Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Avatar 2: Delgo (2016, Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Originally Posted by RocShemp
ftfy
yeah, I saw that and thought..."well that's incorrect"
Old 07-31-13, 08:11 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

James Cameron has recruited Josh Friedman, who created Fox's cult hit series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," to work on the screenplay for the much-anticipated "Avatar 2," an individual familiar with the 20th Century Fox project has told TheWrap.

Friedman did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and a representative for his agency, UTA, referred TheWrap to Cameron's production company Lightstorm Entertainment.

Lightstorm's COO and "Avatar" producer Jon Landau, reached by TheWrap, said: "I would not comment on 'Avatar 2' one way or the other way."

Fox had no comment.

Friedman has a long-standing relationship with Fox, having created its series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and written a "Locke & Key" pilot for the Fox network. He also served as a producer on Fox's short-lived series "The Finder."

Friedman is a logical choice to work on the "Avatar 2," screenplay, as Cameron has entrusted the writer with his previously established characters, such as Sarah and John Connor. Friedman earned strong reviews as he expanded the "Terminator" mythology.

"Avatar" is the highest-grossing movie of all time, having amassed nearly $2.8 billion worldwide. With that in mind, it's fair to say that by default, "Avatar 2" is the most highly-anticipated sequel in the history of movies.

Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are expected to return for "Avatar 2," which is expected to hit theaters in 2015.

Friedman's previous screenwriting credits include Steven Spielberg's 2005 remake of "War of the Worlds" and Brian De Palma's serial killer thriller "The Black Dahlia." He also received story credit on the 1996 Keanu Reeves movie "Chain Reaction." He's repped by UTA and attorney Karl R. Austen.
Old 07-31-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I like Josh. He's a funny guy.
Old 09-17-13, 12:34 PM
Banned

Uhhhhh. I'm reading that Arnold is in Avatar 2. That really ups my interest in this. He's supposedly to play a villainous human general.
Old 09-17-13, 01:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup, looks like it's the latest rumor. Still can't believe this movie is 3 years out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/...in-in-avatar-2

Stoke the fires at the rumour mill, because a new report has come in saying Arnold Schwarzenegger will be playing the human antagonist in the first of the three planned Avatar sequels.

According to sources close to Latino Review, Arnie will play "a bad guy human general" who will cause trouble for Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), Princess Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) and the rest of the Na’vi in the first Avatar sequel, set to release in 2016. Director James Cameron had previously told MTV News that the sequel will continue the story directly on from the first movie, hinting that "those nasty humans didn't go away forever."

If the rumour proves to be true, it'll be the fourth collaboration between Schwarzenegger and Cameron, following Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and True Lies. That's a pretty magical run.

The three Avatar sequels are set to film simultaneously and then release one year after another starting in December of 2016.
Old 09-17-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like Snake, my interest is rising. I'd love to see Ahnuld and Cameron working together again.
Old 09-17-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think they're doing so they can dominate a series of Christmases. Three freaking years?
Old 09-18-13, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Arnold Schwarzenegger as a bad guy would be cool but I'd be lying if I didn't say this announcement made me wish they were announcing a True Lies sequel instead.
Old 09-18-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If nothing else, we know that Cameron knows how to direct Arnold as a bad guy. Much better than Joel Schumacher I would wager.
Old 09-18-13, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this the same story line as the first one? Military guy creating trouble for the blue people. Very creative, James. Stop with the 3d shit and make good movies again.
Old 09-18-13, 11:21 AM
Banned

Pretty much. Humans are coming back for revenge. Meh. It's Cameron directing Arnold again. That sounds like a must see.
Old 09-18-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Knowing Cameron, we WILL get an answer on why they didn't remotely attack from outer space.
Old 09-18-13, 06:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Avatar 2: Delgo (2016, Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

am i the only one that will freely admit i loved the first one in 3D in all its glory and grandeur?

which gives me an idea...
Old 12-16-13, 10:57 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — James Cameron says his vision for his three "Avatar" sequels is to create a family epic in the mold of "The Godfather" that will introduce viewers to new cultures and go underwater on his fictional moon Pandora.

The director announced Monday he will be filming the sequels in New Zealand, where he shot the triple Academy Award-winning original. In an interview with The Associated Press, Cameron also talked about life on a New Zealand farm, where he's growing walnuts and allowing his children to roam.

Cameron, 59, said he plans to release the first sequel in 2016, seven years after the release of "Avatar," which has become the highest-grossing film in history with a box office take of nearly $2.8 billion.

He said a core team has been developing new software for the sequels even while he's been gone on other projects, including 18 months planning a 7-mile descent to the deepest part of the ocean, which he successfully completed last year.

