Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

My rule now is if a 2D title is available on UHD, I'll buy that even though I can't play it. (They still come with a regular BD anyways.) If it's a 3D movie however, I'll buy the 3D BD since UHD doesn't support 3D, and I want to keep telling the industry that 3D is important.
Old 06-17-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
I was one of those who started selling off my laser discs collection before dvd came out. As well as my dvd collection before blu-ray came out.
I remember only owning about 6 laser discs and selling them on Craigslist around 1999.

I cringed at the fact I only got about $8 each at the time (I probably spent about $35-$40 each new) but in hindsight it was $7.99 more than I would get for them today.
Old 06-17-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what's UHD?

a great Weird Al movie.
Old 06-18-16, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
a great Weird Al movie.
Maybe it'll inspire a sequel to UHF!
Old 06-18-16, 08:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

No. Of my 951 DVDs/BDs (counting TV seasons as 1), only 9.1% of them are blu-ray. The others I either have no interest in upgrading to blu-ray, or blu-rays haven't yet been released for their DVD counterparts. On my setup there is not really that much of a difference in picture quality between DVD and BD (in most cases). I have zero interest in delving into the lame attempt at a further upgrade at any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 06-18-16, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Not really, especially for newer movies filmed in HD. Then there's the upcoming 4k TV onslaught. And when 4k sets are about the same price as 1080p, then we'll see the adoption rate increase, along with the adoption of 4k media, both physical and streaming.
"When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do"
Old 06-18-16, 09:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Puff puff pass!
Old 06-18-16, 09:45 AM
Banned

I do want to thank all of you that have traded in your pristine Blu-ray collections along with those shiny slipcovers that look as fresh as the day you bought them only to permit me to swoop in and quickly build my collection at a fraction of what you all paid originally. I truly thank all of you from the bottom of my wallet for taking such great care of all the gems I purchased this past year!
Old 06-19-16, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
If it was the "Ultimate Edition" T2, there may have been nothing wrong with your disc, but with your player; it was one of the first DVDs to use seamless branching for putting multiple edits of the film on the disc, and some players had issues with them:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...cult-dvds.html

I remember exchanging my first DVD player, an Apex, for a newer Apex at Circuit City specifically because it wouldn't play T2.
It wasn't the Ultimate Edition. (Many years later I eventually picked up the Ultimate Edition version).

The first copy of T2 I had, didn't have three edits of the film. As far as I could tell at the time (circa late-1990s), it looked like it was bare bones. At the time, I wasn't aware of any "easter eggs".
Old 06-19-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
It wasn't the Ultimate Edition. (Many years later I eventually picked up the Ultimate Edition version).

The first copy of T2 I had, didn't have three edits of the film. As far as I could tell at the time (circa late-1990s), it looked like it was bare bones. At the time, I wasn't aware of any "easter eggs".
It could've been the Live Entertainment DVD, which had only one cut and not much in terms of extras:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=160

However, errors with that disc would probably be rare. Did you check for scratches or smudges? Did ou try exchanging it for another copy?
Old 06-19-16, 10:00 AM

Did you try exchanging it for another copy?
Initially I wanted to do an exchange. But unfortunately the store had no more copies of that title. So they offered me a refund instead.

T2 was the first dvd I played. The next day, I ended up also returning the other dvds I had purchased which I didn't open up the packages. (At the time, I had purchased T2 and a few other titles. I only ever opened up the T2 package).

After noticing that T2 disc had freezing problems, it abruptly changed my opinion about dvd in general. I immediately jumped off the dvd hobby "treadmill", before it ever started for me.

However, errors with that disc would probably be rare. Did you check for scratches or smudges?
It was brand new with no obvious visible defects.

I figured that copy was a poorly pressed disc, which randomly came about during manufacturing.
Old 06-19-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I figured that copy was a poorly pressed disc, which randomly came about during manufacturing.
That could be it, or again it could've been your player if that's the first and only disc you played. It's an atypical experience for DVD though; unfortunately it was your first, and first impressions are important.
Old 06-19-16, 10:33 AM

That could be it, or again it could've been your player if that's the first and only disc you played.
A few years later, I picked up The Matrix dvd and played it on the same player which I first played that "defective" T2 dvd disc. There were no problems with The Matrix.

At the time after that T2 freezing debacle, I forced myself to watch through every newly purchased dvd disc (main movies + all special features), to see whether there were any problems with the discs. This is the main reason why I hardly purchased any dvds over the entire 2000s decade.

It's an atypical experience for DVD though; unfortunately it was your first, and first impressions are important.
Definitely.
Old 06-19-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, I won't be replacing anything with 4K anytime soon. I still have my plasma. Once that goes then yeah, I probably will get a 4k but not up until that point.

I have a friend who just spent $3,000 upgrading his gear to 4k. Granted, he works for Apple, but still, I don't have $3,000 lying around to spend on electronics. It's just not a priority for me.
Old 06-19-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I won't be replacing anything with 4K anytime soon. I still have my plasma. Once that goes then yeah, I probably will get a 4k but not up until that point.

