Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Steel book sale on Zavvi.

https://www.zavvi.com/offers/steelbo...idget_id=37604
Old 05-20-17, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I picked up that Mummy set as well. The movies are all awful, but the Steelbook is nice.
Extra bonus : I received an email with a code for $8 to see The Mummy as well as the $8 code on the Steelbook. So $20 got me 4 Blu Ray movies, 1 bonus DVD, a nice Steelbook, four HD copies and $16 in Movie Money. Not bad!

And I agree about the xXx Steelbook. I saw it in-store. It's hideous.
Yeah, tremendous deal. That's the only reason I jumped on it...I already owned the trilogy. All three Mummy films would definitely rank as guilty pleasures. Oddly, the dated CGI doesn't bother me in the least. But force me to watch the films where real lizards are dressed up to resemble dinosaurs and I cringe!

Originally Posted by EinCB
Although I grabbed these for just $8.99 each previously, the lenticular Spider-man steelbooks are amazing...spectacular!

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-20-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I sprung for Quadrophenia, Pete's Dragon and Alice Through The Looking Glass 3D/2D.

I was careless yesterday and didn't notice that Quadrophenia is R2. I may not be able to play it.
Old 05-21-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I was careless yesterday and didn't notice that Quadrophenia is R2. I may not be able to play it.
R2 is a DVD designation. Blu-rays are A, B or C. Retailers like Zavvi and Amazon frequently copy the disc specs from a DVD edition, so you should take them with a grain of salt.

Someone in the following thread claims that the UK Blu-ray is region-free.

http://www.hidefninja.com/community/...k.79597/page-3
Old 05-21-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quadro...lu-ray/162302/

^ That says it's Region B, and they're usually reliable. I've never seen the movie.
Old 05-23-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The RE steelbook bundle is the DOTD today for $40

Old 05-24-17, 01:49 PM

New Target-Exclusive Steelbook catalog titles from Universal, including yet another Scarface Steelbook.

They're $9.99 each. I took a picture of the line up :

I went and grabbed The Sting -- one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Looks like they did a re-issue of their Store Exclusive Steelbook for Straight Outta Compton that I paid $20 at launch.

Best Buy did the same thing with Deadpool and Spectre
Old 05-24-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Every one of those titles that I want to own I already do. If I didn't I would pick up the four in the first picture in a heartbeat.
Old 05-24-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

What the hell makes alone Survivor so special that they charge an extra cent?!
Old 05-24-17, 09:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

It's Marky Mark's upcharge.
Old 05-24-17, 09:30 PM
Banned

I went into Target to buy these and came to my senses and put them back. i already own all of the titles I wanted in the digibook versions. These sorta reminded me of the cheap Fox and Warner Bros. reissues. But I had a hard time leaving without making a purchase...ADDICTION!
Old 05-24-17, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I went into Target to buy these and came to my senses and put them back. i already own all of the titles I wanted in the digibook versions. These sorta reminded me of the cheap Fox and Warner Bros. reissues. But I had a hard time leaving without making a purchase...ADDICTION!
Join me!! I cancelled John Wick 2 and Logan an don't regret for a 2nd. Even though some SteelBook's look real cool for re-releases no way I'm buying it again just for that case...
Old 05-25-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Join me!! I cancelled John Wick 2 and Logan an don't regret for a 2nd. Even though some SteelBook's look real cool for re-releases no way I'm buying it again just for that case...
I've NEVERRRRRR bought something again just for the case. *looks around nervously and whistles*...nope never...*Looks at his Odd Lots posting in DVD Exchange sub-forum*...nothing to see here. I should take a picture of my 4k's with all of the Blu-Ray steelbooks for casing (except where a 4k steelbook exists). Most of you probably would either drop your jaw or laugh your butt off. Probably the later. Screw it, I'll do it tonight, lol.

Edit:
Spoiler:

These are all my 4k's (minus 3:10 to Yuma (no steelbook yet) which was by the TV), the majority of which are Steelbooks as you can tell, and half of them are the Blu-Ray steelbooks which I've converted to hold the 4k disc instead.

Other notes
187 - Mediabook (Germany)

Assassin's Creed, Labyrinth, Logan, Magnificent Seven, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, Sing, Suicide Squad, Underworld: Blood Wars - 4k Native Steelbooks

Deadpool, Ender's Game, Lucy, Maze Runner, Maze Runner: ST, Now You See Me, Now You See Me 2, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Underworld, X-Men: Days of Future Past - Blu-ray Native steelbooks converted into 4k+Blu-Rays.

