Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UHD release announcements

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UHD release announcements

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

It's cool that they are including the BD with these but I just don't see me getting a 4K projector and player anytime soon. The 4K projectors are still quite expensive. I also just finally went to a non-regional BD player and got a new 3D projector. So I have a lot of new shit on my plate to watch as it is.

And I still don't know why they don't throw some true "name" movies out to begin with. It's almost like they want this to fail with those first few movie choices.
Old 11-12-15, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
And I still don't know why they don't throw some true "name" movies out to begin with. It's almost like they want this to fail with those first few movie choices.
There's not a movie in that list that excites me either, but to be fair, 2/3rds of 'em were bonafide hits.
Old 11-12-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Some of the first titles with some ugly ass flea market level looking artwork.

Where's The Fifth Element?

I was positive that that film would be one of the first UHDBRs.

And, yeah, that is an absolute shit lineup. Not a single movie there I would want.
Old 11-12-15, 08:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fifth Element will be one of the first released in the intital wave. But these are the first artworks to be revealed.

Last edited by E Unit; 11-12-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And, yeah, that is an absolute shit lineup. Not a single movie there I would want.
Salt is passable. Not something I'm excited for, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it (unlike Hancock or Smurfs).
Old 11-12-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
2 of those titles should be in 3D, but aren't (and 3D is the only reason I saw "The Smurfs 2" or the first one for that matter). Yawn.
As for new titles with 3D, I hope they offer them with the UHD BD SKU as well (ie, UHD BD + 3D BD). I would hate to be forced to choose between the 2D UHD BD (UHD BD + BD) and the 3D BD (3D BD + BD).
Old 11-12-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
As for new titles with 3D, I hope they offer them with the UHD BD SKU as well (ie, UHD BD + 3D BD). I would hate to be forced to choose between the 2D UHD BD (UHD BD + BD) and the 3D BD (3D BD + BD).
The danger of doing that, from a marketing perspective, is that it draws attention to the fact that the UHD disc doesn't have 3D. Some people might even feel misled into believing that the UHD disc will have 3D until they open the case. "It says right there on the front cover that this is the 3D version!"

While I won't rule out what you want, I expect that most studios will probably try to keep UHD and 3D as separate items.
Old 11-15-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Titles, Titles, Titles. Release the good ones. It's all in the titles.
Old 11-15-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Titles, Titles, Titles. Release the good ones. It's all in the titles.
All those great titles are available streaming and most are already on BD - not enough incentive for people to move to UHD-BD.

With that said, they really should be putting their best foot forward (ie. biggest/most popular titles) if they want to have any chance of this new format succeeding. The titles listed won't cut it.
Old 12-29-15, 11:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the Ultra HD Blu-Ray mega thread

The random bits of news from varying studios and what titles have been announced (so far) has been a bit scattershot here in this thread, but here's what's been stated:

Fox’s first four UHD titles will include HDR mastering

Hitting digital download distribution channels prior to launching on physical UHD discs, Fox will soon release four titles in Ultra HD resolution along with high dynamic range (HDR) mastering. The first four titles to receive this treatment include Kingsman: The Secret Service, Life of Pi, Exodus: Gods and Kings and The Maze Runner.

~

Sony Reveals Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range Blu-Ray Titles

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has revealed its first batch of titles for the emerging Ultra HD Blu-Ray format. Scheduled for availability in early 2016 from Sony are titles including The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express and The Smurfs 2.

~

'MAD MAX,' THE LEGO MOVIE & More Among WB's First Ultra HD Blu-ray Offerings

The first available titles will be Mad Max: Fury Road, San Andreas, The Lego Movie and Pan. Following quickly will be theatrical new release titles available day and date with their initial home entertainment release as well as a selection of catalog titles throughout the year including Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. By the end of 2016, Warner Bros. will have over 35 titles available on Ultra HD Blu-ray.To complement the disc releases, Warner Bros. will also expand the titles available on 4K Ultra HD with HDR via digital retailers. Dolby Atmoswill also be included on select titles for a truly immersive home theater experience.
Old 12-29-15, 11:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's some boring ass shit on those releases. But I'm more curious to hear what the Atmos sound is like on these.
Old 12-30-15, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Even MORE 3D titles in 2D- no thanks. How about the next super-hi-res format forgoes color?
Old 12-30-15, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Even MORE 3D titles in 2D- no thanks. How about the next super-hi-res format forgoes color?
Color is a thing that exists. 4K 3D, for all intents and purposes, does not -- there's supposedly not even a SMPTE standard for it. How many 4K 3DTVs (that don't drop to 2K for each eye) are in the wild or on the horizon?

