Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Watched SCOTLAND, PA Last Night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented Scotland, PA at my local Hollywood Video based (believe it or not) on an IMDb recommendation. Very, very extremely impressed by this movie. It is essentially a retelling of Shakespeare's [i]Macbeth[/b], set around the mileau of mid-1970's hamburger stands. It stars Maura Tierney, James LeGros and, in another stellar cameo, Christopher Walken.

The style was very reminiscent of the Coen brothers... very much like a Raising Arizona mixed with Fargo. It is funny, it is weird, it is moving and tragic... go out and rent it today.

Anyway, the writer and director was Billy Morrissette, who apparently has done nothing before and nothing since. Does anyone know anything about him, and what current projects he may be working on?
Old 06-26-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i rented this one not to long ago as well and found it very, very good. walken steals the show as "McDuff". very enjoyable film
Old 06-26-03, 08:37 AM

So get Mac and get Beth. Get a bunch of burgers, and watch Scotland, PA, a first-time directing/screen-writing effort by Billy Morrissette. Funny and weird with Maura Tierney, James LeGros, and Christopher Walken.
See Scotland, PA and you'll be watching out for what Morrissette does next.
As a trivia note, if you want to see Billy Morrissette, catch the "Mad About You" reruns where Lisa is engaged to Sanford Klarik. That's Morrissette.
J
Old 06-26-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A wonderful little sleeper film. Very different and entertaining. I think you really need to know Shakespeare's Macbeth to fully appreciate it, though.
Old 06-26-03, 09:14 AM

I can see what you're saying about knowing your MacBeth to fully appreciate what's going on, but I also think it's a good thing if something like Scotland, PA makes people curious about MacBeth, even if it's the Polanski version.
As the witches once said, "It couldn't hurt."
Old 06-26-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Billy Morrissette, besides being an actor that I'm sure you've seen in movies, is also married to Maura Tierney.
Old 06-26-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting to note that Morrissette said his purpose with this film was to make Macbeth accessible to the stoners (i.e. people like himself and his friends when they were in school). I think he accomplished that well.
Old 06-26-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this in the theater last year. It was out for like a week. I was very surprised at how much I laughed. And I already liked the cast, especially Tierney from her Newsradio days, Kevin Corrigan, Walken of course, and even Andy Dick's small part (again from Newsradio). Cool music too.

Originally posted by Boot
Interesting to note that Morrissette said his purpose with this film was to make Macbeth accessible to the stoners (i.e. people like himself and his friends when they were in school). I think he accomplished that well.
Yeah, I agree. That was what I liked a lot, just the way the cast really seemed to embrace the play without a bunch of smug self-satisfied smirking. You could tell that the cast was really enjoying their work.