Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

James Bond Update

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

James Bond Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: James Bond Update

Originally Posted by Mike86
It's a nice idea to leave extra space for the upcoming film but yeah most sets like this for film franchises that continue to put out new films are sort of pointless as they'll always be incomplete. That's why I tend to buy single releases as opposed to boxed sets unless it's a franchise that has finished.
Well, the Bond 50 set is complete, since it's the first 50 year. But an overall complete Bond probably won't happen in our lifetime.

But yeah, when I'd see box sets of just the first 5 or 6 Harry Potter movies, when the next one was right around the corner, I'd just shake my head.
Old 09-18-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Target has the bundles on sale this week. Some are $9.99 and others are $14.99. But they all come with digital copies.

Old 09-18-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a nice idea to leave extra space for the upcoming film but yeah most sets like this for film franchises that continue to put out new films are sort of pointless as they'll always be incomplete. That's why I tend to buy single releases as opposed to boxed sets unless it's a franchise that has finished.

Finished like what? Die Hard? Rocky? Ghostbusters? Jurassic Park? Jason Bourne?
Old 09-18-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

No Dalton set?
Old 09-18-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
No Dalton set?
These are 3 packs so it seems Dalton is SOL.

Maybe they could combine it with Her Majesty's Secret Service as some kind leftover set.
Old 09-18-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Maybe they could combine it with Her Majesty's Secret Service as some kind leftover set.
The Also Starring Collection.
Old 09-18-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

These are 3 packs so it seems Dalton is SOL.

The Brosnan has all four of his.

Originally Posted by wishbone

Maybe throw in Never Say Never Again. If it's got Connery, that's official enough for me.
Old 09-18-15, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2nd Moore collection also has 4 movies in it.

Plus there are matching collections for Dalton (with 2 movies) and Lazenby (with 1 movie).
Old 09-18-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone

Originally Posted by wahlers
The 2nd Moore collection also has 4 movies in it.

Plus there are matching collections for Dalton (with 2 movies) and Lazenby (with 1 movie).
Not at any place I have ever seen them sold. Or are these new as of the last week or so?

What's the point of a 1 title "collection" release? Even two seems to be a stretch of the term collection.
Old 09-18-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Finished like what? Die Hard? Rocky? Ghostbusters? Jurassic Park? Jason Bourne?
I guess the main sets I was thinking of were the Back to the Future Trilogy, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Ghostbusters (I don't consider the new film part of the first two). Basically films that aren't likely to get more installments or in the case of Ghostbusters not a new film in the main franchise starring the original actors.
Old 09-18-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not at any place I have ever seen them sold. Or are these new as of the last week or so?

What's the point of a 1 title "collection" release? Even two seems to be a stretch of the term collection.

It's not so much a collection (It doesn't say collection on it) but just a reissue of OHMSS with a new cover to match the other collections.
Old 09-18-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the main sets I was thinking of were the Back to the Future Trilogy, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Ghostbusters (I don't consider the new film part of the first two). Basically films that aren't likely to get more installments or in the case of Ghostbusters not a new film in the main franchise starring the original actors.
That I would agree with. But I was responding to a post that used the term franchise. The franchises are I mentioned are got, or are getting, new movies added. All could get packaged with the previous movies in a new franchise set/collection.

I would have named Mad Max, but I figured that was obvious since the new 4 movie franchise set has already been released. Or does that not count? If it was asked ten years ago if a Mad Max set was complete, how many would have said no?
Old 09-18-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson

It's not so much a collection (It doesn't say collection on it) but just a reissue of OHMSS with a new cover to match the other collections.
Thanks. Have never seen that listed at any site.

Am I the only one that finds that release ridiculous? If you're going to get them all, just buy the big set. I always figured the smaller collections were for those that, like me buying Connery Vol. 1, don't plan on buying (or upgrading) every title in the franchise.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-18-15 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-18-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's why they're doing it that way. I haven't seen a Bond film before Goldeneye, so I picked up the other Brosnan collection a while back and picked up Tomorrow Never Dies separately since it didn't come with it. I have no interest in owning the whole collection since I know I would never get around to watching the whole thing.
Old 09-18-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to Target over lunch and they indeed only have the Brosnan and Craig films as separate releases with the movie cash. I suspect we could be dealing with retailer exclusives again unless Target is too stupid to realize far more people would want some of the Connery and Moore releases over a couple of those Brosnan stinkers and QOS.
Old 09-18-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Dunno why, but the steelbooks look a little less impressive/less cool in person than they did in pics.
I disagree. Mine came in the mail today and I think the glossy finish looks even better in person.
Old 09-18-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks. Have never seen that listed at any site.
George Lazenby
http://www.amazon.com/George-Lazenby...dp/B0126ZKKII/

Timothy Dalton Collection
http://www.amazon.com/007-Timothy-Da...dp/B0126ZKK56/
Old 09-18-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think that's why they're doing it that way. I haven't seen a Bond film before Goldeneye, so I picked up the other Brosnan collection a while back and picked up Tomorrow Never Dies separately since it didn't come with it. I have no interest in owning the whole collection since I know I would never get around to watching the whole thing.
Really? Brosnan was your 1st exposure to Bond?

So you're only set on watching/owning the Brosnan and Craig editions?

You should re-consider trying to watch Moore's Bonds. He did 7 movies and the guy is almost 90 years old now. He turns 88 next month. He may not have much time left. Moore is probably regarded as the most popular Bond.
Old 09-18-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or catch the first 3 with Connery since much of the stuff with Moore is shit (not all Moore's fault)
Old 09-18-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You should re-consider trying to watch Moore's Bonds. He did 7 movies and the guy is almost 90 years old now. He turns 88 next month. He may not have much time left. Moore is probably regarded as the most popular Bond.
You make it sound like once Moore dies we won't be able to watch those movies anymore.

And Moore as the most popular Bond? That seems a bit of a stretch.
Old 09-18-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
He's my least favorite. I doubt I'm alone. Although I admit it's partially unfair to rank GL and TD higher since they were not given as many attempts to fail.
Old 09-18-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You make it sound like once Moore dies we won't be able to watch those movies anymore.

Popular may not have been the right word. Prolific is probably more accurate since he starred in 7 movies.

CBS news did a poll last year and Connery is the most popular Bond.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news...st-james-bond/

I know not all of Moore's Bonds were good, but he added a little more humor to it which I liked.
Old 09-18-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm sure Connery is the most popular Bond, but Moore did a lot of movies when the series might have been at its peak of popularity, so maybe he had the most adjusted box office?

He's the one I grew up with, so he's "my" Bond, despite the others turning out better movies.
Old 09-20-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Picked up two of the BD steel books (Diamonds and You Only Live Twice), since I didn't have them on Blu. I'm one of those who got shafted back in 2009 when fucking MGM stopped producing these:

Old 09-20-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm sure Connery is the most popular Bond, but Moore did a lot of movies when the series might have been at its peak of popularity, so maybe he had the most adjusted box office?

He's the one I grew up with, so he's "my" Bond, despite the others turning out better movies.
Yeah I think Moore had the advantage of being Bond during a prime era for the character and the spy genre in general. Plus he played the character for a long time so to a lot of people he was Bond. Personally Dalton is my favorite Bond. I always wished he would have had more chances to play the character which may have happened if not for the legal issues with the series and gap between films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.