Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,699 Likes on 2,659 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

I pre-ordered this from Target a few weeks ago and it won't arrive until Thursday according to the UPS tracking. UPS is so fucking slow. I should have just driven to Target (5 minutes away) and bought it today.

Only advantage of the Target order was getting the $5 GC.
Old 04-04-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,256 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I still see all the Star Wars steelbooks all over the place, both new in the stores and at the used movie stores. Those were *way* over produced, especially since they were the same discs in all the previous sets.
As much as I like to laugh at the over production of these steelbooks, I'd still rather that be the case so people who want a steelbook can actually get one. Advertising a store exclusive steelbook only for it to be sold out 3 minutes after the store opens is fucking ridiculous!

Frankly, as far as consumers go, the only ones who are hurt by over production of steelbooks is the resellers and I couldn't give two shits about them.
Old 04-04-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,297 Likes on 4,306 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
As much as I like to laugh at the over production of these steelbooks, I'd still rather that be the case so people who want a steelbook can actually get one. Advertising a store exclusive steelbook only for it to be sold out 3 minutes after the store opens is fucking ridiculous!

Frankly, as far as consumers go, the only ones who are hurt by over production of steelbooks is the resellers and I couldn't give two shits about them.
I'd argue that as a Steelbook collector, there is something inherently cooler about having a rare Steelbook -- even if you never plan on selling it. Owning something in a collection that few people have ever seen is way more exciting than owning something that is readily available in clearance bins.
Old 04-04-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,256 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'd argue that as a Steelbook collector, there is something inherently cooler about having a rare Steelbook -- even if you never plan on selling it. Owning something in a collection that few people have ever seen is way more exciting than owning something that is readily available in clearance bins.
You make a valid point and I agree. I think it's a fine line for steelbooks. I'm not a huge steelbook collector but I do collect the DC animated steelbooks. As much as I enjoy it, it's frustrating to have to hit 5 Targets on release day morning to find the steelbook I'm looking for (and even then might not get one).

There seems to be a happy medium that retailers haven't identified yet. I don't see what's so hard about ordering enough steelbooks to fulfill demand for 2 or 3 weeks rather than enough to last the first 5 minutes or having surplus a year and a half later. (and for fuck's sake, enforce a limit on how many someone can buy at a time!)

Sometimes I wonder if there's a trained monkey doing the blu-ray ordering at Target and Best Buy.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-04-17 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 07:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I pre-ordered this from Target a few weeks ago and it won't arrive until Thursday according to the UPS tracking. UPS is so fucking slow. I should have just driven to Target (5 minutes away) and bought it today.

got mine today. ship shape.

if anyone gets a chance to see in 3D, let us know how it was, the 3D presentation, etc...
Old 04-04-17, 08:15 PM

i actually like the size and bulk of Target Exclusive ONLY because it kinda goes along with THA 3D. otherwise, kinda glad i'm over look over substance.

Old 04-04-17, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
got mine today. ship shape.

if anyone gets a chance to see in 3D, let us know how it was, the 3D presentation, etc...
It's a much better 3D presentation than Force Awakens. I enjoyed this a lot in 3D at home. I had a miserable experience at the IMAX screen, mostly because they updated the projector from passive to active. It was very nice seeing it at home without getting distracted and nauseous. But it's a good 3D presentation.
Old 04-04-17, 08:36 PM

ok. sounds good. i was just gonna watch digital, but really got to figure out that calibration before i pop it in. ugh! that'll be years...
Old 04-04-17, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not years, but plan about 1-2 hours so you can do it right. Then test out Rogue One after. You'll thank yourself and us for it.
Old 04-04-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greydt
For those who got the Target version, did yours come with a digital version? I feel kinda stupid even asking, but I looked through the whole thing a few few times but nada. Does it come on a slip of paper with a code on it?
Yes. A clear cellophane wrap containing one paper sheet about the same size as the usual paper slips with a cardboard card attached. That cardboard card had the code printed on it.
Old 04-05-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i actually like the size and bulk of Target Exclusive ONLY because it kinda goes along with THA 3D. otherwise, kinda glad i'm over look over substance.
I'm in the graphic arts and have always, ever since I was a kid, had an appreciation for attractive, well designed packaging over and above it's purely utilitarian function. Not talking about the labels for soup cans or Swanson dinners- but any kind of toy or record or book etc that I was interested in.
It was part and parcel of the whole experience for me.

After making it to Target at 8 am and picking up the 3D set I decided I didn't have the enthusiasm to drag out the decision of which one to keep.
I still like the trays better in the Steel, but this one is OK. Once it gets watched it will just reside in a rubbermaid tub for several months/years anyway till I get the urge to watch it again anyway.