"It's going to be a lot of new imagery and a lot of new environments and creatures across Pandora," he said. "We're blowing it out all over the place. At first I thought I was going to take it onto other worlds as well, in the same solar system, but it turned out not to be necessary. I mean the Pandora that we have imagined will be a fantasy land that is going to occupy people for decades to come, the way I see it."

Cameron said the films will explore different Na'vi cultures as well the cultures of other Pandora creatures.

"There's a fair bit of underwater stuff. It's been inaccurately said that the second film takes place underwater. That's not true," he said. "There are underwater scenes and surface-water scenes having to do with indigenous ocean cultures that are distributed across the three films."

He said water is enormously difficult to recreate on a computer, something he's been talking about with Joe Letteri, the visual effects supervisor at Weta Digital.

"I said Joe, you know, there's a lot of water," Cameron said. "And he basically said 'Bring it on. We're ready.'"

He said the first movie focused on the main character, Jake Sully.

"It was very Jake-centric. His story seen through his eyes," Cameron said. "We spread it around quite a bit more as we go forward. It's really the story of his family, the family that he creates on Pandora. His extended family. So think of it as a family saga like 'The Godfather.'"

Cameron said the theme of sustainability that runs through the "Avatar" series also extends to his personal life. He and fifth wife Suzy Amis bought a farm about 90 minutes' drive from Wellington where they spend some of the year with their three children. Cameron said he's putting in 650 walnut trees.

"There'll also be tree crops, grains, produce, it will be quite a mixed bag," he said. "But really, I think of it as an experimental station to look at various sustainable agriculture approaches."

A native of Canada, Cameron said the New Zealand farm feels like "closing a loop" after he spent summers on his grandfather's farm in southern Ontario.

"The kids love it here. They love that combination of freedom and responsibility that you get here because you can run freely," he said. "There are no predators and snakes and that sort of thing. We just let them go out with a walkie-talkie, and as long as they are back by dinner, we don't care where they are."

He said he plans to bring his own helicopter from California to help make the commute from the farm to Wellington when he's working on the movies.

Before then, he said, he'll be throwing a Christmas party for the community around his farm. He said about 95 people turned up last year but he worries that numbers could be down this year because it's going to be an all-vegan menu, a lifestyle his family recently adopted.
Old 12-16-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I have no hype for it, I didn't dislike Avatar but it was nothing special. I'll probably see the sequels at some point.
Old 12-16-13, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Avatar 2 (2016, Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

I realize the first movie was the biggest hit of all time, but to be honest I know of nobody who is clamoring for a sequel.
Old 12-16-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Isn't the title a bit outdated now that Sully isn't controlling an avatar anymore? it described the first movie, but can it describe the sequels?

Perhaps Avatar is best as the subtitle, ie
The Story of Pandora: Avatar
The Story of Pandora: Terminator
The Story of Pandora: Sully's Babies
The Story of Pandora: Drawn-Out Finale
Old 12-16-13, 11:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Now that he's making the sequels in the mold of the Godfather, I'm now in.
Old 12-16-13, 11:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Now that he's making the sequels in the mold of the Godfather, I'm now in.
I just hope that means that Abe Vigoda will be included.
Old 12-16-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I also read that Avatar 2-4 have all been budgeted for 415 million. Not a bad deal and they'll be filming them all in NZ, so tax breaks for sure. The fact that Avatar 2 will make 2-3 times that much alone is a great ROI for the studio. Cameron could have asked the studio for 250 million a piece for each sequel and he would have gotten it.
Old 12-16-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cameron is a guy who is aware of what people want. I hope he understands that Avatar isn't a perfect movie.

I want to see him address the ability/inability to fire weapons from outer space.
Old 12-16-13, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I also read that Avatar 2-4 have all been budgeted for 415 million. Not a bad deal and they'll be filming them all in NZ, so tax breaks for sure. The fact that Avatar 2 will make 2-3 times that much alone is a great ROI for the studio. Cameron could have asked the studio for 250 million a piece for each sequel and he would have gotten it.
Knowing Cameron, there's no way in hell the three sequels come in at a budget of $415 million... $600 million, maybe.

fitprod
Old 12-16-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I was pretty meh about the first one. Big problem IMO is building around an actor with little charisma in Worthington.
Old 12-16-13, 07:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, as I was watching Avatar, I was really distracted by how little it was like The Godfather. I'm glad Cameron is addressing this issue with the sequels. I can't wait to see The Avatar, Part II, where Sully's rise to power among the Na'vi is paralleled by his father's travails in Little Italy in the early decades of the 1900s.
Old 12-16-13, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'll be rooting for the human army. Obliterate those bluebies!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.