Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Woah, count me surprised! Or, we have 5 scalpers each ordering 200 copies?
Apparently Shout Factory limited the LE to 2 copies per customer! Pretty crazy that it's selling so quickly for that price.
Old 07-03-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Never seen this film so I don't think I'll drop $80 on the limited edition set. I may check out the regular release though.
Old 07-03-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Apparently Shout Factory limited the LE to 2 copies per customer! Pretty crazy that it's selling so quickly for that price.
I feel like it's going to get nuts once allotted copies get out to other distributors. I know a lot of people probably are holding out from pre-ordering from Shout Factory because they only have Debit Cards available to them.

I pre-ordered today. I Didn't want to chance it.
Old 07-03-14, 08:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the thing, even with additional scenes restored, Nightbreed is still a very flawed film. I did see the Cabal Cut and it was an interesting curiosity. I'm not sure I can justify spending $80 on this, considering that one of the special features is the theatrical cut that nobody wants in the first place. I do want to see the special features, but are they worth an almost $60 premium?
Old 07-03-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I feel like it's going to get nuts once allotted copies get out to other distributors. I know a lot of people probably are holding out from pre-ordering from Shout Factory because they only have Debit Cards available to them.

I pre-ordered today. I Didn't want to chance it.
I don't know about debit cards I'm just not a fan of being charged before I receive my item on a pre-order. That's why I don't order from Shout Factory directly. I'll wait for amazon.
Old 07-03-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't know about debit cards I'm just not a fan of being charged before I receive my item on a pre-order. That's why I don't order from Shout Factory directly. I'll wait for amazon.
I asked their CS about this and with Paypal/Debit Cards your account is charged right away. With Credit Cards an authorization charge goes through and then disappears days after. The CS email said they don't freeze money in your account or anything like that if you use a Credit Card.
Old 07-03-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Here's the thing, even with additional scenes restored, Nightbreed is still a very flawed film. I did see the Cabal Cut and it was an interesting curiosity. I'm not sure I can justify spending $80 on this, considering that one of the special features is the theatrical cut that nobody wants in the first place. I do want to see the special features, but are they worth an almost $60 premium?
No special features are worth $60. Now, I do get that Scream put forth a lot of time, money and effort into making this happen, but they also forget the average consumer doesn't care about THEIR costs, they care about what they're going to have to pay. But so far, seems to be working out for them.
Old 07-03-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They've gained a fanbase and know that there's a certain segment of collectors who will buy the limited edition at that price I'm sure. I just hope that this type of thing doesn't become a trend with them because I like them and like supporting the titles they put out. I don't want this to start happening often though.
Old 07-03-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I asked their CS about this and with Paypal/Debit Cards your account is charged right away. With Credit Cards an authorization charge goes through and then disappears days after. The CS email said they don't freeze money in your account or anything like that if you use a Credit Card.
Ah, that I did not know.
Old 07-03-14, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered one the other night since both versions are included. Didn't expect them to sell 1000 so fast at this price.
Old 07-03-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just to be clear, the "Director's Cut" featured in this release has never been seen before, it has been edited with supervision from Barker specifically for this release. The Cabal Cut had all existing footage thrown in, but wasn't necessarily a better movie. With this cut they've cut out superfluous/redundant footage but stayed faithful to the director's original vision.
Old 07-04-14, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

This announcement gives me flashbacks to the 90's when most Criterion laserdiscs were $80 or more. I never did buy a single Criterion laser that was more than $50...that was my cut-off price point.

When it becomes available on Amazon (and other etailers), Nightbreed will be the first film I ever paid more than $50 for.
Old 07-04-14, 02:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Just to be clear, the "Director's Cut" featured in this release has never been seen before, it has been edited with supervision from Barker specifically for this release. The Cabal Cut had all existing footage thrown in, but wasn't necessarily a better movie. With this cut they've cut out superfluous/redundant footage but stayed faithful to the director's original vision.
I'm aware that this is not the Cabal cut. I'm not begrudging anyone who buys the LE, I just think it's not for me. I just wish instead of the DVD I don't need, the standard release had the disc of special features.
Old 07-04-14, 03:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

^ yeah, it's too bad about the DVD combo. so stupid. could have been at least the theatrical cut on the disc or something. stupid.
Old 07-04-14, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scream Factory stated Warner would only let them print 5,000 copies of the theatrical cut. That's why it's a limited edition.
Old 07-04-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That sounds right, Warner hates licensing things out in the first place. I think Clive Barker demanded they license it out, since WB was unlikely to ever release it themselves.
Old 07-04-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
They've gained a fanbase and know that there's a certain segment of collectors who will buy the limited edition at that price I'm sure. I just hope that this type of thing doesn't become a trend with them because I like them and like supporting the titles they put out. I don't want this to start happening often though.
It sort of already is. In order to get the producers cut of Halloween VI you have to buy the limited deluxe boxed set of all ten movies. Looks like they might release it later, but nothing is firm yet.
Old 07-05-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It sort of already is. In order to get the producers cut of Halloween VI you have to buy the limited deluxe boxed set of all ten movies. Looks like they might release it later, but nothing is firm yet.
Yeah. Thing is though even though that Halloween complete box set is kind of expensive you at least get all the films so it's really not that bad broken down. I agree that it would have been nice if just Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers would have been made available outside of the box set along with the Producer's Cut of the film, but I can see why they put it in the box (it is sort of a big deal that it's the first box set to have all the films).

