Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

Old 03-31-11, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010) -- 3/29/2011

Originally Posted by mink-e
I got lucky in that I didn't get any shrinkwrap stuck to the spine, but it looks like that sticker will be hanging around for awhile. Still, getting superior packaging (no eco-crap) and a DVD I probably won't use for cheaper than the regular version in most other stores counts as a win in my book.
I actually thought my sticker was gonna leave alot of residue behind but it really didn't, once I pulled it off I used the sticker itself to get the residue off the case, now it's fine.
Old 04-01-11, 11:06 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I did. What I'm trying to say is that the Blu-ray is not going to win any prizes for PQ either.
What's wrong with the blu? I haven't seen any negative comments here.
Old 04-01-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High praise from RAH, words to be read for anyone who takes exception to the grain (the intended look of the film)

To be clear, this discussion references Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan, with newly anointed Academy Award winner Natalie Portman in the lead, as opposed to Henry King's 1942 The Black Swan, starring Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, also a Fox film.

I've just spent quality time with the new Blu-ray, and have come away, not only impressed, but with the opinion that it is one of the most beautiful, and perfect representations of film on Blu-ray that we've seen the format began.

Photographed on 16mm Fuji stock, as well as via different Canon DSLRs, Black Swan is a superior entertainment, and joins one of a small group of Blu-ray discs derived from film that appears perfect in every way.

Cinematographer Matthew Libatique's work shines on this Blu-ray, yielding an image that I would find very difficult to distinguish from a film print, with the exception of the added steadiness of a digital image. Derived from a DI, with authentic grain structure, perfect black levels, and gorgeous color, Black Swan is as good as it gets. Kudos go out to everyone not only in the production, but in the post-production pipeline at Technicolor and Fox, down the the final compression to Blu-ray.

For those who wish to learn, here's a great link:

http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/De...Swan/page1.php

As always, I suggest supporting the ASC and American Cinematographer with a subscription.

As an aside, I note that Black Swan is a rarity in home video packaging, as the jacket contains no formal credit block.

Fox's Black Swan on Blu-ray is Very Highly Recommended.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...wan-in-blu-ray
Old 05-01-11, 06:22 AM
TAC

Is Target still carrying the exclusive version? And if so anyone know the price? Thanks
Old 05-01-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One question I had, that I didn't see addressed in that ASC interview, is why did they decide to hard-matte the film down to 2.40:1? The Super-16 would have been a 16:9 image when shot, and when you're watching the film it just doesn't have that "scope" look like it would normally if shot at that ratio (it looks 'flat'). I kept wanting to see it opened up, it just looks odd. Was this actually done with the lenses or done in the DI?