Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-03-09, 08:15 PM   #1
PHMustang2000

Can Blu-Ray Players Play Region 2 DVDs?

I am purchasing a PS3 in a couple days and from what I know about Blu-ray is that it is region free??

So does this mean it can also play region 2 DVD's or any other regions?
Old 01-03-09, 08:26 PM   #2
Gizmo
DVD Talk Hero

Blu-ray is NOT Region Free
DVD is NOT Region Free.

As of today, 1/3/2009, there is only ONE Stand Alone Blu-ray player that is Region free fr both Blu-ray and DVD, and that is the LG 200 Blu-ray/HD DVD Combo player. The PS3 only plays Region A Blu-rays and Region 1 (and I would assume 0) DVDs.

Blu-ray region coding isn't a bad as DVD, but there are still many titles only available in Region B and C (A is USA/Canada)
Old 01-03-09, 09:58 PM   #3
Nick Martin
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not only that, but there's the issue of PAL.

PS3 will not play a PAL video file either, be it an MPEG video file taken from a DVD source, or an AVI or Divx file.

HOWEVER, with Blu-ray there is no PAL or NTSC issue with the HD presentations of the film, except (possibly) with additional bonus material in standard definition on those BDs, but I'm not 100% on that last part.

So watching a european Blu-ray Disc means not suffering with PAL speedup on the film itself, at least.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 01-03-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 10:48 PM   #4
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Blu-ray is NOT Region Free
DVD is NOT Region Free.

As of today, 1/3/2009, there is only ONE Stand Alone Blu-ray player that is Region free fr both Blu-ray and DVD, and that is the LG 200 Blu-ray/HD DVD Combo player. The PS3 only plays Region A Blu-rays and Region 1 (and I would assume 0) DVDs.

Blu-ray region coding isn't a bad as DVD, but there are still many titles only available in Region B and C (A is USA/Canada)
There are other countries in Region A, most notably Japan.

Quick country/territory reference guide to Blu-Ray Regions:
Region A: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.
Region B: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Region C: India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.

Last edited by movielib; 01-03-09 at 10:53 PM.