Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

List of UHDs missing content from BDs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

The more UHDs I get, the more releases I come across that are missing content from BDs. Usually it is when the BD was two discs but the UHD only includes the first BD. Honestly, this is pretty annoying, since UHD is the premium format, they can at least include all of the discs/content from the previously released BDs. So I thought I'd come up with a list of UHDs that are missing content from BDs, and please let me know about any I am missing

For the sake of this list, I am only including regular retail USA UHDs missing content from regular retail USA BD, meaning I'm not comparing any international releases, store exclusives or from DVD releases

Missing discs from BDs (unless otherwise noted, it is missing the second BD disc)
  • Batman (1989) (missing third disc from Diamond Luxe Edition)
  • Batman v Superman: Remastered (does not come with a BD and is missing theatrical version and all old features)
  • Blade Runner (missing two BDs from Complete Collector's Edition)
  • Casablanca (missing second disc from 70th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition)
  • A Clockwork Orange (missing second disc from Anniversary Edition BD)
  • The Evil Dead (missing bonus DVD from initial BD release; The Groovy Collection features a bonus DVD with most but not all of the features from that disc as well as a couple different ones)
  • Full Metal Jacket (missing second disc from Anniversary Edition BD)
  • The Green Mile (missing second disc from Diamond Luxe Edition)
  • Gremlins (missing second disc from Diamond Luxe Edition)
  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army
  • Iron Man (missing second disc from Paramount BD)
  • Iron Man 2 (missing second disc from Paramount BD)
  • Man of Steel
  • Pacific Rim
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
  • Prometheus
  • Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture 6-Movie Collection (missing the Captain's Summit disc from the 2009 collection)
  • Superman: The Movie (only includes one disc from Anthology, or it can be complemented by the Warner Archive Extended Cut/Special Edition if you only care about the first movie)
  • The Town (missing Extended Edition with Alternate Ending disc from Ultimate Collector's Edition)
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (missing DVD from 40th Ultimate Collector's Edition)
  • Wizard of Oz (missing special features BD and DVDs from 75th CE or get the 70th BD set for all of the missing features)
  • X-Men
  • X2: X-Men United
  • X-Men: The Last Stand
Other missing content:
  • 300 (missing new features from The Complete Experience)
  • Argo (missing extended cut and second disc from Declassified Extended Edition)
  • Batman: The Long Halloween (missing the shorts The Losers and The Blue Beetle and the sneak peaks for The Long Halloween Part Two and Injustice from the individual BDs)
  • Batman Begins (missing In-Movie Experience, Stills Gallery and Confidential Files)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (missing Unleashing Dragons featurette)
  • Halloween (1978) [LionsGate] (missing an audio commentary, TV version and Halloween Unmasked 2000 featurette from Halloween Complete Collection)
  • Halloween (1978) [Scream Factory] (missing an audio commentary from 2007 BD and "On Location: 25 Years Later" from various releases)
  • The Hobbit [all three] (standalone releases have no features, Middle Earth Ultimate Collector's Edition only includes BDs that include the movies)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (missing Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon short and deleted scenes)
  • It's a Wonderful Life (missing The Making Of and trailer from Platinum Anniversary Edition BD)
  • Lord of the Rings [all three] (standalone releases have no features, Middle Earth Ultimate Collector's Edition only includes BDs that include the movies)
  • Raging Bull (missing The Bronx Bull, De Niro vs. La Motta and La Mtta Defends Title from BD)
  • Ran (missing all features from BD)
  • Robocop (missing Flesh + Steel, Shooting Robocop and Making Robocop from the remastered BD)
  • Scream (1996) (missing the trailers and TV spots)
  • Silence of the Lambs (missing the "Breaking the Silence" Picture-in-Picture feature from MGM BD as well as commentary and 2017 film critic interview from Criterion BD)
  • The Shining (1980) (missing the trailer)
  • Spaceballs (missing Mawgese and Dinkese audio track excerpts, The Art photo gallery from the BD, and the Making Of feature and a different trailer from the DVD included with the original BD)

