Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Episode 3: Will it be good or bad?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will Star Wars Episode 3 be good or bad?
Definitely Good.
53.53%
Definitely Bad.
46.47%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Episode 3: Will it be good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 01:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the prequels, so I voted good.

The first two aren't great, not up to the standards of the OT, but not horrible either IMO>
Old 06-29-04, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Doughboy
Oh, and one last thing. When the hell did the majority of SW fans decide that Episode II was a piece of crap?

When they regained their common sense.

Last edited by Rivero; 06-29-04 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-29-04, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Episode 3: Will it be good or bad?

Originally posted by Abranut
I say again. You don't get flamed for being a Star Wars prequels fan. There are lots of people in this thread who have posted their viewpoints in a civil and acceptable way. You started talking down other posters and putting words in your fellow posters mouths, and I called you on it.
Talking down? Please. What a total straw man defense.

And thanks for taking my smilie out when you quoted my last post to change the tone of it completely.
Sorry pal - no amount of cute, cuddly smiles will cover the tone of the message. Or does that mean that I can call you an ass hole all day long provided that I follow it up with a ?

Nope - sorry, a spade is a spade regardless of how you try and dress it up.
Old 06-29-04, 02:47 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Rivero
When they regained their common sense.
I'm still wondering when people who saw and hated the movie two years ago will regain their common since and stop wasting their time posting about it in every SW thread that comes up.

I, at least, have better things to do that repeatedly post about movies I hated, especially years after their release. It's bad enough to have lost the 2 hours or so in the theater suffering through it.
Old 06-29-04, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm still wondering when people who saw and hated the movie two years ago will regain their common since and stop wasting their time posting about it in every SW thread that comes up.

I, at least, have better things to do that repeatedly post about movies I hated, especially years after their release. It's bad enough to have lost the 2 hours or so in the theater suffering through it.

I've always wondered when the threadcrapping rules will be enforced in regards to star wars threads. Not so much in this one, since it was asking for opinons - but it seems that not but 5 posts into whatever thread comes up, The Anti-SE, Anti-Luca$ crowd has to start chiming in on how lucas had their goons hold them down and forced them to watch as Luca$ raped the family dog.

Perhaps we could have a "1-and-only Luca$ $ux0rs" thread where we round up the haters and bashers and keep them out of the other threads. They can bash all day long and leave the rest of us alone.
Old 06-29-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<Rivero!>
I, at least, have better things to do that repeatedly post about movies I hated, especially years after their release. It's bad enough to have lost the 2 hours or so in the theater suffering through it.<Not Rivero!>
Nicely put Josh. Hopefully your post will save us from having to view someone else's whiny-ass rant in the future. <not a ****ing chance>
Old 06-29-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the deal with Episode 3. I can't judge it untill I see it, as nobody can. It is stupid to form an opinion about a movie a year before its release. I enjoyed all 5 previous movies. If all things are constant I will probably enjoy Episode 3 as well, but I can't assert that until I actually see the film. Some people's minds are made up already.

Way before the internet I never knew how much Return of The Jedi sucked. I didn't have internet access when the Special Editions came out and I never knew that they sucked then. The only reason it seems the Prequels suck is because everyone on message boards say they suck. All I know is that when I bring people into the Star Wars universe who are virgins to the influence of the internet they say "Wow that was a pretty cool movie."

Ahh but I digress
Old 06-29-04, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cactusoly
All I know is that when I bring people into the Star Wars universe who are virgins to the influence of the internet they say "Wow that was a pretty cool movie."
That's if you brought them into the universe with ONLY one of the original three, of course. That's the distinction we are making here.
Old 06-29-04, 07:00 PM

This is a two-way street…many people comment about films they dislike on these boards, it’s probably do to disappointment of the said film, so frustration is often exhibited in their writing…. Star Wars fans need only look into a Matrix forum where bashing is aplenty, and those movies aren’t half as bad as the SW Prequels IMO. I wouldn’t knock a person because they have a different opinion than you; we are always going to have dissimilar opinions regarding films… especially the Star Wars movies! So I think Star Wars fans that defend everything that is Star Wars will always reach for the “stop posting about a film you hate” retort, but I believe for some SW fans, it’s more complicated than that….unfortunately.
Old 06-29-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's if you brought them into the universe with ONLY one of the original three, of course. That's the distinction we are making here.
I was actually refering to the Prequels.
Old 06-29-04, 08:08 PM
Suspended

The only reason it seems the Prequels suck is because everyone on message boards say they suck. All I know is that when I bring people into the Star Wars universe who are virgins to the influence of the internet they say "Wow that was a pretty cool movie."
Which is exactly what I've been saying for a while.

