Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: The Hobbit

Originally Posted by Drexl
If he could delay Yellow Submarine for a while, I think Robert Zemeckis would be good. He'd still get to do some motion capture, just not for the whole freakin' movie.
I can't think of many worse nig-name decisions. Zemeckis would kill this thing dead.
Old 06-03-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever comes into this is going to have to accept that they are basically a hired hand. It almost doesn't matter who takes over, most of the work has been done. They will be there to steer this humongous production. So they will need someone who can handle the responsibility.
Old 06-03-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...well it does make sense.

Why Peter Jackson must step in to direct The Hobbit.

With Guillermo del Toro's decision to pull out as director of The Hobbit, a part of Peter Jackson must be happy he might end up directing instead – and we should be, too.
When Peter Jackson announced two years ago that he was handing Guillermo del Toro the reins to The Hobbit, there were more than a few raised eyebrows. Sure, Del Toro had the vision, skill and understanding of fantasy to adapt JRR Tolkien's earlier book in a manner that would allow it to sit comfortably with the three Lord of the Rings films while maintaining its own distinct character. But why was Jackson himself not directing? They say never go back, but The Lord of the Rings trilogy was Jackson's making as a major commercial director. How could he resist returning to Middle Earth?

It turned out that he couldn't. Initially positioned as an executive producer, Jackson soon moved on to working with Del Toro on the screenplay, along with his regular collaborators, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. Later, Jackson said he had offered his services as second unit director; with Del Toro planning two films, the argument went, he would need all the help he could get.

Given that Del Toro announced earlier this week he was leaving The Hobbit, you may wonder where I am going with all this. Have no fear: I am not doubting the Mexican film-maker's given reasons, nor am I suggesting a conspiracy. Del Toro says he signed up for three years, but is unwilling to commit to six, and we must believe him. Yet it would be pretty naive to suggest there is no part of Peter Jackson pleased to find he might still get to direct The Hobbit.

Will he take on the project? Jackson himself said earlier this week that he might, should it be the only way of safeguarding Warner Bros' investment. His manager seems to think it's pretty unlikely, however. Jackson has commitments to several other movies, and would need to be released from those first.

The vagaries of inter-studio bartering are of little interest to filmgoers. All we want to know is who is the best person for the job, and Jackson is clearly the fellow. This is the director who transformed The Lord of the Rings from an unfilmable white elephant of English literature into a blockbuster trilogy. Jackson suggested three years ago that he did not want to compete with his own previous films, but that seems like strange and shallow reasoning: given all the work he and his team have done to prepare the screenplay, he is the ideal man to plunge straight in and make the film happen. Any other option risks further delays.

If he does not direct, he must decide whether to plump for an established film-maker who has the back catalogue and standing to offer their own take on the story, or bring in a less experienced director to do the donkeywork while Jackson pulls the strings as a creative producer. Go for the former and further delays are risked, as whoever comes in might want to change aspects of the screenplay or art direction. Take the latter option and he might as well just direct the thing himself.

Here's another reason Jackson might want to take the controls: The Hobbit mess is largely of his own making. While much of the delay in shooting has been due to the financial crisis at MGM, the project has also changed shape dramatically during the screenwriting process. At first, it was supposed to be two films: one based on Tolkien's Hobbit, and another acting as a bridge leading up to the events of The Lord of the Rings. Then, last year, it was announced that both films would be based on The Hobbit alone. This was an eminently sensible decision, since there is little in Tolkien's writings to draw on for a bridge film, yet it ignores an essential problem: only one film is needed.

Jackson ought to have stood up to the studios in the first place and insisted that there was no need for the narrative to be split in two. Warner and MGM have in mind the huge success of the Lord of the Rings films, and are no doubt imagining back-to-back Christmas releases. But The Hobbit is a far shorter, simpler tale, and should be shot as a single movie.

Any director who arrives this late in the day is going to have to accept all of their predecessor's decisions, and that is a big ask. Alfonso Cuarón or Sam Raimi would make fine choices if Jackson wants film-makers with experience and vision. Both love the fantasy genre, as viewers of the excellent third Harry Potter film, The Prisoner of Azkaban, or the third Evil Dead movie will be well aware (let us not mention Xena: Warrior Princess). District 9's Neill Blomkamp would work well with Jackson acting as a mentor, as he did on last year's Oscar-nominated sci-fi movie.

But in the end, there is only one person for the job. When it comes to Middle Earth, Jackson took us there, and he should take us back again

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ect-the-hobbit
Old 06-04-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Works for me.
Old 06-04-10, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The main reason Jackson should direct is to spare us all from another King Kong or The Lovely Bones.
Old 06-04-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I can't think of many worse nig-name decisions. Zemeckis would kill this thing dead.
Old 06-04-10, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahaha
Old 06-04-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I can't think of many worse nig-name decisions.
Old 06-04-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best typo ever?
Old 06-04-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

just fucking

... bring on Hellboy 3!
Old 06-15-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Did somebody say Brett Ratner?