Last edited by joltman; 02-10-23 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Various updates
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-19-20)
Old 12-30-19, 07:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: List of UHDs missing content from BDs

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/4...ried-over.html
My years of trying to keep the above thread updated taught me that pretty much every disc release has something exclusive to that release. Nothing is truly complete or definitive.
Old 12-30-19, 08:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, don’t double dip expecting to get everything from a previous release.
Old 12-30-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Rarely do the studios try to create "ultimate" editions with their latest releases. Disney drops old special features all the time. I'm not sure UHD will hang around long enough to see double and triple dips collecting all available supplements.
Old 12-30-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

It can also be exclusive or licensed content that has an expiration date on future releases. I know that's usually the case with boutique labels.
Old 12-30-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Prometheus - 2nd disc (bonus features)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Unleashing Dragons: The Making of CTHD
Wizard of Oz - a significant number of extras from both Discs 1 and 2 of the 70th Anniv. BD are not carried over

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Rarely do the studios try to create "ultimate" editions with their latest releases. Disney drops old special features all the time. I'm not sure UHD will hang around long enough to see double and triple dips collecting all available supplements.
In a few rare cases, UHD sets have reversed previous offenses on Blu-ray:

For example, the Spider-Man UHD set collects essentially all the previous supplements, many of which were DVD-only and missing from all previous BD issues.
The Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness UHD's collect all the previous supplements, some of which were retailer exclusives upon first BD issue and only collected on the 2nd issue Compendium.
Black Hawk Down 4K includes the Extended Cut and a wealth of special features that were previously DVD-only.
King Kong (2005) 4K includes the wealth of Ultimate Edition special features that were previously DVD-only.

Last edited by TheBang; 01-02-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It's been mentioned already in another thread, but the new Mission Impossible 6-movie 4K box set, which I got for Christmas, is missing a lot of bonus content.

I believe it's missing bonus content from part III, Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.
Old 12-31-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's been mentioned already in another thread, but the new Mission Impossible 6-movie 4K box set, which I got for Christmas, is missing a lot of bonus content.

I believe it's missing bonus content from part III, Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.
MI 1-5 have only one BD, so if there was a second disc of extras, it's not included. MI3 originally had a second disc of extras (the main disc has commentary only,- though it's been dropped from later re-issues (I got the disc separately on ebay). I believe MI4 and 5 had "bonus discs" from certain retailers.
Old 01-02-20, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, if you want the full complement of special features for the series, you have to add the following discs to the MI 4K box set:

MI:3 disc 2 from the original BD issue
MI:3 bonus DVD Best Buy exclusive
Ghost Protocol BD disc 2 Best Buy exclusive
Rogue Nation BD disc 2 Target exclusive

And, if you don’t care about having the movie on BD (because you only care about having 4K movie quality), you can then remove the following discs from the set without losing any bonus material:

MI:3 movie BD
Ghost Protocol movie BD
Fallout movie BD
PhantomStranger (01-03-20)
Old 01-02-20, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
The more UHDs I get, the more releases I come across that are missing content from BDs. Usually it is when the BD was two discs but the UHD only includes the first BD. Honestly, this is pretty annoying, since UHD is the premium format, they can at least include all of the discs/content from the previously released BDs. So I thought I'd come up with a list of UHDs that are missing content from BDs, and please let me know about any I am missing

For the sake of this list, I am only including regular retail USA UHDs missing content from regular retail USA BD, meaning I'm not comparing any international releases, store exclusives or from DVD releases

Missing discs from BDs (unless otherwise noted, it is missing the second BD disc)
  • Blade Runner (missing two BDs from Complete Collector's Edition)
  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army
  • Iron Man (missing second disc from Paramount BD)
  • Iron Man 2 (missing second disc from Paramount BD)
  • Pacific Rim
  • X-Men
  • X2: X-Men United
  • X-Men: The Last Stand
Other missing content:
  • The Evil Dead (missing bonus DVD from initial BD release and the cropped 1.85 version of the movie)
  • Halloween (1978) (missing an audio commentary, TV version and Halloween Unmasked 2000 from Halloween Complete Collection)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (missing Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon short and deleted scenes)
Not surprised. This crap happened with DVD releases and on BD releases. Buncha lazy-ass fucks. Over the years, extras don't matter much to me anymore and my expectations are below sea level.
Old 01-03-20, 08:17 AM

