Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Critic JOEL SIEGEL R.I.P. 1943-2007 (w/ a GREAT personal story)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about other cities but here in the Tri-State area on ABC Channel 7; movie critic Joel Siegel has been a staple for years. Plus I am sure many of you out of the NYC Tri-State area have seen his name on countless movie ads and one-sheets over the years. The always fair and never harsh critic passed away today at the age of 63 after a long bout with colon cancer. Always waiting for his reviews on GOOD MORNING AMERICA on Friday mornings since Junior High, the news really broke my heart. But there is also a story behind it.

It is not often that you get to get to meet anyone of any type of fame but back in 2001 on a chilly day in NYC; the city still gripped in fear over the 9/11attacks--I was waiting on the screening line for TRAINING DAY along w/ dozens of other critics. Until last year, I freelanced writing movie reviews for New Jersey's largest entertainment magazine.

While waiting for my father who worked in NYC at the time, a man walked past me. I don't know what it was but for some reason; I recognized him. I asked the guy in front of me to hold my place in line while I threw my writer's bag over my shoulder as the man was halfway down the block already. I caught up to him as the October wind whipped my face and turned my cheeks red. Immediately, I said, "Excuse me, Mr. Simon?" He turned around, it was Neil Simon. THE Neil Simon--looking just like any other New Yorker carrying just a notebook. I don't know how I had recognized him, I honestly don't. I immediately went into a true story about a quote I had read by him the week before in ROLLING STONE at some Barnes & Noble. In traditional Borscht Belt humor, we engaged in a quick witted repartee that I will never forget. Being a fledgling stand-up comic; this was the closest I ever had to an out-of-body experience. He said, "I said that?" "You said that," I said. We went back and forth for two minutes; finally he relented and said, "Well I guess I said it then." I shook his hand and told him what an amazing influence his work has been for me. I sat there starstruck. I mean Neil F'in Simon walking the streets of his beloved metropolis!! I walked back to the movie theater line; more like floated and lit up a cigarette as I was on a high that can only come from shaking the hand of an icon.

My Dad arrived and we were let into the theater. (BTW, there is nothing like seeing a movie far in advance of its release for free.) So as my Dad and I checked in and found our seats, the theater started filling up. My Dad, born and bred in Brooklyn, a big guy, almost 6' 2" w/ a bad leg/knee from his days of playing basketball on the legendary courts of Crown Heights & Brighton Beach all of a sudden let out a big "OWWW!!" Who was sitting in front of us but the media whore STAR JONES. This is when she was LARGE and THE VIEW had only been on a short while. I told my Dad who it was and I said to myself, "What the hell, I'll ask her for an autograph. It will make for good bar conversation at the comedy clubs." I politely said, "Excuse me, Ms. Jones? May I have your autograph?" She was practically inhaling her popcorn and went into one of her signature diatribes. "Can't you see that I'm gettin' ready for the movie like everyone else?" She said a couple of other things but at that point I was just like, "WHAT A BITCH!!" A few minutes later she put her hand back and SNAPPED while grabbing my notebook out of my hand and writing her name. Sarcastically, my Dad and I gushingly sarcastically thanked her.

The lights were going down. I'm still on my Neil Simon high. My Dad is in pain from Star's giant ass rocking back & forth into his bad knee. To my right was one open seat--virtually the only open seat in the theater. Who sits down, obviously in a rush to not missing anything but my favorite movie critic JOEL SIEGEL. The only critic besides SISKEL & EBERT I ever listened. One of the reason's I wanted to become a movie reviewer--b/c on GMA, he made it seem like the greatest & easiest job in the world. I sat there stunned as I had my Dad to my left and Joel Siegel to my right. I quickly introduced myself and we shook hands and I told him who I wrote for, etc. The lights went down and the movie started.

Being the boy scout career wise I am, I always carried copies of my resume in my bag just in case there was some chance for advancement. The movie as you all know was pretty intense w/ an Oscar winning performance. As the lights came up, I made sure that I kept up w/ Mr. Siegel. I was in step w/ him as the lights were coming up and he said, "So Jarrett, what did you think of the movie?" Taken aback, I stuttered for a second and said that I thought it was a terrific movie and that Denzel's character was such a departure for him and that it might even garner him an Oscar nod (I swear!). We continued our discussion in the lobby, introduced him to my Dad. Then I said to myself, "You gotta take a chance here." I said, "Mr. Siegel, I have been such a huge fan for years. So if you ever need an assistant or anything, here is a copy of my resume." He gladly took it and I could tell he was impressed w/ my moxie. He shook our hands and gave us a friendly goodbye like he had known us for years.

What a day right? I never heard from Mr. Siegel's office but he continued to do great work. I always felt that he was partial to giving more good reviews than bad b/c he knew how much work goes into any piece of celluloid that came out in theaters--no matter how bad the final product. He respected cinema that much. It was almost as if he didn't want to insult the filmmakers, directors, actors, etc. by saying the movie was awful--he had too much reverence for the movies. I haven't told this story for a long time and it saddens me that I have to tell it today for the worst reasons. My heart goes out to his wife & son that survives him. I will never forget that day b/c Mr. Siegel didn't shun me off like some rookie cub columnist. He took the time to talk to me, to hear my opinions and even give me some suggestions career wise. It was like Mickey Mantle talking to some bush league rookie. The fact of the matter was he took the time to talk to me and knew that if I was writing about movies; then I must love movies. And he loved movies too; and that meant we were equals--if even for a few minutes....

You will be missed Mr. Siegel.

My Condolences,

-Dorfler/Jarrett Kruse
www.sceneinteractive.com
Just type in my name under Actors/Comedians to see an old stand-up show.
Old 07-02-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, great story and all but...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505048
Old 07-02-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
That's a great story...thanks for sharing it.

I too enjoyed watching him every Friday on GMA. He was always in a great mood and made his job sound like it was the greatest in the world. He will be missed...