Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's new film: INLAND EMPIRE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Lynch's new film: INLAND EMPIRE

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Bell is a good singer and sexy as hell. She performed on Austin City Limits, back when she was with 8 1/2 Souvenirs, and it was one of the hottest performances I've ever seen.

Old 08-18-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Teaser poster:

Old 08-18-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from dark horizons:

"Inland Empire" Eyewitness Report
Posted: Tuesday August 16th, 2005 2:12pm
Source: Dark Horizons
Author: Garth Franklin

'ME' just completed two days as a featured extra on the new film, "Inland Empire" directed by David Lynch and starring Harry Dean Stanton, Laura Dern and newcomer Terryn Westbrook. Here's his full report:

"The film has been filming since 2003, at which time my sister-in-law was an extra. Having taken off time from work to have a baby, she only did the couple of days In Dec '03 when Lynch shot for several days just out of LA (most of the film was shot in Poland) and did no more. When the opportunity arose for extras again - she declined, but I decided to look into it. What do you know? I got two days work.

I didn't get the script, we were only given a BREAKDOWN of our scene, and that's all. Lynch said very LITTLE to us on both days. The DP was more sociable, and the casting director was lovely. What I can gather is that it's a Twin Peaks-like mystery about a woman that dissapears near the San Gab mountains.

We did auditorium scenes - crowd, typical red-robed curtains behind lounge act - which went over three days, though I was only available for two. The task was to basically sit, in awe, of the performance in stage - played, comically - though I'm assuming my smile will be overshadowed by my look of awe. Not that you'll see my in the finished cut, I'm row P - right-back, near entrance. It's a REALLY dark theatre (though not theatre, just a set near San Gabriel mountains here) too.

We do hear music BUT it's not coming from the singer's mouth. She lip-synches, and I believe they fix it all later - - - or something. I didn't recognize the singer/actress. An older man was there directing ? her music.

The film was shot on Digital Video, so I imagine it's going to look VERY cool. It's an experimental film for Lynch, so it is hard to say how it will go (and at one stage I believe it was going to be made for DavidLynch.com only), but it will be interesting to see the finished product - no less.

Laura Dern was on the set on the second day, I think she's going to be playing a role in the film too - maybe even a starring one? - and Kyle MacLachlan (barely recognizable, because of his SILVER hair!) turned up too late afternoon on the Thursday.

The DP, who I'd met at lunch on the Wed and talked to a group of us (he was GREAT!) said David and Kyle are thinking about doing some "Dale Cooper" telemovies - the dude he played on TV. Nothing to do with Twin Peaks, I guess, just that character."
Old 07-31-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from dugpa.com:

INLAND EMPIRE NEWS
It seems that we have some news from the Venice Film Festival Website. INLAND EMPIRE will be 168 minutes long. There is also an article up on NOW Playing.com where Justin Theroux drops some details about the film. No word yet on an official release date.

I love Lynch's movies but this flick better be damn good to support a 168 minute run time.
Old 07-31-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
This flew under my radar...I hadn't heard about it until just now.

I'm always up for a David Lynch film. He's the only filmmaker that confuses the hell out of me yet keeps me captivated and fascinated at the same time.
Old 08-07-06, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here - can't wait to see the film.
And yes Chrysta Bell is gorgeous and a great singer - I also saw her on Austin City limits years ago and been looking for a recording of it ever since

If anyone has a recording IM me!
Old 08-07-06, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
168 minutes long! Damn!

I saw Mulholland Drive 5 times when it came out. Lynch has been one of my favorite filmmakers for as long as I can remember. He's the last true surrealist in cinema. I cannot wait for this one.
Old 08-29-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from Indiewire:

A Polish woman looks, intently, into someone or something ... an actress (Laura Dern) is warned that her new movie is cursed ... a rabbit-headed family perform sit-com actions on a stage set as if engaged in a solemn ritual ... Such are just a few of the elements and recurrent motifs of The Inland Empire, a mesmerizing surge through countless looking glasses that lands us on the far side of the land of nightmares. Lynch's first foray into high-definition video is just as visually stunning as his work in 35mm, but the long gestation period of his new film (he shot on and off over two years, and wrote as he went) has allowed him to give his own uniquely epic form to many of his primary concerns: the exploitation of young women, the mutability of identity, the omnivorousness of Hollywood.
Old 08-29-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Despite the fact that it wil be filled with 168 minutes of WTF? moments, I'm so there. I enjoy how I still get lost in his films. He remains one of most unique filmmakers I've encountered.
Old 08-29-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by auto
from Indiewire:
Lynch's first foray into high-definition video
It's not hi-def. But it's great to hear it looks good.
Old 08-29-06, 09:09 PM
Banned by request