Thanks to those responding with other releases, I updated the first post with them.
Old 01-03-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

• Mission: Impossible 3
This is not quite right. If you buy the individual MI:3, Ghost Protocol, and Rogue Nation 4K releases, you get the 2nd blu-ray disc of special features in each case. If, however, you buy the 6-movie 4K set, then you do not get those discs.

• Wizard of Oz (missing special features BD and DVDs from 75th CE)
This isn't right either. There was only one new feature on the 75th BD, which also made its way to the 80th 4K. There are a number of special features on the 70th BD (discs 1 and 2) which never made it to either the 75th or 80th. So, if you want everything, you get the 4K, plus discs 1 and 2 from the 70th BD.
Old 01-04-20, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang
This is not quite right. If you buy the individual MI:3, Ghost Protocol, and Rogue Nation 4K releases, you get the 2nd blu-ray disc of special features in each case. If, however, you buy the 6-movie 4K set, then you do not get those discs.

This isn't right either. There was only one new feature on the 75th BD, which also made its way to the 80th 4K. There are a number of special features on the 70th BD (discs 1 and 2) which never made it to either the 75th or 80th. So, if you want everything, you get the 4K, plus discs 1 and 2 from the 70th BD.
I'll just remove MI3 then, if I mention that it's in the regular release but not the box set, that opens a pandora's box of more stuff, like specific re-releases that have the 4K without any BDs.

With Wizard of Oz, I was finding conflicting info regarding 70th vs 75th BDs. The one thing I'm sure was on the 70th BD and not the 75th BD is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic which is actually included on the 4K disc. Besides that, according to DVDCompare, the 75th does not have the Off to See the Wizard cartoons and Texas Contest Winners, but according to a review on Blu-ray.com, the 75th does have those. I couldn't find any other source that listed what was on the 75th. Do you personally know, or do you know another source, that lists what is on the 75th and can confirm if it includes the aforementioned cartoons and featurette?

Last edited by joltman; 01-04-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With Wizard of Oz, I was finding conflicting info regarding 70th vs 75th BDs. The one thing I'm sure was on the 70th BD and not the 75th BD is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic which is actually included on the 4K disc. Besides that, according to DVDCompare, the 75th does not have the Off to See the Wizard cartoons and Texas Contest Winners, but according to a review on Blu-ray.com, the 75th does have those. I couldn't find any other source that listed what was on the 75th. Do you personally know, or do you know another source, that lists what is on the 75th and can confirm if it includes the aforementioned cartoons and featurette?
It's a little confusing because there are so many editions of them. I've listed them below:

70th 1-disc
70th 3-disc "Emerald Edition"
70th 4-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition (box set including collectible junk) Review (also applies to 3-disc, minus the digital copy)

Disc 1 - BD movie + extras
Disc 2 - BD extras
Disc 3 - DVD movie "When the Lion Roars"
Disc 4 - Digital Copy disc

-----------------

75th 1-disc
75th 2-disc 3D Review
75th 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition (box set including collectible junk) Review

Disc 1 - BD movie + extras
Disc 2 - BD3D
Disc 3 - BD extras
Disc 4 - DVD movie + extras
Disc 5 - DVD movie "When the Lion Roars"

----------------

80th 2-disk 4K

Disc 1 - 4K movie + extras
Disc 2 - BD movie + extras

----------------

There is one feature, "The Making of The Wizard of Oz" that was new to the 75th and carried over to the 80th. One feature, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic," is on the 70th, missing from the 75th, but returns on the 80th. I don't count "When the Lion Roars" because it's not specific to Wizard of Oz, is available separately, and is also packed in with Gone with the Wind. The 80th BD movie (Disc 2) appears to be identical to the 75th BD movie disc (Disc 1).

