Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Same here. Pixar still doesn't look like its going to have much competition come Oscar time though. Kung Fu Panda 2? Cars 2 can't be that bad.
Chico & Rita should take the Oscar.
Old 05-19-11, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kstublen
After 11 movies and 18-19 shorts, you'd think Pixar would have earned some trust from people, but I guess not.

I don't think Cars 2 is going to be their best movie, but I think it will be on par with the first Cars, which is still a pretty good movie (and one I've revisited often). And really, while Cars is the "worst" Pixar movie, it just gets a bad rep because of how good the other Pixar movies are.

You're right, because all of the sequels they have done thus far (Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3) were just awful.

If Pixar canceled Newt, it's because they couldn't find a way to make it work. While I was interested in it, I trust their judgment and suspect they had a good reason to not move forward with the project.

You can't be serious. It was such a well-constructed, perfect ending for the franchise and the characters, all of them. I'm amazed that there are people out there who didn't like Toy Story 3. That's the perfect example, as far as I'm concerned, of a franchise that did everything right.

I also love how people think movies (or television or books, for that matter) somehow need to "make sense" or be based in reality. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. In the real world, people don't shrink and rabbits don't talk and carry pocket watches, but Alice in Wonderland is still a great story. Aside from Woody and Buzz, most of the toys don't look human, so what's the difference? Is The Wind in the Willows any less of a classic because the animals talk? If you want "realism," stick to history books and documentaries, because even movies where it's just humans often wouldn't happen in the real world. It must suck to be so jaded that you can't even enjoy a movie unless it's "realistic."
Most of the toys DO look like humans. If you count all the movies, there's Buzz, Woody, Barbie, Jess, little bo beep, Ken, Zerg (sort of human except has a mask), and the prospector.
Old 05-19-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's far more non-human toys in Toy Story than there are human toys (from Wikipedia, since I can't remember all of the names from memory):
  • Rex (Dinosaur)
  • Hamm (Pig)
  • Slinky (Dog)
  • Potato Heads (Potatoes)
  • Bullseye (Horse)
  • RC (Car)
  • Lenny (Binoculars)
  • Wheezy (Penguin)
  • Etch (Etch-A-Sketch)
  • Mr. Shark (Shark)
  • All of Sid's Toys
  • Lots-O' (Bear)
  • Twitch (Bug)
  • Stretch (Octopus)
  • Chunk (Monster)
  • Sparks (Robot)
  • Chatter (Telephone)
  • Bookworm (Work)
  • Mr. Pricklepants (Hedgehog)
  • Trixie (Dinosaur)
  • Buttercup (Unicorn)
  • Peas-in-a-Pod (Peas)

And I only included toys that had a prominent role or spoke; I left out a lot of toys that were there and didn't do as much. Granted, all of the toys were anthropomorphized, but there were far more animal toys or inanimate object toys than there were human toys.

I'd consider the main toys: Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Rex, Hamm, Slinky, Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head, the Army Men, and the Aliens. Even if you consider the Aliens "human" you're still left with the human vs. non-human toys at about the same.
Old 05-19-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Late to the thread but Cars was the only Pixar film I have tried to watch that I shut off long before it was finished. The humor was tedious and I was bored with it. I am not very excited about a sequel.
Old 05-19-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

EDIT: My point is that while Pixar was sort of forced to make Toy Story 2 and maybe Toy Story 3, they definitely weren't forced or pressured to make Cars 2 and most certainly not Monsters University. Projects, both at Disney AND Pixar, don't go forward now without their say-so; sure, they report to Iger, but I don't think he's going to force them to make sequels they don't want to make.
It's a bit circular, but if you agree they were forced to make the Toy Story sequels when they were "separate" from Disney, then common sense says Pixar will certainly follow Disney edicts.
Old 05-19-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmanca
It's a bit circular, but if you agree they were forced to make the Toy Story sequels when they were "separate" from Disney, then common sense says Pixar will certainly follow Disney edicts.
I see what you're saying, and while it might make sense on the surface, given Pixar's history with Disney I'd have to disagree. My argument can be summed up like this:
  • First, the old executives of Disney Animation told Pixar they could either make Toy Story 2 themselves, or Disney would contract it out to another animation studio. Pixar chose the lesser of two evils and did it themselves.
  • Second, the old executives of Disney Animation decided to go ahead with Toy Story 3 without Pixar's involvement, but the project was canceled after Disney bought Pixar and promoted Catmull and Lasseter. Catmull and Lasseter are the executives of Disney Animation and decide to go forward with Toy Story 3.
  • Third, Catmull and Lasseter are now in charge of Disney Animation and report only to the Iger. He might have some input, but the decision of which projects are greenlit is largely left to Lasseter, and to a lesser extent Catmull. So Lasseter decides to go ahead with sequels to Cars and Monsters, Inc.

