Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
0%
12.90%
16.13%
22.58%
22.58%
9.68%
3.23%
9.68%
0%
0%
What are you high?
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 03:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"The Predator" (Starring: Boyd Holbrook, Olivia Munn, Trevante Rhodes, Keegan-Michael Key, Jacob Tremblay, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Jake Busey, Yvonne Strahovski)

Release Date:
9/14/18

Rating:
R (for strong bloody violence, language, and crude sexual references throughout.)

Running Time:
107m. (1h. 47m.)

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home. Now, the universe's most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race. Written by Twentieth Century Fox

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.2 (8,093 votes as of 9/15/18)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:60 Rotten:115 (34% as of 9/15/18)

Metacritic:
49 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 9/15/18)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-15-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 06:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: The Predator (Black, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

bump for release...
Old 09-13-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

How about updating the ratings to their true numbers? 36% now
Old 09-13-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just got back, holy cow, that movie was all over the place. Mostly a mess, but still entertaining.
Old 09-13-18, 08:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Just got back, holy cow, that movie was all over the place. Mostly a mess, but still entertaining.
I'd agree. It is definitely a very different entry to the franchise.

It was better than Predator 2. I don't think better than Predators though.

The cast was good. I know she gets shit, but I like Munn a lot. Though, I was taken out of the movie by her. I thought she handled herself well in the role, but (and maybe I missed it) what is her background? She says she is a biologist, but she stands toe to toe with soldiers and the Predator. Did they mention military training?

The behind the scenes stuff kind of soured me a bit. I really like Shane Black and it was disappointing to hear all the stuff.

Overall, I wouldn't disparage anyone from seeing it.

The ending was dumb as fuck though.

Last edited by dex14; 09-13-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I just got back from this. They totally fucking "Ragnarok-ed" this shit. It was fucking bonkers! Now for those that read the prequel novel, certain characters that make it over to this film, were not portrayed in the same fashion - some were just glorified cameos, if you're sharp enough to spot them.

As far as my ratings go for the Predator non-AVP films are:

Predator
Predator 2
The Predator
Predators

They could go and release an unrated/director's cut if they wanted - I have a feeling that there may have been more action and sub-plots deleted from this version not counting that one that generated controversy. I may go back and see it again. I saw it with a great crowd. The theater was 40% full and it was in one of the bigger screens.

I recommend it.

Oh, and as far as that ending goes - total fucking Iron Man homage. Get it? I wish it would have been a female Yautja, but whatevs.
Old 09-13-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just got back from seeing it in IMAX.

It’s all over the place and very campy in spots.

But, the 11 foot Predator was kind of cool and the kills were gory.

The ending was so dumb. I didn’t really like the male supporting cast. Some of the dialogue was cringe worthy.

I’d give it between a B- and C+ Probably more C+

And Predator dogs even with the dreads too.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-14-18 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought the script wasn't all that bad. The only thing that really made no sense to me was the side story about the Predator dogs. I have absolutely no idea what they were going for with that. The dog was shot in the head, and then what? Was he trying to make friends with the humans? Were the humans going to use him as their own pet/warrior. It really never went anywhere, and was kind of a bizarre, out of place twist. I think one of the reasons it felt all over the place was because of the breakneck pace of the movie. The speed and pace didn't do the film any favours. The film never slowed down enough to let you process anything. I had trouble buying into the characters or the story because as soon as you took in and absorbed something that happened, 5 other things happened. I think the film would have benefited greatly if the pace had been scaled back by about 20%, even if it made the film 15-20 minutes longer. I still didn't hate it. I liked it. I liked the story it told about the Predator universe. I liked the Super Predator. So I'd give it a 6.5/10. But I think if they addressed the things I mentioned, I'd be closer to a 7.5/10.

