Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Alien 5 - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They are still doing Prometheus 2. The Variety article said it's going to be done separate of Alien 5.
I didn't think Prometheus did that good box office wise. Then I think it's strange that they'd do another Aliens movie.

Originally Posted by antspawn
Why? It's the same shit one already seen throughout tons of Alien movies. Humans shooting down Aliens as they're getting chased. It's a tiring formula.
Me personally, I'm not that interested in Alien as a franchise because I felt that the first 3 told the story and ended well. Everything after felt unnecessary and didn't jibe well with what had been established in the original trilogy. I don't have too much interest in sequels to Resurrection or A v P. I don't like the idea of remaking a film like Alien, a film that still holds up, but remakes at least rejuvenates the jaded viewers' interest.

If it's just humans shooting down aliens like Resurrection though, I agree that's tired.
Old 02-20-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

A movie done in the style of the game Alien: Isolation would be cool. However, I'd argue that movie already exists. It's called Alien.

An AVP reboot/sequel could be fun if (A) it ignored AVP:R and (B) finally used Peter Briggs' script which itself was an almost verbatim adaptation of the first Aliens versus Predator comic book series from Dark Horse.

I would love to see the badass lead from that story, Machiko Noguchi, make the leap to the big screen.
Old 02-20-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
A movie done in the style of the game Alien: Isolation would be cool. However, I'd argue that movie already exists. It's called Alien.

An AVP reboot/sequel could be fun if (A) it ignored AVP:R and (B) finally used Peter Briggs' script which itself was an almost verbatim adaptation of the first Aliens versus Predator comic book series from Dark Horse.

I would love to see the badass lead from that story, Machiko Noguchi, make the leap to the big screen.
No shit. I remember reading that comic book when I was a kid and thinking that it actually read like a movie and not some mediocre licensed comic like Marvel's Robocop or Star Wars books.

Could see Rinko Kikuchi playing the lead.
Old 02-20-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think Alien 3 is good enough to be included with the first two Alien films. It's not perfect but it's a quality film that's a damn sight better than anything that came after.
Alien 3 is like Godfather 3 when compared to the first 2 films.

Alien 3 is like Citizen Kane when compared to the 4 films that came after.
Old 02-20-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Could see Rinko Kikuchi playing the lead.
I was thinking of Rila Fukushima but Rinko Kikuchi would be awesome.
Old 02-20-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) - News, rumors, etc.

They'd need someone Asian and without an accent, so Kelly Hu would rock, but they won't be spending that kind of cash again for an AVP film.
Old 02-20-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They'd need someone Asian and without an accent, so Kelly Hu would rock, but they won't be spending that kind of cash again for an AVP film.
If they can cast her on Arrow, they can cast her in a film. I don't think money is the problem.
Old 02-20-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Alien 3 is like Godfather 3 when compared to the first 2 films.

Alien 3 is like Citizen Kane when compared to the 4 films that came after.
Alien 3 just never recovered from the early blow of Newt/Hicks. It's a very depressing movie throughout.
Old 02-20-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only way to bring back ALIEN properly is to have Ellen Ripley brought out of a deep freeze and reveal that ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION were just bad dreams. That may piss off some fans, but the number of fans it would please far outweighs the number it would tick off.

Bringing back the clone/Alien hybrid of Ripley is something I have ZERO interest in seeing.
Sigourney mentioned on the Tonight Show that she & Neil have "had talks" about Ripley returning for Alien 5
Old 02-20-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
If they can cast her on Arrow, they can cast her in a film. I don't think money is the problem.
What's the budget on a series like Arrow and what's the hypothetical budget on the actual AVP based on the graphic novel for the film?

You'd need familiar and non-ESL leads in the starring roles (people will get pissed that they can't understand what she says due to the accent) otherwise it'll end up like the AVP films we already got.
Old 02-20-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I didn't think Prometheus did that good box office wise.
It was a disappointment domestically, but it actually did very well in foreign markets:

Prometheus (budget: $130 million)
Box Office (domestic): $126.47 million
Box Office (foreign): $276.87 million
Total Box Office: $403.35 million
Old 02-20-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So this sequel to the sequels of the original happens after the sequel to the prequel to the original.
Old 02-20-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What's the budget on a series like Arrow and what's the hypothetical budget on the actual AVP based on the graphic novel for the film?

