Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983 D: Marquand) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Williams

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 03:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
It is more than the close up, when the death star is first firing the shots of it inside the death star( I believe after the imperial says "fire) are all from ANH.
Old 06-08-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
It is more than the close up, when the death star is first firing the shots of it inside the death star( I believe after the imperial says "fire) are all from ANH.

If you want to bash the series for using stock footage, look at ESB SE. Most of the shots of Vader returning to his Star Destroyer are just alternate/flipped angles from his approach to the Death Star in ROTJ.
Old 06-08-06, 04:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr

If you want to bash the series for using stock footage, look at ESB SE. Most of the shots of Vader returning to his Star Destroyer are just alternate/flipped angles from his approach to the Death Star in ROTJ.

I'm not talking about the special editions, I am talking about the 1983 release. I am not saying that I don't like Jedi- I actually enjoy every film in the saga, it is just my least favorite of the six. Outside of ANH and Empire, each of the films had both positives and negatives.
Old 06-08-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Newsflash, it was green/bluescreen back then too. Actually, if they did it nowadays, they might be able to digitally repaint Luke's glove on the proper hand. It keeps switching hands.
I know, perhaps I meant to say that nowadays the whole scene might be CGI. When they filmed the scene were Anakin is a bike scene on the way to save his mother they didn't even bother to build a whole bike! At least they had actual props back then.
Old 06-09-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FRwL
-Boba Fett. When the subject of Mr. Fett is brought up, his death is the immediate digress, forgetting one thing. This is the only film where we see more than just his blaster at use, a wide spectrum of gadgetry he utilizes like the jet-boosters, grapple hook, wrist blasters, simply cool array of toys. Sure he gets offed abruptly (at least he doesn't have a cheesy moment)...
I have to disagree. I would argue that most of Fett's appearance in Jedi constitutes a cheesy moment. Here we go:

1. Yes, he does use a "cool array" of all that neat stuff attached to his armor: wrist blasters, jetpack, etc-- but it seemed as though the producers thought, "Well, he'll be dead in this scene, so before he dies, let's let him use EVERYTHING he has within a few minutes before he kicks it. I actually think it would've been cool to have none of that stuff used on screen... let it remain a mystery (but way too subtle a point for the Jedi filmmakers).

(and no points for originality with use of the grappling hook; Boba Fett used it on Luke in the animated 1978 Holiday Special in the same exact way)

2. Fett's actions on ths skiff never made sense to me: one of his arch enemies, Han Solo, is blind and unarmed about 2 feet from him, and Fett chooses to ignore him, instead taking very slow, deliberate aim at Luke on the second skiff (and how conveniently slow, I might add). He could've, and would've, finished off a blind/helpless Han in a heartbeat, who was sentenced to death, anyway. Insead, he completely ignores him. Remember, he's spent the first two movies hot on his tail, and now, suddenly, he's not paying him any attention? Give me a break.

3. The way Fett died is the ulitimate in cheese. Han Solo, not even knowing where the hell Fett is (Han screaming, "BOBA Fett, BOBA Fett, where?"), before accidentally sending the most badass OT Star Wars character headfirst into the side of the barge, screaming, arms flailing, in an embarrassing display if misplaced slapstick.

4. After he falls into the Sarlaac pit, the whole ridiculous scene ends with a burp from within the pit (Haha! The armor must've been hard to digest! Funny stuff! )
Old 06-09-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what I want to know?? What the hell was Fett doing there in the first place, or in A New Hope for that matter? Jabba employed Boba as a bounty hunter to hunt down Han for the price that was on his head. In A New Hope, Jabba hadn't yet come to that breaking point with Han yet where he decided to put a price on his head for the bounty hunters to claim. And in Jedi, clearly Boba completed his task and was probably paid handsomely. So why is he just hanging around Jabba's palace? He's a BOUNTY HUNTER and belongs to NOBODY. That's part of his mystique. When you think about it, the only thing that makes sense about Boba's appearances in A New Hope and ROTJ is because Lucas realized that the character turned into a cash cow and wanted to milk it for all it was worth. And that, true fans, is the real and only reason we have Boba in those movies outside Empire Strikes Back.
Old 06-09-06, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Even bounty hunters have downtime. Jabba probably treats Boba pretty well, with all those slaves he has.
Old 06-09-06, 09:38 PM

