Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

It is true, the only discs I ever had rot were some old Technidisc laserdiscs, and a few 3M ones. Thankfully, I was able to transfer those into a digital form before the rot got the better of them. hooray for no protection on the analog LDs.

I've never had a rot problem with any DVD or Blu-ray I've purchased. Even then, thanks to the wonderous folks at Slysoft, if I want to make a personal backup, I can. It's peace of mind, and, again, I'm the one fully in control.
Old 08-31-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, AnyDVD HD helps take the concept of control to another level, that's for sure. I use it to backup anything that's rare or expensive, or a disc that I feel may be prone to rot some day. It also comes in handy for converting HD DVDs to Blu-ray, or adding subtitles.
Old 09-01-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Well, I found a used copy of Airplane! The Don't Call me Shirley edition, that has that extended option. It looked perfectly fine but it kept glitching out the first time Joey was in the cockpit.

No visible damage, just doesn't want to play.
Good thing I still have the original version.
Old 09-01-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Netflix 4K PQ has been getting a lot of praise, which bodes a lot better than somebody speculating based on specs. Quality is just as good or slightly better than Blu-ray.
Wow, Netflix 4k looks as good as 1080p Blu-ray? High praise indeed.
Old 09-01-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Good lord, enough with the disc rot argument. I have over 2k blu rays and have yet to run into one single copy that has been rotted. And this dates back to when I started collecting blu's back in 2007, and I've been watching 3-5 discs per week. If you buy the blu-ray, plain and simple, you control every aspect of the movie without any further studio involvement.
But... but... but... a tornado could hit your house and suck your Blu-ray collection out the window, transporting it to the magical land of Oz - thus proving that physical media is inferior to streaming!

Old 09-01-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Wow, Netflix 4k looks as good as 1080p Blu-ray? High praise indeed.
What do you expect, UHD BD quality? If you can get 1080p Blu-ray quality from streaming then it's natural that people will be saying good things about the PQ, whether they are accustomed to Blu-ray quality or not. People have been high praising Blu-ray quality for years, and all of sudden Netflix can match it and its rolleyes, eh?
Old 09-01-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

^ Well if I just bought a brand new 4K TV and am consuming a lot more bandwidth on my limited monthly cap with my ISP - I wouldn't be too happy if I'm only getting 1080p BD picture quality.
Old 09-01-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

What do you expect, UHD BD quality?
To be fair, since streaming services like Netflix are going to be the main way people see 4K content (even after UHD BD launches!), it does get 4K off to a rough start if it looks as if it has a quarter of the resolution it should.
Old 09-01-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
To be fair, since streaming services like Netflix are going to be the main way people see 4K content (even after UHD BD launches!), it does get 4K off to a rough start if it looks as if it has a quarter of the resolution it should.
For one thing, it's not a quarter of the resolution. And another, since it's only a resolution upgrade, most people aren't going to see the difference anyway. When UHD BD comes out, I think people are going to be disappointed in the marginal improvement (and only noticeable at close range). HDR will make a difference, but then Netflix will have HDR as well. So it's really not fair to make fun of Netflix just because their 4K content is 'only' Blu-ray quality, because there is so much diminished returns once you get past 1080p. And if you sit more than 1.5x from your display, then 4k resolution is actually overkill (unless you eyesight is better than 20-20). How many people watch closer than that?
Old 09-01-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For one thing, it's not a quarter of the resolution.
I'm not talking about pixel count so much as perception: y'know, if Netflix 4K is all but indistinguishable from 1080p, and 1080p is less than a quarter of the resolution of "real" 4K... If most people's introduction to 4K is through a service where 4K looks like something that's been available for a decade, why would anyone care about 4K?
Old 09-01-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm not talking about pixel count so much as perception: y'know, if Netflix 4K is all but indistinguishable from 1080p, and 1080p is less than a quarter of the resolution of "real" 4K... If most people's introduction to 4K is through a service where 4K looks like something that's been available for a decade, why would anyone care about 4K?
It's all relative. There's actually a bigger jump in Netflix PQ from 1080p to 4k, then there is from 1080p Blu-ray to 4K M-GO or Sony Unlimited download 4K. So really what impresses people regarding Netflix 4K is that jump in PQ from what they were used to seeing with Netflix 1080p (which really is about equivalent to 720p on disc). But what impresses me is just the fact that streaming can now look as good as or slightly better than Blu-ray. I never thought we'd see that so soon.

Let's hope the level of improvement is the same with UHD BD vs. 1080p BD.
Old 09-03-15, 10:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So black is the new blu. I may jump in when the players hit sub $200. And are they going to price the 4k blu's higher because they're 4k? I'm smelling a $34.99 price range when these come out. Yet another reason why this may be DOA.
Old 09-03-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

At least the player isn't as clunky-looking as some of those first-generation Blu-ray and HD-DVD players.
Old 09-04-15, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I wonder if the digital HD code will be for the 4k version?
Old 09-04-15, 09:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
My price point will still be $10 ($20 for a Criterion).

