Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Neeb
Killer Elite is a must because of the 'Noon Wine' inclusion.

Has that one ever been on disc or even VHS?
It's been released on DVD, non-anamorphic.
Old 06-07-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Educate me on Salvador. I've seen that Amazon Instant Video has it, free with Prime. It is on my watch list. I Know that it has James Woods and it's by Oliver Stone. But that's it. From the cover on AIV... Is Woods a photographer of some sort?
Yes, James Woods plays a photojournalist caught up in South American revolution and America's involvement therin. Great dialogue, great music and an essential performance by Woods. It's a good sample of when both Woods and Oliver Stone had fire in their bellies.
Old 06-08-14, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Twilight Time has indicated that they have 12 more Woody Allen films in the pipeline.
I am going to hold out and wait for them to release all their Woody Allen films in a box set for $499.
Old 06-08-14, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
Yes, James Woods plays a photojournalist caught up in South American revolution and America's involvement therin. Great dialogue, great music and an essential performance by Woods. It's a good sample of when both Woods and Oliver Stone had fire in their bellies.
I think the aspect that initially hooked me was that it plays out for at least the first half like a typical road trip movie. It's the trip from/to hell but...
Like Man Hunt, the more I reflect on it the more I wouldn't mind seeing it again. It's been about a quarter of a century since the last time I watched it.

And yes, good use of music.
Old 06-18-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Fyi, Twilight Time posted the following low stock warnings on facebook yesterday:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia: under 500 copies remain
Rollerball: under 500 copies remain
Wild at Heart: under 400 copies remain

I would imagine these will all be gone in the next couple of days at most, so if you're interested, now's the time to pull the trigger. Complaints about Twilight Time's business model to re-commence in 3...2...1...
Old 06-18-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I would have thought Wild at Heart would be an instant sell-out.
Old 06-18-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would have thought Wild at Heart would be an instant sell-out.
Despite all of the gnashing of teeth over limited runs and fast sell-outs, I'm pretty sure Christine and Night of the Living Dead are the only titles that were instant sell-outs. Those two along with Fright Night have caused 99% of the panic/anger associated with the label. I would even argue that a good chunk of the other titles that have sold out only sold out because of all of the controversy generated by those three.
Old 06-18-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Horror fans be cray-cray!
Old 06-24-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Fyi, Twilight Time posted the following low stock warnings on facebook yesterday:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia: under 500 copies remain
Rollerball: under 500 copies remain
Wild at Heart: under 400 copies remain

I would imagine these will all be gone in the next couple of days at most, so if you're interested, now's the time to pull the trigger. Complaints about Twilight Time's business model to re-commence in 3...2...1...
I nabbed Rollerball today. I had been on the fence about it for a while but with stock dwindling, I figured why not. Worse case scenario, I hate it and sell it back for more than I bought it for . I already bought Wild At Heart when it was released (along with Used Cars). That's one that I thought would sell faster, Used Cars. Absolutely hilarious and fantastic movie.
Old 06-29-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Twilight Time announced that they have re-licensed some titles and will be reissuing four of them in 2015. They will be upgraded with extras and in one case, a new 4k restoration.
Old 06-29-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These are the sold out titles that were released through the end of 2012 so their 3-years are up in 2015. I think it would be safe to assume that the four titles will come from this list unless they can re-release films that haven't hit the 3 year mark.

The Egyptian
Mysterious Island
Fright Night
The Big Heat
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Enemy Mine
Night of the Living Dead
Old 06-30-14, 02:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twilight Time announced that they have re-licensed some titles and will be reissuing four of them in 2015. They will be upgraded with extras and in one case, a new 4k restoration.
NotLD caught a ton of flack for it's color, darkness. Hopefully that is what gets the new restoration.
Old 06-30-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
NotLD caught a ton of flack for it's color, darkness. Hopefully that is what gets the new restoration.
Didn't the original disc have a brand new transfer already? The problem wasn't with the quality of the scan, it was with the color timing. My guess is that they would be able to tweak that without doing a new 4k scan.

I'll bet that the new 4k scan is in reference to a different tile.
Old 06-30-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My guess for the four titles are Mysterious Island, Fright Night, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and NOTLD. Out of those four titles, the most likely to get a new restoration would be Journey to the Center of the Earth. If I remember correctly, the elements used for the initial release were problematic. It's possible that they found better elements since then.
Old 06-30-14, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Didn't the original disc have a brand new transfer already? The problem wasn't with the quality of the scan, it was with the color timing. My guess is that they would be able to tweak that without doing a new 4k scan.

