Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Well, I can't say I HATE Twilight Time. Any company in today's industry putting forth the effort to release catalog titles that the studios can't be bothered with, gets a lot of credit. Their extremely high pricing and the obvious 'collector's mentality' which keeps prices artificially high, I despise.

My sentiments are almost the same for the Warner Archive Collection, but at least I've gotten some of their titles at less than $10 each, including shipping, when they have their Thanksgiving / Christmas sales.

TT would be greatly more successful if they knocked off the 'limited edition' bullshit, and, say, once a year threw us a bone by offering a $5-10 discount and / or free shipping promotion.
Old 06-10-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zyzzle
TT would be greatly more successful if they knocked off the 'limited edition' bullshit, and, say, once a year threw us a bone by offering a $5-10 discount and / or free shipping promotion.
A Frequent Buyer Points program like DVD Planet uses would be a welcome idea as well. Is Enemy Mine the fall 'Sci-fi Classic' that TT had hinted at earlier? How can a film from such relatively recent vintage be a classic?
Old 06-10-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And it's a FOX movie, how can they be releasing it?
Old 06-10-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Well, I can't say I HATE Twilight Time. Any company in today's industry putting forth the effort to release catalog titles that the studios can't be bothered with, gets a lot of credit. Their extremely high pricing and the obvious 'collector's mentality' which keeps prices artificially high, I despise.

My sentiments are almost the same for the Warner Archive Collection, but at least I've gotten some of their titles at less than $10 each, including shipping, when they have their Thanksgiving / Christmas sales.

I just don't understand how Criterion can make a profit by charging high prices, but also makes sure to give its customers nice packaging and great special features and TT can't. To me, it's seems like it's a choice. Even if Sony won't license them any special features, why not make a few of their own? I also don't believe that if Criterion had gotten this release that it wouldn't have sold more than 3,000 units. If I had the time, I would have bought and bunch of these, wait until they went OOP, and then sold them on ebay and Amazon for $100 each when it does sell out. You don't have to sell that many copies at those prices for it to cover the cost of the new plasma or a new receiver and speakers or cover your budget for blus for the rest of the year.

Titles like Fright Night have a REALLY dedicated, even if relatively small, fan base and they are exact demo that I would think uses message board like this to get info on releases. AGAIG is more mainstream, in my opinion, but if there were fliers at BB, Target and Wal-Mart, letting the general public know this film was being sold on blu, even at a ridiculous price, it would have sold out by now.

If every title I still owned or wanted from dvd was licensed only to Criterion it would certainly hurt my bank account, but I'd pay for them and feel like at least I was getting my money's worth.

With As Good As It Gets, I simply had no other choice. I kept the dvd to make a combo pack, because a commentary with Jack is definitely worth keeping in my opinion.
Old 06-10-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
And it's a FOX movie, how can they be releasing it?
They've released several Fox titles, including Journey and Demetrius.
Old 06-11-12, 12:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah ok, thanks for that info NoirFan! Guess I have to watch out now for when they release it.
Old 06-11-12, 10:45 AM

I'm definitely in for "Enemy Mine". I can't complain about Twilight Time too much. The audio and video is always top tier and without them these titles would never have seen the light of day on Blu-ray.
Old 06-11-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Agreed on the A/V department. TT makes the effort to author their releases *well*, with intact grain structure, no DNR, and usually Dual Layer BD50s are used, with encodes at very high bitrates. For this, I say Bravo, and wish Warner and, especially, Olive films would take the hint and beef up their encodes and bitrates... It really does make a difference.
Old 06-11-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

but does it come with a magnet?
Old 06-12-12, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I'm definitely in for "Enemy Mine". I can't complain about Twilight Time too much. The audio and video is always top tier and without them these titles would never have seen the light of day on Blu-ray.

Yup.
People complaining about TT just don't have a clue, or are cheap.
I'd rather have high quality expensive versions of movies I enjoy than not have them at all.
People need to get over it.
Old 06-12-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Night of the Living Dead remake will be mine. Speaking of, I can't believe the original doesn't have a US release yet.
Old 06-13-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Fuck, wish I wouldn't have recently bought Those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machines. Highly recommended by the way, especially if you like It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-13-12 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-13-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A Frequent Buyer Points program like DVD Planet uses would be a welcome idea as well. Is Enemy Mine the fall 'Sci-fi Classic' that TT had hinted at earlier? How can a film from such relatively recent vintage be a classic?
Yeah, I wasn't thinking along the lines of Enemy Mine when they said a classic was coming.

Hopefully we get some more of the vintage stuff like The Fly eventually, either through them or from Fox directly, or through some other licensing deal.
Old 06-15-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just received an email from Screen Archives that Mysterious Island and Journey to the Center of the Earth are down to under 500 copies each.
Old 06-15-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Just received an email from Screen Archives that Mysterious Island and Journey to the Center of the Earth are down to under 500 copies each.
Good thing I have both already...
Old 06-16-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still plenty of copies of the Egyptian left! But seriously, if folks are looking for something to pair with Island or Journey, I really recommend Rapture - I found it to be a genuinely moving and visually gorgeous film.
Old 06-16-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad they couldn't get savini to restore dome cut footage to his notld remake.
I want it tho...
Old 06-16-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Still plenty of copies of the Egyptian left! But seriously, if folks are looking for something to pair with Island or Journey, I really recommend Rapture - I found it to be a genuinely moving and visually gorgeous film.
I second Rapture.
Old 06-17-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I threw Rapture into my last order. Haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it, but the B&W imagery sure looks nice.

Ever announcement after Bite The Bullet has been a big 'meh' for me. Was considering Bell, Book, and Candle, Cover Girl, and The Wayward Bus- but none of these are essentials and at $35 (PLUS shipping!) are well out of impulse range for me. As a prior laserdisc collector, I don't begrudge the price tag at all. But just like with laserdisc, my purchases are going to be a lot more careful and considered.

The way things are looking, and since I want to order enough things at once to ensure them being sent in a box, I may not be placing an order for anything until November at the earliest. Not the way I expected this year to go at all.
Old 06-19-12, 02:20 PM

Also really enjoyed rapture, despite my issues with the massively inappropriate age difference between the girl and the male lead. Very unique and looks amazing and the essay included really does a great job at assessing the film critically.
Old 07-04-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-04-12, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for Bye Bye Birdie!
Old 07-04-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd buy a poster of that Birdie cover art.
Old 07-04-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Can't wait for Bye Bye Birdie!
Me too, I have never seen it but that one episode of Mad Men compelled me to watch the opening song over and over.
Old 07-11-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Journey is down to 108 copies, Island 279.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.