Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

My Target had plenty, but it sucks that the stupid "exclusive" sticker won't come off easily.
Old 03-29-11, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came off easily
Old 03-29-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I grabbed one @ Target on my lunch break. They had it in one of those security cases and the cashier had a hard time getting it open. Then she almost tore it to shit getting it out. But she didn't, and it's a damn nice package.
Old 03-29-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Well, hm, on the other hand, I hate it when the studios do exclusives at certain stores and I'm not sure if I want to encourage the practice... Why should customers who paid for the product not get as much as other customers because they didn't go to a soul-sucking gay-bashing Target? Hm. Back to having to think this thing through.
I definitely appreciate and share your apprehension to supporting Target. I do shop there from time to time, though, and I content myself that not every Target employee is a homophobic hate-monger. Lady Gaga ending her arrangement with Target will send a much greater message than my abstaining from shopping there. Besides, who's their competition? Exploitative Walmart? Best Buy? For that matter, Black Swan is a Fox release and I strongly oppose Rupert Murdoch and his politics. Would it matter where I bought this, if he's going to profit from it regardless?

My point in all this is that it gets awfully tricky to have principles when it comes to commercial art. There are so many people who stand to benefit from the purchase that if you carry out your opposition to them to its logical conclusion, you'd never buy anything. Maybe your feelings on the matter mean that much to you; if so, I applaud your willpower and integrity. I, on the other hand, have long ago accepted that I am morally compromised as a consumer.
Old 03-29-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Were your discs in that order or did you rearrange them after opening? Because that's exactly how I rearranged my discs.

Best Buy blew it with this pricing. By charging 22.99 for this release while the Target next door has it for 19.99 with an extra disc, I think they may find a lot of savvy customers bailing on the preorder.
Originally Posted by Kory
Best Buy is $22.99 in-store, but you can price-match their website, which has it for $19.99. It's part of their policy, so don't let them deny you.
It's $22.99 in the ad, but it's actually $19.99 in-store. I saw it tagged $19.99 two separate places in the store.
Old 03-29-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beyond thrilled I went with the Target version. The packaging is much nicer. Plus, coming with a DVD for the same price made it all the more sweet.
Old 03-29-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Anyone else have a problem with the plastic sealed to the spine? I did and it ruined my nice, clear case.
Old 03-29-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I definitely appreciate and share your apprehension to supporting Target. I do shop there from time to time, though, and I content myself that not every Target employee is a homophobic hate-monger. Lady Gaga ending her arrangement with Target will send a much greater message than my abstaining from shopping there. Besides, who's their competition? Exploitative Walmart? Best Buy? For that matter, Black Swan is a Fox release and I strongly oppose Rupert Murdoch and his politics. Would it matter where I bought this, if he's going to profit from it regardless?

My point in all this is that it gets awfully tricky to have principles when it comes to commercial art. There are so many people who stand to benefit from the purchase that if you carry out your opposition to them to its logical conclusion, you'd never buy anything. Maybe your feelings on the matter mean that much to you; if so, I applaud your willpower and integrity. I, on the other hand, have long ago accepted that I am morally compromised as a consumer.
Yeah, I agree. Was being a little tongue in cheek. See, I want my purchase to be perfect.

I think I'm going with Target because it's the same price and an extra disc. I may never use that extra disc, but who knows? Some cute girl may want to borrow the DVD of Black Swan and I'll be there to save the day.

I just have to remember to wait a couple weeks for my preorder to expire and then go back and get a refund on my $5 down.
Old 03-29-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Anyone else have a problem with the plastic sealed to the spine? I did and it ruined my nice, clear case.
Yup. A couple of us posted on the previous page about it.

As much as I like the clear case, that kind of stuff annoys me. I had an extra 3-Disc Elite sitting around so I just swapped cases.
Old 03-29-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Yup. A couple of us posted on the previous page about it.

