Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Punisher" trailer song title...

Can anyone ID the song/track playing during this trailer ?
Old 10-19-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Punisher poster

Heres the new Punisher poster.

Old 10-19-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's the actor?

Old 10-19-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahhhhhh!!!. I cannot STAND that actor. He looks like such a wuss. I truly do not understand how the hell the studios/creators approved him as Frank Drake. Also, I'm pretty sure that, that poster is just a Tim Bradstreet drawing w/ the actors head digitally inserted.
Old 10-19-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does Frank Drake dispense his own brand of harsh justice with tasty coffee cakes? Last I checked, Marvel heroes only used Hostesses to fight evil.
Old 10-19-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sessa17
Ahhhhhh!!!. I cannot STAND that actor. He looks like such a wuss. I truly do not understand how the hell the studios/creators approved him as Frank Drake.
Frank Drake? Do you mean Frank Castle?
Old 10-19-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, the poster is ok...but Thomas Jane just doesn't look that tough. But you know, I'll give him a chance. I'm more concerned about A) first time director and writer of many a Bruckheimer movie, Johnathan Hensleigh and B) John Travolta. I mean, it's Travolta, his movies often times...suck.

But let's hope for the best. While the talent involved doesn't impress me, you never know. I'd love to see a gritty rough and tunble Punisher movie. At least the poster looks pretty cool.
Old 10-19-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by McHawkson
Frank Drake? Do you mean Frank Castle?
I guess, I can't stand the Punisher so clearly I don't know much about the character. All I do know is if that guy is suppose to be an intimidating character that calls himself the Punisher, I hope the movie is suppose to be a comedy.
Old 10-19-03, 10:09 PM

I like Jane and Travolta, and it was filmed across the Bay from me in Tampa. I'll probably see it. I'm not expecting much though. Can't be worse than the other crappy superhero movies coming. Lots of people are complaining that Jane doesn't look " hard enough ", or " believable " as a killing machine. Isn't it more dynamic and interesting to have a sort of mild mannered and normal looking guy being thrust into a hardcore vendetta after the death of his family? I think it could add more depth to the story, rather than a " musclebound, invincible psycho vs. 500 soon to be dead mob guys " type of story. Maybe that type of shallow stuff is cool in comic books, but it would look stupid on the big screen. I don't know anything about this comic, or this character, so don't tear me a new one.
Old 10-19-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Punisher has long been my fave comic...even though I havent read in years, but the script should have been pretty decent being based off the recent Garth Ennis storyline, which was phenominal. Personally, I can't wait for this movie. Even if it sucks (like the Dolph one) I'll love it.
Old 10-20-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Sessa17
I guess, I can't stand the Punisher so clearly I don't know much about the character. All I do know is if that guy is suppose to be an intimidating character that calls himself the Punisher, I hope the movie is suppose to be a comedy.

"Ahhhhhh!!!. I cannot STAND that actor. He looks like such a wuss. I truly do not understand how the hell the studios/creators approved him as Frank Drake."
the funny thing about this comment is that it sounds like a fan of the punisher unhappy with the casting, then we find out you just dislike the character and the actor. so what was the point in commenting. If someone hates zombie films and complains about the way dawn of the dead looks, it makes little sense. either way, I'm on a wait and see on this whole thing. hopefully it will be cool, it sure as hell can't be worse the the original movie with Duffy. atleast this punisher has the skull on his shirt.
Old 10-20-03, 12:57 AM
Banned

I think the poster is great. Very slick, very cool. I just don't have too high hopes for this film. Hopefully it will be good. I think it'll open big for the star power alone, although I agree a "tougher" looking guy would be good. Lots of the photos show Thomas Jane looking grumpy and frowning rather than psycho which a Puinsher should be.

And haha, look at the obligatory double fisted gun holding. One of the Underworld Posters (the 2nd version that isn't seen too often) has a "serious" looking Kate Beckinsale in the exact same pose, holding the two pistols while staring straight ahead. We owe all this to John Woo. Same with Bad Boys 2. Everyone's holding two guns now.

Wouldn't it be funny to have Dolph Lungdren play him again?

Last edited by UKingdom; 10-20-03 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aaah, Artisan pictures.

"From the people that brought you House Of The Dead..."

