Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
7.07%
26.26%
41.41%
14.14%
7.07%
1.01%
1.01%
1.01%
1.01%
0%
0%
I will not be the first avenger to see this.
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 02:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

I know we didn't get it..and the sequence was great as it was...but I still wished we got the old Cap cartoon theme playing during the USO sequence somehow...
Old 08-22-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I wanted to hear that too, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. He wasn't throwing his mighty shield at that point.
Old 08-22-11, 11:32 AM
Banned

yeah...damn good theme there during the sequence.
Old 08-28-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally caught a 2D digital showing today, which looked great. Definitely one of the better films of the Summer and I loved the nostalgic look of the film. Very slick looking production overall. I thought the story and pacing were excellent, and a nice setup for The Avengers.
Old 10-20-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those that watched this in 3D, was it worth it at all? I'm not sure if I want to get the 3D Blu-ray or just opt for the standard 2D set.
Old 10-20-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't see it in 3D, but I know it was a post job, and I heard it didn't add much at all.
Old 10-20-11, 05:27 PM
Banned

supposedly cap's shield coming at ya was pretty cool..even made some people duck. Either way..I saw in 2D, I enjoyed it a lot. I'll get the BD one day.
Old 10-20-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When has 3D ever been worth it?
Old 10-20-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
When has 3D ever been worth it?
Captain EO
Old 10-20-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Captain EO
You might retract that statement if you have seen it recently. I saw it at Disneyland this August and it didn't hold up as well as I remembered it when I originally saw it back in the late 80's.

Actually the 3D was pretty bad.
Spoiler:
(and terribly cheesy to boot)
Old 10-21-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
To those that watched this in 3D, was it worth it at all? I'm not sure if I want to get the 3D Blu-ray or just opt for the standard 2D set.
I saw it in 3D and the 3D sucked. I went back and saw the 2D version with my son who wanted to see it in 3D and I said no way.
Old 10-26-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Caught Captain America last night on Demand.

Really liked it, I have loved the last 2 Marvel Origin movies that we have seen with Thor and Captain America.

Noticed Natalie Dormer as the blonde officer that was trying to give Captain America a little lovin (Games of Thrones).

I noticed that it was 2 hours long, but it really flew, not there was non-stop action for 50 straight minutes, but I like how they built it up in the first hour, and then it escalated in the 2nd half of the movie.
Old 10-27-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone else catch the line the Red Skull says about "While Hitler is digging for lost relics in the desert...". Pretty cool reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and pretty intentional if you ask me.
Old 10-27-11, 01:54 PM
Banned

yeah...that was cool to hear.
Old 10-29-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

This was easily the best superhero film out of the big three that were recently released. I loved it. As a person who doesn't follow comics at all....I always dug Captain America as a kid but never knew anything about the character - I love that he has a big "heart" and how he came to be - what a perfect formula for a superhero and they didn't AT ALL overdo the 'the little guy that could' setup in the beginning either.

Really liked this one.
Old 03-13-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Okay. The 2nd Civil War trailer got me hyped up but being months away I thought I'd get caught up on the first two Captain America films, especially now since people in the Civil War thread are claiming that, not only was the The First Avenger was better than Thor, but also one of the best of the Marvel films. So I watched it last night. My thoughts...

The movie was off to a bad start with the introduction of the Tesseract. There's already enough villainy going on during that era with Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany. Why not go with that?

1942 America and skinny Steve Rogers. The special effects were good for making him skinny, but it still was more jarring than passable. The background scenes looked really processed for some reason, like the color was altered or something.

Having the focus on Hydra instead of the Nazis was a big let down for me. Having the anachronistic technology, and laser guns was just too much. Hugo Weaving as Schmidt was okay though.

I did like the War Bonds scenes maybe because it was slightly more subtle in it's approach and evoked the era better.

I guess I'm a little spoiled because I had previously read a Captain America origins comic titled "Mythos":

Spoiler:

It pretty much tells the same story as The First Avenger but it comes across as more heartfelt and stresses the camaraderie of Rogers and his fellow soldiers better.

TFA was an entertaining movie, and I liked some of the performances but I didn't think it was very special. I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the first Thor but that movie was way better than the first Cap.