Another side note. They don't make rough around the edges tough guys anymore. I don't think men like Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke, Carl Weathers, Sonny Landham and Arnie exist in this generation. I know they tried to hit a comedic tone with this new movie, but I think they also tried to recreate the onscreen tough guy role too with the band of misfit soldiers. But that kind of man is extinct onscreen in 2018. Onscreen, but maybe just in society too.

Anyways, it would have been cool if Arnie cameo'd and set up a new Predator movie with him as the lead. Too bad.
Old 09-14-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that dog was initially shot in the head at point blank range but instead of it dying the bullet made him less aggressive and loyal.

They never did show what happened to it, with exception to that shot of him crouching in the background towards the end.
Old 09-14-18, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Anyways, it would have been cool if Arnie cameo'd and set up a new Predator movie with him as the lead. Too bad.
In the film, the very last scene finds Quinn McKenna (Boyd Holbrook) learning that a rogue Predator has gifted humanity with a "Predator killer", which turns out to be a suit of Iron Man-esque super-armor (remember that overly-busy Shredder design from 2014's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Well, it's like that, only it's also a Predator). Obviously, the intention here was to set up a sequel, one wherein McKenna would use this eyesore of an exoskeleton to protect the world against a new wave of Predator attacks. Eh, well, alright!

In Dekker and Black's original screenplay, however, this scene isn't there. Instead, McKenna, his son, Rory (Jacob Tremblay) and Casey Bracket (Olivia Munn) have all just survived the final attack of the Super Predator (referred to as "The Upgrade" in the script) when a helicopter lands. Out climbs...Dutch Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), his "face haunted; etched by pain." Dutch tells the trio to come with him, and when Rory asks, "Uh...me, too?", the franchise's second-most iconic badass smiles and says "Especially you."

Cut to black.

It's easy to imagine fans going absolutely apeshit upon the Dutch reveal. The thought of Schwarzenegger returning for a sequel - which was clearly what this scene was setting up - would've sent them out of the theater dying to see what would happen next. It's a great ending, undeniably better than the one we got, so...what happened?

Well, a look at ye olde BMD archives makes answering that question very easy: back in April of last year, we learned that Schwarzenegger was approached about appearing in the film, read the script, didn't like it, and opted not to do it. Here's exactly what he said at the time:

"They asked me, and I read it, and I didn’t like it — whatever they offered. So I’m not going to do that, no. Except if there’s a chance that they rewrite it, or make it a more significant role. But the way it is now, no, I won’t do that."

Whatever other misgivings Schwarzenegger had about Dekker and Black's script are unknown, but mentioning he'd be interested in a "more significant role" kinda spells out the issue here, don't you think? The Austrian Oak wanted a bigger role, not a cameo, and presumably didn't have the patience or inclination to wait for the next Predator movie to make that happen. Kind of a bummer, to be sure, but let's be frank: Schwarzenegger ain't getting any younger. One can imagine him wanting to get the job done sooner rather than later.
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/09...much-different

It’s no secret that Schwarzenegger was offered a brief cameo role in The Predator, only to turn it down. Now in a new interview with Digital Spy, Black elaborated on Arnie’s reasoning for rejecting the offer, and how he could reappear in the future.

The studio wanted a fresher movie that featured an evolving cast. They didn't want to hinge the movie on the re-emergence of Schwarzenegger. It would probably be more of a matter of his showing up briefly and just participating at the very end, at the climax of the movie. Understandably – and believe me, I completely get it – he said, 'Look, that's kind of a small part, and I don't really think I want to do that. I'm off to do Terminator with Jim Cameron, basically. Or for Jim Cameron. So I totally got it, you know? If I was Schwarzenegger, I'd want to be one of the stars of a film or nothing.

Arnold’s cameo would have left the door wide open for future sequels, which is still a possibility.

