Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Cars 2 (Pixar, Summer 2011)

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Toy cars always sell well to boys, put faces on them and it's like printing gold.
Optimus Prime approves this post.
Old 11-17-10, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Optimus Prime approves this post.
Roll out, Motherfuckers!
Old 11-17-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look very good. Cable guy again?
Old 11-17-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Doesn't look very good. Cable guy again?
Yeah, I hate when sequels feature main characters from the original movie. Even worse is when they have the same person come back to play the character again!
Old 11-17-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Yeah, I hate when sequels feature main characters from the original movie. Even worse is when they have the same person come back to play the character again!
Strange. Character continuity is a good thing, but not with that hack.
Old 11-17-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Big fan of the first one, will definitely be seeing this in the theaters. Pixar can do no wrong in my book.
Old 11-17-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

I really don't know about this one. I think its terribly disappointing that we get two pixar sequels in a row. One of the things I love about pixar is that they take the absolute strangest premises and turn them into something that you totally were not expecting. "A movie about a fish? A movie about a cooking rat? A movie about a trash compactor? A movie about some old man and a balloon house?!" But every single time they blow me away at how good the movie really is. Now Toy Story 2 and 3 I could totally see a reason for and although it was somewhat of a cash grab there was still a lot of story to tell. Cars 2 feels like the first pure cash grab that pixar has done. The absolute number one reason why I love pixar is the freedom they give their artists and story tellers. They are the only major animation studio that would greenlight a movie about a cooking rat or an old man in a balloon house even though they know it won't make beans in terms of merchandise.

This just feels so...so...dreamworks..
Old 11-18-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Pretty sure I've read that too. Not hard to figure out. Toy cars always sell well to boys, put faces on them and it's like printing gold.
Pretty much. As someone who has seen the original far too many times (I have nephews who watch this once a week), the original is OK. I was real curious in how they would replace Paul Newman since he was central to the first film. Michael Caine is a good choice. I have to admit Michael Keaton was pretty funny as the villian in the 1st film.
Old 11-18-10, 04:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the Pixar version of The Man Who Knew Too Little. I actually like the idea of going the spy route, but Mater was best as a side character. He shouldn't be the main character.
Old 11-18-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While the first one was good, it's definitely the weakest of Pixar's efforts IMO. However, the role played by Paul Newman was the perfect one with which to end his career, and for that alone the movie gets points.

I have no problem with a sequel, but they are doing exactly what I feared. I CANNOT STAND Larry the Cable Guy, and the only saving grace about his character in the first one was the fact that he was just a supporting character. Pushing him to the forefront is a mistake IMO, and looks like an attempt to really cater to the "redneck/NASCAR" crowd. Of course this is PIXAR, and they have a track record similar to Christopher Nolan in terms of quality, so I will reserve judgment.
Old 11-19-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The nerd rage against Larry the Cable Guy is so adorable.
Old 11-19-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The nerd rage against Larry the Cable Guy is so adorable.
Says the guy who rages against the Kinect power cable.
Old 11-19-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Says the guy who rages against the Kinect power cable.
Hmm, me thinks you have some wires crossed, honey.
Old 11-19-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The working title for this was MasturMater. Hmmmm
Old 03-12-11, 02:56 AM
Banned

as previously voiced here. I'm game for Micheal Fucking Caine...that's my reason to really want to see it. It's him. Cars was good...but it was the weakest one....but it was still pretty good. I'm not a fan of the trailers they're putting out. This one really gives off an ugly vibe I never got off of the Toy Story ones. This one gives me that "I'm a sequel and we're going to make money!" vibe. It's Pixar, I'm pretty sure that that's just me not looking favorably on the tone of the trailer. I'm still up in the air on this one. I just have a hard time trying to follow what is a supporting character now being the lead characters, Mater. He's "funny" in short bursts...but a whole damn movie? I dunno. Again...Caine is what makes me want to see the film.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGHwlExcaqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6_M1CQn8mLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-12-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I haven't gotten a decent vibe off the trailers either, but there have been other Pixar trailers that were lacking as well and those turned out okay.
Old 03-12-11, 08:22 AM
Banned

See for me, they all seemed fine. EXCEPT maybe Cars...
Old 03-12-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really liked the first one. I also did not mind Mater either but I agree he should be a supporting role. That being said, this one looks really good but the "Doc Hollywood" plot in the first one really made the movie for me. I hope there is that emotional side to this one as well.
Old 03-12-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced by the trailer, but I think by now Pixar has earned the benefit of the doubt. All of their movies have been great and even Cars, which was arguably the weakest, was still a good movie by non-Pixar standards. It has a lot of replayability and had a decent amount of heart too, not to mention incredible animation. This is the first non-Toy Story sequel, so we'll see what happens, but average-to-poor trailer notwithstanding, I'll still see it in theaters. It probably won't be Pixar's strongest entry, but I really don't think they're capable of making a bad movie; hopefully I'm not proven wrong.
Old 03-12-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I don't know. I love Pixar and I enjoyed Cars but this movie just seems like a DTV release. Even with Lasseter directing. I HOPE the movie is better than it looks but I sorta feel sad now.
Old 03-12-11, 11:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
See for me, they all seemed fine. EXCEPT maybe Cars...
I like the Cars jab on a recent episode of 'The Simpsons'
Old 03-12-11, 11:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
The working title for this was MasturMater. Hmmmm
you sir, ARE losing your mind ...
Old 03-12-11, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
I like the Cars jab on a recent episode of 'The Simpsons'
oh yeah? How'd it go?
Old 03-13-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yeah? How'd it go?
Old 03-13-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as previously voiced here. I'm game for Micheal Fucking Caine...that's my reason to really want to see it. It's him. Cars was good...but it was the weakest one....but it was still pretty good. I'm not a fan of the trailers they're putting out. This one really gives off an ugly vibe I never got off of the Toy Story ones. This one gives me that "I'm a sequel and we're going to make money!" vibe. It's Pixar, I'm pretty sure that that's just me not looking favorably on the tone of the trailer. I'm still up in the air on this one. I just have a hard time trying to follow what is a supporting character now being the lead characters, Mater. He's "funny" in short bursts...but a whole damn movie? I dunno. Again...Caine is what makes me want to see the film.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGHwlExcaqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6_M1CQn8mLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Had CARS on DVD, but lent it to a friend and never got it back. So, I went out bought CARS on BR. Not my fav Pixar movie, but I love it more now than ever. I was not fired up about the movie from the trailers, but like it a lot more than I thought I would after seeing it on the big screen.

All that being said, CARS 2 looks like a blast. CARS meets the Incredibles, that is the way I am viewing it.

Looking forward to watching CARS 2 on a Digital Screen this summer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.