As much as I like the clear case, that kind of stuff annoys me. I had an extra 3-Disc Elite sitting around so I just swapped cases.
I'm taking it back and I'm asking for another one as long as they have them in stock. I really wish that the production lines would get their heads out of their bungs and prevent this from happening.
Old 03-30-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought it at Best Buy because I went for the ridiculous "preorder" thing a month or so ago. They gave you $5 off any BD if you preordered.
Old 03-30-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, hm, on the other hand, I hate it when the studios do exclusives at certain stores and I'm not sure if I want to encourage the practice... Why should customers who paid for the product not get as much as other customers because they didn't go to a soul-sucking gay-bashing Target? Hm. Back to having to think this thing through.
It's funny that you say this because the cashier that checked me out (not that kind of checked me out, at least I don't think) was indeed of the homosexual persuasion.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 03-30-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Spoiler:
This is practically the poster child as to why you can't use eco cases with artwork, and a good reminder as to why a lot of us don't like these ugly things.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I grabbed one @ Target on my lunch break. They had it in one of those security cases and the cashier had a hard time getting it open. Then she almost tore it to shit getting it out. But she didn't, and it's a damn nice package.
When my cashier looked like she was going to pull with all her might, I offered to do it, which she was fine with. It was fiddly, but came out fine. I wonder how many slipcovers were spoiled at the registers because of those plastic boxes?
Old 03-30-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What pissed me off is when they do tear the slip cover and you get upset and they act like you shouldn't care. I've had that happen a few times when they're trying to rip it out of those stupid plastic boxes.
Old 03-30-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

What pissed me off is when they do tear the slip cover and you get upset and they act like you shouldn't care. I've had that happen a few times when they're trying to rip it out of those stupid plastic boxes.
That's one thing I fucking despise about Target... their "loss prevention" tactics.

It pisses me off to end the lengths they go to prevent people from stealing, most of which end up damaging the merchandise. They stick every fucking blu-ray they have into those tight little cases that crush and tear slipcovers and cardboard cases. And for boxed sets that won't fit in those things, they wrap them up in spiders that fuck up the cases.

I had planned on buying True Blood season two there to get their exclusive bonus disc, but every fucking copy they had was wrapped up in a spider that put eight little quarter-inch dents into the package.
Old 03-30-11, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's one thing I fucking despise about Target... their "loss prevention" tactics.

It pisses me off to end the lengths they go to prevent people from stealing, most of which end up damaging the merchandise. They stick every fucking blu-ray they have into those tight little cases that crush and tear slipcovers and cardboard cases. And for boxed sets that won't fit in those things, they wrap them up in spiders that fuck up the cases.

I had planned on buying True Blood season two there to get their exclusive bonus disc, but every fucking copy they had was wrapped up in a spider that put eight little quarter-inch dents into the package.
I really am glad I live in a city where my target doesn't do that yet. I guess it's on a nice enough part of town that they don't feel the need to use those security cases. The walmart near me uses them and they're usually such a pain in the butt.
Old 03-30-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work at Target. People were trying to steal stuff nearly every week. I swear, they had the cops on speed dial. It's really not surprising the steps they have taken.
Old 03-30-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I used to work at Target. People were trying to steal stuff nearly every week. I swear, they had the cops on speed dial. It's really not surprising the steps they have taken.
Butch Cassidy: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful!
Guard: People kept robbin' it.
Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty!
Old 03-30-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just picked mine up from Target. I had to grab almost every copy of the movie to find a case that wasn't bent or torn from the Loss Prevention case. Thankfully the cashier was a pro at taking them out so I didn't have any problems. I've had cashiers who for the life of them couldn't figure out how to open them. I've also seen cashier's rip them out of the case, damaging the slipcovers.
Old 03-30-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I've also seen cashier's rip them out of the case, damaging the slipcovers.
I saw a Target cashier dig one out of a case with a screwdriver a couple of years ago.

This was back when they had those $5 off any blu-ray coupons, and I was holding a nice-sized stack of blus. I quickly went into a different line.
Old 03-31-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Target was all sold out, so I went ahead and honored my pre-order at Best Buy.
Old 03-31-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
It's funny that you say this because the cashier that checked me out (not that kind of checked me out, at least I don't think) was indeed of the homosexual persuasion.
How did you find that out?
Old 03-31-11, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
How did you find that out?
Sometimes you just know.
Old 03-31-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Buy didn't have the goofy boxes but they do have the price sticker on the slip cover which apparently does not come off. Does everyone throw these slip covers away? Why would they put this price sticker on and not have it come off easily?
Old 03-31-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
All the discs have those security squares inside them, don't they? Of course there is going to be shrinkage. That's the cost of being a big-box behemoth. But there comes a point where you are inconveniencing your customers.

Walk 6 aisles over and there will something far more expensive than a BD without any sort of security measure in place. It's dumb.

I opened a DVD a couple weeks ago I've had wrapped on my shelf. It was shrink wrapped and had all three sides taped shut with the security tape. It was pretty infuriating to be punished for buying a product because a store cannot manage their loss prevention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.