The only way I'll build any collection of 4K titles (even without a 4K TV and player) is if it's one of those combos and it hits my price point. Otherwise, sorry - not biting.
Same here, although slightly adjusted for the CAD exchange rate . I'm going to take this generation MUCH slower than I did with HD-DVD/Blu-ray. Much less disposable income and much less desire to "own everything." I'll buy the discs, sure, but only when they reach prices I'm happy with. And I won't buy a 'basic' 4K player until they're $200, or if OPPO jumps in I'll wait for their second model (won't jump in on the first one).

Originally Posted by orangerunner
At least the player isn't as clunky-looking as some of those first-generation Blu-ray and HD-DVD players.
seriously.

Old 09-04-15, 11:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I wonder if the digital HD code will be for the 4k version?
I'm guessing 1080p. I don't know of any digital service like Vudu that offers 4k. At least not anytime soon. And defintitely not when these UHD discs come out.
Old 09-04-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Their 2D resolution likely isn't even 4K. This isn't a good start.
As I posted a little bit up thread, only one of the titles Fox announced is truly 4K -- The Maze Runner. There's still HDR and a wider color gamut, though.

I'm not defending their selection of titles, although if Fox were to limit to only true 4K titles, they'd have almost nothing to choose from across the past decade and a half. (I hate that upscaled titles still have that "4K" banner, and I really wish there were at least one classic title in the mix, as Giles said.)

At the same time, the lack of a UHD BD version of these movies in 3D doesn't erase the regular BD 3D releases. While I do wish that 3D were part of the spec, I'll admit to not getting the indignation. The lack of high frame rates seems like a bigger deal since there's no way to view that content at home.
Old 09-05-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Yep, I'll never watch The Hobbit movies at home until they can do those at the right frame rate (AND in 3D!) Movies shot on actual FILM would've been the best way to showcase this format. Just hope they have everything ironed out by the time I can afford it.
Old 09-06-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Movies shot on actual FILM would've been the best way to showcase this format.
Completely agree. But, for them, 4k 35mm or 70mm film scans would be too expensive, so they take the lazy way out by releasing some trashy recent films shot in digital as the 4k launch. Way to go, Fox!
Old 09-06-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Depends - then people would complain and say "how many times are they going to release the same film on a different format?" At least now, for the most part, they're releasing new(er) films.
Old 09-06-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I think a great way to show off the stunning resolution of the new 4k format would be to go all out, spend the money, and release a stupendous 4k scan of a popular and relevant 70mm catalog film. Blow our socks off by giving us a 4k release of an epic film like BEN HUR or 2001, even a 35mm vault classic like CASABLANCA or OUT OF THE PAST and let the resolution speak for itself. It would practically be like seeing a new film, perhaps better than the original theatrical presentation.

For those who've got the money, time, inclination, and maturity to upgrade to 4k systems, I think that audience would truly appreciate it. The 1%, the true film buffs.
Old 09-06-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The Wizard of Oz was one of the first regular DVDs released, and used by many to show off how good they thought the format was.
Old 09-06-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Well, I think a great way to show off the stunning resolution of the new 4k format would be to go all out, spend the money, and release a stupendous 4k scan of a popular and relevant 70mm catalog film. Blow our socks off by giving us a 4k release of an epic film like BEN HUR or 2001, even a 35mm vault classic like CASABLANCA or OUT OF THE PAST and let the resolution speak for itself. It would practically be like seeing a new film, perhaps better than the original theatrical presentation.

For those who've got the money, time, inclination, and maturity to upgrade to 4k systems, I think that audience would truly appreciate it. The 1%, the true film buffs.

Sure, in theory that could work, but they want to actually sell these things, so they're going to release the popcorn blockbuster type films on the format first. Only cinephiles would want to get Ben Hur, Casablanca, etc., again on this format right out of the gate. I mean Blu-ray already caters to a niche market anyway, so why would they want to have UHD cater to an even smaller market than Blu-ray?
Old 09-06-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

UHD almost certainly will cater to a smaller market than Blu-ray ever did due to the rise of streaming. UHD will be for those wealthy movie lovers that have sunk tens of thousands into their home theaters. It's a subset of the current Blu-ray market. The Hollywood studios have no delusions about UHD becoming more popular than DVD. Those salad days are over.

UHD is about providing a premium format to keep their presence around in the retail channel.
Old 09-06-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

To be fair, we only know seven titles from Fox. There could very well be classic films at launch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.