I even said to him, 'If you're in this one, we would open it up for the sequel, because now you're back in the franchise.’ So you know, if there's another movie, there's no reason why he couldn't be either in it, or the star of it, or whatever someone decides at a future date.
https://screenrant.com/predator-2018...negger-sequel/
Old 09-14-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So there's that cameo that never happened. Then there's the supposed actual ending that did not test well with more Predators coming in to save the day or some shit? I guess folks groaned when they showed Predators on vehicles operating machine gun turrets? Of course, it could not be confirmed that it may have just been the actors fucking around on set.
Old 09-14-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Hoping to see this soon. I’m not expecting it to be great but still kind of looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES. Your mileage may vary.

THE PREDATOR (R) - Over-reliance on unnecessarily gratuitous profane comedy overshadows some interesting ideas and nearly ruins the return of a classic franchise

Thirty-one years after Arnie ordered us all to “get to da choppa”, the latest entry in the Predator franchise has arrived with mixed results. Infused with a lot of comedy, much of it of the frat-boy raunchy potty-mouth nature, there are some cool ideas that get lost amongst the noise of the numerous “f” bombs, and unfortunate sexual references.

Written and directed by Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3), perhaps some of this was to be expected, especially given the set-up and background of many of the characters. After witnessing the crash of an Predator ship, then losing his men to the high-tech alien, Quinn McKenna (Boyd Holbrooks) ships some found alien tech to his autistic son, middle-schooler, Rory (Jacob Tremblay).

Quinn briefly ends up in the custody of a secret government agency led by smarmy, smooth-talking Traegar (Sterling K. Brown), whose job is to keep the fact of the Predators’ existence out of the public eye, and determine how to use the aliens and their tech to human advantage. Recently recruited Casey (Olivia Munn), an alien physiologist, is also present as a recently captured Predator escapes, and is joined by Quinn and his recent new acquaintances, the “Loonies”, as they track the Predator and eventually, the super Predator who is actually hunting the first one.

Turns out that Rory, who has Asperger's Syndrome, manages to activate and operate the Predator tech his dad sent him, and it’s alerted the rival Predators to the fact that someone on Earth has figured out how to interpret and use their technology. Trust me, there’s a lot going on here...

I like the set-up, and some of the ideas that are revealed as the movie progresses are pretty cool, including the Predator pit-bulls, what happens once Rory is on the Predators’ radar, and so forth. I even enjoyed much of the non-raunchy comedy that was frequently injected into the proceedings. However, the real R-rated comedy bits were many times pushed way too far where it became, in fact, uncomfortable for me.

All that being said, there’s some good stuff in The Predator, and then there’s stuff that sullied my full enjoyment of the movie and that I felt was unnecessary. I am giving The Predator 2.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: The Predator is rated R for pervasive language, gory violence, and sexual references. The “f” bomb is used throughout the film by nearly every main character on-screen, many times in a sexual context, along with other profanities. The word “pu**y” is also used several times in a sexual context. Rory is bullied because of his autism. Tourette’s Syndrome is constantly played for many uncomfortable laughs. The Predators kill many, many humans, in very bloody, gory ways. The “Loonies” kill several black ops soldiers when it become necessary to rescue Rory. The Predators fight each other, and much glowy green blood is spilled.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no extra scenes once the credits roll.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 09-14-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

It was pretty much what I expected. Okay but not great. It was planning in the largest screen theater at Alamo Drafthouse but there were only 10 of us.
Old 09-14-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think that dog was initially shot in the head at point blank range but instead of it dying the bullet made him less aggressive and loyal.

They never did show what happened to it, with exception to that shot of him crouching in the background towards the end.
My speculation is that had to do with the sex offender scene that got cut. They said those revolved around some guy bothering Olivia Munn while she was jogging so they probably bookended the movie. I'm guessing there was a scene with the Predator dog showing up while he was bothering her at the end.
Old 09-15-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was some choppy editing, though. What happened to the pitbull that they showed running and it looked like they were going to take it up on the helicopter but then you never see him again?