When is this being released?
Old 08-31-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by auto
from Variety

Lynch invades an 'Empire'

"I'm writing as I go," he says. "I believe in the unity of things. When you have one part, and then a second part that doesn't relate to that first part, it's very curious to find that they do relate after all. It's a most beautiful thing."
Sounds like even he doesn't know what his movie is about.
Old 09-01-06, 12:35 AM
Banned by request

Like that would make a difference, anyway.
Old 09-13-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Variety Review:

Spoiler:
Inland Empire

(U.S.-France-Poland)
A StudioCanal (France) presentation of an Inland Empire Prods. (U.S.) production, in association with Camerimage 2 (Poland)/Asymmetrical Prods. (U.S.). (International sales: StudioCanal, Paris.) Produced by Mary Sweeney, David Lynch. Executive producer (Poland), Marek Zydowicz. Co-producers, Laura Dern, Jeremy Alter. Directed, written, edited by David Lynch.

Nikki/Sue - Laura Dern
Kingsley - Jeremy Irons
Freddie - Harry Dean Stanton
Devon/Billy - Justin Theroux

By JAY WEISSBERG

Laura Dern plays an actress in David Lynch's 'Inland Empire.'

Jeremy Irons is a film director in 'Inland Empire,' David Lynch's 2½-years-in-the-making mystery.

Nobody loves a mystery more than David Lynch, but the king of the unexpected is awfully predictable in what he doesn't do: He doesn't give answers, he doesn't solve anything and he doesn't try to make sense. "Inland Empire" may mesmerize those for whom the helmer can do no wrong, but the unconvinced and the occasional admirer will find it dull as dishwater and equally murky. Almost held together by Laura Dern's intense performance, the three hours pass slowly by on unattractive digital. Despite frisky international sales, even arthouses may find it difficult to keep auds in seats.
Lynch always resists attempts at interpretation; here, he defies any kind of narrative description as well. Two and a half years in the making, this is seat-of-the-pants filmmaking at its most baffling. There was never a complete script, so thesps turned up each day with a new set of lines and no idea where they were going, making Dern's central turn even more remarkable for its coherence.

Dern plays Nikki, an actress offered a role in a film directed by Kingsley (Jeremy Irons). Co-star Devon (Justin Theroux) is warned to keep things professional, since Nikki's husband (Peter J. Lucas) is fiercely possessive.

Nikki's playing Sue, Devon is Billy, and the two characters are about to launch into an affair. Early in the shoot they learn the script, based on a Polish gypsy folktale, is a remake of a movie that never got finished because the original protags were murdered.

Inevitably Nikki and Devon wind up in bed together, but, during their lovemaking, she starts calling him Billy and he starts calling her Sue. They realize they're mixing lines from the movie into their own lives.

From here on Dern's character fragments, passing through realities in a state of barely concealed terror where everyone is menacing and it becomes impossible to tell whether she's Nikki, Nikki playing Sue, or Sue herself.

But that's the easy part. There are the Poles, who are possibly the first version of the movie's story. There's Grace Zabriskie as a menacing neighbor. There's Julia Ormond's character, first seen with a screwdriver in her gut and later cropping up as Billy's wife. And, of course, there are the giant rabbits on a stage -- two on a sofa, a third ironing (voiced by Naomi Watts, Laura Harring and Scott Coffey).

It could be that these (brown) rabbits are reminders of the White Rabbit in "Alice in Wonderland," taking Alice down the hole into bizarre lands. With the strange and terrifying occurrences, the low ceilings and the non sequiturs, there's more than a whiff of a threatening Wonderland. But since the rabbits first appeared in shorts on Lynch's Web site, it may be that he simply likes the image of people dressed in rabbit outfits.

A possible explanation for Nikki's switch to Sue and back could come from Lynch's deep-seated interest in transcendental meditation and the concomitant belief in reincarnation, making the shifts a kind of transference between lives. But since Lynch believes all things are ultimately connected, and he himself didn't know what he was going to add, there may be no true explanation.