In other words, Pixar might have been "forced" to make Toy Story 2, but I don't think they were truly forced to make Toy Story 3. But even if they were, now that Lasseter is in charge of Disney Animation Studios he calls the shots, subject only to Bob Iger. Maybe Iger told Lasseter to start making sequels, but I somehow doubt it; I think given his push to acquire Pixar and the results that came from the acquisition, there's some respect for and deference to Lasseter in deciding how to run the animation department in general and Pixar in specific.
Old 05-20-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The people who are still a part of Disney's board and higher-executive ranks were there during that time period. The issues that stemmed from the Toy Story 3 development had to do with the impasse the boards of the two companies were at in respect to their working relationship. With regard to the "big picture," Disney is all about brand marketing and product-licencing of characters so when given the chance to make sequels to money-making properties, they are going to jump at it.

You say that Disney's Toy Story 3 was canceled but they kept two big ideas from their pitch.
Spoiler:
Buzz gets sent off somewhere needing to be rescued and the toys that are with him have been neglected.

Yes deference will be given to Lasseter but it won't be the end-all, be-all kind. I hope that Iger and board are lenient and let Pixar as well as Marvel Studios run their businesses the way that made them successful.

Last edited by gmanca; 05-20-11 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-20-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
Too bad Pixar has decided to pump out sequels now. I liked that they didn't. And Cars is what they choose? Meh. Hopefully, they aren't about to jump the shark.

so all their movies had totally unique story lines? nothing about going away for self discovery after an initial action scene and the start of the plot only to come back and prove yourself?
Old 05-20-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right, because all of the sequels they have done thus far (Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3) were just awful.
I absolutely loved the Toy Story sequels (I've loved every Pixar movie ever made). But Pixar always went with new original stories and didn't bother with revisiting old ones. That was refreshing. Disney always pressured Pixar to do sequels and they didn't do it. Instead, we got great new films. I never meant to imply that the sequels won't be Pixar quality but that they are taking up the space when new content probably would emerged.
Old 05-20-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People (not you necessarily) just seem so eager to have Pixar fail, because they haven't failed yet, and it's sort of irritating.
I think you've seriously misread the Pixar fans concerns over their change in policy in doing sequels.
Old 05-20-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Shrek?

Yes, Michael. Let the man have his opinion here.

But to be on the fair side. I think it's unfair to judge Cars 2 before it even comes out. I have some dear friends of mine who busted their ass on this movie, and I think they found a new "spin" on the whole story.
Old 05-20-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Cars 2 will be great. Just not as great as an original story in a new movie.
Old 05-20-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 2 year old cured me of my initial dismissive attitude towards Cars. We'll go to this one.
Old 06-13-11, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l4diH9zvnMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so.....guess Pixar is doing a Direct to DVD thing...*shaking head*...I don't want to believe this is real.

via cinemablend....
There's a pretty wide consensus that Cars is the weakest link in Pixar Studio's back catalog. While it's still better than a lot of other animated films that come out these days, it's simply missing that spark that makes all of the others so wonderful. What's interesting, though, is that Cars also happens to be their most marketable film, and the studio has made millions thanks to toys and other sources of revenue, which explains why Cars 2 is set to premiere next week. The Cars franchise is worth a lot of money, and Disney is not going to just let it be.

