Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Details here.
Old 07-01-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory

Or here...
Old 07-01-14, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

ordered the LE. can't wait!!
Old 07-01-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Ordered the limited edition. Haven't seen it since I watched it back in the day with some friends as a double feature with Hellraiser.

Last edited by stvn1974; 07-02-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the update for those who haven't heard the news yet.

And I must say I'm extremely excited and surprised by the news! I never thought the film negatives would be located, and never thought the directors cut would ever see the light of day. So 25 years later, it's finally coming true, and I can't wait to see it, since I've been a fan of the film since it's VHS debut!

NIGHTBREED: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT Update!!

We have big news to report to you today regarding a film that we announced almost over a year ago in July. In collaboration with Morgan Creek Productions and Clive Barker’s Seraphim, Inc., the long-awaited NIGHTBREED: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT is scheduled for a release of October 28th and will be available in two retail versions: A 5,000 Unit Limited-Edition 3-Disc Blu-ray™ set and a Special Edition DVD & Blu-ray™ Combo.

In 1990, the film was released theatrically nationwide. However, the movie studio edited the film extensively and several scenes were excised or rearranged – much to Director Clive Barker’s disappointment. Since then, a fan-driven movement was created (www.OccupyMidian.com) to see the full version of the film restored and re-released. Now, after 25 years, fans and horror enthusiasts can finally experience NIGHTBREED like never before! Scream Factory, in conjunction with Warner Bros., was able to find the long-thought-missing original film elements and combed through over 600 boxes to locate not only the lost scenes but a treasure trove of never-before-seen footage as well. With nearly an hour of lost footage meticulously restored, the result is not only a more faithful adaptation of Clive Barker’s book Cabal, but also what he originally intended NIGHTBREED to be.

Official statement from Clive Barker: "This is film history and beyond my wildest dreams of realization. When Scream Factory told me that they found the NIGHTBREED film footage I was gob-smacked! This is the ultimate validation of choices made by myself and Mark Miller [of Seraphim Films] all the way back in 2008. As we embarked down the road of attempting to track down the lost footage, we looked at each other and said, 'Maybe one day they'll find it.' It's my pleasure to announce that the day has come. Speaking personally, I didn't allow myself to believe that it would. Even if we did find some footage (which we did in 2009 in the form of heavily degraded VHS tapes) and even if we did find a company willing to release the film (which we did in 2013 with Scream Factory, God bless them) the prospect of finding the actual lost film materials was remoter than I'd wanted to admit out loud. If the footage could not be found by those who had worked closest on it the same year it had been released, then what were the odds we'd be able to find anything 20 years on? But Scream Factory, in their commendable determination, kept up the search and thanks to them total reconstruction has been made a possibility. There's never been a reconstruction that's had as little chance of succeeding and yet has succeeded on as many fronts as this film has. It's unprecedented. To now have a movie that we can put together in the way that I fully intended it to be seen when I first set out to make this film in 1989 is extraordinary. The project has moved inexorably to this conclusion. Fate and the hard work of individuals such as Mark Miller, Russell Cherrington, Phil and Sarah Stokes, Occupy Midian, Morgan Creek, and ultimately, Scream Factory have made this a possibility and I could not be happier."

Details on the two retail sets are as follows:
LIMITED EDITION SET (ONLY 5,000 NUMBERED SETS PRODUCED):

Disc 1: Unrated Director’s Cut of the film on Blu-ray
Disc 2: The 1990 R-Rated theatrical version of the film on Blu-ray (through a special licensing agreement through Warner Bros.)
Disc 3: EXCLUSIVE-TO-THIS-SET Bonus Blu-ray disc packed with extras (details forthcoming)
Includes Collector’s Book with an essay and rare photos
Slipcase includes newly-designed artwork by Joel Robinson approved by Clive Barker

**NOTE: Those who order the Limited Edition set directly from www.ScreamfactoryDVD.com will also receive an exclusive 18”x24” poster of the newly designed artwork (available while supplies last)! The Scream Factory site will also receive the first 1,000 numbered copies.**

SPECIAL EDITION SET:

