Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson, Cornish

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson, Cornish

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: RoboCop (2014, Padilha) S: Kinnaman, Oldman, Jackson

But the HAND!! Geeeeeeeezzzz
Old 06-07-13, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no confirmation about the purpose of Murphy's human hand yet, but it might be a symbol of his resurfacing humanity; time will tell.
Old 06-07-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,172 Likes on 914 Posts

It'd be nice if the new film prompted a re-release of the original Robocop and the sequels on Blu-ray. I know that the trilogy set is readily available cheap but it sounds like a pretty mediocre set and has no extras to speak of which sucks.

Also for fans of the character this is pretty damn cool. Expensive but very cool.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=...op#HotToysItem
Hot Toys is also doing an ED-209.
Old 06-07-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
There's no confirmation about the purpose of Murphy's human hand yet, but it might be a symbol of his resurfacing humanity; time will tell.
Sometimes even Robocop needs to relieve stress whenever it rises to the surface.

Originally Posted by Mike86
It'd be nice if the new film prompted a re-release of the original Robocop and the sequels on Blu-ray. I know that the trilogy set is readily available cheap but it sounds like a pretty mediocre set and has no extras to speak of which sucks.

Also for fans of the character this is pretty damn cool. Expensive but very cool.
Spoiler:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=...op#HotToysItem
Hot Toys is also doing an ED-209.
That is awesome!
Old 06-07-13, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well, the second film is terrible anyway; hard to believe Irvin Kershner directed it. The third would be passable, if not for having so many corny characters. Burke was a good replacement for Weller, and I liked Jill Hennessy and CCH Pounder; Lewis' sacrifice was the most important emotional moment, though.

They do look incredible, but I can't imagine spending $300 for something that's just going to collect dust on a shelf.
Old 06-07-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,172 Likes on 914 Posts

Well, the second film is terrible anyway; hard to believe Irvin Kershner directed it. The third would be passable, if not for having so many corny characters. Burke was a good replacement for Weller, and I liked Jill Hennessy and CCH Pounder; Lewis' sacrifice was the most important emotional moment, though.
Robocop 2 while definitely nowhere near as good as the first one had it's moments. Robocop 3 on the other hand is pretty bad all around. Still a new Blu-ray set with some extras I'd probably bite on.

They do look incredible, but I can't imagine spending $300 for something that's just going to collect dust on a shelf.
They are really cool figures in person, although expensive. If you have a proper place for displaying them they can look really great.
Old 06-07-13, 11:25 AM
RIP

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Nothing will better the original in my opinion. NOTHING.
Old 06-07-13, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. That was lighting in a bottle. Had big emotion, horror, violence, action, etc. had it all. I'm not shitting on this film but to change a lot of the character as it is, they'd better have an amazing story to back up the change.
Old 06-07-13, 01:28 PM
RIP

It might be a great film. But it won't better the 1987 film. Not for me.
Old 06-07-13, 01:31 PM
Banned

That's why we call it preference.
Old 06-07-13, 01:33 PM
RIP

That's to suggest that some people may end up preferring this version. Doubtful.

Robocop is sacred to me. I can't help it.
Old 06-07-13, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
That's to suggest that some people may end up preferring this version. Doubtful.
If what's been revealed is any indication, I'll probably like this more than any of the others. The first two had tons of gore and language for nothing more than its own sake, and the third went sideways into camp territory. The TV series was OK, and I liked most of "Prime Directives", so I'm hoping the reboot has a better balance between extremes.
Old 06-07-13, 01:43 PM
RIP

If what's been revealed is any indication, I'll probably like this more than any of the others. The first two had tons of gore and language for nothing more than its own sake, and the third went sideways into camp territory. The TV series was OK, and I liked most of "Prime Directives", so I'm hoping the reboot has a better balance between extremes.
It was partly satirical. Hence a lot of excessive violence. What are you doing watching R-rated movies anyway? (serious question, not trying to be a dick)
Old 06-07-13, 01:49 PM
Banned

You're very ignorant to not comprehending that the violence had a point. It wasn't just to get it in there.
Old 06-07-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Get a gander at this!