The Winter Soldier is next on my watch list. I doubt I'm going to be disappointed with that one though.
Old 03-13-16, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoyed the movie when I saw it, however I saw it with my daughter in the theater so any father-daughter outing is going to be special. I had similar issues with the issues surrounding WWII. I guess it was tougher for me to suspend my disbelief when they pulled out all the technology. I thought they did a nice job with the early skinny Rogers. I liked Hayley Atwell in her part.

The first Cap movie is probably my least favorite of the series but I enjoyed them all. Winter Soldier was my favorite so Cap acts as bookends to my superhero world.
Old 03-13-16, 08:54 AM
Banned

Cap 1 is a lot better than Thor.. well any of them.

I do dislike how it's so much Hydra instead of like somehow having Schmidt create Hydra within the Nazi regime. We never got Cap cracking Nazi skulls. That's kind of his thing to be remembered for. I kind of get WHY they did that but still... it kind of lost some balls w/ not making them a bigger presence. I haven't seen Cap in a while but...Why not just have a shift in that as the war went on...the Nazis were going down but that Hydra was growing cuz of it? A focal shift would have been nice. Just to see that and still have it end up where we are.

I don't mind the weapons so much. But it also didn't distinguish well enough how separate Hydra was instead of just having Schmidt be in his whole world and then he's our main baddie. Would have liked that Hydra is literally a part of the Nazis and Nazi/Hydra crews run about. But.. it's all Hydra. The comics handled that distinction well. Of where Hydra has stood and how its worked. But.. that's comics. Easier to tell that story in that format than a movie cuz a movie has a lot to do in 2 hours or whatever.
Old 03-13-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

First Avenger is one of my least liked MCU movies. I enjoyed the parts showing how Cap was a weakling, got his abilities, all that montage stuff. The rest of it wasn't clicking with me. I might like it more if I watched it again, but I haven't had the chance.

The Winter Soldier was all around great, though.
Old 03-13-16, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mndtrp
First Avenger is one of my least liked MCU movies. I enjoyed the parts showing how Cap was a weakling, got his abilities, all that montage stuff. The rest of it wasn't clicking with me. I might like it more if I watched it again, but I haven't had the chance.

The Winter Soldier was all around great, though.
This.

And finally... they got Cap right in his physical aspect. Loved that.
Old 03-13-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Cap 1 is a lot better than Thor.. well any of them.

I do dislike how it's so much Hydra instead of like somehow having Schmidt create Hydra within the Nazi regime. We never got Cap cracking Nazi skulls. That's kind of his thing to be remembered for. I kind of get WHY they did that but still... it kind of lost some balls w/ not making them a bigger presence. I haven't seen Cap in a while but...Why not just have a shift in that as the war went on...the Nazis were going down but that Hydra was growing cuz of it? A focal shift would have been nice. Just to see that and still have it end up where we are.

I don't mind the weapons so much. But it also didn't distinguish well enough how separate Hydra was instead of just having Schmidt be in his whole world and then he's our main baddie. Would have liked that Hydra is literally a part of the Nazis and Nazi/Hydra crews run about. But.. it's all Hydra. The comics handled that distinction well. Of where Hydra has stood and how its worked. But.. that's comics. Easier to tell that story in that format than a movie cuz a movie has a lot to do in 2 hours or whatever.

So you disliked quite a lot but it's still better than Thor 1 & 2?

I confused.
Old 03-13-16, 10:46 AM
Banned

It's really not a lot. It's just nitpicking. Nothing to really harm the film in a whole context of itself but to put into a historical aspect. Kind of does affect.. contextually.
Old 03-13-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, it seemed like they spent the second act of the film with Cap dicking around at USO shows. They should have just sent him to Europe and hid busting some Nazi heads instead, and then worked in the Red Skull and Hydra stuff.

I'm like, they made a goddamned super soldier, and then waste him prancing around on a stage. If they wanted to do that, then they could have put anyone in a fucking costume.
Old 03-14-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The First Avenger is among my 3 or 4 favorite MCU movies. I thought they just nailed it with that one - character, action, plot, humor, acting - just absolutely nailed it.
Old 03-14-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah...damn good theme there during the sequence.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.