- Disc 1: Unrated Director’s Cut of the film on Blu-ray plus bonus features (details forthcoming)
- Disc 2: Unrated Director’s Cut of the film on DVD (details forthcoming)
- Slipcase includes artwork designed by Ralph McQuarrie approved by Clive Barker
Old 07-02-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pre-ordered the Limited Edition as well
Old 07-02-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Will probably order the Limited Edition set but will wait for it to be available discounted with online retailers as the poster and numbering mean shit to me.
Old 07-02-14, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Will probably order the Limited Edition set but will wait for it to be available discounted with online retailers as the poster and numbering mean shit to me.
All 5000 of the LE are numbered. The only thing you are getting "extra" from Shout Factory are the poster and 2 week earlier shipping. I am definitely not interested in the poster unless it was signed by C. Barker so will be ordering from Amazon. Plus I will not pre-order from Shout since they are charging via debit card nearly 4 1/2 months in advance. This is completely unacceptable.
Old 07-02-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

What if it sellout before it hit retailers? I can see it going for $9,000 on secondary markets.
Old 07-02-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just when I was becoming a big fan of Shout (have over 10 titles of theirs after their promotions last year), they come up with this LE strategy. I'm out. Not going to buy LE releases at those prices, or bare bones standard releases at their usual higher prices.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-02-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
What if it sellout before it hit retailers? I can see it going for $9,000 on secondary markets.
Then I might have to cave in
Old 07-02-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This is Nightbreed, not a huge franchise like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street. I doubt the 5000 units will be sold out by Christmas. You have a dedicated base of around 3000 to 4000 horror buyers on Blu-ray and then sales become very iffy, which is why the major studios don't care anymore. If the release was priced at $25, sure. Laying out $60 to $70 for a set like this one is not a light decision.
Old 07-02-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is Nightbreed, not a huge franchise like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street. I doubt the 5000 units will be sold out by Christmas. You have a dedicated base of around 3000 to 4000 horror buyers on Blu-ray and then sales become very iffy, which is why the major studios don't care anymore. If the release was priced at $25, sure. Laying out $60 to $70 for a set like this one is not a light decision.
All it takes is a few scalpers to buy it by the volumes and then...goners!
Old 07-02-14, 03:02 PM

saw one on eBay for $150! c'mon man...
Old 07-02-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 07-02-14, 03:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

since we've created a sub dedicated thread for this release here are the artwork for the two editions:

Old 07-02-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Just curious. How many people preordering have actually seen the Cabal cut? Any in-depth reviews of this version I could be pointed to? Thanks.
Old 07-02-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Just curious. How many people preordering have actually seen the Cabal cut? Any in-depth reviews of this version I could be pointed to? Thanks.
I have preordered the LE but have not seen the Cabal cut (though I had won tickets to a screening last year but I missed it because of traffic)
Old 07-02-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I simply must purchase this like Texas Chainsaw restored... If they are going through the effort I will buy this every time to insure more projects like this get done. I am very interested in seeing the directors cut but...the LE is out of price range at the moment.
Old 07-03-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know people who have seen the Cabal cut in full. The word is that it's excessively long (around 2:45) and messy. Everyone agreed that it needed to be cut down substantially, which is what's happened.
Old 07-03-14, 12:15 PM

i'm just glad we get both cuts. anything less would be epic fail.
Old 07-03-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I know people who have seen the Cabal cut in full. The word is that it's excessively long (around 2:45) and messy. Everyone agreed that it needed to be cut down substantially, which is what's happened.
The Cabal cut kept evolving. It should be appropriate to say "cuts" since there were so many but as they evolved, they kept getting shorter and I think the latest version was closer to 2 hours. Since Shout found the negatives, this should be the definitive cut.
Old 07-03-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

At $80, it had better be as absolutely perfect a technical presentation as it is possible to make (a full BD50, no DNR, no tealization, intact grain structure, etc). The fans will demand no less.

Even so, I hope this is one instance where the scalpers' game comes back and bites them on the ass. At 5000 copies, it seems supply will be plentiful for quite awhile, and the scalpers may just be competing against each other to move their product.
Old 07-03-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Even so, I hope this is one instance where the scalpers' game comes back and bites them on the ass. At 5000 copies, it seems supply will be plentiful for quite awhile, and the scalpers may just be competing against each other to move their product.
I'm not so sure about that. Shout Factory sold the first 1,000 overnight after the announcement. Diabolik had it up for preorder and had to take it down because their servers were being crashed by folks trying to order it.
Old 07-03-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm not so sure about that. Shout Factory sold the first 1,000 overnight after the announcement. Diabolik had it up for preorder and had to take it down because their servers were being crashed by folks trying to order it.
Woah, count me surprised! Or, we have 5 scalpers each ordering 200 copies?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.