You'd need familiar and non-ESL leads in the starring roles (people will get pissed that they can't understand what she says due to the accent) otherwise it'll end up like the AVP films we already got.
I bet you they could have it done for $50-60 million. The AVP movies and Predators were done pretty modestly budget wise.
Old 02-21-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
It was a disappointment domestically, but it actually did very well in foreign markets:

Prometheus (budget: $130 million)
Box Office (domestic): $126.47 million
Box Office (foreign): $276.87 million
Total Box Office: $403.35 million
This is why so many sequels get the greenlight despite what appears to be lower than expected grosses. I think studios now own a larger portion of the foreign take than they have in years past.
Old 02-25-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sigourney Weaver is officially on board. Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are no longer canon.

Neill Blomkamp’s New ALIEN Movie Officially Has Sigourney Weaver on Board, Will Ignore Last 2 Movies

Neill Blomkamp’s Alien movie, which was just a series of concept sketches posted on Instagram a few months back, has suddenly become very real. And now we are learning some details, although many of them could have been guessed from the artwork. First off, in case there were any doubt, Sigourney Weaver will indeed return as Ellen Ripley, and this movie should give proper closure to her character. Also surmised from the concept art (that included an older version of Michael Biehn’s Hicks character from Aliens), Blomkamp’s new movie will basically disregard Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection as the director says he’s designing the film to sit in sequence right after Aliens.

Will Blomkamp just pretend that the other two movies didn’t happen, similar to what Bryan Singer did with Superman III and Superman IV when he made Superman Returns? Although that movie had its fair share of issues, I don’t think anyone was upset that Richard Pryor’s character and Nuclear Man were flushed down the continuity toilet. But while just about no one loves Alien: Resurrection (even Joss Whedon, the guy who wrote it), David Fincher’s Alien 3 does have its fans out there. If anything, that movie scored some points this weekend for providing us with the basis for this excellent post-Oscars meme.

Personally, I hope they treat those two movies as the mother of all cryo-sleep nightmares. It would be weird to just not mention them at all, considering that Weaver was front and center for both, but maybe that’s the plan. Fox hasn’t given a release date yet for the movie, but I imagine we’ll be hearing a lot more about this one very soon. In the meantime, check out this video from Sky Movies where both Blomkamp and Weaver talk about Alien 5, and don’t forget to watch Jessica Chobot break down her hopes and dreams in a recent episode of Nerdist News!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Th8os-IfZhg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-25-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many times did Weaver say she was done with this franchise now? I hope this isn't an Aliens clone.

I didn't like what Alien 3 did with the leftover characters from Aliens, but I still think it's a pretty good movie that tried to cover new ground while returning to the single Alien like the original. I certainly enjoy it more the older I get.

Can't they just explain 3 and 4 by saying that after Aliens the company rescued Ripley, Newt and Hicks, cloned them before waking them up, and sent them off to Fury as an experiment? Start Alien 5 fresh with the real characters.
Old 02-25-15, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The third and fourth movies were cryo dreams and that's always been so.
Old 02-25-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't they just explain 3 and 4 by saying that after Aliens the company rescued Ripley, Newt and Hicks, cloned them before waking them up, and sent them off to Fury as an experiment? Start Alien 5 fresh with the real characters.
I remember someone, maybe James Cameron, saying that the Alien story has to involve Ripley. I kind of agree because as the films progressed, you want Ripley to survive after all she's been through, and you see the threat of the Aliens, not just as a viewer watching random character die one by one, but through her eyes. Ripley and Newts relationship is what gave the second film a greater weight.
Old 02-25-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What would be ironic is if this new film disregards 3 & 4 and winds up being worse.
Old 02-25-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

They could, wouldn't mind that reasoning if they're just looking to not completely ignore those. I don't ever see myself watching 3 and 4 again, so either way this is great news.
Old 02-25-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate how 3 ended the series but it was a good film, with good performances. Why disregard a quality film like that? Even after David Fincher finishes the film, the disrespect from Fox continues. Resurrection I have less qualms about being considered non-canon because it felt too much like a cheesy slasher film.
Old 02-25-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All right, now they just need to get Michael Biehn and Carrie Henn on board and this will be perfect. (I'm assuming Lance Henriksen is already in. Because, you know, Lance Henriksen wouldn't turn down a role if you told him you were paying him with poop.)
Old 02-25-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't thnk this movie needs to pretend anything after Aliens didn't happen.
If it takes place after Aliens and before # then they just didn't happen yet.
Old 02-25-15, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteelWill
The third and fourth movies were cryo dreams and that's always been so.
Agreed.

Newt lives!!
Old 02-25-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Agreed.

Newt lives!!
... and could be an even shittier actress than when she was a kid!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.