I understand that the senator wanted him there but...all that and he's stuck to selling bonds? Like someone else said...I would've liked a moment where we see them training Cap to be the honed and powerful force that he is in physical combat.

Again...I loved the movie. It really sold the mix of that scifi really fast and it worked.

To me I didn't feel like this film was trying to sell The Avengers film to the audience. It was kind of it's own beast cuz of it's WWII element.
Old 07-23-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC

The one thing that stuck out immediately to me was...if they did the experiment on him to make him a better soldier...how come they didn't throw out to the frontlines immediately? They just put him out there to sell those War Bonds. Waste of a product. I understand that the senator wanted him there but...all that and he's stuck to selling bonds?
I had a bit of a problem with that as well, but I took it that the whole super-soldier project was designed to produce a BUNCH of super soldiers, and that was their big plan---when it became clear that Rogers was going to be the only one, then Tommy Lee Jones and the army brass thought the project was kind of a failure and just weren't that interested in Rogers alone. I still think you're right that it was a bit of a weak point in the plot, but I think that's how the movie tried to explain it.
Old 07-23-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing that stuck out immediately to me was...if they did the experiment on him to make him a better soldier...how come they didn't throw out to the frontlines immediately? They just put him out there to sell those War Bonds. Waste of a product. I understand that the senator wanted him there but...all that and he's stuck to selling bonds? Like someone else said...I would've liked a moment where we see them training Cap to be the honed and powerful force that he is in physical combat.
Based on what the senator told him, I figure that they decided that, as a single man, if he went on missions and then got killed, they'd only get limited use out of him. By keeping him out of harm's way and in an inspirational role to hawk war bonds, they'd be able to use him safely for the length of the war.

And, as the colonel stated, a single super soldier was of no use to him, he felt he needed a platoon of them.

Last edited by Super X; 07-23-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 05:59 PM
Banned

ah...in that case I must've not heard the senator's comment. I remember Jones' comment.
Old 07-23-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah...in that case I must've not heard the senator's comment. I remember Jones' comment.
Well, I was really just inferring it from what the senator said. It just seems to make sense that they'd see more value from him promoting war bonds for the duration than potentially getting killed in battle after a short period.
Old 07-23-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I dug it. Sort wish that they made it into two movies just to get more WWII-era Cap.
Old 07-23-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw it this afternoon, thought it was a lot of fun. Really liked the look and production style a great deal. Will look great on Blu Ray.
Old 07-23-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I dug it. Sort wish that they made it into two movies just to get more WWII-era Cap.
Interviews have suggested that the potential sequel could have flashback segments to WWII.
Old 07-23-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Best... Movie... Of... The Summer.

That was a great comic book movie, and a really, really good movie overall. Chris Evans was fantastic as Cap, and the rest of the cast was spot on as well.

Joe Johnston did a GREAT job directing this one. The visuals, the pacing, the performances - it was a great job he did in getting everything to work together as well as it all does.

I hope it does enough business to guarantee a sequel (beyond The Avengers). Bring this cast and crew back for another one. It was that damned good.
Old 07-23-11, 07:14 PM

This movie rocked! The best part though, was the shield. They actually utilized the shield the way it was meant to be used!

Old 07-23-11, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Spoiler:

I never saw it myself, but I believe I remembered somebody saying the Cube was visible in Odin's treasure room, along with the Infinity Gauntlet. It also showed up at the end credits of Thor.

In the comics, the Cosmic Cube had nothing to do with the gods. In this movie, Red Skull and Zola's dialogue tied it into the Norse gods, which actually makes a lot of sense... Hitler had a hard on for Norse mythology and the occult.

I liked the Human Torch cameo too. It makes me sad that there won't be an Invaders movie.
Son of a.... I missed it!
Old 07-23-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I'll tell you what, I really want to see this one again. I can't wait for the Blu Ray. I mean, I may not wait - I may have to catch this one in the theater again. I'll still buy the Blu Ray, of course...
Old 07-23-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Briefly stated: liked it a lot. In all of the movies released since the first Iron Man, this was the first one to actually try and be its own story and not be an Avengers teaser . Don't get me wrong, I thought Thor was good, and somewhat enjoyed IM2. However, they both had too much "lets build to the Avengers" vibe. This one did it right.

