Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix Revolutions: Does it suck as much as I've heard?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Matrix Revolutions: Does it suck as much as I've heard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 01:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by gcribbs
I feel that they are bashed far more than they deserve. The first Matrix movie was very original. The next two movies were never going to capture that same magic feeling.
But I think it went beyond not recapturing the magic. It just became obvious that the Wachowskis really didn't intend for it to be a trilogy, no matter how much they claim it always was supposed to be that way, and then in their bluster, stumbled so far.

It was like the moment you realized Chris Carter had lost any kind of narrative thread for The X-Files and was making it up as he went along.
Old 04-05-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Revolutions but I didn't expect to see the greatest piece of film ever. Great action and tying up of loose ends............Yes. Pretentious....yes. Shakespeare...no. But if ya want a movie that'll rattle the china cabinet...go for it.
Old 04-05-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Reloaded left me a little bumed, revolutions left me denying the existance of both.
ditto
Old 04-05-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither sequel can hold a candle to the original, but I definitely enjoyed Revolutions more than Reloaded. It was just less...bloat. Would've liked to see more of Morpheus. It seemed he was relegated to a background character and cheerleader in this one.
Old 04-05-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great Action????? I saw better action in Agent Cody Banks......

No but seriously, the first movie had Martial arts galore, the second one had it as well and looked nice.....

Revolutions on the other hand took things toooooooo seriously.....

Revolutions sucked big tennis balls......
Old 04-05-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I loved Revolutions, but bear in mind that my two viewings were at "zero hour" and an IMAX, so that might have played a large part. I actually had a thread where I questioned my sanity for liking the movie.
As a whole, I loved the story and its philosophy. Broken up into smaller bits, I can see how one wouldn't think much of it. If nothing else, Revolutions is a cool visual treat and you at least owe it to yourself to complete the story.
Old 04-05-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs
I was someone who actually liked Reloaded and Revolutions. I thought they were both well done movies that kept me entertained.

I did not change my life while watching them ;however, I did enjoy myself.

I feel that they are bashed far more than they deserve. The first Matrix movie was very original. The next two movies were never going to capture that same magic feeling.
ditto
Old 04-05-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I actually like Reloaded better than the first. That's saying a lot because I'm a big fan of the first (I think I went to see it a total of ten times which is a rarity for me). Yes, it was pretentious at times but I was cool with that because the first was also quite pretentious. And really most of the complaints come for the Architect's manner of speaking. But it made sense given how he obviously saw himself superior to Neo and would talk down to him in such a manner.

As for the third film, I'd rank it almost on par with the first (just slightly bellow). Again, that's saying a lot because I view Revolutions as the missing third act of Reloaded. I often wonder if the title is not so much a reference to the book of Revelation but rather alluding to the word "resolutions" as that's what the third film basically consisted of. It's actually a good movie just not a fantastic one. Watch it with that in mind and you might like it.

I just hope after the MMORPG has run its course (you know eventually it will), we'd get a fourth film that'd tie up that annoyingly obvious setup for a sequel Revolutions has. Then again, I guess that's what the game is for.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-05-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 09:11 AM
Banned

To answer the header.....no, it does not.
Old 04-05-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I did not enojoy Revolutions, and I even saw it twice during its theatrical run to try to give it a chance over my expectations. In the theater, I found myself laughing at bad acting, contrived plot points, and obvious imagery. Granted, the other two movies had their share of these flaws, but by the time I've gotten to the third movie of the series, the spectacle of the special effects just doesn't awe me any more.

I can definately understand the view points of those who like this movie. It contains many entertaining aspects, but for myself, the positive do not outweigh the negatives.
Old 04-05-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
I actually like Reloaded better than the first. That's saying a lot because I'm a big fan of the first (I think I went to see it a total of ten times which is a rarity for me). Yes, it was pretentious at times but I was cool with that because the first was also quite pretentious. And really most of the complaints come for the Architect's manner of speaking. But it made sense given how he obviously saw himself superior to Neo and would talk down to him in such a manner.

As for the third film, I'd rank it almost on par with the first (just slightly bellow). Again, that's saying a lot because I view Revolutions as the missing third act of Reloaded. I often wonder if the title is not so much a reference to the book of Revelation but rather alluding to the word "resolutions" as that's what the third film basically consisted of. It's actually a good movie just not a fantastic one. Watch it with that in mind and you might like it.