Blu-ray didn't support 3D out of the gate either.
Old 12-30-15, 10:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

These UHD not including the 3D as a bonus could mean the deathknell of the 3D format as a whole.
Old 12-30-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that 3D UHD isn't possible right now, and that, because of the 3D process, they are all in 1080p.
Old 12-30-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: the Ultra HD Blu-Ray mega thread

zzzzzz zzz zzzzz z z z zzz ....

Looks like a very boring selection of tired movies.
Old 12-30-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
These UHD not including the 3D as a bonus could mean the deathknell of the 3D format as a whole.
3D isn't going away and besides UHD BD sales will be tiny. Worse case is that it will negatively affect UHD sales more than 3D, since if forced to choose, most 3D fans will obviously go with the 3D. Most of the top titles are in 3D and 2D.

Both UHD BD and 3D BD are highly niche formats though. I think the best solution would be to include a 3D/2D BD disc with any UHD BD SKU movie that was also finished in 3D. That is, instead of having a separate 3D and 2D disc, have a "combo" 3D/2D disc that lets you choose which format you want to play. Many 3D titles already have this, where the only difference is that the 3D plays the left and right eye encode and instead of just the right (2D).
Old 12-30-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Although I originally disliked BD/DVD combo packs, I hope we get BD/UHDBD combo packs so I can build my library as the hardware prices drop.
That's how I ended up with so many freakin 3D discs. Damn those Marvel steelbooks . I did just get a projector though, so I am somewhat looking forward to trying some of them out.

BTW, I haven't seen anything posted from Roc in awhile, is he still around?
Old 12-30-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bruceames
3D isn't going away and besides UHD BD sales will be tiny. Worse case is that it will negatively affect UHD sales more than 3D, since if forced to choose, most 3D fans will obviously go with the 3D. Most of the top titles are in 3D and 2D.

Both UHD BD and 3D BD are highly niche formats though. I think the best solution would be to include a 3D/2D BD disc with any UHD BD SKU movie that was also finished in 3D. That is, instead of having a separate 3D and 2D disc, have a "combo" 3D/2D disc that lets you choose which format you want to play. Many 3D titles already have this, where the only difference is that the 3D plays the left and right eye encode and instead of just the right (2D).
I am a recent 3D convert and you better believe I will stick with just the 3D releases if I have to choose between it and UHD.

Your suggestion for having them combined with UHD is a great one and hopefully they will do that.
Old 12-30-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I recently heard that even 4K theatrical projectors don't support 3D at this point. But that still begs the question, why release 3D movies in 2D on this new format? ALL 4 of Warner's initial titles are 3D, but of course only in 2D on these discs. Why not just issue titles that were 2D to begin with, so you won't have people doing endless comparisons between those and the 3D discs and deciding which one is the better trade-off?
Old 12-30-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I really don't get the love for 3D. The technology is cool, but I find it extremely annoying and disruptive when watching a movie.
Old 12-30-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I really don't get the love for 3D. The technology is cool, but I find it extremely annoying and disruptive when watching a movie.
Yeah, that and sound.
Old 12-30-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Why not just issue titles that were 2D to begin with, so you won't have people doing endless comparisons between those and the 3D discs and deciding which one is the better trade-off?
What's so toxic about giving people a choice? You realize these movies are being released in 2D already, right?

There's nothing in the world wrong with preferring 1080p 3D to UHD 2D, but to say "I don't want it, therefore it shouldn't exist" seems unfair. It'd be different if a filmmaker were to say that his/her movie was meant to be experienced exclusively in 3D, but how often has that happened?
Old 12-30-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I really don't get the love for 3D.
I didn't either until I recently got a 3D projector. I was a naysayer until I tried it. i was pretty against 3D at home and thought it was stupid.

I have since found that the 3D at home is much, much better than any I have seen at a theater.

If you have a nice set-up at home, I think you would be surprised. I didn't have any friends with 3D so I never had the opportunity to see it in action. Now that I have, any movie that is released in 3D will be my first choice for any home viewings.
Old 12-30-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
zzzzzz zzz zzzzz z z z zzz ....

Looks like a very boring selection of tired movies.
You know, in some ways I would rather they release stuff I don't care about to get started. As with every other format, these discs will improve over time, and I don't really want good titles "wasted" on early discs. Then we have to wait several years for them to get reissued, if ever.

Granted, some of the early BDs hold up pretty well, but some don't. Look at The Graduate, which was saddled with a dated transfer and MPEG-2 encoding that wasn't improved on in later repackagings. After nearly a decade it's finally getting redone, thanks to Criterion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.