Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony Announces First Waves of MOD (Manufacture on Demand) Blu-ray Releases.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Sony Announces First Waves of MOD (Manufacture on Demand) Blu-ray Releases.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Sony Announces First Waves of MOD (Manufacture on Demand) Blu-ray Releases.

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I can always burn another copy (or 2 or 3) to ensure that ONE of them will last. Likewise, I could back-up those copies to fresh new BD-Rs when an arbitrarly long time has passed (eg, 5 years) to ensure the title is "fresh". Or backup to HD, etc.

Using BD-Rs makes legality of the "copy" issue moot to me, since they're choosing to use a method of distribution which is known and proven to have lesser longevity than pressed media. What a guy stuck between a rock and a hard place to do?! Cheat 'em at their own game!
Unless you have an older, pre-Cinavia player this won't work. These are sure to be copy protected. Bds have the same copy protections as DVDs, plus the added protection of Cinavia. Nobody has cracked it yet as far as I know.
You can copy a BD using protection defeating software, however the copy will no longer have the traditional protection yet still have the Cinavia.
All players, except older models, have Cinavia installed on them. When loading the disc the player reads and recognizes the Cinavia on the disc. The player then searches for the other, traditional copy protection. If the player can't find it, which it won't on a copy, the audio will cut out about 15 minutes into the movie.
Some DVDs have Cinavia also. A copy will play in a DVD player but not a BD player. DVD players don't have Cinavia installed on them.
When Amazon put new restrictions on selling DVDs they left BDs unrestricted because they can't be bootlegged.
Old 08-20-16, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd rather seek out the import Blu-ray or even the DVD version of a movie I want to own rather than purchase a BD-R. I suspect this will fail just as Universal's foray into "flipper" discs was never fully embraced. If you gauge the response in this and other forums, I'd say nearly everyone save for a few misguided souls have their noses twisted out of joint over this news. As soon as these forums fill with both anecdotal and fictionalized accounts of disc failures, this experiment by Sony will be o-v-e-r. The people who are claiming this is a great idea and that it will save physical media have not thought it through. Will companies like Universal PRESS titles like "The Marx Brothers" on Blu-ray disc or will Warner Bros continue to PRESS their "Archive Collection" if Sony enjoys success with cheaply produced BD-Rs? Of course not—what would be the incentive? As for consumers, why buy a disc with a questionable lifespan if you can own it digitally on iTunes or VUDU far cheaper? Neither are a guarantee of long-term use and continue to move the ball slowly down the court to the end of the game for physical media. You've heard the story of a frog in a slow boil? It's a great analogy. If you haven't already, it is time to go region free my friends. Support the Blu-ray Disc and boycott the BD-R. It's truly unfortunate to see the company that fought so hard to eliminate HD DVD now looking to put the final nails in their own format's coffin. They have managed the evolution of high definition so poorly that I once again mourn the defeat of HD DVD.

Two things you can do: Send Sony a polite letter voicing your opposition to their decision and boycott the BD-R. Otherwise you can kiss the continued release of less popular and obscure titles on Blu-ray disc goodbye. Oh, and you can probably say goodbye to distributors like Shout, Arrow, Olive, Kino and Twilight Time because far fewer titles will be licensed for them to distribute if the studios move to this MOD/BD-R model for their catalog titles. This is just BAD news.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-20-16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll take a wait and see approach. Out of this first batch I'm only interested in Fury. I need to investigate further if the French BD version does not have subs - I'll get that one instead.
Old 08-20-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The whole MOD thing seems kind of unnecessary, especially for DVD.

The studios can press the minimum amount of 500 units and sell that quantity quite easily.

The one Warner Archive disc I have uses what looks like a Falcon brand thermal DVD-R with a nice full-colour thermal-printed disc label and a trap sheet.

These would cost a fair amount of money to burn and print them one-by-one.