Two Studios Trying To Talk Peter Jackson Into Helming 'The Hobbit' Films (Say Yes!)
By MIKE FLEMING
Tuesday June 15, 2010 @ 5:26am EDT

Here's a glimmer of hope for those die-hard fans of The Lord of the Rings (like me) who hope that Peter Jackson will realize the best director for The Hobbit is the one he sees in the mirror each morning. My sources say that nobody has been offered the helming job -- yet. Instead, Warner Bros and MGM brass are doing all they can to sell Jackson on the seemingly obvious notion that he should complete the franchise he started with three LOTR films that grossed $2.9 billion worldwide. Particularly since he co-wrote the scripts for the two Hobbit movies and already is producing and can shoot both in his backyard. One of the rumored reasons that prompted one-time director Guillermo del Toro's recent exit, I hear, was the prospect of transplanting his family to New Zealand, where Jackson has his visual effects factory and is so comfortable shooting. Warner Bros and MGM braintrust will keep pursuing him until Jackson gives a definitive no.

Other filmmakers are interested in replacing del Toro. Sources tell me David Yates, David Dobkin, and the ubiquitous Brett Ratner are among them. One tricky part of the equation is the deal numbers. So much gross already has been committed on the picture that there isn't much left to give to a top-level director. Sources tell me that gross participants include the JRR Tolkien estate, Jackson, Saul Zaentz, even Harvey Weinstein, who bargained for a 5% gross stake in the original trilogy. (That happened when Michael Eisner refused to finance two LOTR films, and Weinstein gave Jackson a short turnaround window to shop the property. Jackson made the trilogy deal with Bob Shaye at New Line right before that turnaround window closed). No matter who gets the gig, they'll have to accept a creative deal or the financing studios will be hard pressed to make money.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/two-...-hobbit-films/
Old 06-15-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hahahaha. I think some reports put Ratner's name into a story just so fanboys can cry out and demand a better director instead - in this case, Jackson.
Old 06-15-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I like this article:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/mgm-a...atner-o,42146/
With Guillermo del Toro’s recent exit leaving a massive hole in The Hobbit, MGM and Warner Bros. are said to be riding their bikes in circles outside Peter Jackson’s house hoping he’ll look out, realize that they like like him, and finally just agree to finish the job he started with The Lord Of The Rings. Jackson has been reluctant to step back into the job despite having co-written the scripts, being signed on to produce, and already living in New Zealand—which is said to be a deciding factor in del Toro bailing—so the studios are said to be committed to pursuing him until he finally offers a definitive no.

In the meantime, MGM and Warner Bros. sources are tossing out the names of folks said to be interested in taking over such as Brett Ratner and Fred Claus director David Dobkin, which is sort of like telling a kid you’re going to feed his dinner to the dog if he doesn’t come to the table straight away. Have MGM and Warner Bros. considered just starting a Facebook campaign?
Old 06-15-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
EW suggested the name of ALfonso Cuaron. Which I am down with..not sure how his 'Hobbit' World would look like.
It would look exactly like Peter Jackson has been planning it.
Old 06-15-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is McG busy?
Old 06-15-10, 09:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Tarantino!
Old 06-20-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neill Blomkamp in the directors chair? Hmm...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45502
Old 06-20-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I would kill or die to ensure Ratner directs THE HOBBIT. Watching LOTR nerds self-righteously implode is a hootenanny!
Old 06-20-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Hobbit

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I would kill or die to ensure Ratner directs THE HOBBIT. Watching LOTR nerds self-righteously implode is a hootenanny!
You don't think geeks' feelings should be held in high regard, do you?
Old 06-20-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I hope Blomkamp doesn't take the job so he can focus on District 10
Old 06-20-10, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Neill Blomkamp in the directors chair? Hmm...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45502
....oooh. That'd be interesting.
Old 06-25-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From DHD:

EXCLUSIVE: In what amounts to a dream come true for fans of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit, trusted sources are telling me. His deal is being negotiated right now with Warner Bros , New Line and MGM.

He will shortly take the reins over from Guillermo del Toro, after extricating himself from other project obligations that caused Jackson and manager Ken Kamins to initially deny he would be the director. While Jackson’s camp has been tight-lipped, I’m told that Jackson as director has been part of the discussion in trying to get MGM’s owners to do what is needed to make the back-to-back films possible for an end of the year shoot.

The signs have been there for some time. While several directors have angled for the job, no offer was ever made to one. I think that's because Jackson was figuring out if he wanted to direct two more films, and Kamins had to pave the way once he decided to continue the saga he started with The Lord of the Rings. It became more evident lately, when he, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens scheduled a trip to London the week of July 4, followed by a trip to Los Angeles the following week, to meet the most impressive actors who’ve been put on tape by casting directors. Jackson, Walsh and Boyens wrote the scripts with del Toro. But if someone else was directing, wouldn’t that filmmaker be brought aboard before those casting decisions were made?

More to come...
Old 06-25-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome.

I just hope this doesn't mean two 3 hour-movies. It really doesn't need to be that long, does it?
Old 06-25-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From DHD:

EXCLUSIVE: In what amounts to a dream come true for fans of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit...
Woohoo! I'm clearing my calendar for December 2016 in anticipation!
Old 06-25-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Hot damn!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.