I just hope after the MMORPG has run its course (you know eventually it will), we'd get a fourth film that'd tie up that annoyingly obvious setup for a sequel Revolutions has. Then again, I guess that's what the game is for.
I'm pretty much the same way - I like revolutions better than the first even though the first did move at quicker pace (which I feel is important for these types of films).

But, Revolutions was a dark film, it was of a more serious tone and that really attracted me to it - I also loved how Agent Smith was at his most evil in Revolutions, he was barely noticed in Reloaded (even with a hundred of them jumping on Neo).

It should be remembered (as it was somewhat hit on in previous posts) that Revolutions is NOT a third serving to the first film - it's simply a continuation of Reloaded and a damn good one.

This is my favorite movie out of all three and the only one I will buy - there is just something about the overall feel of it.
Old 04-05-04, 11:21 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this series got progressively worse. They should have just made one sequel - cut out some of the pointless battles and they would have had something to stand-up to the original film.
Old 04-05-04, 11:46 AM

Re: Matrix Revolutions: Does it suck as much as I've heard?

Originally posted by Living Dead
I love the original Matrix, but was sorely disappointed with the sequel, so much so that I skipped Revolutions when it was in theatres. So I have no idea how the trilogy ends. But I've heard a few mixed reviews of this movie and I wonder if I even want to see it, or if I just want to remember the original without the other two. Does this movie bring the story full circle and give the trilogy a worthwhile send-off, or should I stay away?
Yeah, it's pretty awful. But then, I never thought the first one was very good either. Plot holes you could drive a semi through.

But after seeing this one ... the first one starts to look better and better. Just awful.
Old 04-05-04, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I liked Reloaded a lot -- not as much as the original, but it was an enjoyable movie that seemed to set up the series for a satisfying conclusions. Revolutions, I thought, sucked. Since the original poster hasn't seen the movie, I'll put specifics in spoiler space.
Spoiler:
First of all, the action sequences were terrible. The Superman battle between Neo and Smith was fun, but other than that, what did we get? Morpheus and Niobe driving? A bunch of computerized squids swarming all over the place? Totally uninspiring.

Second, the premise of the first movie was that the small sliver of humanity that was free was at war to free the rest of us. Somewhere along the way, that mutated into "Why can't we all just get a long?" The movie ended with the machines promising to free the humans if they wanted to be free; otherwise, the machines will keep enslaving them. Huh? Suddenly, the decision made by Cypher (Joey Pants' character in the first movie) has the same moral weight as the decision made by Neo. Whatever.

Third, there's the aforementioned problem that they never explain why Neo was able to stop the Sentinels at the end of Reloaded. "Because he's the One" does not match up with everything we had been taught about the One in the previous films.

Fourth, there's no explanation of why the Architect acted the way he did in Reloaded. In that movie, he basically goaded Neo into doing something that, according to his explanation, would crash the Matrix. Why would he want to do this? What was his motivation? That never gets addressed.

Also, not to be one of those "No insert!?! I'm cancelling my preoder!!!!11!!!1!" people, but man, does that DVD cover art suck.
Old 04-05-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JasonF, well said. The questions you raised confused me as well, and I agree with you completely on the DVD cover.

Still, I am buying the DVD to complete the trilogy and the resolution to the whole thing. I am one of the few people who thought Keanu Reeves did a great job portraying Neo. He was just as good in this even though he was missing for most of the movie It is a pretty weak conclusion to the trilogy but I wasn't expecting much. I give it a C+.
Old 04-05-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, we might all be disappointed with Reloaded, but Reloaded is seen in a different light once you've seen Revolutions (which is better than Reloaded).

I would see it if I were you (plus it concludes everything).

Matrix: A-
M: Reloaded: B-
M: Revolutions: B+
Animatrix: B
Old 04-05-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jonpeters
yeah, we might all be disappointed with Reloaded, but Reloaded is seen in a different light once you've seen Revolutions (which is better than Reloaded).

I would see it if I were you (plus it concludes everything).

Matrix: A-
M: Reloaded: B-
M: Revolutions: B+
Animatrix: B
i would do:

Matrix: A
M: Reloaded: C-
M: Revolutions: D+
Animatrix: A-
Old 04-05-04, 03:35 PM

I for one quite enjoyed Revolutions. While it's true the film doesn't really address some of the things we wish it would have, and that some plots points are telegraphed in very vague manners, nonetheless I think it is an excellent capper to the Matrix story. Not to mention with some kick ass action sequences and some incredible special effects.

