Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

8 Mile should of been better

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was writing/directing a movie about Eminem, I would of went into much farther detail showing his rise to fame up to where he is now. Sorta of like Boogie Nights or Blow. But that's just the way I would of done it. It was still decent though. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-02, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His music isn't the greatest thing ever, but at least he can consistantly make music that is controversial, envigorating, and just plain NEVER BORING.

Why then did he choose to be in such a boring, formulaic, unimaginative, and never clever film?

And why is the music so bad/non-existant?
Old 11-13-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
But as many have stated, the movie is not about HIS LIFE. Oh the list of movies that should have been better if only I was directing, editing, doing cg for, etc. etc.
Old 11-13-02, 09:25 PM

8 Mile (2002) - *** (out of 4)
Let me start by saying, I had little knowledge about Eminem before going to see this movie. I am a fan of rap music up until the early 90s, but haven't been too interested in anything that I've heard recently. I can't name you an Eminem song and the few minutes of his music that I'd heard before this movie definitely weren't my style. When I saw a preview for this movie, it looked like it might be mildly interesting, but definitely wasn't on my must see list by any means. Yesterday I read my good friend Vince's review of the movie at Qwipster's Movie Reviews and decided to go see it. It was a good modern story reminiscent of the old school days where rappers would "battle" each other with freestyle raps. I love the scene where B. Rabbit dogs the guy in the lunch line who is making fun of other people. Back in the day, these battles were common. Rappers Kool Moe Dee and L.L. Cool J had an ongoing feud and each would come out with songs dissing (before dissing was a word) each other. But more commonly, it was just a way to trash your enemies in the street in a non-violent manner or a little good-natured ribbing among your friends. The overall story was a semi-autobiographical tale of a young man struggling against the odds to make it big. Not knowing Eminem's story, I can't say how close this movie is to his life, but it's a pretty good story. Though fairly typical and predictable, it's well acted especially by Eminem and Kim Basinger. I think it's safe to say that I won't become a big fan of Eminem's music, but he was good in this movie.
Old 11-13-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Pants
His music isn't the greatest thing ever, but at least he can consistantly make music that is controversial, envigorating, and just plain NEVER BORING.
IMO his first two albums are some of the adjectives you've used. His latest is just plain boring.
Why then did he choose to be in such a boring, formulaic, unimaginative, and never clever film?
He was shopping a time worn story to the TRL generation that missed out on Flashdance, Fame, & Purple Rain.
And why is the music so bad/non-existant?
Umm...he wanted to be consistent with his latest album?
Old 11-13-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought he was a decent actor. My main problem was that the film didn't really go anywhere. I thought it would take more chances and show more than just a week in this guy's life. And the ending built up to a high and then just ended.

Matt
Old 11-13-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think it needed more plot development. Especially between eminem and "his girl". i don't think they interacted enough to establish a relationship. I did enjoy the movie, and hope Eminem will go onto some other acting projects.
Old 11-14-02, 02:16 AM

Re: 8 Mile should of been better

Originally posted by lesterlong
The title of this thread should have been:

"8 Mile" should have been better.

Sorry for the intrusion. Grammar lesson has been concluded. Resume your discussion.
Old 11-14-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

8 Mile = The Karate Kid

They followed basically the same plot.

Karate = Rapping
elizabeth shue = some ho
Cobra Chi = new world (or whatever it was called)
mr. myogi = his small group of friends that advised him
the mom = drunken kim bassinger that looked like hell
bonsai tree = his little sister that had as much impact/personality in the film as a freekin tree
They both even had the same crappy car that always broke down... it might of even of been the same car!
just move the location to detroit and give all the actors some liquor, weed and some ghetto swagger.
pretty much a shi**y movie. 1 star out of 4
1/2 star for kim bassinger's ass they show in the beginning (before her face thank god)
1/2 star for some of the battles that were sort of funny
bad acting from everyone

Predictable, cliche, horrible horrible horrible.

I'm even a slight fan of his music

Last edited by schlitz100; 11-14-02 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 11:25 AM
Banned

I agree with you schlitz, but it's the Cobra Chi
Old 11-14-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks, changed
Old 11-14-02, 11:36 AM
Banned

"There is no PAIN, in this dogo!"

"No sensai!"
Old 11-14-02, 11:57 AM

And they're all Rocky ripoffs...and Rocky probably was a ripoff of some other movies.
Old 11-14-02, 12:33 PM
Banned

[sarcasm]The Karate Kid was a rip off of Rocky??? How could it be??? [/sarcasm]

Oh wait, they have the same director.

Along with The Power of One they form a trilogy of sorts.