Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halo: The Movie

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Halo: The Movie

Cinescape
Movie News
HALO Heading Towards Big Screen

Dateline: Friday, February 4, 2005

By: NEWS EDITOR
By:

In a million dollar deal, Microsoft has hired Alex "28 days Later" Garland to adapt their highly successful videogame "Halo" into script.
Once the screenplay is done it will be shopped to studios as an all in one package: script & rights.

Peter Schlessel will serve as a producer on the project.
Wonder if this will be out before Halo 3? If not, will they cut the movie off at the climax of the film?
Old 02-04-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the way the game is done it's easy to translate it to the big screen. The game is set up cinematically, so a movie would be ideal. As long has the BUNGIE is involved on some creative level I'm sure it will be fine. Now, my only problem is will it be live action or a CGI movie? For something like this I think the best route would be a CGI movie. Live action might not look as good, but live action would be something new. In essence we've seen a CGI movie of HALO already.
Old 02-04-05, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
will they cut the movie off at the climax of the film?
Seriously!! I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Halo2.
Old 02-04-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Halo 2 is the shizzle nizzle
Old 02-04-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Halo 2 still ranks as my biggest gaming disappointment of the past year.
Old 02-04-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
As long has the BUNGIE is involved on some creative level I'm sure it will be fine.
Just read on IGN that after the script stage it is all Hollywood. That is the only department they wanted to take part in.
Old 02-04-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
No. More. Video game. Movies.
Old 02-04-05, 12:14 PM
Banned

It's going to suck but if its written by the people that do Red Vs. Blue I may see it. Why does Hollywood continue making video game movies? I have yet to of seen one that was good and I had high hopes for Resident Evil.
Old 02-04-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they hire cinematic auteur Uwe Boll to direct, I'm there.
Old 02-04-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Why does Hollywood continue making video game movies? I have yet to of seen one that was good and I had high hopes for Resident Evil.
Same reason they make video games of movies, cross-marketing, the little kids love Spider-Man, they're going to go out and buy his game too. Much like you I have yet to see a video game based on a movie that was good so I guess it goes both ways.
Old 02-04-05, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I have yet to see a video game based on a movie that was good so I guess it goes both ways.
Star Wars was the only good one.
Old 02-04-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
As long as they hire cinematic auteur Uwe Boll to direct, I'm there.

I know you're kidding, but please...don't ever say that again. Just the thought of that happening makes me want to cry.
Old 02-04-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Same reason they make video games of movies, cross-marketing, the little kids love Spider-Man, they're going to go out and buy his game too. Much like you I have yet to see a video game based on a movie that was good so I guess it goes both ways.
Chronicles of Riddick

One of the top 5 games on Xbox. Period.

Or did you mean to say you have yet to see a MOVIE based on a game that was good?
Old 02-04-05, 01:55 PM

i've already seen Halo, it was called Starship Troopers
Old 02-04-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytrip
Nope, Starship Troopers is Starship Troopers, not Halo.

This could actually be pretty good. I was really hoping that Deus Ex would make the transition to the big screen, too bad it got canned. My favorite game ever.
Old 02-04-05, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Daytrip
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I missed the part where Halo was a gory, satiric take on a facist governement.

Nonetheless, I would think a CG film might be better. I'm glad Bungie is invovling itself at the script level. Not that they know anything about great screenwriting, but one of the problems a lot of video game movies have is they basically ignore the elements that, well, people want to see translated and which make them work the best.

I mean, I don't expect masterpiece cinema from this, but a good rollicking action movie perhaps. How they intend to translate Master Chief to movie form will be curious though. It would seem best to leave the character as in, where you can't see him, and he's always in the suit. But, that kind of limits the character, so you couldn't really make him the only lead character. But, if they get a decent director at the helm, it could be a fun movie. There definately are soem good elements to base a film on. The cinematic nature of the game lends itself to a movie, even if the first game took scenes directly out of Aliens.
Old 02-04-05, 04:14 PM

don't joke about Halo, the fanboys will unite.....HALO FOR LIFE YO!
Old 02-04-05, 05:46 PM
ams

Much like you I have yet to see a video game based on a movie that was good so I guess it goes both ways.
BLASPHEMER!

Old 02-04-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie would have to be something monumental for me to even consider seeing it at a dollar theater. The game needed a bit more closure and not end like a car full of test dummies plowing into a wall.

After I had finished the single player game I never played the game. If Bungie was involved with the movie I'd be afraid of getting screwed out of a somewhat decent ending.
Old 02-05-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Larry Niven should sue. Ringworld...now there's a movie I'd see.

Open note to Peter Jackson.
Instead of trying to fost off on the world a "re-invisioned take" of a verified piece of classic cinema, why don't you do another literary adaptation? I mean really now, didn't anybody learn anything from DeLaurentis? I sure don't hold out much hope for this one. Jack Black as Carl Denham??? To quote Jay Leno's question to Hugh Grant...What were you thinking?

You did so well with LOTR. Niven wrote two followups to Ringworld, you could do another trilogy. SF instead of fantasy. Only this time, not only do you get to create an entire world, but a universe for it as well.

Oh wait. Nevermind. George Lucus beat you to that. (Yeah, right! As if.)
Old 02-05-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^
Old 02-05-05, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2
Larry Niven should sue. Ringworld...now there's a movie I'd see.

Open note to Peter Jackson.
Instead of trying to fost off on the world a "re-invisioned take" of a verified piece of classic cinema, why don't you do another literary adaptation? I mean really now, didn't anybody learn anything from DeLaurentis? I sure don't hold out much hope for this one. Jack Black as Carl Denham??? To quote Jay Leno's question to Hugh Grant...What were you thinking?

You did so well with LOTR. Niven wrote two followups to Ringworld, you could do another trilogy. SF instead of fantasy. Only this time, not only do you get to create an entire world, but a universe for it as well.

Oh wait. Nevermind. George Lucus beat you to that. (Yeah, right! As if.)
Mr. Jon2, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 02-05-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
Mr. Jon2, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I second that, he didn't even stay on topic!

That said, if they do make Halo into a movie, I hope they tap Luc Besson, as a lot of the game reminds me of 5th Element.
Old 02-05-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Adapting Halo into a movie does present an interesting problem : The main charcter, though instantly recognizable in full gear, has not been shown without helmet on (at least to where I am in Halo 2). So you're presented with a choice in the adaptation either cast an actor and show him frequently, changing one of the main dynamics of the game, or never show him without the helmet and run the risk of having nobody identify with your hero (and limiting the box-office draw without a star). Don't know what I'd do in that quandrey; you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 02-05-05, 10:35 AM

imo halo is only good for multiplayer the regular missions are kind of bad

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.