So, if you own the 80th 4K, in order to get all of the bonus material you need either:

70th Disc 1 and Disc 2
or
75th Disc 3 and Disc 4

But if you're going with the 75th edition, you have to get the UCE box, MSRP $79.99. If you go with the 70th, you can get the much cheaper 3-disc Emerald Edition.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheBang:
John Pannozzi (01-18-22), joltman (01-07-20), PhantomStranger (01-12-20)
Old 01-22-20, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, I went through the Batman Begins 4K release tonight, and it turns out they remastered the included Blu-rays. In the process, they dropped all the more-difficult-to-author special features. It is missing the In-Movie Experience (a BonusView PiP feature), Stills Gallery, and Confidential Files.
John Pannozzi (01-13-23)
Old 01-22-20, 07:33 AM

Added Batman Begins, it looks like The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises both include everything.
Old 02-19-20, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Town 4K is missing the 2nd disc from the Ultimate Collectors Edition which has Extended Cut with Alternate Ending (and commentary) and a new documentary.
Old 02-19-20, 06:32 AM

Added The Town as well as Argo and Man of Steel
John Pannozzi (01-13-23)
Old 02-25-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Superman 4K only has the theatrical cut for the 4K and Blu-ray disc. The Blu-ray disc is the same as Disc 1 in the Superman Motion Picture Anthology. It does not have Disc 2, the 2000 Expanded Edition and its extras. To get the Expanded Edition disc, you either have to pull it from the Anthology, or perhaps the better option is to get the Warner Archive Extended Cut set, which includes both the 3-hour TV Extended Cut and the Expanded Edition (renamed as Special Edition in this set) disc (same as Disc 2 of the Anthology).
John Pannozzi (01-13-23)
Old 02-26-20, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang
Superman 4K only has the theatrical cut for the 4K and Blu-ray disc. The Blu-ray disc is the same as Disc 1 in the Superman Motion Picture Anthology. It does not have Disc 2, the 2000 Expanded Edition and its extras. To get the Expanded Edition disc, you either have to pull it from the Anthology, or perhaps the better option is to get the Warner Archive Extended Cut set, which includes both the 3-hour TV Extended Cut and the Expanded Edition (renamed as Special Edition in this set) disc (same as Disc 2 of the Anthology).
I noticed that too and was thinking about posting it, but wasn't sure. The biggest problem is there's no way to get the theatrical version of Superman II, or Superman III or IV outside of the anthology set, not to mention the last disc of special features.
John Pannozzi (01-13-23)
Old 03-14-20, 05:36 PM

I got The Shining today, and the new remastered Blu-ray that comes with the 4K includes all of the special features from the original Blu-ray EXCEPT the trailer. How the hell does that happen?
Old 11-04-21, 11:13 AM

Looking into the Scream 4K, it looks like it's missing the trailers and TV spots that were on the Blu-ray.
Old 01-18-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition 4K Remastered release from last year, it contains only a 4K disc with the extended cut. To get the theatrical cut, as well as all the extra features, you have to get the Blu-ray disc, which you can get with either the original 4K release or the Blu-ray release.

For 300 4K, it contains a copy of the original Blu-ray release, which means it is missing the new, additional extras that were created for the 300: The Complete Experience Blu-ray digibook release.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBang:
John Pannozzi (01-13-23), joltman (01-19-22)
Old 02-20-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Silence of the Lambs 4K from Kino Lorber is missing the "Breaking the Silence" Picture-in-Picture feature from the old MGM BD. It also does not have the Criterion-exclusive extras from the Criterion BD, which are the 1994 Criterion commentary and a 2017 film critic interview.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBang:
John Pannozzi (01-13-23), joltman (02-20-22)
Old 04-16-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 4K is missing BD2 full of extras from the original Blu-ray release.
joltman (04-17-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.