I have plans to find steelbooks at reasonable prices for Hancock, I Am Legend, and Warcraft. In addition, once I get 4k's for X-Men FC and Apocalypse, I have Steelbooks ready to go.

So go ahead and laugh... (and yes, for anybody who is going to correct me...I understand Future Past is a MetalPak, leave me alone )

Last edited by Kedrix; 05-26-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 02:25 PM
Banned

I sprung for Quadrophenia, Pete's Dragon and Alice Through The Looking Glass 3D/2D.

I can confirm that "Quadrophenia" is indeed Region Free as are "Pete's Dragon," and "Alice Through the Looking Glass." You should have no problem playing these titles on your blu-ray player and they all look and sound terrific.

As was previously pointed out, Blu-rays are designated A, B, C, and All Region/Region Free. Most of the discs contained in the steelbooks I have purchased via Zavvi have been Region Free even though they are often labeled Region B. Prior to owning a region free player, most of the titles that were Region B locked were playable on my Panasonic Blu-ray player by various remote control tricks that can disable the region coding. I own many Zavvi steelbooks, so if you are wondering about a particular title, just ask me via this thread or private message and i will be happy to check for you.

I skipped on "Logan" but I do love the steelbooks for John Wick 1 and 2 so I will be picking those up for sure. I traded the standard keepcase version in anticipation but I got it on the cheap around Christmas to begin with, so no regrets. Those Universal steels are just plain cheap looking. I already own the previous digibooks of The Sting," and "To Kill a Mockingbird." They are superior in every possible way. I'm also sticking with the original "Scarface" and "Unbroken" steelbooks because they both sport an attractive glossy finish and "Scarface" features far better content. It's an easy pass but nice that others can add these to their steelbook collections. I might have grabbed "London is Falling" but Zavvi's version is a safer bet because you can easily see and feel the difference in quality. Although I generally prefer buying my steelbooks via Zavvi, i was blown away by the beauty of the Best Buy exclusive "La La Land" steelbook. It is now a prized possession.

This one just went up for preorder via Zavvi. I am so glad I never bought the Criterion version. Yes, i know the Criterion version has more content but I rarely watch the stuff and based on various reveiws, the difference between the Universal and Criterion PQ is negligible. I have to say, although it reminds me of how disappointed I was to miss out on Stephen King's "It," this steelbook is gorgeous!

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-28-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-28-17, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I can confirm that "Quadrophenia" is indeed Region Free as are "Pete's Dragon," and "Alice Through the Looking Glass." You should have no problem playing these titles on your blu-ray player and they all look and sound terrific.

As was previously pointed out, Blu-rays are designated A, B, C, and All Region/Region Free. Most of the discs contained in the steelbooks I have purchased via Zavvi have been Region Free even though they are often labeled Region B. Prior to owning a region free player, most of the titles that were Region B locked were playable on my Panasonic Blu-ray player by various remote control tricks that can disable the region coding. I own many Zavvi steelbooks, so if you are wondering about a particular title, just ask me via this thread or private message and i will be happy to check for you.

I skipped on "Logan" but I do love the steelbooks for John Wick 1 and 2 so I will be picking those up for sure. I traded the standard keepcase version in anticipation but I got it on the cheap around Christmas to begin with, so no regrets. Those Universal steels are just plain cheap looking. I already own the previous digibooks of The Sting," and "To Kill a Mockingbird." They are superior in every possible way. I'm also sticking with the original "Scarface" and "Unbroken" steelbooks because they both sport an attractive glossy finish and "Scarface" features far better content. It's an easy pass but nice that others can add these to their steelbook collections. I might have grabbed "London is Falling" but Zavvi's version is a safer bet because you can easily see and feel the difference in quality. Although I generally prefer buying my steelbooks via Zavvi, i was blown away by the beauty of the Best Buy exclusive "La La Land" steelbook. It is now a prized possession.

