Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

YES! "The Real Cancun" tanks at the box-office

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

YES! "The Real Cancun" tanks at the box-office

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Amen brother! They've been running an ad every single commerical break on MTV for it. I like to see a movie flop despite over-advertising.
Man, some people still watch MTV regularly? Everytime I turn it on I get the Real World or Road Rules or something similar. Just turn something decent on instead of complaining about the ads.
Old 04-29-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
Man, some people still watch MTV regularly? Everytime I turn it on I get the Real World or Road Rules or something similar. Just turn something decent on instead of complaining about the ads.
Seriously! Even worse? The former M2 (now MTV2). Man, I was in heaven when I first got satellite. That channel played EVERYTHING. And I discovered new artists and bands daily. All genres of music. Now? All rap. Every stinkin' time I turn the channel on. Morning, noon, night. Rap, rap, rap.

R.I.P. M2
Old 04-29-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was hilarious to hear Melissa River diss (On the E! channel) the "participants" of this movie for what they were wearing at the premiere of the movie. The wardrobe of the attendees wwas pretty tacky stuff.
Old 04-29-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoyalTea
are you not reading all the responses?!?

There are plenty of people who do not like the exploitation of everyday people in the form of "reality TV." They certainly don't want to see the trend of "reality movies" beginning.

If "The Real Cancun" is a raging success, we'll surely see A LOT more of these types of movies (something many people don't want to see). If "The Real Cancun" is a failure, it'll probably make a lot of studios think twice about releasing these types of movies.
and again, who cares?

let them.

let them waste their money.

let people be exploited.

its their problem.

its their fault.

if you dont go see the movie, then your life is not changed in any way - there is no reason to be happy about it bombing. it does nothing. just let it go is all im saying.

i do think its funny it bombed but again it doesnt bother me what happens cuz it doesnt affect me.
Old 04-29-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600
and again

*snip*

Go away.
Old 04-29-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok childern. Maybe I should sell a reality tv show to the networks. Just picture it.. Internet geeks fighting it out over who is right and who is full of it and trolling.. The winner at the end will get a whole lot of nothing, cause hell, thats what it's like fighting over the internet.. even if you win you still come up as the loser.
Old 04-29-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Daytripper
Go away.
lol. nice try though. hell ive been here just as long as you have and im not trolling. i just happen to disagree with you and find you to be overly sensitive. WHO CARES if they make the movies and they totally suck ass!? lol!
Old 04-29-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I avoid MTV like the plague. Nothing but rap and hiphop. Should be called Pop Music TV. But my fiancee watches it sometimes. She likes some of the music, I will refrain from flaming with my opinions of it. In about an hour, I saw a Real Cancun ad every single commerical break. That's like once every 7-8 min on MTV. Repeated viewing made me want to scream. THAT's why I want to see it bomb. Kill the "if we advertise it enough we will make money no matter how much it sucks" attitude of corporate America these days. Maybe they'll save the funding next time for a decent movie.
Old 04-29-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RoyalTea
are you not reading all the responses?!?

There are plenty of people who do not like the exploitation of everyday people in the form of "reality TV." They certainly don't want to see the trend of "reality movies" beginning.

If "The Real Cancun" is a raging success, we'll surely see A LOT more of these types of movies (something many people don't want to see). If "The Real Cancun" is a failure, it'll probably make a lot of studios think twice about releasing these types of movies.
There lies the rub, if this moving was a raging success doesn't that mean that many people do want reality movies made? Anyway I am glad that it did bomb because I personally do not like reality tv and I am certainly not looking forward to reality movies at the theater.
Old 04-29-03, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Mmmm... twins taking a shower. See, if they didn't put a fugging fat ass jock wannabe in there too, I'd have watched it.
Old 04-29-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600
lol. nice try though. hell ive been here just as long as you have and im not trolling. i just happen to disagree with you and find you to be overly sensitive. WHO CARES if they make the movies and they totally suck ass!? lol!
Atari, you just don't get it. And apparently you never will. At this point you're nothing but a broken record. There's nothing to disagree with.
Old 04-29-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting back on subject, just read the actual totals for the weekend. Seems that "The Real Cancun" made less than what was projected ($2.1). With an average of $932.00 per screen. Everyone who laughed before, join me in one more:

Old 04-29-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If you can't gloat over someone's failure that has nothing to do with you, what the hell's the point of the internet.
Old 04-29-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, everyone needs to calm down here. There is no trolling going on, but there is some

If you don't care about the movie, don't read the thread. Even though it seems as if you do care since you insist on continuing to post. Further comments along the line of "Who Cares" will not be tolerated.