In the case of Nightbreed though it just seems a bit excessive that a limited edition of one film (with two different cuts) is going for $80.
Old 07-05-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pre-ordered the Halloween boxset because I'm a fan of that franchise, and it seems definitive. Probably the only people interested in the producer's cut of Halloween 6 are diehard fans of the franchise, it may not be worth putting out a definitive version of Halloween 6 by itself. It's a 15 disk boxset featuring 10 movies which is listed as less than $120 on Amazon for preorder. $12 per film seems pretty reasonable for me, although I'd prefer to be able to be able to opt out of the Rob Zombie versions, it's still a decent price for a new set I'll be very excited to delve into this October.

As for Nightbreed, you're paying $55 extra for a disk of extras and the theatrical cut. A bit harder to justify. Then again, this is a pretty unique case in regard to all of the footage that was considered lost or garbage quality for so many years. With the way the LE copies are selling, it certainly seems like the demand is there even at $80.
Old 07-05-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I demand for $80 makes sense given the rarity of the content and it's overall cult status. I won't deny that $80 is a lot of money but this is the market we live in nowadays when it comes to niche catalog titles. I would love to know what other titles Shout has up their sleeves.
Old 07-05-14, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I demand for $80 makes sense given the rarity of the content and it's overall cult status. I won't deny that $80 is a lot of money but this is the market we live in nowadays when it comes to niche catalog titles. I would love to know what other titles Shout has up their sleeves.
The Magnificent Ambersons: The Director's cut....LE at only 3,000 copies for $149.99
Old 07-05-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

On paper the price of the Halloween box doesn't sound too bad, but many people likely have a number of those releases already... AFAIK, most of those discs in that set are probably identical to, or almost identical to, the existing blu-ray discs. And most of the people interested in this set will already have them.

Which also brings up another point. They are taking advanced orders for these pricey limited edition sets without releasing the full specs. We still don't know what the special features on either the Hallowen LE or the Nightbreed LE/SE are. It would be nice to know what's going to be on that Nightbreed bonus disc that's exclusive to the LE, and what new (and old) content is going to be on the Halloween set.
Old 07-05-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it sucks for people who all ready own a few of the films, I know the remastered Halloween bluray is pretty great. Patience pays off with the home video market. I always wait for a definitive version to be released, and then go on sale, they always do eventually. The horror genre especially usually gets big franchise boxsets that are cheaper to buy than each individual film, it happened with DVD, and it's happening with BluRay. I think horror fans tend to be a bit fanatical about their favorites, which might make us suckers when it comes to these releases.

I agree with you about the secret supplements, I can't imagine why they won't share those with us. These releases are just a few months away, they must know what extras will be included. I fear that Nightbreed might have some underwhelming features, and Shout Factory just wants to coast on the new cut as a selling point, either way, it's bizarre.
Old 07-05-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PfR73
Scream Factory stated Warner would only let them print 5,000 copies of the theatrical cut. That's why it's a limited edition.
I just got to that part in the interview with Cliff MacMillan I'm listening to.

Anyone who is curious about this release should listen to this interview!

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2014/...cream-factory/

Still surprised that Warner letting Shout Factory release the Theatrical Cut on Blu-Ray, as they are still selling the DVD on their Archives brand.

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-05-14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
On paper the price of the Halloween box doesn't sound too bad, but many people likely have a number of those releases already... AFAIK, most of those discs in that set are probably identical to, or almost identical to, the existing blu-ray discs. And most of the people interested in this set will already have them.
I suppose that's true but I still don't think it's all that bad. I mean ten films and bonus material plus various cuts of Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers for the price they're charging isn't all that horrible if you ask me. Yeah if you have the other films on Blu-ray already it might piss you off, but let's face it this is one of those franchises that's been and will be double dipped to death for ages and ages. Finally having them all in one box set is pretty nice. Plus I do think that Scream Factory will deliver in the extra features department on that set too. They know it's a pretty big release for themselves to be able to get to do and I really don't see them not trying to stack it with some goodies.

I guess to me even though I own all but a few of them it's easier for me to justify a $120 set for all that's being put in that particular set as opposed to Nightbreed where it's basically $80 for two cuts of the film and some extras. I know it's being justified by the fact that they're putting a lot of effort into releasing the title and that Warner let them license out the theatrical cut but even so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.