Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Coral
If a lot of people take this stance, then I think it'll be even tougher for UHD-BD to have a chance.
There are a lot of BD movies that don't come with a DVD copy - and DVDs are much cheaper to make. I think the cost of BDs will make the bundling of it with UHD-BDs more rare since it'll drive up the cost too much.
I can't see them bundling UHD-Blu-ray/Blu-ray/DVD and Digital codes all in one package either.

The Blu-ray/DVD combos made sense because DVDs were cheap to include, they were more versatile for computers, portable DVD players, secondary set-ups etc.

Blu-ray is already somewhat of an elite format (compared to DVD) that is still relatively expensive to manufacture, not compatible with most computers & portable players and secondary set-ups are usually still DVD, all of which make them useless in the eyes of any cutting-edge UHD-Blu-ray buyer.
Old 01-10-16, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Price and what's in the product itself beyond the specs would get me to buy it.

As of right now? Don't care for it.
Old 01-10-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
This entirely. Sony was ruthless getting Blu-ray to market so they could control EVERYTHING from the point of manufacturing fees to Blu-ray players and everything that had their logo.

Now?

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to even cut a niche market more by launching their own version of Ultra-HD. UBD or some crap, and most of those will be upconverted BD releases.
You do realize that UHD-Bluray was heavily pushed, by Sony Creative Software, into the BDA as the further evoltuion of Blu-ray Disc? No way do they cut it's legs out from underneath opening the possibilty of another format being pitched in the future.
Old 01-10-16, 05:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

I think I'm in denial that I would have to collect and new medium. Long live bluray...
Old 01-10-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If my current Bluray player died in the next couple years and there were midrange UHD players that played both Blu and DVD, I'd probably get a player. But I'm certainly not rushing out for one on launch day.
Old 01-10-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember all the excitement when bluray and hddvd first came out? I don't feel any of that for UHD-blurays.
Old 01-10-16, 11:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Was that excitement? I guess a lack of a format war this time doesn't make it as exciting.
Old 01-10-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Remember all the excitement when bluray and hddvd first came out? I don't feel any of that for UHD-blurays.
There is definitely less enthusiasm on the Internet this time for a new format. Blu-ray discussion forums have died a soft death in the past couple of years as it has become old hat for most owners.

I really thought the winner of the HD DVD/Blu-ray format war would have been more successful in the marketplace. There was so much hope in 2006 since most wanted a better alternative to DVD.
Old 01-11-16, 07:36 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
If my current Bluray player died in the next couple years and there were midrange UHD players that played both Blu and DVD, I'd probably get a player. But I'm certainly not rushing out for one on launch day.
Same here.

Back in the day, I was tempted to pick up a PS3 shortly after its release. But I came to the realization that there were hardly any video games I was interested in, and hardly any first-released bluray movies which interested me.

(Eventually I picked up an Xbox360, instead of a PS3. By then, I didn't care anymore about any bluray functionality).
Old 01-11-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Considering my own Oppo BDP-93 became a literal brick with them not being very helpful at all, I'd invest in a Samsung or Panasonic player, where both companies are heavily invested and don't rely on their hip name to sell products exclusively, and will take off their beanies and put down their $10 coffee drinks to actually trouble-shoot an issue. You'll save a lot of money and headache.

Not saying I won't EVER buy an Oppo again, but with technology changing so fast, Oppo let me down and wasn't offering solutions to my Blu-ray issues. I mean, it literally stopped working after about 2 years. Out of warranty. I was fucked. My $80 Samsung BD player performs about as good (actually loads discs quicker), and I haven't had any issues (other than the top touch-navigation being super sensitive but I don't normally use it to eject or play discs anyway as I use the remote). It also navigates much quicker through online streaming apps.

I'm sure we'll have some Oppo users claim just the opposite, and I welcome that input, but Oppo is not all that, and has went the way of so many other tech companies, which is, bending over to the studios and making their products incompatible with discs because of ever-changing software protection paranoia.
I obviously can't speak to your specific experience, but in general OPPO has excellent customer service. Sorry to hear that they weren't helpful to you.

That said, if you think either Samsung or Panasonic will give a flying crap about you if your player dies after the warranty has expired, the only person you're fooling is yourself.
Old 01-11-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would care a lot less though if my $100 Samsung or Panasonic blu ray player crapped out versus my $500 OPPO player.
Old 01-11-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My Oppo BDP-83 has served me well for quite some time, and to my surprise last year Oppo actually helped out the legacy owners who couldn't play new Fox discs (again) like X-Men DOFP with a new firmware. I fully expect to have to get a new player soon but since my Oppo is region-free modded internally I'm sticking with it as long as I can. The PS4 is right next to it if I can't play a new disc in it. Well worth the $500 I paid for it.
Old 01-12-16, 01:45 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The other big thing I'm taking a wait-and-see approach in regard to ultra hd bluray, is whether the computer optical drive manufacturers bother to release models which can read the ultra hd bluray discs.

