Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that have scenes sort of copied from another movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that have scenes sort of copied from another movie

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monsters, Inc. When Sully thinks Boo is in the trash copactor, his facial expressions are the same as the dog in the Chuck Jones cartoon "Feed The Kitty".

In My Family (Mi Familia), the final scene is a shot-for-shot duplicate of the final scene of The World Of Apu. This will forever be known as the most obscure homage/ripoff in history...

In Bulletproof Monk, we see Chow Yun-Fat artfully using the good-old two guns again.

In Resident Evil, troops enter a wall-lit room that turns out to be booby-trapped with lasers, that inevitabley cuts one of the cahracters into many, many pieces. It's very similar to the opening of Cube.

While we're on the subject of Anderson, it's worth pointing out that Event Horizon is full of bits ripped out of the book Sphere. Not the film, mind.

And, of course, Star Wars, whose pivotal fly-through-the-canyon-and-hit-the-target is apparently taken right out of 633 Squadron.

There's a ton more, but I must be off to mass. Good Friday an' all...
Old 04-18-03, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't the slow-mo scene from Resevoir Dogs and subsequently Swingers both rip off the original Ocean's Eleven? I haven't seen it, but I believe there's a scene like that.

ID4 had a scene just like in the Right Stuff where Will Smith it walking away from the plane crash.

Umm, tons more...
Old 04-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
[slight hijack] In Indy, the car Indy and his pop are in is a stolen car. They leave that car in the ditch made by the German pilot. The car that Sallah's in law owns is an entirely different car [/slight hijack]
Old 04-27-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen decent quality mainstream movies (not direct to video stuff) that actually used footage from other movies, kind of like how the tv show JAG has used footage from Top Gun and Hunt For Red October. I'll try to find some examples

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-27-03 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-27-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm not sure which Indiana Jones movie it is, but there is an almost direct rip-off in Disney's The Three Musketeers when Oliver Platt cuts the rope to a trap door on a ship, causing his foe to fall into the galley. a similar scene happens in one of the Indy movies where he shoots the ninja. i hope this makes sense!
-di doctor-
Old 04-27-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

While we're on the subject of Anderson, it's worth pointing out that Event Horizon is full of bits ripped out of the book Sphere. Not the film, mind.
It's also worth pointing out that Sphere, like everything else ever typed by Michael Crichton, is a grab bag/pastiche of elments, scenes and ideas from other, better sources.

Another notable homage is Jim Jarmusch's use of the "Shooting-through-the-pipes" scene in Ghost Dog, which is a direct take on a similar scene from Branded To Kill.

Jim's always acknowledged that, and encouraged people to see the original.
Old 04-27-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The second Bill & Ted film played on original series Star Trek in parts, using the same big rock (on the Paramount backlot, I suppose) as a set a few times.
In the scene where the evil Bill and Ted are in their bedroom trying to hit on good Bill and Ted's girlfriends, the said episode from Star Trek with the big rock is on their TV.
Old 04-27-03, 05:37 AM
Cool New Member

The virgin Mary figure shot to pieces in Leon seems to be a homage to The Killer.

The ear cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs seems to be a homage to Django.
Old 04-27-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
According to Peter Jackson on his LOTR commentary, the shot of the Hobbit(Proudfeet/Proudfoot) with his hairy feet up and smoking at Bilbo's party comes right from the RALPH BAKSHI animated LOTR.
Old 04-27-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The opening scene in Flight Club borrows from Blue and the opening of The Player was inspired by Rope.
Old 04-27-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much of The Phantom Menace is a direct homage to Kurasawa. Scenes such as the Gungans coming out of the foggy swamp were taken from Seven Samurai. It also borrowed heavily from the Flash Gordon serials.

In Attack of the Clones the Anakin/Padme/R2 walking around the palace scene was taken from Lawrence of Arabia.

Lucas "borrowed" or used as homage more things than I can possibly remember. Go to theforce.net and look at some of the comparison shots from the Star War films and the Kurasawa films.

Friday the 13th 1&2 : the death scenes were copied from Bay of Blood.
Old 04-28-03, 07:01 AM

Iron Giant vs Shallow Hal

When Giant plunge into the pool .. when Rosemary plunge into the pool.
Old 04-28-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Requiem For a Dream ripped off a scene from Perfect Blue.

Here's the screen comparison (that I'm so proud of and always willing to post whenever applicable) that I put together a few years ago...

Old 04-28-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene where Indy nonchalantly blows away the dude with the big knives after his dramatic blade-spinning performance is copied almost exactly in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.
Old 04-28-03, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by audrey
The opening scene in Flight Club borrows from Blue
How so? I don't see any similarity.
Old 04-28-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

Here's the screen comparison (that I'm so proud of and always willing to post whenever applicable) that I put together a few years ago...

If you look at the DVD Freeze Frame thread in the DVDTalk forum, you'll see that the final shot of Requiem for a Dream is lifted from the final shot of Dark City.
Old 04-28-03, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

Another notable homage is Jim Jarmusch's use of the "Shooting-through-the-pipes" scene in Ghost Dog, which is a direct take on a similar scene from Branded To Kill.

Jim's always acknowledged that, and encouraged people to see the original.
It's worth pointing out that just about everything in that movie is copied from either Suzuki, Kurosawa, or Melville.
Old 04-28-03, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DarthMaul420

Lucas "borrowed" or used as homage more things than I can possibly remember. Go to theforce.net and look at some of the comparison shots from the Star War films and the Kurasawa films.
After looking around Force.net for as long as I'm willing I couldn't find this. Can you give a link or point me in the right direction?
Old 05-06-03, 09:29 PM

This is sort off topic but why not...

Dark City is a rip off of the Mister X comic book.

Cube is a rip off of the Harlan Ellison short story, "I Have no mouth and I Must scream." Cube 2 took the one remaining element of the short story (regeneration) that wasn't used in the first movie and (poorly) tried to make a movie of that .

To my knowledge neither Director has acknowledge this information, which in the case of Dark City is particularly disturbing based on the amount of material that was taken and the directors historical work in the comics field...

I liked those Requiem/Blue shots comparos; Nice Work!
Old 05-06-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

Apparently Arronofsky purchased the remake rights for Perfect Blue, just so he'd be able to use that scene... although didn't he say on the commentary how genius that scene was (the Req. scene, not Perfect Blue)

As for the Dark City/Requiem connection, didn't Arronofsky claim that that was coincidental, that he hadn't seen Dark City until after they had filmed that scene?
Old 05-06-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I just saw Shanghai Knights, and had to laugh at the Singin' in the Rain fight scene...
Old 05-07-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I think Arronofsky is a bit of an overrated hack - he's capable of making good cinema, but it's all more or less based on stuff he's watched rather than him creating something unique. I like his movies and don't think that's entirely a bad thing.
Old 05-07-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Casablanca's "Marseillaise" scene looks back to the one in The Grand Illusion.
Old 05-07-03, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Wazootyman
Apparently Arronofsky purchased the remake rights for Perfect Blue, just so he'd be able to use that scene...
Why would he do that? You don't have to buy the remake rights to rip off a scene. If that were the case De Palma would own remake rights to every Hitchcock film, and Jim Jarmusch would own the rights to all of Jean Pierre Mellvile.
Old 05-07-03, 01:51 PM

Reservoir Dogs ripped off its whole concept and plot from City on Fire (starring Chow Yun Fat).

The Matrix ripped off some of its fight scenes directly from Fist of Legend (starring Jet Li). Both movies had the same choreographer as well (Yuen Woo Ping).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.