Oh my God, the Boba Fett super dorks have come out...run away!
Old 06-09-06, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave7393
3. The way Fett died is the ulitimate in cheese. Han Solo, not even knowing where the hell Fett is (Han screaming, "BOBA Fett, BOBA Fett, where?"), before accidentally sending the most badass OT Star Wars character headfirst into the side of the barge, screaming, arms flailing, in an embarrassing display if misplaced slapstick.
I personally think Vader was the most badass OT Star Wars Character. Fett may have had the most mystery (Prior to the prequels) surrounding him, but the most bad ass? Never.
Old 06-09-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
I personally think Vader was the most badass OT Star Wars Character. Fett may have had the most mystery (Prior to the prequels) surrounding him, but the most bad ass? Never.
That's a matter of opinion-- but sending him off to his death, screaming and waving his arms like a little girl after his jet pack gets bumped, was embarrassing to watch (I cringed, even when I was 10).
Old 06-09-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Oh my God, the Boba Fett super dorks have come out...run away!
Hilarious that you brought up the "super dork" comment with a handle like "Egon's Ghost," since super dork Egon was involved in so many cool pasttimes himself, such as collecting "spores, molds, and fungus."

Last edited by Dave7393; 06-09-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 10:42 PM
Banned

That's a matter of opinion-- but sending him off to his death, screaming and waving his arms like a little girl after his jet pack gets bumped, was embarrassing to watch (I cringed, even when I was 10).
How is Fett more badass then Vader? He looks cooler? I mean come on, especially after the prequels, Fett is nothing more than a glorified Storm Trooper (with great tracking skills). Vader could wipe his ass with Fett. I thought Fett was cool when I was little too. If you are old enough to have seen all of the originals in the theater when they were first released, who did you have the bigger reaction to very first time you saw them on screen? Vader or Fett? I definately had the bigger reaction to Vader. Fett was my favorite action figure though.
Old 06-09-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
How is Fett more badass then Vader? He looks cooler? I mean come on, especially after the prequels, Fett is nothing more than a glorified Storm Trooper (with great tracking skills). Vader could wipe his ass with Fett. I thought Fett was cool when I was little too.
What, you're genuinely annoyed that I have a different opinion? You're taking this a bit too seriously, me thinks.
Old 06-09-06, 10:51 PM
Banned

What, you're genuinely annoyed that I have a different opinion? You're taking this a bit to seriously, me thinks.
No, no, no. Not at all. I would just like to see why you think Fett is more badass then Vader.
Old 06-11-06, 02:57 PM

Hilarious that you brought up the "super dork" comment with a handle like "Egon's Ghost," since super dork Egon was involved in so many cool pasttimes himself, such as collecting "spores, molds, and fungus."
You got me!
Old 06-11-06, 07:06 PM
En vacance

2. Fett's actions on ths skiff never made sense to me: one of his arch enemies, Han Solo, is blind and unarmed about 2 feet from him, and Fett chooses to ignore him, instead taking very slow, deliberate aim at Luke on the second skiff (and how conveniently slow, I might add). He could've, and would've, finished off a blind/helpless Han in a heartbeat, who was sentenced to death, anyway. Insead, he completely ignores him. Remember, he's spent the first two movies hot on his tail, and now, suddenly, he's not paying him any attention? Give me a break.
This is actually much deeper. It's actually one of the more fleshed out insights into Fett's character. Fett died because of his ego and also his honorable code. Luke was leading the escape and Fett landed on one of the skiffs, he didn't go after blind helpless Han but after the confident and daring Luke since this is the best bounty hunter in the galaxy and as a true hunter he goes after the stronger enemies, the more respectable enemy, not to mention his ego got in the way too since he was just dropped to the ground by a Jedi, infuriated, he pretty much only had him on his mind. And as a strike of luck his oldest archenemy and rival Han didn't square off with him in some final duel, but got accidentally knocked off unbeknownst to either Fett or Han, perfect oddity.

As for the pit, i heard George had planned to make a scene where he escapes the pit after Jabba was dead and the others were gone, but he decided that it would draw away from the momentum (and kill it) of all that had just happened. Kind of like how there's a cut of Vader flying off at the end of Wars.
Old 06-11-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
1) Carrie Fisher's lazy performance - Yes, I know she was coked up the entire time, but it doesn't change the fact that she was terrible in this movie.
Was she really coked up? Or is this just some internet geek making up shit?