Already in the case of bd-r computer optical drives, there's only really two (and a half) manufacturers left who are still actively making OEM bd-r drives:

LG and Pioneer. (The "... and a half" is Samsung).

Most of the other companies in the optical drive business, seemed to have stopped manufacturing bd-r drives and/or are just selling off the remaining inventory.

If there is no way of checking ultra hd bluray discs on the computer, then I will probably not buy uhd bluray at all. (ie. I have a paranoia of random bad sectors on optical discs due to manufacturing defects and/or disc rot).
Old 01-15-16, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

this time 10 years ago (exactly) I was chomping at the bit to at least see what HD/1080p would be like. Even though I only had an XGA projector, at the right price point ($500) I was ready to jump in.

In contrast my apathy to 4K right now is even more pronounced than my enthusiasm was then. I could care less, but not by much. By the end of 2006 my focus was all about "when is ___ gonna get released (on HDDVD)?!?" .
I know for the next several years at least that my focus will still be "when the hell is ____ gonna be released on BD?!?" and not "OMG, why is it taking so long for ____ to be released in 4K?!?"

Also as i look to the years ahead and start to envision equipment upgrades, I can honestly say a 4K player is nowhere on the list.
Old 01-15-16, 11:46 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm not sure if it was this thread or a Vudu thread, but isn't there a Disc-To-Digital program to upgrade from Blu-ray Disc to Ultra HD Digital? I saw on the Vudu page that the Ultra HD movies run $30 each, so I wouldn't mind getting a better price with the DTD.
Old 01-15-16, 12:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm hoping Vudu has that in the pipeline. What I'd like clarification on is if the digital codes that come with the UHD discs are for 4k. I haven't read anything on it yet, but my guess is they'll be 1080p since they're being bundled with regular blu's. But right now, not offering an upgrade to 4k is kind of stupid.
Old 01-15-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Yes. It has a taking area almost twice as large.
I learned something new today.
Old 01-15-16, 12:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,185 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'm hoping Vudu has that in the pipeline. What I'd like clarification on is if the digital codes that come with the UHD discs are for 4k. I haven't read anything on it yet, but my guess is they'll be 1080p since they're being bundled with regular blu's. But right now, not offering an upgrade to 4k is kind of stupid.
What I don't like about Vudu right now is that I have some titles in my library that have a fancy new "Vudu UHD" flag above the artwork, but of course, I only have the "HDX" version available to me. I don't expect a free upgrade or anything, but I don't want it flagged that way unless that's the copy I own. Further, if I have HDX, and they want me to upgrade to UHD, maybe make it $5 instead of full price. I'd upgrade Mad Max and Edge of Tomorrow instantly at that price if I could.
Old 01-24-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

And the picture quality of those ads is better than any video I've seen online!
Old 01-25-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The digital streaming ads and promos are for Millennials. I don't think the studios really believe UHD will be supported by them. UHD will mostly exist for older, richer consumers that still shop retail. It's mostly about hooking the current Blu-ray owners on to one more format while they still can.
Old 01-25-16, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

How are they going to convince consumers to buy UHD-BR when they are basically poking-fun at the fact that you just purchased an antiquated, cumbersome Blu-ray disc for $20 when you should be using their cloud service?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rHbr_SPoAXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-25-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Studios aren't anti-disc. Otherwise they wouldn't be releasing on UHD BD at all. They would prefer people buy digital because margins are greater. But like the CD they realize that the hardcores will always want physical media.

The ad is just reaching out to those who may want to consider going digital (in part or in whole) and to those who don't buy physical (who are watching someone else's disc) but would be open to owning digital copies.
Old 01-29-16, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pre ordered my Samsung player from amazon but no release date yet. i heard its early march?
Old 01-29-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Last I heard we're supposed to get it in a couple of weeks. That's from Best Buy though, but I assume Amazon will be around the same time frame.

Not going to do a whole lot of good though with no new movies, but at least we can play around with the player a little, check to see if it upscales better than the TV, etc. Hopefully the movies will get released earlier than planned as well, but this "launch" does seem very ho-hum and informal, as if there is little cohesion, like a ship without a captain.
Old 01-29-16, 06:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

you guys, stop supporting this medium!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.