Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office Chatter 6/27-7/1 (McClane vs Rats)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office Chatter 6/27-7/1 (McClane vs Rats)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Ratatouille will pick up on word of mouth alone (or at least not drop significantly).

Also, I feel a movie "drop" in expected BO is an answer to the previous movie - as in Ratatouille is an answer to Cars being a bit of a disappointment (for a Pixar movie that is), and Cars opening huge as an answer to Incredibles being so well received. And trust me Wall-E will be huge due to Ratatoille's greatness.
Old 07-02-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm glad Cars did so horrible worldwide.
Old 07-02-07, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
you are right, Ratatouille will make way more the a 100 million. Pixar flicks make a lot of money

Cars worldwide: 461,981,126
Nemo: 864,625,978
toy story: 361,958,736
toy story 2: 485,015,179
Incredibles: 631,436,092
Monsters INc: 525,366,597

Over the years they will be profiting over the deal, plus the DVD sales etc are huge would put this movies much higher.

misterchimpy why would they be questing if buying pixar wasnt worth it? its not like there movies are gonna make 7 billion right away, over time they will. Pixar movies are always big hits and usually always win best animated picture too. Dont understand your thinking misterchimpy
There was a lot of speculation at the time of the deal that Disney panicked because their own animated films had been bombing. So some people thought they paid too much for a studio whose most profitable movies were behind them. Remember when Pixar first appeared they were virtually alone in the CGI business, they did great movies as well, but now there are 5-10 CGI kids movies/year, with many more to come. And kids grow up faster, play more video games, etc.

Another way to think about it, if Disney had borrowed the money to buy Pixar, the $7 billion would cost 6% or so a year in interest, or $420 million/year. Yes they make money off of the film library, merchandise etc, but that number was maybe $100 mm pretax at most(and Disney already owned 50% of the films done before the deal anyway), because they only had 6 or 7 titles in the library at the time. So the return is still pretty dependent on how current releases do.

Don't confuse the box office take, btw, with how much money a studio earns on a film. I agree that even $300 mm worldwide is a nice box office number. But again, you have to take out the theater's cut, production costs, prints, advertising, etc. And yes, there will be DVD sales, video games, but probably not too much merchandise(stuffed rats not too popular, lol--i didn't see McDonald's do a promotion!).

There is no doubt that this movie, while profitable, will be substantially less profitable than Finding Nemo or even the Incredibles. And that's the point, this is the first movie under Disney ownership and the return is going to be nowhere near the return that Pixar made historically.

Maybe there will be other movies down the road that do better, but maybe not. To your point, Pixar used to be a virtual lock to win Best Animated Feature oscar, yet in the last 2 years, someone else won(Wallace and Gromit + Happy Feet). They will probably win this year(who knows about Bee Season), but they are clearly no longer the only game in town.

So if you were a Disney shareholder, you might be pissed that they diluted their earnings by issuing $7 billion in stock for a studio whose highly reviewed yearly release might 'only' earn $100 mm in profit when all is said and done. At the end of the day, returns on investments drive the movie business just like any other business...
Old 07-02-07, 12:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Ratatouille will pick up on word of mouth alone (or at least not drop significantly).

Also, I feel a movie "drop" in expected BO is an answer to the previous movie - as in Ratatouille is an answer to Cars being a bit of a disappointment (for a Pixar movie that is), and Cars opening huge as an answer to Incredibles being so well received. And trust me Wall-E will be huge due to Ratatoille's greatness.
'The Wall-E' trailer didn't impress me in the slightest.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I agree. It was definately Pixar's weakest.
Old 07-02-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I remember when Cars came out it had a disappointing B.O. performance, bad enough it actually hurt Disney's stock.

I'm guessing Disney is probably more concerned about today's pipe bombings.
Old 07-02-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giles
'The Wall-E' trailer didn't impress me in the slightest.
There was a trailer? I remember seeing some chubby white guys talking about how great their older movies were, but that's about it.
Old 07-02-07, 12:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
There was a trailer? I remember seeing some chubby white guys talking about how great their older movies were, but that's about it.
yeah that's the problem right there...

oh pardon me, "teaser" not trailer.
Old 07-02-07, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by slop101

I think it will hold up reasonably well, but I am in the minority here thinking that Transformers and Harry Potter are going to have a negative impact. I think Transformers especially could hurt it, the demographic goes head to head with Rat, and it too, is getting good reviews. So if it can survive the onslaught, then the schedule is clear for 2 weeks after Harry Potter, but I dunno, that's 3 weeks from now, which is almost forever these days at the multiplex...
Old 07-02-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Its possible, but there will be benefits from sold out showings.

Plus word has it this is easily the least entertaining Harry Potter film.
Old 07-02-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why are you showing so much hate towards Pixar? If you aren't a fan, that's fine, but, there's no need to be rude.
Old 07-02-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Why are you showing so much hate towards Pixar? If you aren't a fan, that's fine, but, there's no need to be rude.
What hate towards Pixar? I hate Cars and the shitty first half of the Wall-E teaser. Aside from Cars, I've seen every single one of their films.
Old 07-02-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not. I actually preferred Cars to Nemo
Old 07-02-07, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Its possible, but there will be benefits from sold out showings.

Plus word has it this is easily the least entertaining Harry Potter film.
Yeah I just read the Hollywood Reporter review on RT, yeesh.
Although some of the other reviews weren't quite as negative, but they didn't exactly come off as ringing endorsements.
Old 07-02-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What hate towards Pixar? I hate Cars and the shitty first half of the Wall-E teaser. Aside from Cars, I've seen every single one of their films.
How can you hate a movie you've never seen?
Old 07-02-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
How can you hate a movie you've never seen?
I'm sure The Bus prejudices like all the rest of us, and it's quite simple, really -- all you need to do is not even give it a chance, henchforth basing an overtly negative opinion on it on either speculation or word of mouth alone, and then go nuts touting how much hatred you have for it all over the interweb.

I can't even wait till I get the chance to sit down and write my review of Silence (2008) because I've got so much shittiness about it to write I think I'm going to explode
Old 07-02-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can even understand being unsure about Cars before seeing it. I don't have much interest in cars or Nascar and the trailer didn't blow me away so I too was skeptical about how good Cars was going to turn out.

But,given Pixar's track record, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I ended up liking the movie alot.
Old 07-02-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I can't even wait till I get the chance to sit down and write my review of Silence (2008) because I've got so much shittiness about it to write I think I'm going to explode
Marty and his damn remakes! Awful AWFUL AWFUL! That movie will be HORRIBLE!

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I can even understand being unsure about Cars before seeing it. I don't have much interest in cars or Nascar and the trailer didn't blow me away so I too was skeptical about how good Cars was going to turn out.

But,given Pixar's track record, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I ended up liking the movie alot.
The Bus didn't slam Wall-E or any other Pixar movie that isn't Cars. He said he hated Cars (understandable) and didn't like the first half of the Wall-E trailer (which was a weak attempt at associating it with the Pixar classics)... I don't get how he's being prejudice against anything.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-02-07 at 05:50 PM.