Not a big fan of the poster, myself. Looks like too many other posters.
Saw a nice custom cover art for the existing DVD that looked like this though - only it was a white cover, with Punisher lit from behind, and the shadow cast in front was the skull. Interesting look to it, I think it was a comic book scan.
Old 10-20-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the important thing that most people are forgetting when ti comes to Frank Castle (ya know the Punisher?) is that he is an ordinary man who takes it upon himself to seek vengance, and is not some commando. He does this after losing everything he held so dear in his life. Also the Punisher yes often looks like a rugged tough guy, I think this approach is good and I hope it turns out to be a decent flick, hell cant be any worse than House of The Dead.
Old 10-20-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by UKingdom
We owe all this to John Woo.
Actually its this guy we owe it to: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0578483/ .
Old 10-20-03, 07:34 AM
Banned

Thomas Jane may not look tough but he has to be one of the best actors a comic book movie has had as their leading hero.
Old 10-20-03, 09:16 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
Thomas Jane may not look tough but he has to be one of the best actors a comic book movie has had as their leading hero.
I agree - he is the main reason I will be seeing this movie.
Old 10-20-03, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by zero
I think the important thing that most people are forgetting when ti comes to Frank Castle (ya know the Punisher?) is that he is an ordinary man who takes it upon himself to seek vengance, and is not some commando.

Umm in my book, yes he is! The Punisher I know and love, (Limited series 1-5, Punisher 1 to 30, Wall Journal 1 to 15, War Zone 1 to 12), was as bad ass marine in Vietnam who just returned to his bad-self when his family was wiped out. Now I know they've tinkered with the character since I stoped collecting, but that's how I want him to be, not a sympathetic career counselor on Dawson’s Creek.
Old 10-20-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The poster looks cool.

Looking forward to this flick.
Old 10-20-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by UKingdom
I think the poster is great. Very slick, very cool. I just don't have too high hopes for this film. Hopefully it will be good. I think it'll open big for the star power alone, although I agree a "tougher" looking guy would be good. Lots of the photos show Thomas Jane looking grumpy and frowning rather than psycho which a Puinsher should be.

Wouldn't it be funny to have Dolph Lungdren play him again?
i personally think that Dolph was the perfect punisher... & i mean P-E-R-F-E-C-T!
i mean, c'mon.. he's tall, big, muscullar, good shape square jaw (damn those jaw) & he looks like someone who doesn't care about anything...

it just the way they made the movie that make everything else looks like another B-movie....

i don't know about this new Punisher...
but by looking at the big white skull logo on his shirt, really turn me off...
Punisher is supposed to be a bad-ass psycho superhero... NOT psycho halloween boy

just my thought
Old 10-20-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by sho kosugi
Umm in my book, yes he is! The Punisher I know and love, (Limited series 1-5, Punisher 1 to 30, Wall Journal 1 to 15, War Zone 1 to 12), was as bad ass marine in Vietnam who just returned to his bad-self when his family was wiped out. Now I know they've tinkered with the character since I stoped collecting, but that's how I want him to be, not a sympathetic career counselor on Dawson’s Creek.

Watch a lot of Dawson there do ya? Ok WAS a badass not currently IS. and Hello? Vietnam? That was how many years ago?? And if you read your post I think you've covered the direction they are going to take this movie. But just because the actor they have casted doesnt look anything like youd imagine him to doesnt mean he cant be intimadating. I think if you get off of your fanboy high horse, and wait for the movie to come out then you can sling all the insults about the casting choice, but until then why not wait and see? Granted many casting choices that have come before this werent great in the eyes of a lot of people (i.e the Kingpin) but give it the chance to prove your point.
Old 10-20-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
I've always liked Thomas Jane - so I will w/hold judgement on this one and remain optimistic and hope it turns out for the better.
Old 10-20-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Reminds me of Max Payne
Old 10-20-03, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by zero
Watch a lot of Dawson there do ya? Ok WAS a badass not currently IS. and Hello? Vietnam? That was how many years ago?? And if you read your post I think you've covered the direction they are going to take this movie. But just because the actor they have casted doesnt look anything like youd imagine him to doesnt mean he cant be intimadating. I think if you get off of your fanboy high horse, and wait for the movie to come out then you can sling all the insults about the casting choice, but until then why not wait and see? Granted many casting choices that have come before this werent great in the eyes of a lot of people (i.e the Kingpin) but give it the chance to prove your point.
Easy there…

Never said anything about not giving the movie a fair chance. (For the record I’ve done that with all recent Marvel films, some have disappointed some have not). When a character’s already established in one’s mind, it’s only natural to be a bit apprehensive when the person cast doesn’t seem the part. Right now the guy in the poster doesn’t seem to portray the attributes I liked in the Punisher*. Maybe he’ll pull it off by other means, we’ll have to see.

* As I admitted to in my pervious post, I haven’t collected the Punisher comic since the early 90’s. I could be way behind the times. Is he now a everyday Joe-blow before his family incident, and not a “commando”? When I was reading the comic one of the aspects I enjoyed was the returning to his former self. Also, the mixture of brutality and intelligence with which he wages his war seems more credible with a war veteran than some random guy.

Let’s lay off the fan-boy labeling please.
Old 10-20-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts
I hate to sound like the typical close minded dvdtalker...I think this one will suck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.