Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
<-------Gets down on knees and thanks God they went with Del Toro over Sam Raimi.
Old 04-28-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Oh man, I'm loving everything Del Torro said in his recent interview. Same cast/crew when possible, practical over CG, same world but different feel... this is like a dream. Nice to have movies again that I'm really looking forward to.
Old 04-28-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
<-------Gets down on knees and thanks God they went with Del Toro over Sam Raimi.
I really don't think the films would be that different if Raimi directed it. He might have went for a different feel, but Jackson, and their respect for him, wouldn't allow them to stray far from the established world.

Until the films come out and prove me otherwise, I'm going to feel like Del Toro is wasted when not doing a film he originated. I'm sure they'll be great, but I look forward to his personal projects more, which after Hellboy look to be 4 years away.
Old 04-29-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd always said that if Jackson couldn't direct del Toro would be the obvious choice. He has a deep love for the Tolkien books, and his films have an undeniably rich atmosphere that make him a perfect candidate for taking over. With Jackson producing and writing I have no doubts this will be as good as the LotR films.
Old 04-30-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sir Ian McKellen confirms himself: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/
Empire Magazine caught up with Sir Ian McKellen at the UK Premiere of Speed Racer at which he had this to say:

“Yes, it’s true,” he said. “I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it’s not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf.”

The other great tidbit of news is that we have a timeline for the script development - about 6 weeks. Make sure to read the full story and intereview at EMPIRE! (Thanks to Mr. Platt for the heads up!) Read More

Last edited by pinata242; 04-30-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What am I missing about Del Toro. I'll admit that I don't know much, if anything about him, but the only movies of his I've even heard of are Mimic, Blade 2, Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth. Forgive me for not being up to date on his prior "non-English" movies, but personally I thought Mimic, all the Blade movies and Hellboy were complete junk. I've never seen Pan's Labyrinth so I can't comment on that.

He seems a lot like Peter Jackson before LOTR came out. Jackson made a couple movies that weren't all that great, but before LOTR came out most people still hadn't heard of him or at the very least didn't know much about him. When most people heard he was doing LOTR they were like huh, who's that? Why, then, is everybody so happy that Del Toro is doing The Hobbit? What's so great about him?
Old 04-30-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of Del Toro's work, I'd say Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone are the standouts and I'm sure everyone's hoping he wears that directing hat over the others.

I think one of the reasons many are enthusiastic about Del Toro is that he's one of the handful of "geek directors". Like PJ, he has a pretty loyal fanbase. And it's not without reason. His films are always great looking, even if his comic book films aren't the best films out there (I do have a soft spot for Blade II though). And he seems to be pretty good with fans. He's made at least two or three great movies (Cronos is no slouch either), so it shows he's able to do something great when he removes himself from comic book movies. I think Pan's Labyrinth shows he's quite adept at the fantasy genre and he's proven to be rather deeply rooted in mythology and fairy tales. His stuff does seem to be darker than PJ's, but I don't think he'll have any trouble lightening up. Despite his films, he comes off as a rather funny and down to earth guy.
Old 04-30-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whoopdido
What am I missing about Del Toro. I'll admit that I don't know much, if anything about him, but the only movies of his I've even heard of are Mimic, Blade 2, Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth. Forgive me for not being up to date on his prior "non-English" movies, but personally I thought Mimic, all the Blade movies and Hellboy were complete junk. I've never seen Pan's Labyrinth so I can't comment on that.

He seems a lot like Peter Jackson before LOTR came out. Jackson made a couple movies that weren't all that great, but before LOTR came out most people still hadn't heard of him or at the very least didn't know much about him. When most people heard he was doing LOTR they were like huh, who's that? Why, then, is everybody so happy that Del Toro is doing The Hobbit? What's so great about him?
You should watch Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone. That's going to tell you a lot about why people are excited about him. If you've only seen his American studio movies, you are missing the bigger picture.
Old 04-30-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should watch Pan's Labyrinth. I was intrigued when I first heard about it, but if I remember correctly it was a box office dud and wasn't overly well received by critics. I could be wrong about the critics but for whatever reason I just never got around to watching it and I suppose since it kinda flopped at the box office I didn't hear much about it since it got swept under the rug.

The Hobbit is a so much simpler story than LOTR so I just don't know if it's necessary to have such a "visionary" direct it. I'm not saying Michael Bay should do it, but the whole feel of the story is entirely different from LOTR so to me it doesn't seem like it needs "a certain kind of director" ya know.
Old 04-30-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
I should watch Pan's Labyrinth. I was intrigued when I first heard about it, but if I remember correctly it was a box office dud and wasn't overly well received by critics. .

Its at 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 98 at Metacritic, It also picked up 3 Oscars

Its a great movie, You should watch it!
Old 04-30-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Its at 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 98 at Metacritic, It also picked up 3 Oscars

Its a great movie, You should watch it!

Oops. Forget I said that it wasn't well received. Ha ha.
Old 04-30-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good to hear that Ian McKellen is on board to play Gandalf again.
Old 05-23-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Peter Jackson and Del Toro are hosting a chat with fans:

Chat about THE HOBBIT with Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro live on May 24 (May 25 in Australia/NZ).

With the beginning of pre-production on The Hobbit in sight, Executive Producer Peter Jackson and Director Guillermo del Toro will answer fan questions during a one hour live web chat.

Fans with an interest in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings should visit http://www.wetanz.com/party/ to submit questions in advance. Peter and Guillermo will select and answer the 20 most common questions.

To register for the live chat, visit http://www.wetanz.com/party/register/.
Old 05-24-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
How come the title of the thread is still incorrect?
Old 05-24-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I dunno, but I hope Jackson is a better director than Keanu Reeves was as star of Speed Racer.
Old 05-25-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Old 05-25-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I dunno, but I hope Jackson is a better director than Keanu Reeves was as star of Speed Racer.
Old 06-06-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rumor:

James McAvoy to be Bilbo Baggins:

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/a..._james_mcavoy/

James McAvoy is set to play Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'.

more stories like thisFilm bosses are rumoured to be close to signing McAvoy - who played the faun Mr. Tumnus in 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe' - to play the fantasy hero in the big screen adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's book.

An insider said: "A number of names have privately been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black but James is the one the film's bosses really want. They're expected to have talks with him soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future."

Director Guillermo del Toro has refused to comment on the rumours, only saying: "I can tell you it's down to a few names that we all agree upon. For our first choice we all said the same name, it was completely magical."

'The Hobbit' is the prequel to the 'Lord Of The Rings' trilogy.

In the recent movies directed by Peter Jackson, Baggins was played by Ian Holm.

The latest movie is being produced by Jackson, whose interpretation of the original novels won critical acclaim and a host of Oscars.

more stories like this
He does look like a hobbit.
Old 06-06-08, 09:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Seems like a good choice to me. Certainly better than Daniel Radcliffe or Jack Black.
Old 06-06-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems like a good choice to me. Certainly better than Daniel Radcliffe or Jack Black.

definately has some fantasy cred with Mr Tumnus.
Old 06-06-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
jack black would be awesome. awesome as in so terrible its actually funny
Old 06-06-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I think the word you're looking for in that case is the oft mocked "gnarly"
Old 06-06-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

James McAvoy would rock as Bilbo Baggins. I certainly hope that comes to pass (can we also go back in time, throw out Elijah, and cast McAvoy as Frodo?).

Jack Black as Bilbo would be a tragedy to end all tragedies.
Old 06-06-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts
But Tenacious D could do the soundtrack!

McAvoy sounds like a good choice to me.
Old 06-06-08, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It should have been Martin Freeman.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-06-08 at 03:38 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.