Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 04:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

unless there is a kick ass trailer that exceeds all expectations, this movie will tank. for which I say, yay!
Old 12-19-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It's going to flop. No one is excited about it, and it has about half the negative online impression that Trank's Fantastic Four did.
Yeah, but only from vocal Ghostbusters fans. I don't think that will affect the audience that will watch Wiig and McCarthy. Even McCarthy's shitty movie Tammy made $84 million!
Old 12-30-15, 07:25 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The first GHOSTBUSTERS trailer is expected to drop sooner than later, but until then this new image (courtesy of EW) featuring the film's leading ladies (Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon) will have to do.

EW also has new details on the ghosts the foursome will be busting, and the site is claiming that "Dead criminals from all eras of New York’s underbelly past have returned to roost among the living in Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters reboot," such as "Pilgrims, old-timey sailors, Revolutionary War spirits, and even a couple of zoot-suited gangsters."
Old 12-30-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pilgrims, old-timey sailors, Revolutionary War spirits, and even a couple of zoot-suited gangsters.
Come on! Seriously? This sounds like a "Scary Movie" version of Ghostbusters.
Old 12-30-15, 12:49 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know what that kinda looks like, and I'm pretty sure that's not what they wanted it to look like.
Doesn't look like a spatula to me?
Old 12-30-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Come on! Seriously? This sounds like a "Scary Movie" version of Ghostbusters.
Yeah, that stuff is completely silly compared to Cheech Marin watching the Titanic come in and the Ghostbusters making the Statue of Liberty walk with pink slime and a Nintendo game pad.
Old 12-30-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Yeah, that stuff is completely silly compared to Cheech Marin watching the Titanic come in and the Ghostbusters making the Statue of Liberty walk with pink slime and a Nintendo game pad.
This movie doesn't respect the sacred ghosts of the originals, like the one who eats a lot of hot dogs, the electric chair twins and the blow job ghost!
Old 12-30-15, 02:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Exactly. Seems people are forgetting the jokes and/or silly moments from the first two films.
Old 12-30-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Titanic wasn't a villain, it was just a site gag. As for the Nintento game pad, pop culture?
Old 12-30-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't see an issue with the description of the ghosts. That's actually the type of thing i'd expect and want to see in this movie. It's everything else that I'm extremely skeptical about
Old 01-08-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 01-08-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Coming to a clearance rack near you!
Old 01-08-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NIce. Can't wait for this flick.
Old 01-08-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
NIce. Can't wait for this flick.
Really? Because I could hold out another 10 or 15 years.
Old 01-08-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, we know already.
Old 01-08-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

If this movie is anything but a flop I will be stunned. I just don't get who wants this movie. Did the Bridesmaids demographic indicate they'd love to see the girls in something more supernatural?

Sorry if I'm rehashing things that have been said before - I haven't been paying much attention to this and now that I see the latest pics and figures....
Old 01-08-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Old 01-08-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Melissa McCarthy action figures for everyone!

I mentioned this in another thread, but i'm skeptical that this will flop despite all the hate and negativity. Even crappy McCarthy movies like Identity Thief or Tammy made a decent amount of money, and throwing in Wiig is probably enough to draw a lot of casual viewers.
Old 01-08-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More like the tampon rack, am I right?

Because they're a bunch of disgusting women.
Old 01-08-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I mentioned this in another thread, but i'm skeptical that this will flop despite all the hate and negativity. Even crappy McCarthy movies like Identity Thief or Tammy made a decent amount of money, and throwing in Wiig is probably enough to draw a lot of casual viewers.
Anyone know the budget?

This won't be a flop; not even close. Will it do blockbuster numbers? Probably not, but I guarantee America (read: Joe Six Pack and fam) will make this a big hit. Big enough to guarantee a sequel.

I'd love to be wrong, but this is the most likely outcome.
Old 01-08-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Anyone know the budget?

This won't be a flop; not even close. Will it do blockbuster numbers? Probably not, but I guarantee America (read: Joe Six Pack and fam) will make this a big hit. Big enough to guarantee a sequel.

I agree. Joe Sixpack simply isn't sophisticated enough to recognize that females are inherently unfunny,
Old 01-08-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Anyone know the budget?

Last I saw the budget was around $150 million. With about 20+ of that going to McCarthy and Feig.

It won't flop - I think it'll end up being a perfectly fine movie and successful enough to warrant a sequel.
Old 01-08-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I agree. Joe Sixpack simply isn't sophisticated enough to recognize that females are inherently unfunny,
Not labeling all females, but Melissa McCarthy sure as hell isn't funny. She actually might not be that bad of an actress but she suffers from the same issues as Adam Sandler or Vince Vaughn (though both of them at least attempted to branch out) in playing the same type of character and the act is so old and played out.

OTOH, from what I've seen Kristen Wiig isn't bad and I am interested in Kate McKinnon's character.
Old 01-08-16, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

McCarthy was slimmed up a bit to what she is during filming. Also the Jones Figure looks a bit smaller than what she is compared to the rest. She looks really fucking tall compared to the other women.

I'm sure this'll do fine. If not really good. Feig knows how to sell a film to JSP.

I'll watch it if it gets good WoM but don't really care to see it. McKinnon looks cool though. So that's the most interest I have for it. She's damn near fucking hot w/ that look for me.
Old 01-08-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think she's extremely talented. Her Oscar nod for Bridedmaids was absolutely deserved and I think you could make a good case for that performance being the comedic performance of the decade.

I think the overwhelming majority of these Gamergate misogynists only want a woman in their comedy if they're nice to look at, and as a heterosexual male I'd still rather see McCarthy being hilarious with zero regard for being attractive than see a marginally-talented but attractive piece of eye candy like Olivia Munn included for no reason but to inevitably appear in a scene in her underwear. And we all know there would be zero problem with that. Just so long as she left the real comedy to the boys.

So yeah, I wouldn't put my dick anywhere near McCarthy but that's a non-issue. She's funny as fuck, misogynst internet nerds be damned.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.