Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-29-17, 08:51 AM   #851
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Well, one thing you get from the individual releases are steelbooks, digital copies, and DVD's. None of those come with this one

And I also wouldn't be surprised if the MSRP is $300 or so. But yeah, if you haven't picked up a single movie yet, you can probably get a good sale on this around the holidays.
Old 06-29-17, 08:55 AM   #852
DVD Talk Legend

I have all of them except the two Green Lantern ones and Justice League: The New Frontier. Should really just pick them up to have a complete collection.
Old 06-29-17, 07:18 PM   #853
DVD Talk Special Edition

If that collection is packaged like WB does for any other of their 20+ discs collections, then is not worth it at all. Those set usually have loose discs, broken spindles, broken boxes and hard ways of getting the discs in and out.
Old 06-29-17, 10:59 PM   #854
Inane Thread Master

Is there an MSRP?
Old 07-02-17, 06:30 PM   #855
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I have all of them except the two Green Lantern ones and Justice League: The New Frontier. Should really just pick them up to have a complete collection.
First Flight is one of my favs, is what the Live Action GL should have been.

New Frontier...watched it so many times, love the style of the movie.
Old 07-03-17, 04:26 AM   #856
DVD Talk Legend

I'm honestly not a big Green Lantern fan. Just never really have been so that's probably why I haven't picked up those yet. I watched part of Emerald Knights but fell asleep during it. New Frontier seems like a good one. I just missed it when it originally released and haven't gotten to picking it up.
Old 07-03-17, 08:10 AM   #857
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I'm honestly not a big Green Lantern fan. Just never really have been so that's probably why I haven't picked up those yet. I watched part of Emerald Knights but fell asleep during it. New Frontier seems like a good one. I just missed it when it originally released and haven't gotten to picking it up.
Emerald Knights is a snooze fest, but First Flight was awesome...it is just what the GL movie should have been.
Old 07-07-17, 11:22 AM   #858

For the curious the Justice League movies War, Doom, New Frontier and The Flashpoint Paradox are available for free, albeit with commercials, at CWSeed.com, which is also a free app for Roku users.
Old 07-08-17, 05:25 PM   #859
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Gotham by Gaslight Getting Animated DC Adaptation

By David Stephens 1 hour ago

The next DC animated movie to be released after Batman and Harley Quinn has been officially announced, and it will be an adaptation of the critically-acclaimed Elseworlds graphic novel Gotham by Gaslight. It was revealed after fuller details were given regarding the special features on the upcoming Harley Quinn escapade.

Gotham by Gaslight is a major fan-favorite for those who like to see the Dark Knight in an alternative setting, and one we’ve previously called out as being one of the Batman comics that should be an animated movie. It was published by DC Comics in 1989 as a one-shot, with the story having been written by editor and writer Brian Augustyn. The artwork and design originated from the legendary artist and writer Mike Mignola (Hellboy) and was inked his frequent work partner P. Craig Russell. The story re-imagines Bruce Wayne in a Victorian world, and filters every expected ingredient in a Batman story through that concept. It adapts the hero’s origin after he returns to Gotham City following a European trip, and introduces Commissioner Gordon and even a brief reference to a Victorian Joker. But mostly it’s about the freshly mantled caped crusader trying to deduce the identity of Jack the Ripper, who has started a fresh wave of killings in the US city.

It’s normal for the DVD and Blu-Ray releases to include sneak peeks of the next projects, so with Comicbook.com reporting that this title has just been added to the special features for the Batman and Harley Quinn release, it confirms that the next DC Animation direct-to-video release will be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. There are currently no further details as to a release date, or who will be performing the voice-acting, although Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series ) would be the natural expectation for Bruce Wayne, although Jason O’Mara has been taking regular turns as the voice of the caped crusader lately as well.

Gotham by Gaslight was a hugely important graphic novel, and as influential, in its own way, as The Killing Joke. Although it wasn’t categorized as such at the time, it is generally accepted as being the very first Elseworlds tale and was later officially branded as such. The Elseworld stories were the DC version of Marvel’s What If stories, and placed their most famous characters in unfamiliar surroundings and times. This lead to incredibly popular publications like Superman: Red Son (which is rumored to be tapped for a live-action movie) and Batman: Red Rain (Batman as a vampire). Gotham by Gaslight itself spawned a sequel called Master of the Future which took on more Jules Verne trappings.

Hopefully for such an important story in Batman history, the animated film will give it the respect and tone that it deserves. The Killing Joke got some criticism for bolting on some contentious additional material to the plot, but that shouldn’t be necessary for this story which can easily standalone on its quality of plot and visuals. Until we know more, the only further details will be in the promotional footage included on the Batman and Harley Quinn release. In the meantime, we’ll keep you updated with any more information on the Gotham by Gaslight movie.

Batman and Harley Quinn is released on August 29, 2017.