I have a friend who just spent $3,000 upgrading his gear to 4k. Granted, he works for Apple, but still, I don't have $3,000 lying around to spend on electronics. It's just not a priority for me.
I'm of the same mind. Sure, when my equipment goes, I will replace it with whatever is current, most likely 4k. But I am certainly not replacing perfectly good hardware just to "upgrade". As for software, there are still titles that haven't made it to dvd, titles that are on dvd that never made it to blue ray, and I predict there will be even less titles that make it to uhd. So that is going to be a case by case decision moving forward. Right now having a blue ray and a dvd in a package is much more useful to me than having a uhd disc and a blue ray in a package.
Old 06-19-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I'm of the same mind. Sure, when my equipment goes, I will replace it with whatever is current, most likely 4k. But I am certainly not replacing perfectly good hardware just to "upgrade". As for software, there are still titles that haven't made it to DVD, titles that are on DVD that never made it to Blu-ray, and I predict there will be even fewer titles that make it to UHD. So that is going to be a case by case decision moving forward. Right now having a Blu-ray and a DVD in a package is much more useful to me than having a UHD disc and a Blu-ray in a package.
There's an understatement.
Old 06-19-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Here's my bud's in-depth review on his new gear.

http://whysoblu.com/4k-sony-xbr65x93...-k8500-review/

I don't think he's ATMOS ready.
Old 06-19-16, 07:04 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm just waiting for a 4K projector for around $6000 or so. 4K projector prices haven't dropped much at all, especially compared to the LED TVs.
Old 10-06-17, 10:01 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Bump on this.

I bought a house recently so I’ve been doing upgrades for the basement equipment. I just got a 75” 4K TV, it came with a free UHD player and 2 movies. I most likely won’t rebuy anything in UHD, but will be mindful of new big blockbuster releases and the format.

On Black Friday, do the UHD discs go on sale? And around what price point?
Old 10-06-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Nope

Not as rich as some folks here.
Old 10-06-17, 10:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I might, but very few titles (Blu Ray I ended up maybe upgrading less than half of my DVD titles).

However, this latest development with iTunes offering free 4K upgrades (and very speculative Movies Anywhere development) I am more inclined to go digital on more movies than previously, and only picking up must have discs when available or at a bargain price
Old 10-06-17, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I recently built my movie room (you can see it in forum: DVD Talk/pics of home theater thread) and went for a 55" 4k TV, my wife bought me a 4k UHD player because I wouldn't buy it myself. I'm glad I married her. She understands me even when I'm too stubborn on myself. So I've been buying UHD's left and right. I'd say I'm somewhere around 50 probably at this point.

And the familiar pattern of upgrading everything in the kitchen sink was taking hold. But this time I kinda stopped myself and I'm not quite as gung ho.

1)Blu-ray Steelbooks, I'm waiting for the 4k discs to get cheap (or even find them by themselves on Ebay) and then playing a swap game and selling out the digital code to curb costs (because in many cases I have it in HD and there is no sense to upgrade to UHD digital usually).

2)In certain cases, I'm ditching the blu-ray even and not upgrading at all. I did this with Kick Ass and I don't regret it one bit. I would actually say my collection has shrank a little since I started buying 4k's. I've noticed shelf space slowly starting to open up. But then again, I'm ditching what's left of my dvds (and bds too) and so that's probably a big contributor.

and then finally, (but not related to upgrading)
3)I'm being more selective with newer titles. If I'm questioning myself on it, I'll buy it digital...and then if I only really love it, then I grab the 4k.

I think we will see sales for UHD's at Black Friday, but they will be only a handful. It will most likely be up to websites and such to pick up the slack. Just be patient. I'd say the price point will be around $15-$20 with certain titles (Lionsgate) getting the $10 treatment.
Old 10-06-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I seem to remember prices being all over the place on Black Friday. I definitely didn't buy any.

There are frequently deals to be had, though. Best Buy has 2/$20 on Lionsgate titles as well as 2/$35 for certain Universal releases right now. Target has a 20% Cartwheel promotion next week that'll bring Baby Driver down to ~$23 on Tuesday. We've seen certain new releases drop pretty quickly. I picked up Batman vs Superman for something like $15 not long after it came out.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 10-06-17 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 11:09 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Unless there is a limited available reason to purchase on day 1 (like the 3D/4K steelbooks from Best Buy for Kong and GotG2), I am resisting paying full price for new releases, so I passed on Wonder Woman for now and will probably pass on Spider-Man Homecoming, until I can get them for sub-$20.

But there are a lot of deals, the Fry's Buy 2 Get 1 free deal has been running for several weeks now, so as long as you can find 3 movies, you can usually get some decent deals, but their 4K movie prices fluctuate like crazy so it's hard to line up 3 movies at once.

Oh, regarding my comment about 4K projectors, it looks like this is the year that Sony has finally put out an affordable projector, with the VPL-VW285ES. I'm guessing that when I'm ready to buy one, I can find an authorized dealer to sell me one for around $4000.
Old 10-06-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
My rule now is if a 2D title is available on UHD, I'll buy that even though I can't play it. (They still come with a regular BD anyways.) If it's a 3D movie however, I'll buy the 3D BD since UHD doesn't support 3D, and I want to keep telling the industry that 3D is important.
Your rule is my rule, good sir!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.