Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, his last movie for them only made $400 million worldwide and over $100 million on DVD. What a flop! Luckily they've got Mike Myers and his hit film, The Love Guru.
Old 07-22-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
It's not about money. If it were, Paramount would be begging him to do this and an M:i:IV movie. Apparently some execs at Paramount got all pissy about the "I'm in love with Katie Holmes" thing from a while back.
Old 07-23-08, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No phony "MIG" planes = no sale
Old 07-23-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
I doubt Paramount would want Tom back.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Paramount has already said they're open to more Mission: Impossible movies with Tom.
Old 07-23-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Top Gun is one of those films that I never had any interest in seeing, ever. It always seemed uber-gay, so obviously I have no interest in seeing this get made. However, being as it's so uber-gay I'm sure Tom is more than willling.
Old 07-24-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
A now-bloated Val Kilmer will never fit into that cockpit.
hahaha!!!

Maybe they should call it "Top Bun" lol
Old 07-25-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
No homoerotic volleyball shenanigans, no sale.
They said it is a female pilot -- I'm seeing some real potential here!
Old 06-28-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Top Gun 2 - S: Tom Cruise

More great ideas out of tinseltown....

Nearly two years ago there were reports indicating The Powers That Be were toying with the notion of a TOP GUN sequel of some sort. After a brief frenzy of unsubstantiated infobits and rumors, deyails dried up pretty quickly.

But now, during a discussion with MTV about THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE, Jerry Bruckheimer's back to toss some fuel on those tantalizing embers.

"We tried to develop [a sequel] and we couldn't do it-- I was with my partner Don Simpson," Bruckheimer explained. "And then Tom took it over and he tried to develop something and it never quite happened." That's all in the past though. It turns out that "Top Gun" has been the subject of much more recent sequel discussions as well.

"We were recently approached again to start talking about it but, you know, nothing yet," he continued. "We kicked around some ideas because the aviation community has completely changed since we made the movie a long time ago. So we have to find a way in and how to incorporate the Maverick character into it."

...says Mr. Bruckheimer HERE, in an interview you can see for yourself via a magical embed.

Tony Scott's 1986 progenitor instantly set an as yet unchallenged Gold Standard for snarky homo-erotic posturing and oily, ripply-muscled volleyball hijinks. Can any of this be equalled or outdone over two decades later? At the very least, it would be interesting to find out...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45598

Tom Cruise's star is fading fast, but I doubt he'd be this desperate.

I'm surprised they're not going the reboot route.

P.S. I recently caught a bit of the original on TV. I found it a cringe-worthy piece of fluff that hasn't aged well.
Old 06-28-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
re: Top Gun 2: Return to the Danger Zone - S: Cruise, Kilmer, Edwards

Not a fan of this film but this is the only Top Gun sequel that would be any good:

<object width="480" height="400" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_8afa50b440"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=8afa50b440" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="480" height="400" flashvars="key=8afa50b440" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_8afa50b440" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 06-28-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

^^^It's still one of my favorite movies of the 80s. If you watch the making of documentary on the 2 disc dvd or bluray. They said a sequel could never be made becausee they used all of the arieal footage, and would have to go back to the government for involvement and shoot new flying footage. I could see them making a movie with Maverick as an instructor at Top Gun.
Old 06-28-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

They could totally make a sequel to this, if they play it so completely straight that it's tongue-in-cheek (think Bad Boys 2).
Old 06-28-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I recently caught a bit of the original on TV. I found it a cringe-worthy piece of fluff that hasn't aged well.
Some of us found it that way on its release.
Old 06-28-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I could see them making a movie with Maverick as an instructor at Top Gun.
And still married to Kelly Gillis' character, who is now a lesbian for some reason and apparently 30 years older than Maverick.

