Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the worst widescreen to pan & scan conversion you've ever noticed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What is the worst widescreen to pan & scan conversion you've ever noticed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't remember any more . . . I used to get bother by it all of the time, and I know I had some that I really hated, but, honestly, it's been so long since I watched a P&S movie that I really don't remember any more.
Old 01-21-04, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I forgot Pulp Fiction!
Old 01-21-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grease! Seasickening!
Old 01-21-04, 08:14 PM

Multiplicity by far. There's so much artificial panning it makes me nauseous.
Old 01-22-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
A League of Their Own will give even the strongest of stomachs a tinge of vertigo.
Same here.. I have to take dramamine to view that thing on cable.
Old 01-22-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Multiplicity and A League of Their Own are the worst that I've seen.
Old 01-22-04, 05:08 AM
Banned

Lawrence of Arabia
Ben Hur
Star Wars Saga
Braveheart
Old 01-22-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any of the man with no name films, you know Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More etc on late night tv when I was a kid..

they would start out with the widescreen, Techniscope 2.35:1 for the titles and so on at the start, so one would not really think anything of it..

then all of a sudden when the "movie" started it would warp to this really strange pan/scan/stretch thing.. I mean it would look like the guys were x2 normal hight and just bean poles and I swear it almost looked like it was at an angle or something.. I'm still not really sure how they pulled that off. heh

So for example in the scene where the barrels roll down at some one you would hear them, not see them at ALL being they were way, way, way off to the left till this oval thing --lop lop lop lop-- into frame and crushed the bean pole guy..

Strangest version of a film I can ever remember seeing. I don't really get how anyone made it and thought it was even sort of ok.. I'm sure some of you have seen it too...

Ah the good old days when late night tv movies etc and not just infomercials
Old 01-22-04, 03:50 PM
Banned

Ben-Hur

Any Sergio Leone movie
Old 01-22-04, 05:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Last Action Hero
Old 01-22-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A League of Their Own, definitely.

In the Mouth of Madness: When Sam Neill is attacked by a psycho, I always thought he was saved by a brave cop with a gun. Turns out it was two brave cops! In the pan and scan version there is only one guy there!
Old 01-23-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Starship Troopers:

Caught some of it on FX the other night and it about gave me vertigo with all the quick pans.
Old 01-23-04, 12:51 PM

A few years ago (pre-DVD) my Dad (who's a huge John Wayne fan) was all excited when they finally released "McClintock!" on video (apparently there was some legal hold-up that prevented its release for years). He popped the tape in, and it was the worst p & s I'd ever seen. In fact, there didn't seem to be any attempt at panning at all--the view was always totally in the center of every scene, no matter what was happening on the edges--no movement to any area of interest whatsoever. In one scene, John Wayne is standing on the extreme right of the screen, talking to someone on the extreme left. They're standing in front of a fence, and there's a cow in the background. You can hear Wayne's voice, but the only objects visible in the scene were the fence & the cow. Another scene had Wayne & his love interest at the extreme edges of the screen, and all you could see throughout the entire scene was a painting hanging on the wall in the middle of the frame.

I agree with "League of Their Own" and its electronic pans, or whatever they're called.

I also have trouble watching any Godzilla or Toho film in p & s. Those movies are over twice as wide as they are tall, and in some scenes it's impossible for me to decipher what's happening on screen.
Old 01-23-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Multiplicity for sure, and League fo Their Own and My Best Friends Wedding.
Old 01-23-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
pee wee's big adventure.
I don't believe PWBA has ever been released P & S. It was always presented open-matte, I believe.
Old 01-23-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any movie released by Columbia/Tristar (you can "see" the pan and scan)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Alien
The Royal Tenenbaums
Old 01-23-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Armageddon. It's not terrible when it comes to scans. But the extreme closeups are killer. And the movie is already hard enough to watch. Same thing goes for Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 01-23-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

moulin rouge is really bad with the pans. I was watching the movie on vh1, and was amazed at how often it pans.
Old 01-23-04, 09:27 PM

Another vote for Ghostbusters. That was the first movie I ever noticed pan and scan significantly when I was a kid and it always annoyed the crap out of me.
Old 01-24-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by muggins
Multiplicity. I can't stand that movie in P&S.

agreed the first one that came to mind when I read this topic.
Old 01-25-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Plenty to choose from. Good call on Columbia. Totally nausea inducing dizzy fests.

While P&S has always been bad. Columbia seemed to take the P&S wrongs of the past(extreme cropping,stretching/squshing/zooming) & added constant Michael bay like artificial scans every second!

Since I have not viewed P&S as much anymore thanks to DVD(). I have seen bits of movies on cable & how horrible they look cropped. Yet I will go way back to before dvd even existed & recall a terrible P&S job on tv.

Cool Hand Luke,the opening is smooshed together to the extreme to fit as much information onscreen as possible(yet is still heavily cropped!). Of course it is severely distorted since Paul Newman looks about 1 cm wide. When it cuts to his laugh,then pauses & the title comes up. All that was left onscreen was this 1/2 cm wide Newman & distorted stretched title not onscreen fully & thus looked like OL HAND LU. I turned the tv off fast!

I was around 8 or so when I caught this on tv & wondered why the hell did old movies look so bad on tv? Where they badly filmed or something? I always had a feeling something was not right with the framing/picture quality. Turns out I was right!

Anyway I have never dared to see all of Cool Hand Luke until I caught it on TCM in WS last year. Good movie,makes good use of the frame...& I can only imagine how horrible it would look in P&S from what glimpse I saw as a kid.

Why did studios even think P&S was a good idea anyway? A disaster is what it is & it really ****ed over the public who were weened on it over the last 20+ years.

I wish dvds would be released in OAR only. Screw the P&S lovers!
Old 01-25-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Multiplicity is the poster-child for this topic.
Old 03-09-04, 01:15 AM

Add Donnie Darko to mine
Old 03-09-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every Luc Besson Film:

La Femme Nikita
The Fifth Element
The Professional (aka Léon)
Old 03-09-04, 06:52 AM

A Few Good Men

Horrible

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.