Now, granted, I'm one of those guys who doesn't think the first film is that amazing. Quite frankly, save for the pacing issues of the sequels, I find that all three Matrices have the same level of acting, scifi plot, inane philosophy which is nonetheless amusing. I actually found myself liking the whole series more with the advent of the sequels. Nonetheless, liked Revolutions a lot...great eye candy, and a good resolution to the story. I know some people hated the way it all ended but...quite frankly...I quite liked it. And thought it to be far more original than just your typical good guy beats the bad guys films.
Old 04-05-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of people griped about Revolutions not giving much resolution. While I will agree, a lot of sci-fi writings and movies (i.e. Blade Runner, 2001) leaves it to the audience to decide for themselves what to believe and what not to believe.

I think the Wachowskis were using the oracle in the third movie to speak to the audience concerning the philosophy when she says : "You're going to have to make up your own damn mind."

While it may be hard to believe, I think the Wachowskis have made the first ever trilogy of movies that has a cult following when you only count the people who liked them all.
Old 04-05-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

This DVD is frickin awesome!
Old 04-05-04, 05:23 PM

I like how everyone bashes the Matrix films for it's inane philosophy, but then complain at "plot holes" that can be explained with a little bit of thought and some already established philosophy. These are the same people who mock Revolutions because they think the depth of the philosophy stopped at MOBIL Ave being an anagram of LIMBO.

I loved Revolutions, and I think it's the best of the series (although the first ranks higher in my all time favorite movies). If you don't like to put a lot of thought into movies, and if reading up on a little philosophy and mythology and theology ain't your style, you're probably not going to like it. Still, I thought at it's very basic level, Revolutions was an entertaining action movie. The eye candy alone was worth the price of admission.

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/vfxpro/article_7062.shtml

Check out the videos of CG Smith and Neo towards the bottom. Revolutions is the most technically impressive movie ever made.

Last edited by beefjerky; 04-05-04 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 05:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
A lot of people griped about Revolutions not giving much resolution. While I will agree, a lot of sci-fi writings and movies (i.e. Blade Runner, 2001) leaves it to the audience to decide for themselves what to believe and what not to believe.
There's a difference between 2001 and Blade Runner, which actually provoked though, and Revolutions, which attempted to veil its plot inadequacies behind vague philosophical musings that on the surface seem deep, but don't go anywhere.

Originally posted by beefjerky
If you don't like to put a lot of thought into movies, and if reading up on a little philosophy and mythology and theology ain't your style, you're probably not going to like it.
On the contrary, I think if reading up on philosophy, mythology, and theology are your style, you're going to see through this movie. The Wachowskis put a lot of red herrings in the film to distract the audience from thinking too much about the supposed philosophical points that were really dropped quite early in the film.

Revolutions is the most technically impressive movie ever made.

I think there are a few Hobbits that would have to disagree with you on that.
Old 04-05-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
On the contrary, I think if reading up on philosophy, mythology, and theology are your style, you're going to see through this movie.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 04-05-04, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
On the contrary, I think if reading up on philosophy, mythology, and theology are your style, you're going to see through this movie. The Wachowskis put a lot of red herrings in the film to distract the audience from thinking too much about the supposed philosophical points that were really dropped quite early in the film.
I'm not claiming that the movie is incredibly deep, but it is well put together, and there are a lot of things that do continue on throughout the the movie. A lot of it is subtext, but being able to identify and piece together a lot of the theological and philosophical points is what made the movie satisfying for me.

I think there are a few Hobbits that would have to disagree with you on that.
Overall, from a pure technical point of view, Revolutions got ROTK beat. Aesthetically, it's debatable, but the technology is far more impressive in Revolutions.
Old 04-05-04, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

Overall, from a pure technical point of view, Revolutions got ROTK beat. Aesthetically, it's debatable, but the technology is far more impressive in Revolutions.
I don't want to start a LOTR vs. Matrix debate, but since we're talking about something that can be quantified (technical achievement), I would have to say that there were far more factors that went into most shots in The Lord of the Rings than in Revolutions. I mean, taking into account matters of scale, CGI vs. real actors, backdrops and real locations, etc., even a simple shot in The Lord of the Rings was incredibly complicated.

Now, I'm not trying to say that the effects in Reloaded and Revolutions aren't impressive, because they are. However, when they would do the slow-mo stuff in the Neo/Smith fights, it was quite easy to tell when they were using CGI versus when they weren't. It wasn't very seamless at all. The first movie didn't have that problem, the second two do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.