Source: Comicbook.com
http://screenrant.com/gotham-by-gasl...dc-adaptation/

I'm down for this. Probably one of the best Elseworlds stories along with Red Son.
Old 07-11-17, 02:53 PM   #860
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad DC/WB keeps doing these animated films and wonder why Marvel doesn't follow up after the cool Planet Hulk one.
Old 07-13-17, 03:33 PM   #861
DVD Talk Legend

Animation is a strong suit for DC. While they struggle with their live action films their animated films and shows are pretty much always solid. Funny enough it's the opposite for Marvel despite them having the power of Disney behind them who are kings of animation. The Marvel animated stuff always seems geared mostly towards a younger audience. Some of it is okay for what it is but nothing I go out of my way to watch.
Old 07-15-17, 12:37 PM   #862
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Animation is a strong suit for DC. While they struggle with their live action films their animated films and shows are pretty much always solid. Funny enough it's the opposite for Marvel despite them having the power of Disney behind them who are kings of animation. The Marvel animated stuff always seems geared mostly towards a younger audience. Some of it is okay for what it is but nothing I go out of my way to watch.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "struggle" in the live action movies?
-Ratings by critics?
-Ratings by fans?
-Box Office? (out performed Marvel first 4 movies)

Each of the movies have done better than the one before in the boxoffice...WW now being the champ and has had a 94% RT score.
-Someone has to be going to the movies? Fans have voted by their $$$/tickets.
-Each of the movies have made a great profit...at least $575 millions in total profit.

Tons of people have loved the DC movies, myself being one of them.
-I also LOVE the Marvel movies...I do not want DC movies to be just like Marvel movies, difference is good.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 07-15-17, 01:16 PM   #863
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I love DC so much that by comparison I hate Marvel, but even I admit that Marvel blows DC away on live-action films the last nine years. Wonder Woman was great, but the other three are average at best; and Marvel has had like 10 films pretty much better than WW in that timeframe.

Obviously, opinions vary and you're by no means alone Iron, but I think you're in a small minority if you think DC is anywhere close in quality lately.
Old 07-15-17, 01:19 PM   #864
DVD Talk Hero

Target still doesn't have Batman and Harley Quinn up for pre-order, even the vanilla version. Wonder if they had too many screw ups with Steelbook orders and just won't sell it online any more. Bummer
Old 07-15-17, 01:46 PM   #865
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I love DC so much that by comparison I hate Marvel, but even I admit that Marvel blows DC away on live-action films the last nine years. Wonder Woman was great, but the other three are average at best; and Marvel has had like 10 films pretty much better than WW in that timeframe.

Obviously, opinions vary and you're by no means alone Iron, but I think you're in a small minority if you think DC is anywhere close in quality lately.
Yep, I meant more in terms of the quality of the films not how successful they are. Three films are below average at best. One is good albeit in my opinion a tad overrated by fans who were looking for a great film (Wonder Woman). I'm labeled as the resident DC hater though so what do I know.
Old 07-15-17, 04:17 PM   #866
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I'm labeled as the resident DC hater though so what do I know.
I get where your coming from. I don't really like the films either and I'm a huge DC fan. They're average at best and it seems like they lost the core of who the characters are. I guess I'm stuck in the Bronze Age because that is what I collect and those characters on the screen are so far removed from the characters and the stories I've read. I have to give credit to WW though; I actually enjoyed it even with it's flaws i.e. the 3rd act.

Looking forward to Gotham by Gaslight. I hope they make it look like Mignola's art.
Old 07-18-17, 04:11 AM   #867

Quote:
Yep, I meant more in terms of the quality of the films not how successful they are. Three films are below average at best. One is good albeit in my opinion a tad overrated by fans who were looking for a great film (Wonder Woman).
100% agree with this!
Old 07-18-17, 09:28 AM   #868
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by "struggle" in the live action movies?
-Ratings by critics?
-Ratings by fans?
-Box Office? (out performed Marvel first 4 movies)

Each of the movies have done better than the one before in the boxoffice...WW now being the champ and has had a 94% RT score.
-Someone has to be going to the movies? Fans have voted by their $$$/tickets.
-Each of the movies have made a great profit...at least $575 millions in total profit.

Tons of people have loved the DC movies, myself being one of them.
-I also LOVE the Marvel movies...I do not want DC movies to be just like Marvel movies, difference is good.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
I'm not sure how this is even an argument. Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad were obvious critical disappointments, and fan reaction wasn't significantly far from that even if there are those that liked them.

As far as making money, well known characters like Superman or Batman SHOULD make more then Iron Man, who was then an unknown to the general audience. And just because something Batman V Superman made money, doesn't mean WB/DC didn't expect it to make much, much more.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-18-17, 02:24 PM   #869
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
http://screenrant.com/gotham-by-gasl...dc-adaptation/

I'm down for this. Probably one of the best Elseworlds stories along with Red Son.
I would love to see them adapt Red Rain, the Batman versus Dracula Elseworlds trilogy.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.