And for the love of God, don't compare X-Men 3 and ROTJ. Are we really reaching this level of stupidity? ROTJ is leaps, bounds, lightyears (lame pun) ahead of X3.

Now if you want to compare Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones with X3, that sounds about right.
Old 06-11-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts
The notion that the Ewoks are the sole reason some don't like Return Of The Jedi is like saying the Civil War was about slavery. Yah, it's the generally accepted, easy answer, but barely even scratches the surface. For the record, I don't mind the Ewoks in theory, but the execution (read: bad comedy) left little to be desired. My major complaints with Jedi are as follows:

-rehashing the Death Star
O.K., the Death Star was always intended to be in the 3rd movie, but they put it in the first one as well. Well that's all well and good, but the fact remains that they did use it in Star Wars and they use it again in Jedi. Been there done that. Which is ashame because I think the half completed Death Star is one of the cooler special effects in the original trilogy.

-Leia revealed to be Luke's sister
This plot twist is bad enough on its own, but the execution of it was painful. They way they acted as though Luke and Leia always knew deep down that they were related is just ridiculous. The scene where Luke is talking to Leia on Endor is as cringe worthy as almost anything in the prequels. A 5 year old could tell that this was shoehorned into the plot once Lucas decided not to do sequels. One of the things that bothered me about the prequels was all of the previous relationships that were revelaed between all the characters (Anakin/c-3p0, Yoda/Chewbacca, Boba Fett/storm troopers). It all seemd so pointless and just made the story feel much less epic. This all started with Luke/Leia as far as I'm concerned. The Luke/Vader relationship was enough and I feel its impact was diminished when the Leia thing was dropped on Luke.

-Lando
This is a very nitpicky complaint, but it always bothered me that they made Lando a General and put him in charge of the Death Star attack. Sure, let him be in the fleet, he can still have his moment of redemption, but putting him in charge just seemed stupid.

-Boba Fett
I'm by no means a Boba Fett geek, but his death pretty much sums up the fact that George Lucas should never do comedy.

-main characters no longer any fun
Luke, Han and Leia just don't seem like the characters they were in the first 2 movies. I realize characters change over time, but they just don't feel right in Jedi. What happened to Leia's feistiness? Why does Han seem like he's bored all the time? At what point did Luke become this supposed badass in black? (I think Luke/Hamill in Jedi is one of the most unconvincing heroes in film history. Right up there with Cruise in MI:2.) The dialogue and the way they interact with each other is so melodramatic, especially when they're all together on Endor. Any synergy that existed between the leads is completely gone now. Whether it's the script, the direction, or the actors themselves, I don't know, but none of it seems organic in the least bit.

-Vader
Last we saw him in Empire, Vader was killing off his own officers, double crossing Lando, torturing Han for fun, and kicking his son's ass all the while trying to convince him to team up, overthrow the Emperor, and rule the galaxy together. When we catch up with him in Jedi, he's going on about how lucky everyone is that he's more forgiving than the Emperor. He's been completely neutered. I realize "there's still good in him," but he loses any sense of threat or intimidation from the very first moment he appears on screen. I tell yah, a lot must have happened in the months between Empire and Jedi, because the characters in this movie are nothing like the ones everyone had gotten to know.

The worst part is that Empire (my favorite movie ever) is incomplete without Jedi, so I can't just ignore it. The same holds true for X3. I love X2 to death and X3 just fizzles away any forward momentum the series had going into its "climactic conclusion." They both limp to the finish line riding on the fumes of the previous films' greatness. Oh well, they're just movies right? I honestly can't think of a film trilogy in which the 3rd film wraps up the series in a way that is 100% satisfactory. (yes I'm including LotR, but that's another topic.)
Old 06-11-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I honestly can't think of a film trilogy in which the 3rd film wraps up the series in a way that is 100% satisfactory.
Hold on a minute! Return of the King picked up Best Picture!!!