Who knows, maybe the reason a group of prostitutes start singing "The Locomotion" is because Lynch heard it on the radio the day before. Does it belong? Does it matter, since everything belongs?

The usual Lynch trademarks -- intense close-ups, monumental headshots, red curtains -- are all here, but noticeably missing are the deep, rich colors and sharp images. Instead, they're replaced by murky, shadowy DV, which may give him more freedom but robs the pic of any visual pleasure.

Lynch's own experiments with music lead to repetitious spooky sounds and tension-filled noises, repeated so often in dark corridors that they, too, fail to enhance a mood already gone awry.

Camera (color/B&W, DV), Odd-Geir Saether; art director, Christine Wilson; art director (Poland), Wojciech Wolniak; costume designers, Heidi Birens, Karen Baird; sound (Dolby Digital), Lynch; associate producers, Sabrina S. Sutherland, Erik Crary, Jay Aaseng. Reviewed at Venice Film Festival (non-competing), Sept. 6, 2006. Running time: 179 MIN.

With: Terryn Westbrook, Julia Ormond, Peter J. Lucas, Grace Zabriskie, Ian Abercrombie, Diane Ladd, William H. Macy, Karolina Gruszka, Krzysztof Majchrzak, Mary Steenburgen, Nastassja Kinski, Laura Harring.
Voices: Naomi Watts, Scott Coffey.
(English, Polish dialogue)
Old 09-13-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still can't wait! Seems like a total trip! (prepares a bunch of joints )
Old 09-14-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I dunno... I like Lynch a lot, but this sounds kind of like Lynch-by-the-numbers. Seems like a pastiche of a number of his previous films:

Spoiler:
The identity-switching of "Lost Highway"
The ingenue from "Mulholland Drive"
The riff on a children's story from "Wild at Heart"

Just reading that review makes me feel like I've already seen the movie.
Old 09-14-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Since this movie takes place within the movie business itself, it could be seen as a follow up to Mulholland Drive. Dern's character is more or less doing the same thing Watts' character was attempting, that might be a hint. Perhaps
Spoiler:
the giant rabbits are the reincarnations of Watts and Harring who must live out this new existence on a stage as punishment for the wrongs they commited in MD, that would explain their voices. It's a warning for Dern's character as to what might happen to her
I know it sounds fucked up and illogical, but it's Lynch, and for all I know it could be right!

If Lynch's next movie takes place in Hollywood as well, then I think it will be safe to assume that he is making a weird trilogy of some sort about tinseltown. He would never admit he was, but leave his fans to make the connections.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-14-06 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-14-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Rabbits (w/ Naomi Watts and Harring on his website) was so damn weird.
Old 12-08-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any hint of a release date yet? I'm gettin' might impatient here.
Old 12-08-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this month's entertainment weekly has an article that said studio canal couldn't get a distributor for the USA so Lynch is going to do it old school and do a "circuit" for it and basically distributed out of the trunk of his car. He's hoping that the profits from some of the things he will be launching like coffee bean blends, a book, a dvd set and some other stuff I can't remember will be used towards having this film shown.
Old 12-08-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's ridiculous and offensive that he has to do that. You'd think even a limited run would do well.
Old 12-08-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here is the article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1564529_1_0_,00.html

there is also a review for the film somewhere in there as well.
Old 12-08-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he'd put it on DVD and sell it on his website I'd be happy to blind-buy it.

Really I would. Honest and for true. Scout's honor.
Old 12-08-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's some release information on the film's website. Also a trailer. Real shame that he's being forced to do it this way in the states. Maybe we should have some DVDTalkers with a serious home theater set up host a weekend run .

www.inlandempirecinema.com
Old 12-08-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm the biggest Lynch fan you'll find but I dont think it’s a shame or that he's forced to self-distribute. The facts are that the film got pretty lukewarm (to be kind) festival reviews and most of the distributors who approached him asked if he could re-cut the movie (I assume they wanted both something more coherent and, mainly, shorter because it is hard to book 3 hr+ head scratchers). Its an expensive medium, and if no one wants to dump hundreds of thousands to a million dollars or more marketing a hard sell art film, I can hardly blame them.

I say this, loving all things about Lynch and creative freedom, but lets be realistic, folks. Besides, in the end, I think Lynch taking the film on the road himself just continues the experimental nature of the project. Its actually kind of fitting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.