People are tripping off of the hand. I remember in the first film they said they could save his arm but what's his face told them to take it and give him an artificial arm. I'm guessing they save his arm and hand in this one.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-07-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 02:01 PM
RIP

I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis, now lose the arm!
Old 06-07-13, 02:52 PM

Robocop is an absolute classic and was way better than it ever should have been. But here's the problem: have you ever tried getting somebody to watch it who hasn't seen it? The movie sounds idiotic. My parents let me watch it when I was 7 because it sounds like a kids movie. Most people don't realize that it's a pretty solid movie, yes with an emotional core and social satire.

I think that's why Robocop 3 basically was a kids movie with robot ninjas, thugs called "splatterpunks," Robocop making vroom vroom noises every time he moves, and ED-209 being loyal as a puppy. Wasn't there also a kids cartoon based on it? People think it's for 11-year old boys, not realizing that somebody melts alive and it's pretty much the most awful death ever.

If that's what most people think when they hear Robocop, that's why I fear the franchise coming back, it might target that group.
Old 06-07-13, 02:55 PM

Another random thought. The idea of Robocop is a little dated isn't it?

Look at a lot of the sci-fi of the 80's and before. A lot of hopes for future tech were that everybody would have robot servants as butlers and employees and such. Watch something like Runaway. That often comes off the same way that a 90's movie about virtual reality does.
Old 06-07-13, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You're very ignorant to not comprehending that the violence had a point. It wasn't just to get it in there.
I know that some of it was needed to make the film believable, but a lot was disgusting. The executive killed by ED-209 is clearly dead after the first shot, but Verhoeven kept focusing on the body being turned into pulp, which wasn't necessary. Similarly, Emil getting melted and liquified by Murphy's cruiser was another gross-out moment.

It was partly satirical. Hence a lot of excessive violence.
Well, I didn't find much of it very funny at all, just insulting.

What are you doing watching R-rated movies anyway? (serious question, not trying to be a dick)
I don't watch many of them; it depends on why the film was given the rating. One of my favorites is "The Crow", which got its rating mostly for language and moderate sexuality, not major gore. Similarly, "My Cousin Vinny" was rated higher due to language, and not much else.
Old 06-07-13, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The original Robocop is perfect. It works as an action film, as satire, and even as a movie with an emotional core. That is why I never saw the sequels, and why I won't see this. Not a frame needs to be changed from that film. Not a single goddamned frame.

And the use of violence is very intentional. Verhoeven didn't throw it in for kicks.
Old 06-07-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

I know that some of it was needed to make the film believable, but a lot was disgusting. The executive killed by ED-209 is clearly dead after the first shot, but Verhoeven kept focusing on the body being turned into pulp, which wasn't necessary. Similarly, Emil getting melted and liquified by Murphy's cruiser was another gross-out moment.
None of that was to be believable. The excessive violence was used for the sake of satire. Don't take this as an insult (it's really just an observation) but you missed the point if you thought otherwise.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
And the use of violence is very intentional. Verhoeven didn't throw it in for kicks.
Exactly. It's not gratuitous as it might seem at first blush.
Old 06-07-13, 09:04 PM
Banned

To me, such things just serve as ratings boosters, often approved by people who feel the story won't stand up without them. In my opinion, if you can't make a worthwhile film without including such garbage, it shouldn't be made.
Old 06-07-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Nothing will better the original in my opinion. NOTHING.
Are you sure?

www.flickchart.com

RoboCop is #14 on my chart. What does it rank on yours?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-07-13 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Even the title: Robocop sounds weak and sugarcoated and that was the point, because when it hits you it hits you hard.

"You burned the fucking money!"
Old 06-07-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o97uNzbBfis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.