I'll bet that the new 4k scan is in reference to a different tile.
True, that makes sense.
Old 08-20-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Buddy Holly Story/La Bamba DVD 2-pack at on Amazon.com: $9.73

Order containing both Twilight Time Blu-ray releases of The Buddy Holly Story and La Bamba at ScreenArchives.com: $65.20

I appreciate them releasing stuff that the studios don't wanna release themselves but it's easy to see why TT releases drive people nuts. TBHS is a new restored version on TT's Blu as well whereas the DVD in that 2-pack is fullscreen.
Old 08-20-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The Buddy Holly Story/La Bamba DVD 2-pack at on Amazon.com: $9.73

Order containing both Twilight Time Blu-ray releases of The Buddy Holly Story and La Bamba at ScreenArchives.com: $65.20

I appreciate them releasing stuff that the studios don't wanna release themselves but it's easy to see why TT releases drive people nuts. TBHS is a new restored version on TT's Blu as well whereas the DVD in that 2-pack is fullscreen.
It's definitely their pricing structure that raises the ire of some consumers. It would be different if they were released to normal retail venues and people had opportunities to buy them at some future date via discount. I only consider a handful of their releases very essential given the high pricing.
Old 08-20-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

These are the sold out titles that were released through the end of 2012 so their 3-years are up in 2015. I think it would be safe to assume that the four titles will come from this list unless they can re-release films that haven't hit the 3 year mark.

The Egyptian
Mysterious Island
Fright Night
The Big Heat
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Enemy Mine
Night of the Living Dead
Fright Night will almost certainly be one of the four, as quickly as I remember it selling out.

I wonder if Night of the Living Dead is getting a 4K restoration...would be my top pick among those 8 movies I'd like to see get one.
Old 08-20-14, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
It's been released on DVD, non-anamorphic.
I think this is the first ever release for Noon Wine, actually. It was originally shot on video for television. Somewhere on some Peckinpah forum someone claimed this release is sourced from a one-inch dub of the original.
Old 08-21-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Fuck the remake of NOTLD. Give us the original remastered. I would pay their high prices for that.

I wish they would make their releases $25. Since you have to pay shipping, that would keep the price under $30. I know it sounds dumb but once you get over the 30 dollar mark, it just seems like a lot more.
Old 09-15-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone receive their copy of The Killer Elite? It's still showing pre-order status on the site, with a planned release date of Sept. 9. I couldn't find news of a delay anywhere and haven't had any issues with ordering before...my order status is pending.
Old 09-15-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Twilight Time has notified us that owing to circumstances beyond their control at the manufacturers, shipping of the September titles is likely to be delayed until around the 18th. We appreciate your patience as we know how eager you are to have the discs in your hands. Rest assured this is a very unusual situation, and that the pre-order and release dates for the much-anticipated October titles remain unaffected. Thank you for your understanding.
FWIW, TT's Buddy Holly Story looks glorious.
$30 + s/h is just about hitting the ceiling of my comfort level for replacing catalog titles on Bd. But if it's something that means a lot to me, as TBHS does, and it's presented as beautifully as it is here, I have no regrets.

I recently got in the import of Inferno and the final cost was almost $47. It's one of my favorite 50's era films, and it contains the 3D version of the film, but the elements aren't in the best of shape and in 2D the uptick in quality over the $13 MOD I had really doesn't come close to justifying the upgrade.
I'm hoping I'll feel much differently once I have 3D capability in my system- till then, this one stings.
Old 09-15-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Paul_SD;Quote:
Twilight Time has notified us that owing to circumstances beyond their control at the manufacturers, shipping of the September titles is likely to be delayed until around the 18th. We appreciate your patience as we know how eager you are to have the discs in your hands. Rest assured this is a very unusual situation, and that the pre-order and release dates for the much-anticipated October titles remain unaffected. Thank you for your understanding. .[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update!

Last edited by mike7162; 09-16-14 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-05-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Twilight Time has updated their releases date sched with the following:

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (1985) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

BREAKING AWAY (1979) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

FRIGHT NIGHT: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (1985) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

BANDIT QUEEN (1994) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

LENNY (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

LOVE AND DEATH (1975) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

THE ST VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

STORMY WEATHER (1943) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

ZARDOZ (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 24th

Glad to see a new Fright Night SE, even though I'd prefer a FN2 releases instead, but STOKED big time on The Bride Wore Black. I just watched the DVD recently, which is non-16x9 and 1.66:1. This should be a major improvement.
Old 10-05-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Defintely will be getting

Fright Night 30th Anniversary
Purple Rose of Cairo
Zardoz (a guilty preasure of mine)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.