Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by KDeering
Josh,

You are definately right about the whites and contrast. I actually think the film was dumped to video and then mastered to DVD from there. That would also explain the horrific flagging issues as well.

Lets hope the eventual R1 release will be a big improvement. I am hoping that Columbia gives this the Superbit treatment like they did Crouching Tiger.
Might be a while. I believe it gets a US theatrical release in Dec.
Old 10-28-04, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i totally agree w/ the contrast issues - i can't imagine how much more of an annoyance it is for those w/ reference quality equipment.
On a side note:
Anyone experience a slight "hiccup" at the 19:09 mark (on their CH-500)? i played it on other players/ROMS and it seemed fine - or at least not as noticible.
Old 10-28-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with everyone questioning the video quality. It wasnt the best, and I am someone who rarely notices stuff like that. The DTS seemed pretty good on mine actually, but I dont have the best equipment in the whole world. All in all though, I actually thought the movie was better than Hero, as some have pointed out. Yes the begining was a little slow, but once it got into the heart of the story, I really got into it.
Old 10-29-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I bought the disc kind of figuring that I would end up double-dipping at a future date (after all, the disc is not that expensive and bare bones) which is why I probably am not more upset over the picture quality. If you go into your purchase with that in mind, meaning you just want to own it now and trade or sell it later when a better version comes along, I think the disc serves its purpose.
Old 10-30-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DrGerbil
YMMV, but yesasia is mighty fast, even with standard shipping. To the east coast, it took only 3 days...
You west coast boys are fortunate. I've used Yesasia around 10 times and always go with Supersaver. Always takes 7-8 business days to get to east coast ... at least the northern parts.

Don't have a problem with this or anything else with the site though.
Old 10-31-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, can't say I enjoyed the movie, I just couldn't get into it. Actually, I fell asleep near the end so didn't even see the last 30 minutes. I don't know, I did not find it emotional, it felt like 'overacting' as to how the caracters expressed their love and how quickly they fell for each other.

I was suprised that YesAsia ships from Canada on our orders so the price was right, no taxes or customs, took 7-8 days to eastern Canada with the supersaver
Old 10-31-04, 11:50 PM

I also didn't like it. It was a beautiful film visually, but this was its only virtue. The plot was ridiculous. The acting was fine, considering that they didn't have much to work with. Paper thin characters, nonsensical plot twists, and emotional vacuums could make this a contender for most overrated film of the year.
Old 11-01-04, 01:36 AM

I have a roommate and he's from Taiwan, we got to talking about Asian cinema, and I mentioned that I had just seen House of Flying Daggers. He said that in Asia, Yimou Zhang is not well-liked. He's considered to be all flash with no substance. Take it for what its worth. I personally did not like House of Flying Daggers, I couldn't get into the story that much. It was a good movie. I was disappointed though.
Old 11-01-04, 07:39 AM

deleted... don't want to spoil things for people who haven't seen it. I'll PM the person who was asking about what threw some people off.
Old 11-01-04, 08:11 AM

I just got the dvd from cdwow and it is a very very cheap dvd, the cover looks like it was printed on some old printer, you can see all the lines! its shocking quality! and the dvd art is the same, if ever there was a pirate looking dvd, this is it absolutly shocking dvd even for the cheap assed price, none would think it was real at all if I gave it to them!
Old 11-01-04, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Romerojpg
I just got the dvd from cdwow and it is a very very cheap dvd, the cover looks like it was printed on some old printer, you can see all the lines!
I see the lines on the front cover graphic, but it looks as if they were intended to be there, a kind of linen effect. The rest of the cover insert printing and the printing on the dvd look ok to me.
Old 11-01-04, 01:23 PM

No its definalty not suposed to be there, its crap printing, mine dont even fit the box right and the colours aint aligned right either! Pirates do better.
Old 11-01-04, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Joe1086
I have a roommate and he's from Taiwan, we got to talking about Asian cinema, and I mentioned that I had just seen House of Flying Daggers. He said that in Asia, Yimou Zhang is not well-liked. He's considered to be all flash with no substance. Take it for what its worth. I personally did not like House of Flying Daggers, I couldn't get into the story that much. It was a good movie. I was disappointed though.
All flash? Hmm, I don't know about that.

The Road Home, To Live, and Shanghai Triad had excellent stories. The rest of his movies may have even been better but I haven't been able to catch them yet. IMO, The House of Flying Daggers would rate low in story compared to his other movies but I was still satisfied.
Old 11-01-04, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by khai
All flash? Hmm, I don't know about that.

The Road Home, To Live, and Shanghai Triad had excellent stories. The rest of his movies may have even been better but I haven't been able to catch them yet. IMO, The House of Flying Daggers would rate low in story compared to his other movies but I was still satisfied.
Sorry, let me clarify. I meant to say it is only in regards to his recent action movies, specifically Hero and House of Flying Daggers.
Old 11-03-04, 10:10 AM

If you liked those three films, definitely make an effort to see Zhang Yimou's earlier work. Red Sorghum, Judou and Raise the Red Lantern are great films. Unfortunately, there are no high quality DVD releases of these masterpieces.
Old 11-04-04, 07:50 AM

Does anyone have a UPC for this movie, so I can add it to my DVDProfiler list?

-JR
Old 11-04-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The packaging doesn't have a UPC. I manually submitted it using the YesAsia catalog # 1003540259, but it has not been approved yet.
Old 11-04-04, 02:02 PM

Anyone know how many discs come with the Starmax version?

I pre-ordered this from DVD Asian
Old 11-05-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bosskmr
Anyone know how many discs come with the Starmax version?

I pre-ordered this from DVD Asian
Starmax version??? Is that a new version?

I´m only aware of the EDKO version?
Old 11-05-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dane
Starmax version??? Is that a new version?

I´m only aware of the EDKO version?
http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=SxI7FMWK

Out November 25th
Old 11-05-04, 11:42 AM

Hope it will be a new transfer, I don't see DTS track listed though.
Old 11-05-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I assume those are publicity stills, not screen caps? They look much better than the Edko DVD.
Old 11-05-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What other new asian kung fu action movies you guys recommend. I'm not talking about those dubbed ones you see on tv. Ones with really good action. Thanks.
Old 11-05-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
I assume those are publicity stills, not screen caps? They look much better than the Edko DVD.
Yes. Considering how shoddy the transfer is on the Edko, I'd expect a vast improvement.
Old 11-08-04, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by thunnus
If you liked those three films, definitely make an effort to see Zhang Yimou's earlier work. Red Sorghum, Judou and Raise the Red Lantern are great films. Unfortunately, there are no high quality DVD releases of these masterpieces.
Which is why I still haven't seen them yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.