Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was a teenager, I went to the movies by myself all the time. I did it again about two years ago, and I have to admit it felt a little weird. It's not like I was some hobo, staggering in for warmth. I even folded my pants nice & neat before placing them next to me.
Old 06-10-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK...I don't have problems watching a movie in the theatres by myself.

But I did find myself putting my knapsack or my jacket on the seat next to me to make it seem as if I did have someone along. A few minutes before the lights dim or if the theatre is packed, then I take it back.
Old 06-10-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't see the big deal with going by yourself. though I do know a couple of folks who have never been to them flicks by themselves. I just don't see the big deal, it's not much of a socializing spot unless you want to make fun of the flick. other than that I would like folks to shut up when I'm in the theater.
Old 06-10-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I could care less either way.......If I want to see a movie and don't have a girl at the time or if no friends want to go.......I just go myself --> only an idiot would have a problem with it.
Old 06-10-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i very rarely go by myself...i usually like having somebody there with me....friends for action movies, a girl for the rest. I dont have any problem seeing something by myself, especially since i work nights and am off during the day. Like the lack of crowds during the day.
Old 06-10-04, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Go by myself all the time; Especially when I go to the art house theater since I don't have tons of friends that will sit through those types of movies.

And I've had a theater all to myself, it's very cool when it's a horror or thriller.
Old 06-10-04, 11:05 PM

I usually see the first viewings (opening night) with a couple of close friends who have similar tastes like my own.

If the movie warrants a rare second viewing (e.g x2 or RotK) or if I was disturbed by something that detracted me, I'll watch it a second time alone, during a mid-day matinee where its just me and the other loners who are strictly maintaining the 1 person for every other row.

Lately I'm just waiting for DVD on the 2nd viewings.
Old 06-10-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Never have & never would but if someone wants to do it, there is nothing wrong w/ that.

For me, the fun of going to the movies is talking about the movie afterwards, going out afterwards, or making fun of the movie during. If I'm going to watch a movie by myself I'd stay home & do it. I don't understand going to the movies & paying to see a movie by yourself, but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you.
I couldn't have put it better myself. if I am going to watch a movie by myself, it's going to be at homeon the HT. Going out to see a movie is something to do with friends, family, SO, etc.

But that's just my feelings . . .
Old 06-11-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Yes, but I haven't in quite a while. There was a point in my life a few years ago, where none of my friends would go to movies with me. I saw quite a few flicks by myself. I'd usually go on my Friday off at the first showing.
Old 06-11-04, 12:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

only time i sat totally alone in a theater was with Gigli, the second week it was out. it was awesome. I kicked my feet up, scratched my nuts, farted loudly, used my cell phone half way through...i ended up sorta enjoying the picture just because i had so much fun in there.
Old 06-11-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been to 16 movies this year, and I've been to... two with other people. I actually prefer being a loner for two reasons. The first is that when I'm in a movie, I kind of like to zone out and enter a trance-like state where I only focus on the movie (I get a seat in the middle middle, so that the screen takes up my entire field of vision). And secondly, I have kind of bizarre tastes in movies, and if I brought friends along, I'd just be dragging them. I wanted to see Unbreakable, so I brought one of my friends along, and we both ended up hating it, felt kinda guilty for that
Old 06-11-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frequently. Just came back from seeing The Day After Tomorrow by myself.

If traffic isn't bad, I'll head home from work and it'll take 45-60 minutes, and my wife will be home already - but it's usually too late for us to go to a movie together (and I hate going to cinemas in the city anyway). If traffic IS bad, like it was tonight, I prefer to wait out the traffic (rather than sit in it), and going to see a movie is a great way to do that. (Of course, tonight traffic was STILL bad when I got out of the movie and went home... but that's what rain and fog will do for ya.)
Old 06-11-04, 01:05 AM

They think you either a loner, can't get a date, can never get laid, a weirdo or a geek with no friends
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
I go alone.
Old 06-11-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, yes. All the time. The reason is because most of my friends couldn't go to the theatre as often as I do, and they have different taste. I had a good watching buddy (which also happen to be a member here), but she lived 4 hours away from me so we didn't go to the theatre together very often.
Old 06-11-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I go alone sometimes. I'm really impatient where movies are concerned, and like to go opening night or weekend. If friends are busy and it's a movie I really have to see now, I go. I've never really felt weird about seeing a movie by myself, because there's tons of people already there.