Spoiler:
The post credit sequence was great. Rather than make the whole movie a teaser, or hint at one, they decided to just flat out show an Avengers teaser as the post credits surprise. Everything is in place, and I can't wait until it comes out!
Old 07-23-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 67 year old mother went to see it by herself today and apparently had a blast. I know just anecdotal stuff. I am just wondering how much it's going to resonate with that generation.
Old 07-23-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The generation that was born after the movie? Sorry, I had to say it. My kids and I saw it with my parents today and they both really liked it too, but they're a decade younger than "that generation".
Old 07-23-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw it today in 3D. I liked the movie alot and thought it was cool that it was a WWII period action flick. However, I was not impressed with the 3D effects. They were just average at best.

Chris Evans was great as Steve Rogers. I also hope that this does good enough box office for Marvel/Disney to greenlight a modern era movie after The Avengers next summer. I didn't pick it up right away that Howard Stark was Tony's father.

I was a little disappointed that:

Spoiler:
Rogers relationship with Peggy was left unresolved at the end. Yeah I know, Peggy has probably already passed away. Maybe in a sequel, Rogers could visit her grave or maybe talk to a relative briefly.

I also liked the costume. Question, I've never read the Captain America comics, but is Rogers widely known as being the Cap. There is no annonymity like Batman or Superman right?

Everyone in the theatre I went to bailed except me before The Avengers trailer after the closing credits.
Old 07-23-11, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
The generation that was born after the movie? Sorry, I had to say it. My kids and I saw it with my parents today and they both really liked it too, but they're a decade younger than "that generation".
I don't understand? I am not saying my mom is part of the greatest generation but her father fought in WW2. It's something that really resonates with her.I though it was pretty neat she went to the movie on her own.
Old 07-23-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just kidding. Don't take offense. It is cool she went on her own. Not many people do go to the movies alone, let alone at her age
Old 07-23-11, 10:12 PM

No no I am not. i have always liked you Pinata. I am still just curious. I mean there is a Longer history for Cap than say X Men. I mean really nearly as long as Batman and Superman!
Old 07-23-11, 10:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Really enjoyed this... definitely my favorite Marvel film since Iron Man. It's certainly a less edgy character (which I attribute largely to RDJ's unique approach with Tony Stark) but Chris Evans flat-out nailed this role. I've never read a Captain America comic and was not overly impressed with his casting, but after seeing it I can't imagine anyone else in the part -- something I didn't necessarily feel about Hemsworth or Norton, as respectable as they were. Evans added a lot of heart to this character. What could have read as hokey on paper came across as really genuine.

Johnston is quite adept in recreating the feel of a '40s era pulp serial. His films have been hit or miss with me, but he was clearly in his element on this one. As for the story - the romance with Peggy worked to an extent, but I felt Hayley Atwell could have sold it a little better in some scenes. The framing device at the beginning also worked for me and I didn't find it out of place. Hell, I even loved the
Spoiler:
Alan Menken musical montage -- in fact, it was a highlight. To go from this flashy sequence of the army exploiting him as a publicity machine for the war effort, then suddenly cut to the reality of the troops and their disgust of this giant dork in a silly outfit. Really entertaining stuff.
Loved all the supporting actors -- Tommy Lee Jones was amazing as always and very funny, plus Weaving made a great German villain! The CG work on little Steve was really impressive -- only in a couple shots could I tell that any manipulation had been applied. All in all, this was just good old-fashioned fun and a huge breathe of fresh air after the staleness of Green Lantern.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-24-11 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-23-11, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw it today in 3D. I liked the movie alot and thought it was cool that it was a WWII period action flick. However, I was not impressed with the 3D effects. They were just average at best.

Chris Evans was great as Steve Rogers. I also hope that this does good enough box office for Marvel/Disney to greenlight a modern era movie after The Avengers next summer. I didn't pick it up right away that Howard Stark was Tony's father.

I was a little disappointed that:

Spoiler:
Rogers relationship with Peggy was left unresolved at the end. Yeah I know, Peggy has probably already passed away. Maybe in a sequel, Rogers could visit her grave or maybe talk to a relative briefly.

I also liked the costume. Question, I've never read the Captain America comics, but is Rogers widely known as being the Cap. There is no annonymity like Batman or Superman right?

Everyone in the theatre I went to bailed except me before The Avengers trailer after the closing credits.
in the 40s, Cap's identity was secret for the most part. when he came back it was still secret, currently his identity is known to all...that was his call....
Old 07-23-11, 10:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
Based on what the senator told him, I figure that they decided that, as a single man, if he went on missions and then got killed, they'd only get limited use out of him.
Excactly. As Peggy said, the only hope of recreating the serum laid inside of him, which would take years to replicate. The military didn't want Rogers getting blown up right out of the gate.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-23-11 at 10:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.