Take my mother, for example. She's not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, although she is savvy enough to put together the Palpatine->Sidious-> Emperor connection without any prompting from me or constant exposure to the comics and books. She is probably a good example of John Q Public's view of these movies, and she has enjoyed E1 and 2.

You see, beyond the handful of self-important fanboys on the internet, nobody gives a rats ass if Han shoots first or that Luke screams as he falls on Bespin, or that they changed one line in reel two of the third movie, and that the new movies are actually pretty damn entertaining.

And THAT is why I said that I feel bad for the bitter and angry folks who have so much baggage that they cant enjoy the films for what they are.
Old 06-30-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see the point of this thread; it's just a needless waste of time. We're all entitled to our opinions. And in the end...if you don't enjoy SW movies anymore...don't see Episode III. Stop being such a spoiled child. No one is making you see the movie (you'll probably complain about the high ticket prices anyway). George Lucas owes the world nothing; stop acting like he hasn't fulfilled his "destiny" as a filmmaker. It's not as if any side is really going to convince the other in the end, so can't we all just get along? i'm not saying that you shouldn't share your opinion...just don't attack others for believing something different.

With that said, here's my opinion of the Prequels:

Many would say that Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is the best movie in the series. What they don't realize is that it is infinitely easier to set up a story than it is to finish it. It is also infinitely harder to create a prequel to a story you've already told. You've got to give George Lucas credit. He's a brave man for trying at what most filmmakers avoid completely and often fail at when they try.
Old 06-30-04, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Superboy
I don't see the point of this thread; it's just a needless waste of time. We're all entitled to our opinions. And in the end...if you don't enjoy SW movies anymore...don't see Episode III. Stop being such a spoiled child. No one is making you see the movie (you'll probably complain about the high ticket prices anyway). George Lucas owes the world nothing; stop acting like he hasn't fulfilled his "destiny" as a filmmaker. It's not as if any side is really going to convince the other in the end, so can't we all just get along? i'm not saying that you shouldn't share your opinion...just don't attack others for believing something different.

With that said, here's my opinion of the Prequels:

Many would say that Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is the best movie in the series. What they don't realize is that it is infinitely easier to set up a story than it is to finish it. It is also infinitely harder to create a prequel to a story you've already told. You've got to give George Lucas credit. He's a brave man for trying at what most filmmakers avoid completely and often fail at when they try.
Best post on this forum...ever.
Old 06-30-04, 11:02 AM
Retired

Originally posted by filmfreak
This is a two-way street…many people comment about films they dislike on these boards, it’s probably do to disappointment of the said film, so frustration is often exhibited in their writing…. .
That's fine at the time of release. But why waste your time bitching about a movie you saw and hated 2 years ago?

I see a movie I hate in the theater, I'll post about it then and then drop it. No sense wasting more time discussing a movie I hated. Life's too short as is.
Old 07-01-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is the deal with Episode 3. I can't judge it untill I see it, as nobody can. It is stupid to form an opinion about a movie a year before its release. I enjoyed all 5 previous movies. If all things are constant I will probably enjoy Episode 3 as well, but I can't assert that until I actually see the film. Some people's minds are made up already.

Way before the internet I never knew how much Return of The Jedi sucked. I didn't have internet access when the Special Editions came out and I never knew that they sucked then. The only reason it seems the Prequels suck is because everyone on message boards say they suck. All I know is that when I bring people into the Star Wars universe who are virgins to the influence of the internet they say "Wow that was a pretty cool movie."