I remember a few times when I saw a movie by myself and had the whole theater to myself. It's a pretty cool feeling, having an entire theater to yourself.
Old 06-11-04, 03:51 AM

Yes, I've gone alone and have no problem with it. Usually it is because my girlfriend doesn't want to see a particular film or there is no one that has time to go with me. I don't mind and its actually relaxing and entertaining being able to focus on the movie. I could care less what people think if I am seating alone and look as though I am a loner or geek with no friends.
Old 06-11-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Originally posted by Cardiac161
Some (or most) people I know seem to find it weird for someone to watch a movie in a theatre all by themselves.

I may understand if they are women and may not feel all that safe inside the dark theatre, but most of the guys' reasoning seem to stem from some sort of insecurity. They think you either a loner, can't get a date, can never get laid, a weirdo or a geek with no friends, or that people will just start whispering about why you are by yourself.

I myself am married, have considerable number of friends...
How old are your friends? If I were you, I would get more intellectual friends ASAP! Sorry to make that sound mean, but they are completely immature if they are adults and think that way.

I am 19 years old and I go alone all the time. And even though I am not the most popular guy in college I am not a loner, I have a girlfriend, get laid as many times as she permits, I am not a geek or weirdo and I have friends, and I could care less about what people whisper about me.

The reasons I go alone have been stated by many: I find it much more satisfying to spend my money on something I am going to enjoy. If I go out with friends we go out to eat or to a bar. The movies are here to be watched...not to be talked through.

*Of course not all couples/groups who go to the movies are chatterboxes, but...well...most of them are.
Old 06-11-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sessa17

If I'm going to watch a movie by myself I'd stay home & do it. I don't understand going to the movies & paying to see a movie by yourself, but if that's what floats your boat, more power to you.

I respect what you are saying but:

What about those "loner, can't get a date, can never get laid, a weirdo or a geek with no friends, or that people will just start whispering about why you are by yourself" people who don't want to wait for a movie on dvd?
Old 06-11-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I go to about 95 percent of the films that I see by myself. I've never had a problem with it, probably because when I was young, my parents used to shop in the mall all day, and I would just hang out all day in the mall's theater, seeing a movie or two...of course, this was back in the day when parents could leave their kids alone to wander about.

Oddly...or perhaps not oddly...I would feel uncomfortable going to a restaurant, concert or sporting event by myself. Anyone else like this? No problem with movies, but a problem with the rest?
Old 06-11-04, 11:46 AM

Most of the time I don't go by myself.. but I did when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. All of my friends refused to go because they thought Vol. 1 was crap
Old 06-11-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
more often than not lately
usually a matinee because I'm cheap
Old 06-11-04, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
.. but I did when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. All of my friends refused to go because they thought Vol. 1 was crap
It's time to make new friends.
Old 06-11-04, 12:46 PM
Retired

I do fairly often. I like to go on weekday mornings when the theater is fairly empty, and it's not easy to find someone to go with then as most people are at work (I set my own hours).
Old 06-11-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm female, and go alone 95% of the time. (Did have a couple of instances of weirdos sitting next to me, though that won't stop me. )

In answer to Shannon's question. . . I've also gone to rock concerts by myself. I can easily eat alone at places like McDonald's or something, but have never gone to a really nice sitdown place alone.

I've been extremely independent from when I was in elementary school and absolutely don't understand the need to have company all the time. I LOVE the freedom of doing things alone.
Old 06-11-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by conscience
I respect what you are saying but:

What about those "loner, can't get a date, can never get laid, a weirdo or a geek with no friends, or that people will just start whispering about why you are by yourself" people who don't want to wait for a movie on dvd?
Like I posted, if that is what someone resorts to, then that's cool. I still don't understand it, if that is what someone is, I feel for them, going to the movies should be fun, not a last resort b/c you have no one to go with or are to impatient for the DVD. I guess I should be grateful I have a cool girlfriend & lots of friends.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.