Comments such as "Go Away" will not be allowed either...everyone is welcome here, even if their opinions do not agree with yours. Let's keep the thread civil.

Old 04-30-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Actually, I avoid MTV like the plague. Nothing but rap and hiphop. Should be called Pop Music TV. But my fiancee watches it sometimes. She likes some of the music, I will refrain from flaming with my opinions of it. In about an hour, I saw a Real Cancun ad every single commerical break. That's like once every 7-8 min on MTV. Repeated viewing made me want to scream. THAT's why I want to see it bomb. Kill the "if we advertise it enough we will make money no matter how much it sucks" attitude of corporate America these days. Maybe they'll save the funding next time for a decent movie.
Wait a minute, lemme get something straight here.....

MTV plays music?!?!?
Old 04-30-03, 01:23 AM

Was there ever any doubt that this movie would bomb? haha I never even saw the preview for this "movie" until a couple weeks ago, but prior to that, I was wondering why there were so many deceptive shots of boobage on Moviefone et al. *smack*
Old 04-30-03, 03:04 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you Moderators for stepping in. However, if I
can say just one last thing. I usually only lurk
around here, but the problem in this thread got so
bad, I felt the need to speak up. Here we had a group
of people who were trying to discuss the failure of
this film. And yes, poke fun of it. Nothing wrong with
that. And then there were a couple of people who came
onboard for the sole purpose of stirring things up and
to provoke a fight. Repeatedly I might add. If that's
not trolling, I don't know what is. As far as them
being told to go away. Well, I thought that was rather
polite and civil given the circumstances. I definitely
would not have been that nice. Sure everyone is
welcome here. I don't think that was ever the issue.
But behaving this way? I certainly hope not.
Old 04-30-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sweetp, The mod's already addressed the issue. Maybe if you jumped back onto the topic it wouldn't go off to a trolling topic anymore. in two words... Drop it.
Old 04-30-03, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Sweetp, The mod's already addressed the issue. Maybe if you jumped back onto the topic it wouldn't go off to a trolling topic anymore. in two words... Drop it.
First, thanks to you SweetP for your post. And to the Mods for intervening. Especially to show us how foolish we were.

And Jack, he/she did say if they could say "one last thing". That to me would indicate they are dropping it.
Old 04-30-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

id also like to say i was not trolling. i posted what i actually felt. i wasnt trying to incite anything.
Old 04-30-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So instead of trolling now and staying off the subject of the thread, we are not trying to state those who were not trolling and we are still off the subject. Daytripper, my take is this, as long as someone tries to have "the last word", it will continue..

Now for the said topic... Advertisers are trying NOT to buy ad space on reality tv because it cheapens their product. this will bring about more scripted shows next year. You have to understand though, Many scripted shows will not survive and will be canned mid-season. The Stations will try to come up with something quick to put in their place. One trick is easy.. reality shows. they are cheap and can be made quickly. so this is the way it goes. I don't like reality shows at all. But it is something that the stations will put in failed shows place. Now the real question is how much will they put considering the amount they lost over this last season. ABC was the clear loser with just about every one of there reality shows failing to get ratings. They will be looking at a lot more comedies next year and skipping the reality crap.

In all this failure at the box office for the real cancun strikes a victory for those who hate reality tv because now studios see that we do not want to see someone's vaction video's on the big screen. I'm glad they realize this, though you have to expect that the reality films that are in the process of being made are going to come out. if they fail, then it just puts more nails into that coffen.
Old 04-30-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't know ABC floundered, as i thought the Bachelor or Bachelorette or whatever did pretty well... at least well enough that we continue to see new versions. Survivor continues to do well, as does American Idol... and FOX's Mr. Personality was a hit last week too. I haven't heard anything about advertisers being unwilling to buy space during these shows... quite frankly the last thing on my mind when watching a show is 'wow, what's an ad for ____ doing here'. I was under the impression that as an advertiser, you try and get as many people as possible to see your product, and right now the ratings for reality tv are still pretty high.
Old 04-30-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was in the business section of the los angeles times. a pretty nice article about it. as for ABC.. it faced very hard failures:

Are you hot
I'm A celeberity, get me out of here
the family

three shows ABC failed at and are looking to stay away from reality tv if they can.
Old 04-30-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
don't forget "all american girl" which ABC kicked over the ABC Family for the final two or three eps..
Old 05-09-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow - this DID disappear fast.

How bad did it bomb? (Yay...)