Old 06-28-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Only if he teams up with Jason Gedrick.
Old 06-28-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

My suggestion for a title:

Top Gun 2: Slider Still Stinks

BTW, this is what Rick Rossovich looks like more recently:

Arguably more attractive than Kelly McGillis though.
Old 06-28-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arguably?
Old 06-28-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

They should bring
Spoiler:
Goose
back as the ghost mentor.
Old 06-28-10, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh, people age. It's happening to all of us as we speak.
Can't expect someone 53 years old to look like they did when they were 29.

Much more disconcerting to me is that F-14s are totally obsolete and the movie would have to be done with single seater F-18 Super Hornets.
The lack of a back seat co-pilot kills the potential for unintentional gay subtext
Old 06-28-10, 08:23 PM

Old 06-29-10, 03:05 AM

A TOP GUN sequel made in the next three years?

Maverick would have to be...

1. An Admiral. And as anyone in the military knows, 'mavericks' don't make Admiral.

2. A failed presidential candidate that recruits an idiot for his VP choice. He has to live with the failure of not only losing, but placing a genuinely caustic public figure in the spotlight.

3. He becomes a congressional representative only to be convicted of taking bribes.

Thing of it is, fighter pilots are not really doing the heavy military lifting these days. Al-Qaida doesn't have jets, and dropping bombs on an enemy that can't even see your airplane doesn't look good on a movie screen.
Infantry, civil affairs, helicopter pilots are all playing a part in the big military operations. Even artillery guys and tankers have seen their military roles significantly redefined.
Contrast this to the 1980s where everyone thought we'd end with a full blown conventional war (or worse), and fighter pilots just look out of place.
Old 06-29-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb

1. An Admiral. And as anyone in the military knows, 'mavericks' don't make Admiral.

2. A failed presidential candidate that recruits an idiot for his VP choice. He has to live with the failure of not only losing, but placing a genuinely caustic public figure in the spotlight.

3. He becomes a congressional representative only to be convicted of taking bribes.

Thing of it is, fighter pilots are not really doing the heavy military lifting these days. Al-Qaida doesn't have jets, and dropping bombs on an enemy that can't even see your airplane doesn't look good on a movie screen.
Infantry, civil affairs, helicopter pilots are all playing a part in the big military operations. Even artillery guys and tankers have seen their military roles significantly redefined.
Contrast this to the 1980s where everyone thought we'd end with a full blown conventional war (or worse), and fighter pilots just look out of place.
I think you just set up the plot for the sequel.

After failing failing to ascend in the in the military ranks, former ghfiter pilot turned failed politician, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell tries to salvage his tarnished reputation by faking critical intel of Al-Qaeda forming its own airforce fighter squadrons.

Tom "Iceman" Kazansky is of course his idiot VP choice and co-conspirator.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-29-10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb

Even in Hollywood, something as outlandish as #2 above could never happen.
Old 06-29-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Or he could be protrayed as a "the maverick" who went on to become a movie star whose star power is quickly fading and has one shot left at redemption before he finally fades into direct to video fare.
Old 10-14-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Paramount's 'Top Gun' sequel takes shape
Report: Tom Cruise eyed for role, Bruckheimer may produce
Oct 14, 2010, 11:00 AM ET

Viacom's Paramount Pictures has made offers to producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Tony Scott for a sequel to their cult classic "Top Gun," with Christopher McQuarrie eyed to update the script, New York magazine's Vulture blog reported.

Tom Cruise is expected to make an appearance as Maverick, the report said.

David Ellison, the 27-year-old son of Oracle founder Larry Ellison, a trained aerobatic pilot, is a key driver of the project, according to Vulture.

He recently raised $350 million to finance films and struck a first-look deal with Paramount. The first of their film collaborations will be "Mission: Impossible 4," starring Cruise.
Old 10-14-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Viacom's Paramount Pictures has made offers to producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Tony Scott for a sequel to their cult classic "Top Gun," with Christopher McQuarrie eyed to update the script, New York magazine's Vulture blog reported.
How in the world is Top Gun a "cult classic"? It was the number one movie that year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.