I'm seeing this again tomorrow with some friends that have not yet seen it.
Old 09-15-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I enjoyed it but I couldn't stand the poor man's Charlie Hunnam.
I had no idea Thomas Jane was in this so that was cool.
The ending was really fucking stupid though.
Old 09-15-18, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of that 100 movies I have seen this year, this has been in the bottom three. I felt like it tried to be a mixture between a teenage comedy, sci-fi, and action movie. It felt like a lot of scenes were cut. Terrible movie.
Old 09-15-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why Boyd is getting shit on. Have you guys not seen Narcos on Netflix? He's great in it. Granted, Pascal steals it, but Boyd is awesome.
In any event, saw it it just now and my screening was half full, a great time was had by all. Great crowd.

That "eat my pussy" scene is still funny as hell. Munn's veneers are quite distracting, though. She has a giant overbite now.
Old 09-15-18, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I enjoyed it but I couldn't stand the poor man's Charlie Hunnam.
I had no idea Thomas Jane was in this so that was cool.
The ending was really fucking stupid though.
Boyd Holbrook is a way better actor that Charlie Hunnam.
Old 09-15-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Boyd Holbrook is a way better actor that Charlie Hunnam.

Charlie was great in Papillon, one of the best films of the year that no one saw.
Old 09-15-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Predator dog gets shot in the head. Now dog friendly. This movie sucked complete ass.
Were there any test screening for this? Good lord.
Old 09-16-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Better than the AvP shit shows and maybe on the level of Predator 2...that's the best I can really say. Coming from Shane Black this was a massive disappointment and made me wish I still had MoviePass (the old version that let you see new releases and as many movies as you wanted) to soften the fact that I parted with $9 (but I did get a free movie voucher with my frequent attendance points, so I broke even).

Judging from the movie's tone and characters, I think Black probably had a "Dirty Dozen" homage type script that he was working on and decided to revise it to fit in a Predator story. It's pretty evident as the Predator seems kind of shoehorned as the macguffin. In fact, the final act came across as Black remembering he needed to actually have Predator stuff happen in his movie and find a way to get rid of a bunch of characters that he forgot to gradually bump off as the story progressed. Just sloppy, no denying it.

On the positive side, I did like the Predator outfits, designs, and some of the characters and dialogue bits were funny at times.
Old 09-16-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-of...or-1202943499/

$24M opening weekend.

Not very good. Once word got out that this wasn't very good, probably scared off many potential viewers.

With probably a 50-60% drop next week, this is probably going to be a domestic bust.

I wasn't expecting some kind of masterpiece in action and sci-fi filmmaking, but I'm very disappointed that this was written and directed by Shane Black.
Old 09-16-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

My 14 year old and I just got back from seeing it. He really liked it a lot. I thought it was enjoyable but dumb.

It was like a 17 year old boy wrote it to appeal to his 15 year old friends. Very immature and sometimes downright silly. A lot of humor in it that wasn't expected. I would say it hit about 50% of the time (way better average than most DC movies ). Wall to wall action for 95% of the movie so I enjoyed the pace since the script was so silly.

As everyone mentioned, the bad dog gone good made ZERO sense. I enjoyed the 11 foot Predator but it seems the CG in this movie went from good to great to horrible to so-so then back all around again. It was all over the place...kinda like the mood of this film.

It's definitely a high school boy's dream minus any female nudity. Lots of cussing. Lots of action. Lots of gore. Lots of loud noises.

If you like the other Predator films despite their faults, as I do, then go see it. You will still enjoy it.

My rating: *** out of *****
My kid's rating: ****1/2 out of ***** (He is 14 1/2. 'Nuff said)

Also, was anyone else expecting a Xenomorph to pop out at the end instead of the Iron Man Predator suit like I was? That should have happened and then cut to black. Imagining it laying waste to everyone in the room was a nice ending thought after watching the movie.

And the This Is Us guy wasn't a great badass. It came across like he was trying way to hard the majority of the time. But...he was still enjoyable...actually...kinda like the entire movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.