I guess the logic is if they stock 200 different titles X 500 of each - that's a lot of up-front money tied-up including storage. Then again, this is a major studio, not a basement operation.
Old 08-20-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The major studios despise carrying inventory of slow-selling titles, which is why they are so quick to jump on using BD-Rs. Some of the problem is how they've written up movie contracts with profit participants which plays into their decision.

I believe Sony thinks the initial demand for these discs will be under 1000 units per movie. I imagine if sales exceed expectations they switch certain discs to pressed copies.

The Film Detective, a niche label, has been using BD-Rs for their releases. I haven't had a problem with them, though I would hate to own a favorite movie on this format.
Old 08-20-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Based on the initial title list I get the impression they're marketing to "Joe 6 Pack" who doesn't know the difference. Give it time and you'll see the same comments on these as on DVD MODs - "I was sent a bootleg. It's purple instead of silver like it should be."
The absolute worst bluray discs I have ever seen (in a "chinatown" in an undisclosed big city), were ones which were almost "black" looking.

99% guess that these "black looking" bluray discs (instead of "silver side" looking) were not legitimate.
Old 08-20-16, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I believe Sony thinks the initial demand for these discs will be under 1000 units per movie. I imagine if sales exceed expectations they switch certain discs to pressed copies.
Any known cases of this happening?
Old 08-20-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Unless you have an older, pre-Cinavia player this won't work. These are sure to be copy protected. Bds have the same copy protections as DVDs, plus the added protection of Cinavia. Nobody has cracked it yet as far as I know.
You can copy a BD using protection defeating software, however the copy will no longer have the traditional protection yet still have the Cinavia.
All players, except older models, have Cinavia installed on them. When loading the disc the player reads and recognizes the Cinavia on the disc. The player then searches for the other, traditional copy protection. If the player can't find it, which it won't on a copy, the audio will cut out about 15 minutes into the movie.
Some DVDs have Cinavia also. A copy will play in a DVD player but not a BD player. DVD players don't have Cinavia installed on them.
When Amazon put new restrictions on selling DVDs they left BDs unrestricted because they can't be bootlegged.
... which is why I wisely have two pre-Cinavia players still unopened, safely stored away for that very reason... You've got to beat them at their game.
Old 08-20-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The absolute worst bluray discs I have ever seen (in a "chinatown" in an undisclosed big city), were ones which were almost "black" looking.

99% guess that these "black looking" bluray discs (instead of "silver side" looking) were not legitimate.
To the best of my knowledge almost all BD-R discs are black/charcoal-grey on the recordable surface just as purple is for DVD-R and greenish-silver for CD-R.
Old 08-20-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle
... which is why I wisely have two pre-Cinavia players still unopened, safely stored away for that very reason... You've got to beat them at their game.
I knew those six HD-DVD players I picked-up for $10 would come in handy some day...
Old 08-21-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Any known cases of this happening?
It happened with several DVDs in Warner's Archive program. Sony's track record on Blu-ray indicates they really don't have a good idea of what sells and what doesn't sell on the format until something is put out.
Old 08-21-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

BD-r uses fundamentally different recording technology than DVD-r and CD-r. Those use organic phase shift dyes which are prone to fading over time. bd-r uses an inorganic alloy which should last hundreds of years and is essentially archival quality. Do a little googling. There a TDK spec sheet or white paper about it.

(This is assuming they're not using the newer cheapo BD-r LTH media which is dye based.)
Old 08-21-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Wonder how soon these titles will show up in local dump bins, so that Alan Smithee and his buddies can swoop in and binge buy them all up.
The point of mail-order-only BD-Rs is that they WON'T have extra copies that end up in dump bins. The number of copies they make is only however many people actually buy. I haven't had any quality problems with burned discs I've bought yet, but it still feels like I'm paying full price for an illegal copy, which I know how to make myself provided I can get my hands on the legit disc (my player doesn't have Cinavia, haven't seen what that does yet.)
Old 08-22-16, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
All I'm taking from that message is that I won't be getting a Criterion version of Body Double.
The Twilight Time release (now sold out) was excellent. Highly recommend it, not this BD-R crap that Sony is trying to push. If anybody wants to read my old review (back when I was still writing reviews on a regular basis), you can below.