Ahh but I digress

Dear lord, this post is EXACTLY what I think about what the internet has done to fandom. Not just SW fandom but all other types sports, Star Trek, Matrix etc etc...
Old 07-01-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the internet has necessarily played a role...but i've noticed people tend to be more negative when expressing their views on the internet. The anonymity helps a lot...it's cuz they don't have the balls to say that kind of stuff in real life...even if it's not what they really think about the movie. People in general tend to be bigger *******s online than they ever would be in real life. And anyone who really IS an ******* in real life probably doesn't bother with the internet.

That said, I wouldn't say that Episode I/II were the best movies ever, and they did let me down somewhat. But they were enjoyable, entertaining movies, and I own both the DVDs, which I watch every now and then. I appreciate the movies much more for what they are now, since my expectations for them have cooled.
Old 07-01-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Superboy
I think the internet has necessarily played a role...but i've noticed people tend to be more negative when expressing their views on the internet. The anonymity helps a lot...it's cuz they don't have the balls to say that kind of stuff in real life...even if it's not what they really think about the movie. People in general tend to be bigger *******s online than they ever would be in real life. And anyone who really IS an ******* in real life probably doesn't bother with the internet.

That said, I wouldn't say that Episode I/II were the best movies ever, and they did let me down somewhat. But they were enjoyable, entertaining movies, and I own both the DVDs, which I watch every now and then. I appreciate the movies much more for what they are now, since my expectations for them have cooled.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but people aren't *******s just for having a different opinion than your own. The naysayers can be nasty, but I've seen just as many flames coming from the Lucas fan base.
Old 07-01-04, 06:45 PM
Banned

There's very little question in my mind that it will be the worst Star Wars yet.
Old 07-02-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's another question:

How will episode III be affected by the fact that it is the last Star Wars movie, period?

What I mean is, that since people are split on their feelings about the prequels so far, for the non-fans (of the prequels) Episode III could be considered Lucas' last chance to redeem the series. Also considering that there are so many things to left over from the previous films, that Episode III will need to tie up any loose ends in a satisfactory manner. Will Episode III be hurt by the inevitable lose ends?
Old 07-07-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
I hope that the movie is a good one, but i am holding hope close to the vest.
Old 07-07-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Will Episode III be hurt by the inevitable lose ends?
I doubt it. there is enough side material always happening that anyone looking for more answers can easily find them in the books and other source material.

I really cant say right now if it will be good or bad since we have just seen production stills and nothing more. give it time.
Old 07-07-04, 03:14 PM
Banned

Here's another question:

How will episode III be affected by the fact that it is the last Star Wars movie, period?
Well, I'm guessing many will forgive it's misgivings for that reason alone, at least for a short while. Kinda like the case with Attack of the Clones. So many fans so desperately wanted it to make up for the tragedy that was The Phantom Menace, but after a short while, when it came down to it, many came to the realization that it really wasn't that much better at all.
Old 07-07-04, 03:19 PM

Episode III could be considered Lucas' last chance to redeem the series.
Yeah, I'm sure George is crying all the way to the bank. These movies have been immensely successful and will continue to be for years on dvd. With all of the special editions that will follow, he will not be to upset. In fact, I would bet that he is quite proud, and rightfully so, of these movies.

There is a small percentage of vocal fans in internet chat that loathe the man and his movies. The general population loves them.

Prove me wrong.
Old 07-08-04, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kcbrett5
Yeah, I'm sure George is crying all the way to the bank. These movies have been immensely successful and will continue to be for years on dvd. With all of the special editions that will follow, he will not be to upset. In fact, I would bet that he is quite proud, and rightfully so, of these movies.

There is a small percentage of vocal fans in internet chat that loathe the man and his movies. The general population loves them.
The general population loves the prequels? lol, whatever you say, Sparky.
Old 07-08-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Rivero will forgive it's misgivings for that reason alone, at least for a short while. Kinda like the case with Attack of the Clones. Rivero so desperately wanted it to make up for the tragedy that was The Phantom Menace, but after a short while, when it came down to it, Rivero came to the realization that it really wasn't that much better at all.
FIXED!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.