The Mouse House has released the first trailer for Planes, a direct-to-DVD spinoff of Cars that features - you guessed it - planes as the lead characters. There are no plot details yet, and the movie won't be released until Spring of 2013, but it seems from the video that the movie will center on a plane who, despite lacking in fancy equipment, wishes to fly with his more advanced bretheren.
Old 06-14-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Seems like they'd do a "Planes" thing as the short before the movie. But money is money.
Old 06-14-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh Pixar...say it ain't so. And Lasseter, you promised...

Originally Posted by John Lasseter
"We had such a great time exploring the world of 'Cars' over the course of two films, so it seemed only natural for us to see where our imaginations would take us in a film where planes where the main characters, by expanding the Cars world, 'Planes' gave us a whole new set of fun-filles situations and a great oppertunity to introduce some fantastic new characters".
---

I guess I have to take back what I said before about Pixar not going the way of Disney. Really, before this I didn't think you could make the argument, but now it seems proof that they're letting money dictate projects. I'll still check this out, but I'm feeling really let down by this news.

Also, the voice of the main character sounded like Dave Foley.
Old 06-14-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In watching the trailer, I actually don't see Pixar mentioned anywhere, just Disney. So technically, this doesn't seem to be a Pixar movie, but a Disney movie. Still though, given John Lasseter's position at Disney he obviously had to sign off on it, so it would seem he's betrayed that which he said a few years ago regarding Direct-to-DVD sequels.
Old 06-14-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You know it's funny, I agree with a lot of folks that Cars is the least of the Pixar canon, but thinking back to all the old Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts I watched on Sat mornings as a kid (and even as an adult when Cartoon Network used to show them), I always enjoyed the ones with the anthropomorphic cars and planes. There's one I can't remember all the details of, but I'm guessing it was set during WWII and was about planes fighting in the war, and there was a plane family and the little son-plane wanted to be like his dad and all that. First thing I thought of when I read the above.

No sound at work, so I'll have to watch that later at home.
Old 06-14-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You know it's funny, I agree with a lot of folks that Cars is the least of the Pixar canon, but thinking back to all the old Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts I watched on Sat mornings as a kid (and even as an adult when Cartoon Network used to show them), I always enjoyed the ones with the anthropomorphic cars and planes. There's one I can't remember all the details of, but I'm guessing it was set during WWII and was about planes fighting in the war, and there was a plane family and the little son-plane wanted to be like his dad and all that. First thing I thought of when I read the above.

No sound at work, so I'll have to watch that later at home.
I think you're thinking of Little Johnny Jet, which is a Tex Avery Cartoon. Honest mistake though. Let me know if this is the one you were thinking of:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OqOT-wEUDL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Always enjoyed that one myself, although I liked One Cab's Family better.
Old 06-14-11, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lasseter mentioned Avery a couple times when he talked about Cars.
Old 06-14-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not surprising. The anthropomorphization of the vehicles in Cars is very reminiscent of One Cab's Family.
Old 06-14-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The more I see that Cars 2 is different from Cars, the more I looking forward to see it.

James Bond (with lots of humor) meets Cars, lots of fun at the theater - that is what I am looking for.

I am sure Cars 2 is going to do great, Pixar has yet to disappoint me and they just keep getting better.

TS2 and TS3 were perfect sequels...48 year old man shed some real tears at the ending of TS3. Saying "Goodbye and Farewell" to some old friends felt both happy and sad, Pixar really knew how to keep the gang together and let Andy move on. Geez, I am a wimp, my eyes are tearing up a bit as I am writing this. GO PIXAR!
Old 06-14-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
The more I see that Cars 2 is different from Cars, the more I looking forward to see it.
Agreed. I saw a trailer for it in front of Super 8 the other day and other than using some of the same characters, it looks completely different than Cars.
Old 06-15-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Yup, as I said earlier in this thread, this is less Cars 2 and more Mater's Tall Tales: The Movie. And it looks fun.
Old 06-15-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
this is less Cars 2 and more Mater's Tall Tales: The Movie.

Mater wasn't the "breakout" character, but the comedic sidekick. FFUUUUUU--

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.