Body Double - Twilight Time BR release
Old 08-22-16, 12:16 PM
Banned

The idea that this is the only way we'll see some obscure titles on Blu-ray is ludicrous. Logic dictates that if collectors are foolish enough to embrace buying any of these titles on BD-R it will make it less likely that catalog titles will be licensed and pressed in the future. I'd prefer buying a pressed Blu-ray disc from Olive Films, Kino/Lorber and yes, even the over-priced Twilight Time—even bare-bones—over these Sony BD-Rs. If you folks support this ruse, I guarantee far fewer titles will be licensed by the studios in the future and you'll have nobody but yourselves to blame.

I'm shopping for my first region-free 3-D Blu-ray player. Any suggestions? My first Region B purchase will be the PRESSED Australian Import of "Body Double" for $14.95 from Deep Discount—half of what Sony wants for its BD-R coasters.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-22-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronSch
The idea that this is the only way we'll see some obscure titles on Blu-ray is ludicrous. Logic dictates that if collectors are foolish enough to embrace buying any of these titles on BD-R it will make it less likely that catalog titles will be licensed and pressed in the future. I'd prefer buying a pressed Blu-ray disc from Olive Films, Kino/Lorber and yes, even the over-priced Twilight Time—even bare-bones—over these Sony BD-Rs. If you folks support this ruse, I guarantee far fewer titles will be licensed by the studios in the future and you'll have nobody but yourselves to blame.

I'm shopping for my first region-free 3-D Blu-ray player. Any suggestions? My first Region B purchase will be the PRESSED Australian Import of "Body Double" for $14.95 from Deep Discount—half of what Sony wants for its BD-R coasters.

This is the one I bought - it was refurbished - it's a fantastic little player:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...on=refurbished
Old 08-22-16, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It happened with several DVDs in Warner's Archive program. Sony's track record on Blu-ray indicates they really don't have a good idea of what sells and what doesn't sell on the format until something is put out.
In the case of Sony, offhand I can only think of one title which was originally released as dvd-r, which was later released as pressed discs:

- season 5 of the original Charlie's Angels.

Though in this case, I doubt it was re-released (as pressed discs) due to it being a hot seller. The pressed version of season 5 was specifically included in the "complete series" dvd set of the original Charlie's Angels.
Old 08-22-16, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This is the one I bought - it was refurbished - it's a fantastic little player:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...on=refurbished
Is that model already region free or does it need some type of firmware update?
Old 11-06-16, 11:44 AM

Is there Legit factory pressings of karate kid 3 and next karate kid on bluray? I bought the amazon ones choice collection. I didn't know they are dvd-r but I don't like paying that much to have a burnt copy. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-09-16, 12:42 PM

Is there Legit factory pressings of karate kid 3 and next karate kid on bluray? I bought the amazon ones choice collection. I didn't know they are dvd-r but I don't like paying that much to have a burnt copy. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-09-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Is that model already region free or does it need some type of firmware update?
Just saw this - no, it's ready to go out of the box. You just have to press a button to switch it to region B and you're set.
Old 07-27-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Looks like they're continuing with this line, and its bloated pricing:

THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN - $26.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742VSVXQ/
Old 07-27-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"North" is also getting the "Choice Collection" treatment.
Old 07-27-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
this line, and its bloated pricing
I'd rather have esoteric/low-demand titles available at a premium price than not at all.
Old 07-27-17, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian T
THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN - $26.99
Bitter Tea indeed.

A few years ago, I would have been happy to buy a Frank Capra: The Early Years DVD set, but 1) by the time I began to want it, and 2) by the time I realized the first batch was actually replicated, it was too late.

If anybody has a replicated set in like new condition they want to sell, do send me a PM. But no, I'm not paying the $67+ they want on Amazon.

Last edited by thetao; 07-27-17 at 02:38 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.