This one just went up for preorder via Zavvi. I am so glad I never bought the Criterion version. Yes, i know the Criterion version has more content but I rarely watch the stuff and based on various reveiws, the difference between the Universal and Criterion PQ is negligible. I have to say, although it reminds me of how disappointed I was to miss out on Stephen King's "It," this steelbook is gorgeous!

holy fuck balls is that a great SteelBook™!! i don't suppose region free? do you have link to that one on Zavvi? can't seem to find...
Old 05-28-17, 07:42 PM

I'm more of a fan of the Criterion cover myself. Then again I waited like a decade for that Criterion to get released
Old 05-29-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm more of a fan of the Criterion cover myself. Then again I waited like a decade for that Criterion to get released
Me too. It helps that the steelbook is absolutely hideous though.
Old 05-29-17, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Me too. It helps that the steelbook is absolutely hideous though.
Well, to each his own. I'm not often a fan of Criterion's cover art. In my opinion it is just plain bland and there really isn't a dime's worth of difference in the disc's image quality either... I love the use of color on this steelbook and the 3D-like dimensional quality. I just hope the "20th Anniversary" label is a sticker and the steel is a glossy... love it! I also opted for the "Quadrophenia" steelbook as well. I'm only buying Criterion when it is the sole option for a film and/or the image quality is vastly superior. I would love to get my hands on a steelbook for "Dressed to Kill" which utilizes the original one-sheet. I prefer the Universal image over the teal looking Criterion version any day.

holy fuck balls is that a great SteelBook™!! i don't suppose region free? do you have link to that one on Zavvi? can't seem to find...
Most Universal steels are region-free.

Zavvi Exclusive "The Game" Blu-ray steelbook

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-29-17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Game's steel book is cheaper on Amazon Germany.

https://www.amazon.de/The-Game-Blu-r...bluraycom04-21
Old 05-30-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Incredibles lenticular steel book is back in stock on kimchiDVD.

https://kimchidvd.com/en/21054/v.kim...vd%20Exclusive
Old 05-31-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So collection question when it comes to steelbook...traditionally I've always done my collection by Format/Alphabetical order. So we have DVD's A-Z, Blu's A-Z, and 4k A-Z. Recently as some of you I'm sure have read, I've been converting my steelbooks to be the cases for many of my 4k discs. Now I'm at the point where I'm almost thinking to put all of my steelbooks, blu or 4k together. Then I would have DVDs A-Z, Steelbook's A-Z, Blu/4k's A-Z.

Haven't done it..but have any of the steelie fans out there done something similar?
Old 05-31-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Haven't done it..but have any of the steelie fans out there done something similar?
Yes, I keep all my SteelBooks together in one section of my shelves. Same with Digibooks and box sets.
Old 06-01-17, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
R2 is a DVD designation. Blu-rays are A, B or C. Retailers like Zavvi and Amazon frequently copy the disc specs from a DVD edition, so you should take them with a grain of salt.

Someone in the following thread claims that the UK Blu-ray is region-free.

http://www.hidefninja.com/community/...k.79597/page-3
Originally Posted by EinCB
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quadro...lu-ray/162302/

^ That says it's Region B, and they're usually reliable. I've never seen the movie.
Happy and surprised to report that Quadrophrenia actually plays perfectly on my PS4. Wasn't expecting that. Pretty nice Steelbook with a slipcover for some odd reason. Got the Alice Through The Looking Glass 2D/3D as well. I haven't watched it yet. I'm pretty certain that the film is shitty, but MAN that lenticular Steelbook is so pretty.
Old 06-02-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to read that. Sometimes Zavvi gets it right and sometimes it gets it wrong. The steel book for Children of Men is supposedly Region B locked, but it plays fine on my American Xbox One.

Via Zavvi, Studio Ghibli is the only studio that I know of that all their films are truly Region B locked.
Old 06-02-17, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
So collection question when it comes to steelbook...traditionally I've always done my collection by Format/Alphabetical order. So we have DVD's A-Z, Blu's A-Z, and 4k A-Z. Recently as some of you I'm sure have read, I've been converting my steelbooks to be the cases for many of my 4k discs. Now I'm at the point where I'm almost thinking to put all of my steelbooks, blu or 4k together. Then I would have DVDs A-Z, Steelbook's A-Z, Blu/4k's A-Z.

I'm pretty mix and match when it comes organization. I have filmmaker/movie genre/ movie franchise/ actor box set/ foreign film / Criterion/ tv and wrestling sections. I also organize chronologically within each section. So right now the first drama film I have filed is All Quiet On The Western Front and the last is Moonlight. As far as format and packaging its all mashed together. My John Sayles movies in my filmmaker section has vhs, dvd and blu ray. Hopefully one day it'll have a 4K as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.