... just kidding with ya
Old 06-11-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FRwL
This is actually much deeper. It's actually one of the more fleshed out insights into Fett's character. Fett died because of his ego and also his honorable code. Luke was leading the escape and Fett landed on one of the skiffs, he didn't go after blind helpless Han but after the confident and daring Luke since this is the best bounty hunter in the galaxy and as a true hunter he goes after the stronger enemies, the more respectable enemy, not to mention his ego got in the way too since he was just dropped to the ground by a Jedi, infuriated, he pretty much only had him on his mind. And as a strike of luck his oldest archenemy and rival Han didn't square off with him in some final duel, but got accidentally knocked off unbeknownst to either Fett or Han, perfect oddity.
If nothing else, Fett was always incredebly keen on his surroundings-- who was there, and what the dangers were; in Empire, he found the Falcon when Vader, The Emperor, and every other member of the Imperial forces and every other bounty hunter were completely useless. He also damn hear blew Luke's head off in Cloud City, catching Luke completely offguard. And in Jedi, he rockets down to the skiff, and no sooner do his feet land on that deck does he have a cable tied around Luke-- Luke never saw him coming. That's who Fett is. But after that, it completely falls apart.

After we saw how *fast* he landed on the first skiff and fired his grappling hook, why does it look like he's now taking so much time aiming at Luke with his wrist rockets that he may as well be taking survey measurements from where he's standing? Or he could've just rocketed on over to the other skiff. Instead.. he just stands there.. taking aim... very... slowly.

And I still say ignoring Han *and Chewie* was out of character. He would've blown Chewie away in the carbon freezing chamber if Vader hadn't slapped his rifle down, even when Chewie wasn't a direct threat to him at that time. So now, as he aims v e r y s l o w l y at Luke (still a mystery), he ignores an unshackled Chewie-- definately an immediate threat, I'd argue-- who he must hear warns Han about his (Fett's) presence only feet away.

And the best bounty hunter in the galaxy's backpack can be set off by essentially bumping it with a stick? Right.

And like most of Jedi, things are played for laughs. The last we hear of Fett is a "burp." My five year old didn't even think it was funny, but like much of Jedi (the Tarzan yell, the Ewoks in general, the two burp jokes, etc), can anyone imagine such stupidity happening in Empire? Fett deserved better. Christ, I'm almost surprised there wasn't a fart joked worked in there somewhere.
Old 06-11-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
Was she really coked up? Or is this just some internet geek making up shit?

And for the love of God, don't compare X-Men 3 and ROTJ. Are we really reaching this level of stupidity? ROTJ is leaps, bounds, lightyears (lame pun) ahead of X3.
I liked X3 quite a bit better than ROTJ. For one thing, my expectations built up from X2: The Wrath Of Khan were nowhere near as high. I found the pay-off to the Phoenix storyline about commensurate with its set-up in X2- which is to say perfunctory and slight. Had she not spontanelously vaporized, out of the blue in the last few minutes of the film, would X2 substantively been any different? Singer did add some thematic substance to his movies, but X2 already resolved the majority of the 'issues' left hanging with the first film (unlike Empire which left so many balls in the air). I think X1/2 work well as a main course, with X3 being the light desert and coffee- the heavy lifting in terms of establishing themes, characters, etc was already accomplished in those first two.
Old 06-11-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
And in Jedi, clearly Boba completed his task and was probably paid handsomely. So why is he just hanging around Jabba's palace?
for the chicks

Old 06-11-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
And like most of Jedi, things are played for laughs. The last we hear of Fett is a "burp." My five year old didn't even think it was funny, but like much of Jedi (the Tarzan yell, the Ewoks in general, the two burp jokes, etc), can anyone imagine such stupidity happening in Empire? Fett deserved better. Christ, I'm almost surprised there wasn't a fart joked worked in there somewhere.

Read Tales of the Bounty Hunter/Tales from Jabba's Palace and you'll see that Fett got the best of the Sarlacc eventually. Before you start railing against the books/EU let me say that they were written for people like you who enjoy certain characters and want to get more of them and might have seen certain things in the movies as unsatisfactory. If you do like the EU (or some of it, as there is quite a bit of crappy stuff in there), then please ignore the past sentence.
Old 06-11-06, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Jedi was mainly critisized due to the Ewoks....Thanks to the crappy three prequels, I love the ewoks now and has made Jedi look even better and not dated...
So true. Ewoks and all I thoguht Jedi was a good film. I much prefer Ewoks to the equivalent in the prequel films.
Old 06-12-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing pisses me off more than the the costume/mask of Lando's co-pilot and the Tatooine "concert" scenes in Jabba's lair. They make me cringe more than any number of Ewoks or Gungans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.