Good to hear the 3D was well implemented. I'm thinking I may save that viewing for down the road and just watch it in 2D for a first viewing.
Old 04-05-17, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I really like the packageing for the Target exclusive, the cards are in a holder spot so they dont fall out so it makes it pretty neat to me
Old 04-05-17, 06:29 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

Amazon finally has the BD+DVD+DHD listed for sale (@ $19.99) but they're "temporarily out of stock and will ship as soon as it's available". Who knows if it will even still have the slipcover by the time they actually get it in...
Old 04-05-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Same issue here. My Target order page says arrival "BY" April 4, but it didn't arrive yesterday and the UPS tracking says it was turned over to the local post office for delivery later this week. Why does UPS turn stuff over to the post office? I hope Target packed it in a box, because if it's in an envelope, I have no doubt the USPS will completely destroy it - which means I'll be marching it down to my local Target for an exchange.
Old 04-05-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Why does UPS turn stuff over to the post office?
Because it's not "really" UPS. A proper UPS delivery has UPS handling a package from start to finish. A lot of online retailers use UPS Mail Innovations, where UPS cycles a package through their system part of the way, and then it's handed off to USPS for the actual delivery. Sometimes it'll pass through multiple post offices. (I live in the suburbs, so UPS MI will hand it off to the Greenville post office, and then they hand it off to my local post office that drops it on my doorstep.) UPS MI is cheaper for the retailer but definitely slower.
Old 04-05-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

BB actually put my SB in a box and it was delivered by UPS. I guess they figured people were complaining about dents. First time they delivered a SB in a box to me.
Old 04-05-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
BB actually put my SB in a box and it was delivered by UPS. I guess they figured people were complaining about dents. First time they delivered a SB in a box to me.
Same here, in a box from BB & delivered by Fed-Ex yesterday.
Old 04-05-17, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yes. A clear cellophane wrap containing one paper sheet about the same size as the usual paper slips with a cardboard card attached. That cardboard card had the code printed on it.
Thanks for confirming!

Good customer service - I notified them on the help website that I didn't get a code and next day they put the movie in my DisneyAnywhere account (which I love since it ties into a bunch of other digital services, unlike that crappy Ultraviolet)
Old 04-05-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Picked up the regular version. The Target version was nicer than I expected but I didn't like how bulky it was and plus I'd rather keep the releases uniform and my copy of The Force Awakens is the regular version.
Old 04-05-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,297 Likes on 4,306 Posts

Yeah the thickness of the Target version is an issue. It's like three times the thickness of a normal Blu Ray. It has me considering the ugly ass Steelbook instead.
Old 04-06-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Amazon finally has the BD+DVD+DHD listed for sale (@ $19.99) but they're "temporarily out of stock and will ship as soon as it's available". Who knows if it will even still have the slipcover by the time they actually get it in...
That's what happened for me with Doctor Strange, so I just got this at Target.
Old 04-06-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 200 Posts

Don't know what it is but I went from mildly enjoying it the first time I saw it to really enjoying it the second time through to having no interest in owning it/watching it again since I saw it in theaters. If I liked the Best Buy steelbook more probably would have picked it up as I know I'll own it at some point but since I didn't I'll probably wait until I can get it for $10 or less at some point through a sale or DMC or something.
Old 04-06-17, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Finally got a chance to see it (watched it in 2D).

As someone who has had nothing but disdain, if not out loathing, towards anything SW post 1980, I absolutely F*#%ING LOVED this film!

I've been going back a reading some of the criticism and, as was the case with Edwards Godzilla for me, just about everything with it clicked. I read people's problems or complaints with it and I just have to shake my head.
The middle act sagged? Not for me. That's where all the heart and soul was.
The CGI resurrections came across as too cartoonish or jarring? They weren't 100%, but damned if I wasn't in awe of just how close they got.

The only thing that really took me out of the moment was the voice. That was even more of a problem for me with JEJ's elderly line readings, which I found much more distancing than the other character(s).

Other than that I was thrilled with what Edwards accomplished- especially with all the chatter about extensive reshoots. Everything played seamless to me.

I can probably live without ever seeing this in 3D, but I do regret now not getting the steelbook. If BB ever replenishes their stock I just might double dip and sell off the Target set at a steep loss.
Old 04-06-17, 06:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
That's what happened for me with Doctor Strange, so I just got this at Target.
Ended up getting mine at Walmart. Thought it would be more at Walmart, they typically don't follow the rest of the retailers as far as price goes (neither does Target, usually, compared to Amazon & Best Buy), but I was was there, and pleasantly surprised to find they had it for $19.96 so I went ahead and snagged it.
Old 04-06-17, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Still holding off till I see a few reviews and take on the 3D version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.